Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Vacuum generator venturi - any made one?

Bob in Phx wrote:
years ago, I was given a self powered pace desoldering handset. I didn't
have a vacuum source. A quick trip to the thrift store and for about 2
bucks, I got a home vacuum sealer system. The system was gutted for the
vacuum pump and given a short bit of fish tank air hose and an electrical
foot switch. it been working great for at least 10 years.

bob in phx
ps. if you see any of my mates from the states down there be sure to say
hi!!!
here is their website.
http://sumrrrtime.blogspot.com/

Bob you just reminded me a good source might be a local breaker yard and
a VW with central looking. I have had 2 Passats and they use a small air
pump to operate the central locking. IIRC they suck to lock and blow to
unlock.

"Den" wrote in message

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 20:52:12 +0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Den" quickly quoth:

I want to try putting together a quick vacuum generator that runs off
compressed air (run of an 8 gallon tank up to 130 PSI.

I'll be using it for desoldering so I think I want a reasonably strong
vacuum, but the volume is not all that high. It will probably be used in
"burst mode" - with a burst of vacuum for a few seconds being needed
intermittently.

Heaps of googling and patent searching has turned up lots of commercial
products and on or two water powered vacuum generators but not much in
the
way of pneumatic ones.

I'm hoping for a real quick & simple design - any build one or point me
some plans?

They're noisy, wasteful, and don't suck as well as they should.

But don't reinvent the wheel when models are available:
(I'll believe 28.3" of mercury when I see it.)

Better yet, go carbon:

http://tinyurl.com/5susk7 or http://tinyurl.com/6crtmm

--
Challenges are gifts that force us to search for a new center of gravity.
Don't fight them. Just find a different way to stand.

Unfortunately I'm downunder - surplus stuff is hard to come by & we don't
have a harbour freight!
You guys in the states (well some of you at least) seem pretty lucky
having access to surplus gear & stores like harbour freight.