Neil Jowsey

Default Textured finish for sub-bass cabinet

I'm just finishing the cabient for a sub-bass speaker for use in a home
cinema setup. It's MDF and about 450 * 300 * 300. I'm looking for a
textured satin black/charcoal finish but haven't found anything suitable.
I'm assuming aerosol will give me the best finish but I've only found the
'plasticote' range and they don't do a textured finish in a dark enough
colour.

As an alternative the piano black gloss finish is nice but satin would be
better as gloss shows *every* tiny imperfection in the finish!

Does anyone know any products that might fit the bill?

Cheers

Neil
Owain

"Neil Jowsey" wrote
| I'm just finishing the cabient for a sub-bass speaker for use in
| a home cinema setup. It's MDF and about 450 * 300 * 300. I'm
| looking for a textured satin black/charcoal finish but haven't
| found anything suitable.
| As an alternative the piano black gloss finish is nice but satin
| would be better as gloss shows *every* tiny imperfection in the
| finish!
| Does anyone know any products that might fit the bill?

Non-slip floor paint that you apply with a textured roller? Sort of like a
civilised version of artex. Not sure if you can get 'charcoal', you might
have to make do with 'wet elephant'.

Owain

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Neil Jowsey wrote:
I'm just finishing the cabient for a sub-bass speaker for use in a home
cinema setup. It's MDF and about 450 * 300 * 300. I'm looking for a
textured satin black/charcoal finish but haven't found anything
suitable. I'm assuming aerosol will give me the best finish but I've
only found the 'plasticote' range and they don't do a textured finish
in a dark enough colour.

As an alternative the piano black gloss finish is nice but satin would
be better as gloss shows *every* tiny imperfection in the finish!

Does anyone know any products that might fit the bill?

Upholster it in black vinyl? Thin foam underneath. Might help with
resonances too.

--
*Stable Relationships Are For Horses. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Bob Minchin

Neil Jowsey wrote in message ...
I'm just finishing the cabient for a sub-bass speaker for use in a home
cinema setup. It's MDF and about 450 * 300 * 300. I'm looking for a
textured satin black/charcoal finish but haven't found anything suitable.
I'm assuming aerosol will give me the best finish but I've only found the
'plasticote' range and they don't do a textured finish in a dark enough
colour.

As an alternative the piano black gloss finish is nice but satin would be
better as gloss shows *every* tiny imperfection in the finish!

Does anyone know any products that might fit the bill?

Cheers

Neil

How about stage speaker covering fabric?
CPC have a small range. Stick it on with non solvent spray adhesive.
Servisol brand is OK. Ordinary Evostick attackes the fabic and makes it go
saggy.

Bob

John Rumm

Neil Jowsey wrote:

Does anyone know any products that might fit the bill?

These should do to start with:-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/mod...moduleno=17721
http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/mod...&moduleno=3398
http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/produ...%5 Fid=260615
http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/produ...%5 Fid=260614
http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/produ...%5 Fid=260612
http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/produ...%5 Fid=260616
http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/produ...%5 Fid=311081

--
Cheers,

John.

Richard Savage

Frost Auto (or Automotive) Restoration sell 'authentic' crackle finish
paint for vehicle dashboards.

HTH

Richard