C Carruth

Default tung oil vs tung oil finish

Both HD and Lowe's only carry tung oil finish. I want to make a 50/50 mix of
tung oil/poly as a wiping varnish - is tung oil finish the same thing?

If not, where can I get plain tung oil? The nearest woodworking stores are a
LONG drive from my house.

Thanks..

Charles

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 04:43:46 GMT, "C Carruth"
wrote:

Both HD and Lowe's only carry tung oil finish. I want to make a 50/50 mix of
tung oil/poly as a wiping varnish - is tung oil finish the same thing?

If not, where can I get plain tung oil? The nearest woodworking stores are a
LONG drive from my house.

Thanks..

Mail order from Woodcraft would be one way to get some.
--

- Charles
-
Mike in Mystic

Get Bob Flexner's book "Understanding Wood Finishing" and all will become
clear.

"WD" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 04:52:42 GMT, Charles
wrote:

Yeah, Woodcraft store sell them. They are damn expensive. I was there
on the weekend, wondering whether to buy and try one my project. But
there are many kinds/mixture of Tung oil. Can you explain how to use
them? I believe David Mark use Tung oil on most of his woodworking
shows.

wrote:

Both HD and Lowe's only carry tung oil finish. I want to make a 50/50

mix of
tung oil/poly as a wiping varnish - is tung oil finish the same thing?

If not, where can I get plain tung oil? The nearest woodworking stores

are a
LONG drive from my house.

Thanks..

Mail order from Woodcraft would be one way to get some.

Mike G

I believe ace hardware stores carry tung oil. If a wiping varnish is your
aim adding oil to varnish isn't the way to go about it. All you need to do
is thin it down fifteen or twenty percent. Mixing one part oil, one part
thinner, and one part varnish would give you a Danish oil whose attributes
can be changed by varying the ratios a bit.

--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods
"C Carruth" wrote in message
. ..
Both HD and Lowe's only carry tung oil finish. I want to make a 50/50 mix

of
tung oil/poly as a wiping varnish - is tung oil finish the same thing?

If not, where can I get plain tung oil? The nearest woodworking stores are

LONG drive from my house.

Thanks..

js

"C Carruth" wrote in message
. ..

Both HD and Lowe's only carry tung oil finish. I want to make a 50/50 mix

of
tung oil/poly as a wiping varnish - is tung oil finish the same thing?

Not usually. At least Formbys, Minwax and "Ace Hardware" brand Tung Oil
Finishes are a blend of goodies.

Joe Zeh

I have read Bob's book, especially on Tung Oil. If I follow his advice I
shouldn't use Tung Oil as a finish. Yet I have seen many woodworkers finish
their most prized work in Tung Oil e.g. David Mark. Is Bob too biased?

Joe....

om...