Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Vacuum generator venturi - any made one?

I want to try putting together a quick vacuum generator that runs off
compressed air (run of an 8 gallon tank up to 130 PSI.

I'll be using it for desoldering so I think I want a reasonably strong
vacuum, but the volume is not all that high. It will probably be used in
"burst mode" - with a burst of vacuum for a few seconds being needed
intermittently.

Heaps of googling and patent searching has turned up lots of commercial
products and on or two water powered vacuum generators but not much in the
way of pneumatic ones.

I'm hoping for a real quick & simple design - any build one or point me to
some plans?

thanks
D.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Den wrote:
I want to try putting together a quick vacuum generator that runs off
compressed air (run of an 8 gallon tank up to 130 PSI.

I'll be using it for desoldering so I think I want a reasonably strong
vacuum, but the volume is not all that high. It will probably be used in
"burst mode" - with a burst of vacuum for a few seconds being needed
intermittently.

Heaps of googling and patent searching has turned up lots of commercial
products and on or two water powered vacuum generators but not much in the
way of pneumatic ones.

I'm hoping for a real quick & simple design - any build one or point me to
some plans?

thanks
D.

I've not made one before but have used the likes of this
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...ct&R=289542 8
, Cheap and seemed to work well for the purpose which was to draw the
air from a bell jar for vacuum de-aerating some silicon moulding
material. Hope that helps or do you specifically want to make one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Billington wrote:
Den wrote:

[...]

Harbor Freight use to have one in their inventory, not sure if they
still do.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Billington" wrote in message
Den wrote:
[...]

I'm a cheap skate - good link but, it's available from the distributor in my
part of the world too. At that price it's not worth the effort of trying to
make something. Other commercial units I found were 3 or 4 times this price.
Thanks - I need something else from RS, I might just expand the order...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Den wrote:
I want to try putting together a quick vacuum generator that runs off
compressed air (run of an 8 gallon tank up to 130 PSI.

I'll be using it for desoldering so I think I want a reasonably strong
vacuum, but the volume is not all that high. It will probably be used in
"burst mode" - with a burst of vacuum for a few seconds being needed
intermittently.

Heaps of googling and patent searching has turned up lots of commercial
products and on or two water powered vacuum generators but not much in the
way of pneumatic ones.

I'm hoping for a real quick & simple design - any build one or point me to
some plans?

thanks
D.

Well, having bought a "proper" solder / desolder station several years
ago, without vac pump, I sniffed around places like surplus center,
goldmine etc. and ended up with a small compressor, 12 volt, that
works a treat. Just get one that has a hook-uppable "suck" port.
This one is about C or D size battery, including motor.
Footswitch made it usable for those without 3 hands... /mark

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 20:52:12 +0800, "Den"
wrote:

I want to try putting together a quick vacuum generator that runs off
compressed air (run of an 8 gallon tank up to 130 PSI.

I'll be using it for desoldering so I think I want a reasonably strong
vacuum, but the volume is not all that high. It will probably be used in
"burst mode" - with a burst of vacuum for a few seconds being needed
intermittently.

Heaps of googling and patent searching has turned up lots of commercial
products and on or two water powered vacuum generators but not much in the
way of pneumatic ones.

I'm hoping for a real quick & simple design - any build one or point me to
some plans?

thanks
D.

Check the drop box. I think Nick Mueller posted some plans. Also,
they're available from Harbor Freight for well under $20:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Den wrote:
I want to try putting together a quick vacuum generator that runs off
compressed air (run of an 8 gallon tank up to 130 PSI.

I'll be using it for desoldering so I think I want a reasonably strong
vacuum, but the volume is not all that high. It will probably be used in
"burst mode" - with a burst of vacuum for a few seconds being needed
intermittently.

Heaps of googling and patent searching has turned up lots of commercial
products and on or two water powered vacuum generators but not much in the
way of pneumatic ones.

I'm hoping for a real quick & simple design - any build one or point me to
some plans?

thanks
D.

Nick Müller has a pdf on a 2 piece pump that is VERY simple to make. It
is made using one male air line connection and a piece of hex stock.
If you don't find it drop me a quick note at csr684 AT yahoo DOT com and
I can send it to you. It is a single page pdf.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 20:52:12 +0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Den" quickly quoth:

I want to try putting together a quick vacuum generator that runs off
compressed air (run of an 8 gallon tank up to 130 PSI.

I'll be using it for desoldering so I think I want a reasonably strong
vacuum, but the volume is not all that high. It will probably be used in
"burst mode" - with a burst of vacuum for a few seconds being needed
intermittently.

Heaps of googling and patent searching has turned up lots of commercial
products and on or two water powered vacuum generators but not much in the
way of pneumatic ones.

I'm hoping for a real quick & simple design - any build one or point me to
some plans?

They're noisy, wasteful, and don't suck as well as they should.

But don't reinvent the wheel when models are available:
(I'll believe 28.3" of mercury when I see it.)

Better yet, go carbon:

http://tinyurl.com/5susk7 or http://tinyurl.com/6crtmm

--
Challenges are gifts that force us to search for a new center of gravity.
Don't fight them. Just find a different way to stand.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Den wrote:
[...]

Do a search on "vacuum bagging". Nearly all the sites selling vacuum
bagging supplies sell a small air operated vacuum generators.

Or just make one. They are just a venturi in an air line tapped for a
vacuum line at the smallest portion of the venturi.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mark F" wrote in message
Den wrote:
[...]

Jeez - too many options! I've got a surplus little 12V compressor in my junk
pile, I'll go and pull the covers off and see whats inside. Did you use a
tank/reservoir or "turn on to suck"?
thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

Unfortunately I'm downunder - surplus stuff is hard to come by & we don't
have a harbour freight!
You guys in the states (well some of you at least) seem pretty lucky having
access to surplus gear & stores like harbour freight.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
Den wrote:
[...]

Hi Steve - I've sent you a PM.
thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

years ago, I was given a self powered pace desoldering handset. I didn't
have a vacuum source. A quick trip to the thrift store and for about 2
bucks, I got a home vacuum sealer system. The system was gutted for the
vacuum pump and given a short bit of fish tank air hose and an electrical
foot switch. it been working great for at least 10 years.

bob in phx
ps. if you see any of my mates from the states down there be sure to say
hi!!!
here is their website.
http://sumrrrtime.blogspot.com/

"Den" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Den" wrote:

I want to try putting together a quick vacuum generator that runs off
compressed air (run of an 8 gallon tank up to 130 PSI.

I'll be using it for desoldering so I think I want a reasonably strong
vacuum, but the volume is not all that high. It will probably be used in
"burst mode" - with a burst of vacuum for a few seconds being needed
intermittently.

Heaps of googling and patent searching has turned up lots of commercial
products and on or two water powered vacuum generators but not much in the
way of pneumatic ones.

I'm hoping for a real quick & simple design - any build one or point me to
some plans?

thanks
D.

http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/vacu...ri_sketch2.jpg
http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/venturi.txt

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 19:29:21 +0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Den" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
They're noisy, wasteful, and don't suck as well as they should.

But don't reinvent the wheel when models are available:
(I'll believe 28.3" of mercury when I see it.)

Better yet, go carbon:

http://tinyurl.com/5susk7 or http://tinyurl.com/6crtmm

Unfortunately I'm downunder - surplus stuff is hard to come by & we don't
have a harbour freight!

Ouch! Shipping to/from AU really sucks since everyone doing it adds a
quintuple charge to do so. I thought you had a store like HFT down
there, though. From what I've gleaned here and on the Wreck a few
years ago, much of our HFT/Northern stuff is available in Canada at
Crappy Tire or Princess Auto. I could have sworn that you had a
similar outlet there. How about eBay.au?

You guys in the states (well some of you at least) seem pretty lucky having
access to surplus gear & stores like harbour freight.

Amen to that. We're triply blessed with Surplus Center, Northern, and
HFT.

Speakni of surplus, I just saw today's www.WOOT.com offering: A
recertified 750GB SATA/300 hard drive for $77.77 + $5 s/h. 750GB on a
3.5" form factor drive. UFR!

I paid $300 for my first hard drive, a 20MB Seagate.

--
Challenges are gifts that force us to search for a new center of gravity.
Don't fight them. Just find a different way to stand.
-- Oprah Winfrey

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Den wrote:
I want to try putting together a quick vacuum generator that runs off
compressed air (run of an 8 gallon tank up to 130 PSI.

I'll be using it for desoldering so I think I want a reasonably strong
vacuum, but the volume is not all that high. It will probably be used in
"burst mode" - with a burst of vacuum for a few seconds being needed
intermittently.

Heaps of googling and patent searching has turned up lots of commercial
products and on or two water powered vacuum generators but not much in the
way of pneumatic ones.

I'm hoping for a real quick & simple design - any build one or point me to
some plans?

I use vacuum clamping for CNC routing - and my vacuum pump is an old
(~25 yo) refrigerator compressor. It's low CFM, but pulls 24+" of vacuum
and is nearly silent.

It'd be fairly easy to expand the capacity by using a small air tank,
and a sensor/switch of some sort to control the compressor would be a
real convenience.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob in Phx wrote:
years ago, I was given a self powered pace desoldering handset. I didn't
have a vacuum source. A quick trip to the thrift store and for about 2
bucks, I got a home vacuum sealer system. The system was gutted for the
vacuum pump and given a short bit of fish tank air hose and an electrical
foot switch. it been working great for at least 10 years.

bob in phx
ps. if you see any of my mates from the states down there be sure to say
hi!!!
here is their website.
http://sumrrrtime.blogspot.com/

Bob you just reminded me a good source might be a local breaker yard and
a VW with central looking. I have had 2 Passats and they use a small air
pump to operate the central locking. IIRC they suck to lock and blow to
unlock.

"Den" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Den wrote:
I want to try putting together a quick vacuum generator that runs off
compressed air (run of an 8 gallon tank up to 130 PSI.

I'll be using it for desoldering so I think I want a reasonably strong
vacuum, but the volume is not all that high. It will probably be used in
"burst mode" - with a burst of vacuum for a few seconds being needed
intermittently.

A commercial unit is the "Ped-a-Vac", I think it has a 2-stage
venturi system, and gets a strong vacuum even with some leakage
at the tip. You might look on eBay for one.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Den" wrote in message
I want to try putting together a quick vacuum generator that runs off
compressed air (run of an 8 gallon tank up to 130 PSI.

I'll be using it for desoldering so I think I want a reasonably strong
vacuum, but the volume is not all that high. It will probably be used in
"burst mode" - with a burst of vacuum for a few seconds being needed
intermittently.

Heaps of googling and patent searching has turned up lots of commercial
products and on or two water powered vacuum generators but not much in the
way of pneumatic ones.

I'm hoping for a real quick & simple design - any build one or point me to
some plans?

thanks
D.

I just use the venturi effect on an air brush, connect a small hose to the
spiggot that usually sits in the little glass jar. I just let the compressor
cycle on and off when it drops pressure.

For bagging I use ziplock, with some Blutack to seal the hose and bag
properly. Recently I lashed out on a pair of automotive brake hose clamps to
close off the vacuum hose.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 13:21:09 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Den wrote:
I want to try putting together a quick vacuum generator that runs off
compressed air (run of an 8 gallon tank up to 130 PSI.

I'll be using it for desoldering so I think I want a reasonably strong
vacuum, but the volume is not all that high. It will probably be used in
"burst mode" - with a burst of vacuum for a few seconds being needed
intermittently.

A commercial unit is the "Ped-a-Vac", I think it has a 2-stage
venturi system, and gets a strong vacuum even with some leakage
at the tip. You might look on eBay for one.

Jon

Hell...check the second hand stores for a breast milk pump.

I picked up a really neat looking pump for desoldering..all chrome and
nicely made...and when I got it home..the ex asked what I was doing
with a breast milk pumping unit....blink blink....is that what it
is??????

Gunner, who keeps a speculum on the coffee table to embaress guys and
make their wives laugh their asses off at them.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those
who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality",
John F. Kennedy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 07:26:28 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 19:29:21 +0800 "Den" quickly quoth:
"Larry Jaques" ...\

They're noisy, wasteful, and don't suck as well as they should.

But don't reinvent the wheel when models are available:
(I'll believe 28.3" of mercury when I see it.)

Better yet, go carbon:
http://tinyurl.com/5susk7 or http://tinyurl.com/6crtmm

Any real vacuum pump will be better vacuum and much more efficient
than an air venturi vacuum pump. An Oil Diffusion unit for
refrigeration is overkill for desoldering, a simple diaphragm or
oilless piston compressor will do nicely.

You can store vacuum from a slow compressor to get the bursts you
need for desoldering, but the tank needs to be either very heavy wall,
a perfect sphere and/or internally reinforced, or they'll collapse.

Unfortunately I'm downunder - surplus stuff is hard to come by & we don't
have a harbour freight!

Ouch! Shipping to/from AU really sucks since everyone doing it adds a
quintuple charge to do so. I thought you had a store like HFT down
there, though. From what I've gleaned here and on the Wreck a few
years ago, much of our HFT/Northern stuff is available in Canada at
Crappy Tire or Princess Auto. I could have sworn that you had a
similar outlet there. How about eBay.au?

Somebody in Oz will find a market in importing and reselling this
stuff, the trick is finding them.

You guys in the states (well some of you at least) seem pretty lucky having
access to surplus gear & stores like harbour freight.

And actual industrial gear like vacuum pumps that need a simple
rebuild, but the MegaCorporate factory that owned it can't be
bothered. They toss it out, someone rescues it and fixes it...

Amen to that. We're triply blessed with Surplus Center, Northern, and
HFT.

And you can often find deals at larger outfits when they realize
that widget's been sitting on the shelf for five years with no hope of
moving at full price. (When it has three or four annual inventory
count stickers on the box, that's the time to ask for a deal.)

Speaking of surplus, I just saw today's www.WOOT.com offering: A
recertified 750GB SATA/300 hard drive for $77.77 + $5 s/h. 750GB on a
3.5" form factor drive. UFR!

I paid $300 for my first hard drive, a 20MB Seagate.

If you find another one, let me know. I want to get the old PC-XT
running for ****s and giggles, and the *replacement* 42 MB MFM drive
died - still have the original 20MB that they said we'd never fill...

Any way to backwards-interface an IDE to look like a MFM?

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:
[...]

You've got me thinking, I was involved in a small scale project
producing an IDE interface for a MC68000 based computer in the early
1990s. IIRC the MFM came before IDE, the IDE being basically a selected
group of the AT bus signals provided to the IDE (Integrated Drive
Electronics) drive so it appeared the same as MFM to the software, the
HD control electronics being moved from the controller card plugged into
the motherboard to the HD hence IDE. You would require some address
decode and take the necessary bus signals out to the IDE drive, the
address decode circuitry is trivial IIRC . The original drives had the
same/ head/sector/track mapping but as the size grew the original design
couldn't cope with the increased capacity so translation mode came in
where the drive re-mapped the head/sector/track provided by the OS to
the actual internal configuration of the HD. Maybe the result is you can
drop a 1Tb IDE drive into your XT and it sees a much smaller drive, it
will be limited IIRC.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 15:53:59 -0700, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

I paid $300 for my first hard drive, a 20MB Seagate.

If you find another one, let me know. I want to get the old PC-XT
running for ****s and giggles, and the *replacement* 42 MB MFM drive
died - still have the original 20MB that they said we'd never fill...

Any way to backwards-interface an IDE to look like a MFM?

-- Bruce --

Ive probably got a bunch of MFM and RRL(?) drives kicking around the
house....still have some carcass XTs.

Ill be getting to that particular storage area in a week or two. You
are welcome to any or all of it

Gunner

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those
who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality",
John F. Kennedy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
wrote:

Den wrote:
[...]

Some shiny clear acrylic speculums appeared as "ice tongs" at a birthday
party many years ago. Pretty much all of the guys were oblivious to what
they were and they had a hard time loading ice into their drinks.

PS - they were new & unused.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those
who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality",
John F. Kennedy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob in Phx" wrote in message
years ago, I was given a self powered pace desoldering handset. I didn't
have a vacuum source. A quick trip to the thrift store and for about 2
bucks, I got a home vacuum sealer system. The system was gutted for the
vacuum pump and given a short bit of fish tank air hose and an electrical
foot switch. it been working great for at least 10 years.

bob in phx
ps. if you see any of my mates from the states down there be sure to say
hi!!!
here is their website.
http://sumrrrtime.blogspot.com/

They'll have a great time. We have lots of back-packer / working holiday
guys visit down here.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I paid $300 for my first hard drive, a 20MB Seagate.

If you find another one, let me know. I want to get the old PC-XT
running for ****s and giggles, and the *replacement* 42 MB MFM drive
died - still have the original 20MB that they said we'd never fill...

Any way to backwards-interface an IDE to look like a MFM?

-- Bruce --

Ive probably got a bunch of MFM and RRL(?) drives kicking around the
house....still have some carcass XTs.

Ill be getting to that particular storage area in a week or two. You
are welcome to any or all of it

Mine are all behind the "stuff" I had to move to get the new beer
fridge in and the old one out, then the water heater started to drip!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Den" wrote in
:

I want to try putting together a quick vacuum generator that runs off
compressed air (run of an 8 gallon tank up to 130 PSI.

I'll be using it for desoldering so I think I want a reasonably strong
vacuum, but the volume is not all that high. It will probably be used
in "burst mode" - with a burst of vacuum for a few seconds being
needed intermittently.

Heaps of googling and patent searching has turned up lots of
commercial products and on or two water powered vacuum generators but
not much in the way of pneumatic ones.

I'm hoping for a real quick & simple design - any build one or point
me to some plans?

thanks
D.

All you need is a quick coupling for your air hose, a 4" piece of 1/4"
copper tube, 1/4" fitting to go from the coupling to the copper tube, 1-
Tee, (a Y would be better, but hard to find) a check valve and a vacuum
storage vessel.

Cut 1" off of the copper tube, sweat it to the stick leg of the T. Cut
the rest of the tube in half, insert T and sweat together. Sweat on
fitting and attach coupling. Check valve goes on the stick leg of the T.
Connect check valve to vessel, connect air hose. vacuum being generated
for cheap parts cost.

I made and used one in another life to suck the air out of dump truck
tire inner tubes. It'll suck a complete vacuum in one of these huge inner
tubes in about a minute or less.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

Other advancements were also being made to improve the durability ofthe wristwatch. The faces were replace with ones made of synthetic plastic.This made them much more durable and resistant to breaking and cracking.Another advancement was in the dial wholesale2 Electronics Repair 0 April 19th 08 08:16 PM
venturi vacuum Joe Woodworking 11 August 22nd 07 04:48 PM
venturi vacuum generator plans Tom Metalworking 16 December 8th 05 02:48 AM
very small home made generator, need help Waynemak Metalworking 16 December 1st 04 11:39 PM
Almost done with my home-made vacuum press. Anyone else done one? Joe Emenaker Woodworking 15 August 8th 04 12:23 AM