Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Anthony Anthony is offline

Default Vacuum generator venturi - any made one?

"Den" wrote in
:

I want to try putting together a quick vacuum generator that runs off
compressed air (run of an 8 gallon tank up to 130 PSI.

I'll be using it for desoldering so I think I want a reasonably strong
vacuum, but the volume is not all that high. It will probably be used
in "burst mode" - with a burst of vacuum for a few seconds being
needed intermittently.

Heaps of googling and patent searching has turned up lots of
commercial products and on or two water powered vacuum generators but
not much in the way of pneumatic ones.

I'm hoping for a real quick & simple design - any build one or point
me to some plans?

thanks
D.

All you need is a quick coupling for your air hose, a 4" piece of 1/4"
copper tube, 1/4" fitting to go from the coupling to the copper tube, 1-
Tee, (a Y would be better, but hard to find) a check valve and a vacuum
storage vessel.

Cut 1" off of the copper tube, sweat it to the stick leg of the T. Cut
the rest of the tube in half, insert T and sweat together. Sweat on
fitting and attach coupling. Check valve goes on the stick leg of the T.
Connect check valve to vessel, connect air hose. vacuum being generated
for cheap parts cost.

I made and used one in another life to suck the air out of dump truck
tire inner tubes. It'll suck a complete vacuum in one of these huge inner
tubes in about a minute or less.

--
Anthony

better idiots.