Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Above gorund swimming pools

On Jun 24, 4:50*pm, " wrote:
On Jun 24, 9:05*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Here are some numbers...

Pools : 260

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07195.html

Guns : 3792

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/00...naldeath98.htm

Got better ones?

It would seem that guns are 10x more dangerous.

TMT

In Chapter 5 of Freakonomics, which explores the art and science of
parenting, we pose this question: Which is more dangerous, a gun or a
swimming pool? It turns out that far more children die each year in
swimming pool accidents than in gun incidents. For parents in warm-
weather states like Florida, California, and Arizona, this is plainly
a year-round concern, and now that summer seems to have leapt over
spring (at least here in New York City, where it hit 80 F. yesterday),
swimming-pool season is nearly here for all of us.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Dan

I just posted the statistics...that prove otherwise.

Your turn to provide better numbers.

TMT

Freakonomics is a book worth reading even though it is easy reading.
So check it out of your library. I would give you the source for the
numbers in the book, but
I do not own a copy.

Your numbers are not compatible. *The one for deaths in swimming pools
is for children under 5. *The number for gun deaths is for minors up
to age 19 or 21. *I forget which. *And I think it includes intentional
deaths as well as accident.

Feel free to look for better numbers...just make sure that you have
credible references.

I would be interested in seeing them.

I tried to get stats from what I considered to be credible sources.

TMT