Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Newbie questions about tung oil, wood dye, etc.

I've got a solid mahogany study that is ruined (IMO) by a dark stain.
I would like to sand off the finish (a lacquer, I was told) and the
underlying stain or dye to get to bare wood and then apply a pure tung
oil finish. Why tung oil? Well, someone told me it looked great and
could be renewed easily. I'm been reading threads here about tung oil
and have got myself confused. First, it sounds as if I may not need a
dye -- that the tung oil itself will perhaps give me the look I want.
I've experimented with a scrap piece and removed the finish and then
wetted the surface with water and it looked about like what I'm looking
for -- maybe just a little too light, perhaps not. So, questions:

1) Will multiple applications of the tung oil result in further
darkening so that I can keep applying (after drying) until I get the
color I want?

2) Or will a dye be necessary, first?

3) If I dye and get the exact color I want, will putting the tung oil
over it darken the color?

4) And I'm assuming that I *can* put tung oil over wood dye -- can I?

5) What grits of sandpaper should I use to get the wood stripped and
then ready for applying the dye or tung oil?

6) Do I sand or use steel wool between the dye and the tung oil or
between applications of tung oil?

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

wrote:

I've got a solid mahogany study that is ruined (IMO) by a dark stain.
I would like to sand off the finish (a lacquer, I was told) and the
underlying stain or dye to get to bare wood and then apply a pure tung
oil finish. Why tung oil? Well, someone told me it looked great and
could be renewed easily. I'm been reading threads here about tung oil
and have got myself confused. First, it sounds as if I may not need a
dye -- that the tung oil itself will perhaps give me the look I want.
I've experimented with a scrap piece and removed the finish and then
wetted the surface with water and it looked about like what I'm looking
for -- maybe just a little too light, perhaps not. So, questions:

1) Will multiple applications of the tung oil result in further
darkening so that I can keep applying (after drying) until I get the
color I want?

no

2) Or will a dye be necessary, first?

yes

3) If I dye and get the exact color I want, will putting the tung oil
over it darken the color?

yes

4) And I'm assuming that I *can* put tung oil over wood dye -- can I?

yes

5) What grits of sandpaper should I use to get the wood stripped and
then ready for applying the dye or tung oil?

whatever it takes. don't skip grits or you'll find it's next to
impossible to remove sanding marks.

6) Do I sand or use steel wool between the dye and the tung oil or
between applications of tung oil?

if you want, you can lightly sand after the dye with 220-320 to knock
off nubs raised by waterbased dye.

sanding between coats of tung oil -- depends on how fine a texture you
want. let your fingers be your guide

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Rich

Get that piece of scrap and try different combinations of dye/stain and oil
to see what you want is what you'll get. Once you get the right combination
your in.
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Thanks!

I guess there should have been a question 0!

0) If I like the look of the wood when it is wet with water, will I
get a smiliar look with just the tung oil? (Look in terms of color and
darkness.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Excellent point and matches my own thinking -- but I'm trying to match
a desk. Still I think with water it looked pretty close to my desk.
My wife thought it was a little light, though. This office is
beautifully made -- mostly solid mahogany, although in some places 3/4"
mahogany plywood was used. The shelves are an actual 2" thick mahogany
planks.

Next question: How do I get the dye and lacquer from those hard to get
to places -- any special sanding tools or are there chemicals?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks again!

One (I hope!) final question. If I decide I want to use a dye before
applying the tung oil, is there a particular type I must use -- oil
based, for example?

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

wrote:

Thanks again!

One (I hope!) final question. If I decide I want to use a dye before
applying the tung oil, is there a particular type I must use -- oil
based, for example?

you can used water based dye

Posted to rec.woodworking

Okay, I received the Tung Oil and rubbed it onto the wood and let it
dry. It's not as shiny as I would like -- in fact, it's not shiny at
all. Is this because I only have sanded with 60 grit? When I go to
220 or whatever, will it be shinier? Or is Tung Oil not shiny? If it
isn't shiny, would I wax it afterward, or is it just not for me?
Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm using Behlen's and they say you *can* dilute it 1:4 but don't say
why you might want to -- is it just cost, because the cost of this oil
is going to be the least of my concerns.

They also recommend a 360 grit finish. I hadn't planned to go that
fine for mahoganey -- what do you suggest?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tyke

People add solvent to get the finish to dry faster. If time is not a
problem, then I would not dilute.

A 60 grit prepared surface will not look good, whatever finish. You need at
least 200. I get decent results with 200 and a Random Orbit Sander.

A 360 grit surface will look better. It is your trade off for elbow grease
vs final appearance.

You could try scraping. Depending on the grain this can produce a very
smooth surface. Mahogany is famous for the wild grain. If you have grain
running in all directions, then forget scraping.

Dave Paine.
wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm using Behlen's and they say you *can* dilute it 1:4 but don't say
why you might want to -- is it just cost, because the cost of this oil
is going to be the least of my concerns.

They also recommend a 360 grit finish. I hadn't planned to go that
fine for mahoganey -- what do you suggest?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks, I have no problem going to 360, if that's what it takes. I
applied over 60 grit just because that's what I had used to remove the
old finish and I wanted a quick look at what a tung oil finish was
like. Drying time won't be a problem so I'll use straight tung oil.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Tyke wrote:

If you have grain
running in all directions, then forget scraping.

Why do you say that?

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

That's the time TO scrape.

"Tyke" wrote in message

If you have grain
running in all directions, then forget scraping.

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Tyke wrote:
If you have grain
running in all directions, then forget scraping.

It's this some sort of a joke? If so, I don't get it.

dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

From some of my reading on here I suspect the Formby's and Minwax "tung
oil" aren't 100% tung oil -- nothing wrong with that but I want to go
with 100% tung oil.

Okay, I purchased a random orbit sander and went over one side of one
shelf with 60 grit followed by 100 and then 120 grit. This is already
about as smooth as the other side of the shelf -- making me think that
the room was originally sanded only to 150 grit. I've purchased 60,
100, 150, 240, 320, and 400 grit (and the sander came with one sheet of
120 grit). It will be interesting to see/feel the difference between
the current finish and the 400 grit finish.

My next question, I'm getting lots of very fine dust in/on the wood.
Is it okay to use water to get this off (after vacuuming) or do I use
paint thinner as someone suggested? Is a tack cloth (which I'll buy
tomorrow and have never seen) used last, or before the liquid?

Posted to rec.woodworking

So, if tackcloths are out and I don't want to make my own as you
describe, what about wiping off the wood with mineral spirits or
alcohol? Do these raise the grain and require light resanding after
use as water does?