Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Den[_3_] Den[_3_] is offline

Default Vacuum generator venturi - any made one?

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 20:52:12 +0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Den" quickly quoth:

I want to try putting together a quick vacuum generator that runs off
compressed air (run of an 8 gallon tank up to 130 PSI.

I'll be using it for desoldering so I think I want a reasonably strong
vacuum, but the volume is not all that high. It will probably be used in
"burst mode" - with a burst of vacuum for a few seconds being needed
intermittently.

Heaps of googling and patent searching has turned up lots of commercial
products and on or two water powered vacuum generators but not much in the
way of pneumatic ones.

I'm hoping for a real quick & simple design - any build one or point me to
some plans?

They're noisy, wasteful, and don't suck as well as they should.

But don't reinvent the wheel when models are available:
(I'll believe 28.3" of mercury when I see it.)

Better yet, go carbon:

http://tinyurl.com/5susk7 or http://tinyurl.com/6crtmm

--
Challenges are gifts that force us to search for a new center of gravity.
Don't fight them. Just find a different way to stand.

Unfortunately I'm downunder - surplus stuff is hard to come by & we don't
have a harbour freight!
You guys in the states (well some of you at least) seem pretty lucky having
access to surplus gear & stores like harbour freight.