Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] is offline

Default OT Above gorund swimming pools

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:45:50 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:
On Jun 23, 2:18*pm, "Steve W." wrote:
stryped wrote:
On Jun 23, 10:32 am, "Steve W." wrote:
stryped wrote:

My kids and wife are wanting an above ground swimming pool. Money is
kind of tight and was wondering if a person could buy a used on off
craigslist or if a used pool is not a good idea. Are they hard to
install yourself?

Not hard to install. Level chunk of ground. Put 3-4" of clean sand down.
Set up frame and install liner. Connect up filter pump, Fill with water
and check the PH and bacteria with a test kit.

Fill with water, and then go Eeeeeew! because it'll be brown-black
from the average city supply - lots of dissolved and suspended dirt.
You need a good Diatomaceous Earth filter and a few days and several
full "turns" of the water to scrub the grunge out of the water before
people are going to want to get into it.

Cartridge filters aren't worth the powder it takes to blow them
to... And sand filters aren't a lot better for filtering efficiency -
their only advantage is they are cheap to build on a massive scale.

Biggest problem with used is the liner. Holes are NOT good...

If the liner is more than three to five years old, be very wary.
Vinyl deteriorates. You might be able to patch it now, but it'll get
progressively worse.

Same thing with the thin sheetmetal style sidewalls - if there is a
little rust now, it won't take long before there is lots.

One problem is my lot is not perfectly level. How can I level it by
hand?

Well you can dig the high spots down and toss the fill into the low
spots. Not fun but can be done.

How much are liner.

How high is the sky? *Depends on the pools size, shape, liner material,
color. Low end probably $150.00 high end $3000.00+

Could I use my single turing plow on the back of my 8n to level?????

Just thinking....

You can use the plow to break up the sod and hard-pack soil on the
high side, but once you get it all loose a Gannon box grader would be
the hot ticket to get it all level.

Some Gannons have a set of retractable rip blades built in, and would
do it all at once - with several passes.

And to set the level on the pad if you dont have a Surveyor's dumpy
level, or a rotary laser level or other fancy means, use the old
stand-by - a water level.

Garden hose with two adapters and two chunks of clear vinyl tubing,
and two yardsticks to compare the ends against each other. KISS
personified.

-- Bruce --