Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default I want to buy a solid piece of pure tungsten, 3 to 15 lbs.

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 19, 11:53 pm, "Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:
"Todd Rich" wrote in message

Adam Corolla wrote:

snip-----

If it wasn't my only one, I've got a sintered 5# block from work. An
unneeded engineering sample. I'll ask and see if they have any others,
but I don't think they'll have one for a couple of weeks/months. It is
weird how dense it is.

If you thinktungsten'sweird to handle, try gold, or even platinum. Both
are heavier, platinum by a considerable amount. It's about 10% heavier
than
gold, which is about 12% heavier thantungsten. Both are very strange to
hold, and easily slip from your grip.

Harold

Harold,

If I'm not mistaken, gold has a density of 19.32 grams/cc and tungsten
has a density of 19.3, making them almost identical. You are correct
about the platinum, though, as it has a density of 21.45.

Thanks. Earlier, someone pointed out that I was mistaken, that tungsten
and gold are almost identical in specific gravity. I quickly verified
that they were correct, although there's considerable debate on the true
specific gravity of tungsten. There seems to be a consensus on the
reason. Tungsten is not melted when processed, but is worked via powder
metallurgical procedures. It, apparently, doesn't always end up at the
same level of density, or concentration. Can you add anything to that
concept?

Harold