Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I want to buy a solid piece of pure tungsten, 3 to 15 lbs.

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 20:33:14 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

GE really does a remarkable job of salvage operations on returned parts
and so on.

I have a friend who used to work on CAT scanners, now he is in
the MRI division at GE medical.

I probably know him - can you email me his name? I've spent most of the
last 18 years at GE Medical.

But, dental X ray machines are essentially just furniture to a
dentist. I doubt much of that gear is ever repaired, they just
aren't very expensive. I'm sure the hospital-grade xray suites
and certainly CAT scanner hardware is handled in an entirely
different manner.

Yup. My dentist has an ANCIENT GE xray machine in the exam room, for
doing bite wings and that sort of thing. Has that 1950's green paint on
it, and a red GE meatball. But, it has a current calibration sticker on
it (yeah, I notice these things) so, fair enough.

Most or all current MRI, CT, Pet, Nuc, etc scanners out there probably
have a service contract. GE is happy to sell support for brands that
they didn't make, so some of the parts they get back to salvage are
broken stuff from other brands entirely. Interesting how similar and
yet how different the brands are.

Anyway, enough ramble...the real question is - what does that guy want
the W for in the first place, and, how is he going to machine the stuff?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

et...

Think of the conventional ingot of gold----400 troy ounces. About the
size of a modular masonry brick----and weighs a whopping 27.4285 pounds
avoirdupois.

I have two 50-pound bricks of pure lead, which I inherited from my uncle,
who used them to cast lead sinkers and bullets. It's always entertaining
to ask one of my friends if he'd pick one up for me. d8-)

Early in my refining career, I encountered a ******* sized silver ingot.
Slightly greater than 1,100 ounces. I think I understand your point! :-)

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Trevor Jones wrote:

The Yard Aircraft Tools, sells a tungsten bucking bar. Not cheap, but
smaller and denser than any steel bucking bar.

Dunno if the block size would work for you, but you might look there.

http://www.yardstore.com/index.cfm?a...ls&ItemID=1738

PN: 74102
Tungsten Bucking Bar

* 2.87 lbs.

Try one of our "Vibration-Free" Tungsten Bucking Bars!

According to a recent University study, bucking bars made with tungsten
are
much safer for the operator by reducing vibration. The density of tungsten
is the future of bucking bars available at The Yard today!

At The Yard all of our Tungsten Bucking Bars are made from 90+% tungsten.
All edges are deburred and working surfaces are polished for trouble-free
use. Your hands will thank you.

Wes

I'm sure the difference is as profound as a solid carbide boring bar as
opposed to a steel one. Great stuff, tungsten.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 16:07:44 -0500, "Adam Corolla"
wrote:

Well... I didn't mean to cast aspersions on Ned's honor--it's just that
I'm
new here and don't know anyone yet. Thanks for the vouch, though.

And no offense taken. I've had just one bad experience with the folks
here - I think it's coming up on 8 years that one of the regulars here
has owed me a crummy $65.

I'll be at my customers plant on Monday
http://www.elmettechnologies.com/products/Tungsten/
and will try to get some answers about the value and availability of
scrap. Do you have any preference or requirements for the shape of the
lump?

--
Ned Simmons

Cool, sounds great!!

Size or shape... Well, I'd love to get my hands on a piece that would fit
perfectly inside a soda can... But realistically, any shape that's fairly
uniform and not too sharp is fine. I believe what's been said here, and
I'll be happy to pay in advance once it comes to that point.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
So what are Tig pure tungsten sticks do for you ?
That might be a source.

Martin

Uh, huh? I don't know what tungsten is, but I don't know what Tig pure
sticks are.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

[...]

Good question!

I want it as a paperweight/conversation piece. Maybe to help some kids get
more interested in metallurgy and/or chemistry as well. I have a bag of
small tungsten disks that awes some people when they pick it up being that
it's about the size of a box of cigarettes and weighs three pounds--but the
effect of a solid piece would be even greater. So I won't need to machine
it. And that's why I want pure tungsten rather than the less-dense carbide.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
Adam Corolla wrote:
Anyone have a solid piece of pure tungsten (98% pure or better) they
might
want to sell? I'd like a piece weighing three to five pounds, but up to
fifteen pounds is OK if the price is good enough.

x-ray tubes use tungsten for the electrode/target. Nearly always round,
as the modern ones spin. I know that GE Medical Systems scraps out the
field returns, because a friend of mine runs the operation.
members.chello.nl/~h.dijkstra19/image/nago2.jpg
from this page:
http://members.chello.nl/~h.dijkstra19/page5.html

If the anode looks like something you'd be able to work with let me
know, I can see if they can sell the parts to individuals rather than
for scrap.

That would be great. I'd be willing to sign a waiver if they need (many
companies are scared because everyone's so sue-crazy these days.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Todd Rich" wrote in message
Adam Corolla wrote:

"Todd Rich" wrote in message

(snip)
If it wasn't my only one, I've got a sintered 5# block from work. An
unneeded engineering sample. I'll ask and see if they have any others,
but I don't think they'll have one for a couple of weeks/months. It is
weird how dense it is.

P.S., I can wait weeks or months no problem. We can discuss the price
when
it's available, but of course I can't commit to buy until we do agree on
price.

No guarantee I can get you one, but I'll try. Is it ok if it is several
smaller pieces, or machined somewhat? I'll have better luck getting scrap
or a part failed by inspection.

If they're smaller, then if they're uniform enough that I could epoxy them
together, then maybe. It's fine if they're machined.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I had the pleasure to walk into the rare metals company in Dallas
many years ago. This was with two artist friends who were buying
some gold and other fancy silver stuff Pt.

They, in the store, had a counter that was like a tank and not further
behind them was a bank vault for their wares.

On that counter was a 'brick' of silver. I think it was about 8x8x16.
It was sitting on some receipts. It was their paper weight. Used once.
The papers were there from the first year of business. The brick
was to heavy for anyone to pick up much less turn and get out the
door.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Ed Huntress wrote:
et...
Think of the conventional ingot of gold----400 troy ounces. About the
size of a modular masonry brick----and weighs a whopping 27.4285 pounds
avoirdupois.

I have two 50-pound bricks of pure lead, which I inherited from my uncle,
who used them to cast lead sinkers and bullets. It's always entertaining to
ask one of my friends if he'd pick one up for me. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. net...

"Todd Rich" wrote in message
Adam Corolla wrote:

snip-----

If it wasn't my only one, I've got a sintered 5# block from work. An
unneeded engineering sample. I'll ask and see if they have any others,
but I don't think they'll have one for a couple of weeks/months. It is
weird how dense it is.

If you think tungsten's weird to handle, try gold, or even platinum.
Both are heavier, platinum by a considerable amount. It's about 10%
heavier than gold, which is about 12% heavier than tungsten. Both are
very strange to hold, and easily slip from your grip.

Harold

Gold is almost the same density as tungsten. Maybe you are thinking of
tungsten carbide? You're right about Platinum being about 10% heaviet than
gold, though.

Tungsten Density (near r.t.) 19.25 g/cc

Gold Density (near r.t.) 19.3 g/cc

Platinum Density (near r.t.) 21.45 g/cc

What I'd really like is a ten-pound chunk of iridium:

22.42 g/cc

But that stuff goes for around 25 bucks a GRAM, even if it was $25 a POUND
I'd have trouble justifyinggetting ten pounds of it, so there's no way
unless I win the lottery, LOL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. net...

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 00:33:17 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

Slight variations in density are
likely due to the degree of fusion. Dunno! :-)

That's more or less the situtation with the density. Fine tungsten
powder is pressed into bars. The bars are resistance heated (imagine a
rod the size of your thumb glowing at 4800F!) to sinter the powder.
The bars shrink and get denser as the tungsten crystallizes. Swaging,
rolling, and drawing increase the density and deform the crystals,
yielding the typical fibrous structure.

Lamp filaments run hot enough that the tungsten recrystallizes, which
is why a filament is more fragile once it's burned for a while.

--
Ned Simmons

Thanks, Ned. Sort of confirms my hunch.

Harold

This is a great place to learn about this stuff! Thanks to you both.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

et...

Think of the conventional ingot of gold----400 troy ounces. About the
size of a modular masonry brick----and weighs a whopping 27.4285 pounds
avoirdupois.

I have two 50-pound bricks of pure lead, which I inherited from my uncle,
who used them to cast lead sinkers and bullets. It's always entertaining
to ask one of my friends if he'd pick one up for me. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Then you'd love iridium. An iridium brick would weigh about the same as two
lead bricks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DT" wrote in message
news:SOKdnYgUFZQy74TanZ2dnUVZ_vXinZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
Are you the same Adam Corolla that had the TV show about remodeling your
dad's
old house?

--
Dennis

No, I believe you're thinking about Adam Carolla (Two a's, one o.) I'm the
one with the Toyota-model for a last name: Corolla (two o's, one a.) :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Trevor Jones" wrote in message
Adam Corolla wrote:
Anyone have a solid piece of pure tungsten (98% pure or better) they
might want to sell? I'd like a piece weighing three to five pounds, but
up to fifteen pounds is OK if the price is good enough.

Notes: I don't want tungsten carbide or other alloy--pure tungsten only.
I don't want any porous pieces, they should be solid.

If you're interested, we can arrange a private auction through eBay, I
will pay your listing fees.

The Yard Aircraft Tools, sells a tungsten bucking bar. Not cheap, but
smaller and denser than any steel bucking bar.

Dunno if the block size would work for you, but you might look there.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Trevor Jones wrote:

The Yard Aircraft Tools, sells a tungsten bucking bar. Not cheap, but
smaller and denser than any steel bucking bar.

Dunno if the block size would work for you, but you might look there.

http://www.yardstore.com/index.cfm?a...ls&ItemID=1738

PN: 74102
Tungsten Bucking Bar

* 2.87 lbs.

Try one of our "Vibration-Free" Tungsten Bucking Bars!

According to a recent University study, bucking bars made with tungsten
are
much safer for the operator by reducing vibration. The density of tungsten
is the future of bucking bars available at The Yard today!

At The Yard all of our Tungsten Bucking Bars are made from 90+% tungsten.
All edges are deburred and working surfaces are polished for trouble-free
use. Your hands will thank you.

Wes

The size and shape are good, but the price is a little high and the purity
is low (they don't really state the purity, only that it's greater than 90%
and I'm looking for 98% or better.)
Thanks, though, I'll keep this in mind for the future, in case I can't get
any scrap.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Adam Corolla" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

et...

Think of the conventional ingot of gold----400 troy ounces. About the
size of a modular masonry brick----and weighs a whopping 27.4285 pounds
avoirdupois.

I have two 50-pound bricks of pure lead, which I inherited from my uncle,
who used them to cast lead sinkers and bullets. It's always entertaining
to ask one of my friends if he'd pick one up for me. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Then you'd love iridium. An iridium brick would weigh about the same as
two lead bricks.

Hey, it's entertainment. I like the shocked look on their faces. I don't
want to send them to the chiropractor. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Adam Corolla" wrote in message

snip----

Gold is almost the same density as tungsten. Maybe you are thinking of
tungsten carbide?

I wonder if that may be the case. It would make sense------

If only I had a clue about how I formed my conclusion. I fear I don't.
Shocking to find I was wrong, though. :-)

Harold

Tungsten Density (near r.t.) 19.25 g/cc

Gold Density (near r.t.) 19.3 g/cc

Platinum Density (near r.t.) 21.45 g/cc

What I'd really like is a ten-pound chunk of iridium:

22.42 g/cc

But that stuff goes for around 25 bucks a GRAM, even if it was $25 a POUND
I'd have trouble justifyinggetting ten pounds of it, so there's no way
unless I win the lottery, LOL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Adam Corolla wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message

Trevor Jones wrote:

[...]

What is it's intended use?

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Adam Corolla" wrote in message

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
So what are Tig pure tungsten sticks do for you ?
That might be a source.

Martin

Uh, huh? I don't know what tungsten is, but I don't know what Tig pure
sticks are.

Oh, I think I found out--welding rods, right?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

LOL yeah... I want to get a soda can made from solid iridium when I win the
lottery. IRCC I think I calc'd that it would weigh about 17 to 19 lbs...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. net...

"Adam Corolla" wrote in message

snip----

Gold is almost the same density as tungsten. Maybe you are thinking of
tungsten carbide?

I wonder if that may be the case. It would make sense------

If only I had a clue about how I formed my conclusion. I fear I don't.
Shocking to find I was wrong, though. :-)

Harold

Well, not to worry. Even the greatest minds are wrong a lot (or so I
hear...)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Adam Corolla wrote:

"Adam Corolla" wrote in message

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
So what are Tig pure tungsten sticks do for you ?
That might be a source.

Martin

Uh, huh? I don't know what tungsten is, but I don't know what Tig pure
sticks are.

Oh, I think I found out--welding rods, right?

Not exactly. They are electrodes used in TIG welding, but they aren't
used like normal welding rods where the rod is melted and makes up part of
the weld. They eventually wear out, but they are meant to conduct the
electricity with as little erosion of the electrode as possible. Some of
them have other elements added in, like thorium, but they are usually
mostly tungsten. Here is a typical range of electrodes:
http://www.usaweld.com/products/tung...odes/index.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Adam Corolla wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message

Trevor Jones wrote:

[...]

As a paperweight/conversation piece/element sample.

I'll probably keep it for a while, maybe show it around, then either try to
sell it or (more likely) just donate it to a high school science teacher.
Most people are amazed when they encounter pure, solid tungsten, and it was
similar experiences which got me interested in the periodic table to begin
with.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The Yard Aircraft Tools, sells a tungsten bucking bar. Not cheap, but
smaller and denser than any steel bucking bar.

Dunno if the block size would work for you, but you might look there.

http://www.yardstore.com/index.cfm?a...ls&ItemID=1738

PN: 74102
Tungsten Bucking Bar

* 2.87 lbs.

Try one of our "Vibration-Free" Tungsten Bucking Bars!

According to a recent University study, bucking bars made with tungsten
are
much safer for the operator by reducing vibration. The density of tungsten
is the future of bucking bars available at The Yard today!

At The Yard all of our Tungsten Bucking Bars are made from 90+% tungsten.
All edges are deburred and working surfaces are polished for trouble-free
use. Your hands will thank you.

Wes

OK...so I'm a little slow, but what in the hell is a bucking bar???

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 22, 6:12 pm, "The Davenport's" wrote:
[...]

I had to find out, found-

http://www.vansairforce.net/articles...OnRiveting.htm

Its used to form/install solid rivets, on the end opposite the rivet
gun. Apparently these rivets have no head until formed by the gun/
bucking bar?

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

That pretty well 'splains it...thanks

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tungsten is Metal. Fibrous metal. Used in Light bulbs (not the flicker type)
and places where high pressure temperature is used.

TIG is Tungsten Inert Gas. A welding term where one supplies a very hot point
with aid of a Tungsten rod and it melts the base metal while flooding with
an Inert gas as you add the filler metal. Most metals can be TIG'd. Not all
since some explode on exposure to air.

Adam Corolla wrote:
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
So what are Tig pure tungsten sticks do for you ?
That might be a source.

Martin

Uh, huh? I don't know what tungsten is, but I don't know what Tig pure
sticks are.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A welding rod by common usage is a supply metal that melts and combines
with the base metal. As in a stick welder.

The Tungsten is really a semi-inert rod that supplies current to melt
a spot of metal. The filler rod supplies the extra metal for the fix.

In a loose way it is a welding rod - used in welding and is a physical rod.

Adam Corolla wrote:
"Adam Corolla" wrote in message
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
So what are Tig pure tungsten sticks do for you ?
That might be a source.

Martin

Uh, huh? I don't know what tungsten is, but I don't know what Tig pure
sticks are.

Oh, I think I found out--welding rods, right?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The Davenport's wrote:
[...]

Solid back-up for setting aircraft rivets or other solid rivets.

A fitted snap is placed in an air hammer, to drive the rivet from the
head end, and a bucking bar is placed against the opposite end while the
rivet gun or air hammer is activated.

Tungsten is a good pick, as it is very heavy, and the mass allows a
heavier bar in a limited acces space.

That about cover it?

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Try Google. Betcha it comes up with a more detailed answer!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 20:39:41 -0500, "Adam Corolla"
wrote:

Size or shape... Well, I'd love to get my hands on a piece that would fit
perfectly inside a soda can... But realistically, any shape that's fairly
uniform and not too sharp is fine.

The only thing I'd potentially have access to is slender bars, around
1/2" square by 2 feet long - stock that's destined to be rolled and
drawn into wire.

I believe what's been said here, and
I'll be happy to pay in advance once it comes to that point.

I did ask about prices and learned that the current price for ingots
is around $60 to $70 per kilo. I didn't get to the guy who sells the
scrap, but I'd guess it goes for around half that, which would make it
about 1-1/2 times the price of carbide scrap.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Size or shape... Well, I'd love to get my hands on a piece that would fit
perfectly inside a soda can... But realistically, any shape that's fairly
uniform and not too sharp is fine.

The only thing I'd potentially have access to is slender bars, around
1/2" square by 2 feet long - stock that's destined to be rolled and
drawn into wire.

I believe what's been said here, and
I'll be happy to pay in advance once it comes to that point.

I did ask about prices and learned that the current price for ingots
is around $60 to $70 per kilo. I didn't get to the guy who sells the
scrap, but I'd guess it goes for around half that, which would make it
about 1-1/2 times the price of carbide scrap.

--
Ned Simmons

Sounds great! 1/2" square by 2' long would be fine. I am guessing they
would weigh almost 1.9 kilo or a little under 4.2 pounds each? Unless my
math is rusty...? One of those would be perfect! So, I'm guessing it would
cost around $65-70 before shipping? Very reasonable.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cool, thanks for the info!

Adam Corolla wrote:
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
So what are Tig pure tungsten sticks do for you ?
That might be a source.

Martin

Uh, huh? I don't know what tungsten is, but I don't know what Tig pure
sticks are.

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Todd Rich" wrote in message
Adam Corolla wrote:

"Adam Corolla" wrote in message

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
So what are Tig pure tungsten sticks do for you ?
That might be a source.

Martin

Uh, huh? I don't know what tungsten is, but I don't know what Tig pure
sticks are.

Oh, I think I found out--welding rods, right?

Not exactly. They are electrodes used in TIG welding, but they aren't
used like normal welding rods where the rod is melted and makes up part of
the weld. They eventually wear out, but they are meant to conduct the
electricity with as little erosion of the electrode as possible. Some of
them have other elements added in, like thorium, but they are usually
mostly tungsten. Here is a typical range of electrodes:
http://www.usaweld.com/products/tung...odes/index.htm

Thanks for the info! This is a terrific group!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
A welding rod by common usage is a supply metal that melts and combines
with the base metal. As in a stick welder.

The Tungsten is really a semi-inert rod that supplies current to melt
a spot of metal. The filler rod supplies the extra metal for the fix.

In a loose way it is a welding rod - used in welding and is a physical
rod.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Thank you very much!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 19:07:48 -0500, "Adam Corolla"
wrote:

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
.. .

I did ask about prices and learned that the current price for ingots
is around $60 to $70 per kilo. I didn't get to the guy who sells the
scrap, but I'd guess it goes for around half that, which would make it
about 1-1/2 times the price of carbide scrap.

--
Ned Simmons

Sounds great! 1/2" square by 2' long would be fine. I am guessing they
would weigh almost 1.9 kilo or a little under 4.2 pounds each? Unless my
math is rusty...? One of those would be perfect! So, I'm guessing it would
cost around $65-70 before shipping? Very reasonable.

Let me see if I can pin down the price. It may be a couple weeks
before I'm up there again.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
. ..

I did ask about prices and learned that the current price for ingots
is around $60 to $70 per kilo. I didn't get to the guy who sells the
scrap, but I'd guess it goes for around half that, which would make it
about 1-1/2 times the price of carbide scrap.

--
Ned Simmons

Sounds great! 1/2" square by 2' long would be fine. I am guessing they
would weigh almost 1.9 kilo or a little under 4.2 pounds each? Unless my
math is rusty...? One of those would be perfect! So, I'm guessing it
would
cost around $65-70 before shipping? Very reasonable.

Let me see if I can pin down the price. It may be a couple weeks
before I'm up there again.

--
Ned Simmons

Ok, thanks! Also, if you like, you can email me by using the name
'webgrunt' followed by the at symbol and then gmail dot com.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 19, 11:53 pm, "Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:
"Todd Rich" wrote in message

Adam Corolla wrote:

snip-----

If it wasn't my only one, I've got a sintered 5# block from work. An
unneeded engineering sample. I'll ask and see if they have any others,
but I don't think they'll have one for a couple of weeks/months. It is
weird how dense it is.

If you thinktungsten'sweird to handle, try gold, or even platinum. Both
are heavier, platinum by a considerable amount. It's about 10% heavier than
gold, which is about 12% heavier thantungsten. Both are very strange to
hold, and easily slip from your grip.

Harold

Harold,

If I'm not mistaken, gold has a density of 19.32 grams/cc and tungsten
has a density of 19.3, making them almost identical. You are correct
about the platinum, though, as it has a density of 21.45.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You can also try contacting these guys:

http://members.aol.com/blkholela/home/

I bought some tungsten rod from them a number of years ago. If you talk
to Ed (the owner), tell him I sent you. I grew up in Los Alamos & he and
I go WAY back.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ps.com...
"Todd Rich" wrote in message

Adam Corolla wrote:

snip-----

If it wasn't my only one, I've got a sintered 5# block from work. An
unneeded engineering sample. I'll ask and see if they have any others,
but I don't think they'll have one for a couple of weeks/months. It is
weird how dense it is.

If you thinktungsten'sweird to handle, try gold, or even platinum. Both
are heavier, platinum by a considerable amount. It's about 10% heavier
than
gold, which is about 12% heavier thantungsten. Both are very strange to
hold, and easily slip from your grip.

Harold

Harold,

If I'm not mistaken, gold has a density of 19.32 grams/cc and tungsten
has a density of 19.3, making them almost identical. You are correct
about the platinum, though, as it has a density of 21.45.

Thanks. Earlier, someone pointed out that I was mistaken, that tungsten
and gold are almost identical in specific gravity. I quickly verified
that they were correct, although there's considerable debate on the true
specific gravity of tungsten. There seems to be a consensus on the
reason. Tungsten is not melted when processed, but is worked via powder
metallurgical procedures. It, apparently, doesn't always end up at the
same level of density, or concentration. Can you add anything to that
concept?

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ps.com...

"Todd Rich" wrote in message

Adam Corolla wrote:
[...]

Harold- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I can elaborate a bit. Tungsten has the highest melting point of
any metal, making it difficult to consolidate by smelting, melting,
and casting. Typically, tungsten is liberated from the ore by
chemical extraction as opposed to smelting. Crushed ore is sent
through a series of chemical reactions until one is left, finally with
tungsten oxide powder. This powder is then roasted in a hydrogen
furnace to yeild water and very pure tungsten powder. This powder
then must be consolidated. In the powder metallurgy process, the
powder is blended with a small amount of binder and pressed under high
pressure to form a fragile bar. This bar is placed in a molybdenum
tray and put into a hydrogen furnace to presinter. The solidifies the
bar a bit and drives out the binder. This bar is then placed in a
"sintering bottle" which is a quartz tube with two spring-loaded,
water-cooled contacts. A large electric current is then passed
through the bar, which heats it to very high temperatures. The bar
then sinters, or consolidates, shrinking as this happens, thus the
need for the spring loaded holders. The sintered bar is not fully
dense. Depending on the particle size and the sintering temperature
it is about 88% to 96% dense. However, this bar is usually densified
further by millwork, typically rolling or drawing, so that the final
product will come quite close to theoretical density. This is by far
the most common way of consolidating tungsten, but there are others
such as arc casting, electron beam melting, and plasma spraying. Some
of these methods will produce a result that is very near or at
theoretical density.

Inkydog

Pure tung oil not drying -- help! [email protected] Woodworking 9 August 20th 06 01:30 PM
OT - New One piece Bearings versus two piece style stone Metalworking 4 March 27th 06 03:56 PM
Pure tung oil Ken Moon Woodturning 7 January 20th 06 11:48 PM
Toilet questions- 1 piece versus 2 piece toilets KOS Home Ownership 1 September 29th 05 03:25 PM
OT-Pure Insanity Cliff Metalworking 3 September 1st 05 05:46 PM