Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

Default Pure tung oil

Recent threads here commented on the difficulty in finding "real" tung oil,
since most concoctions labeled as tung was either partly or mostly solvents.
At Woodcraft today I read some labels and found this was true, with one
exception. Woodcraft has an in-house brand of "Pure Tung Oil" that specifies
having no petroleum distillates. I got a bottle of it to try out and may get
a chance to see how it does over the week end. Will post results when I find
out.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have used this stuff in my "witches brews" of finishing. Seems to
work well as I use it on light colored woods so I don't get the amber
tint that BLO gives a piece.

I have never used it alone though, so I don't know how long the cure
time is with no dryers.

When it is on sale at WC, it is the cheapest price anywhere I have ever
found it.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

"Ken Moon" wrote:

Recent threads here commented on the difficulty in finding "real" tung
oil, since most concoctions labeled as tung was either partly or
mostly solvents. At Woodcraft today I read some labels and found this
was true, with one exception. Woodcraft has an in-house brand of "Pure
Tung Oil" that specifies having no petroleum distillates. I got a
bottle of it to try out and may get a chance to see how it does over
the week end. Will post results when I find out.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

I've used it on Flatland projects. A very nice finish, but took an eternity
to dry. 'Course the drying are is in the shop which is pretty much
unheated. YMMV. Oh, and the finsh seems to hold up well.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

In article ,
"Ken Moon" wrote:

Recent threads here commented on the difficulty in finding "real" tung oil,
since most concoctions labeled as tung was either partly or mostly solvents.
At Woodcraft today I read some labels and found this was true, with one
exception. Woodcraft has an in-house brand of "Pure Tung Oil" that specifies
having no petroleum distillates. I got a bottle of it to try out and may get
a chance to see how it does over the week end. Will post results when I find
out.

Hi Ken, forgive me, but were you around here when Lyn Mangiameli was
here? He highly recommended Lee Valley's Polymerized Tung Oil. I believe
it's 100% pure but has been partially cured to speed up the hardening
time after application...

Just read a couple archived newsgroup threads and apparently the Lee
Valley and Garrett Wade tung oils are relabeled Sutherland Welles
products http://www.sutherlandwelles.com/homepage.html:

Mary Goderwis
Oct 18 2001, 5:09*pm
"Have read with interest comments on Tung Oil. I supply high quality
Polymerized Tung Oil - I formulate both pure Polymerized Tung Oil and
Tung Oil/Resin combination coatings. I am the supplier for Garrett
Wade Co. and Lee Valley Tools's private label polymerized Tung Oil. I
am happy to answer any and all questions regarding tung oil in general
and the use of my products. I can be reached via email or at
800/322-1245 or visit our website at www.sutherlandwelles.com. High
quality Polymerized Tung Oil products with outstanding customer
service is our on-going dedicated effort to supply woodfinishers with
the best finish on earth - love to hear from you... "

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Derek Andrews

Owen Lowe wrote:

[...]

Quote from their website:

"Polymerized Tung Oil is thick like molasses, with a slow drying and
curing time. After polymerization, the oil is combined with solvents to
allow the oil to penetrate the wood and improve its workability. The
addition of chemical driers shortens the drying and curing time which
completes the process of making Polymerized Tung Oil a wood finishing
product. Sutherland Welles Ltd.® formulates the entire line with the
"cleanest" solvents and the lowest toxic driers available."

From what I can figure from their wordy website, their loose definition
of 'pure' tung oil is something that contains no other oils (like
linseed) or resins.

FWIW, I have a can of Lee Valley's Polymerized Tung Oil (High Luster)
and it has this warning on the can:
"Contains Petroleum Distillate"
and the catalogue says it contains 50% mineral spirits.

If you want pure Tung Oil, you need Lee Valley '100% pure tung oil'
which 'contains no thinners or driers' (or something similar). I am not
saying that is the best choice of finish or dissing Lyn's
recommendation. I just want to set the record straight.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com - a blog for my customers
http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com/TheToolrest/ - a blog for woodturners

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Derek Hartzell

Personally I don't like pure tung oil due to its satin finish, slow build
and slow drying time. Behlen's does have a pure tung oil.

Derek

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

In article ,
Derek Andrews wrote:

From what I can figure from their wordy website, their loose definition
of 'pure' tung oil is something that contains no other oils (like
linseed) or resins.

FWIW, I have a can of Lee Valley's Polymerized Tung Oil (High Luster)
and it has this warning on the can:
"Contains Petroleum Distillate"
and the catalogue says it contains 50% mineral spirits.

If you want pure Tung Oil, you need Lee Valley '100% pure tung oil'
which 'contains no thinners or driers' (or something similar). I am not
saying that is the best choice of finish or dissing Lyn's
recommendation. I just want to set the record straight.

Thanks, I hadn't read through the site very much.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
DAVID PAAR

I have some experience with pure tung oil. I live near a company that
produces both pure tung and a dark version. The finish is great and
doesn't require alot of dry time. Here is the link of the site
(http://www.realmilkpaint.com/oil.html) .

hope this info helps.

Dave

.net...