Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I want to buy a solid piece of pure tungsten, 3 to 15 lbs.

I had the pleasure to walk into the rare metals company in Dallas
many years ago. This was with two artist friends who were buying
some gold and other fancy silver stuff Pt.

They, in the store, had a counter that was like a tank and not further
behind them was a bank vault for their wares.

On that counter was a 'brick' of silver. I think it was about 8x8x16.
It was sitting on some receipts. It was their paper weight. Used once.
The papers were there from the first year of business. The brick
was to heavy for anyone to pick up much less turn and get out the
door.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Ed Huntress wrote:
et...
Think of the conventional ingot of gold----400 troy ounces. About the
size of a modular masonry brick----and weighs a whopping 27.4285 pounds
avoirdupois.

I have two 50-pound bricks of pure lead, which I inherited from my uncle,
who used them to cast lead sinkers and bullets. It's always entertaining to
ask one of my friends if he'd pick one up for me. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress