Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I want to buy a solid piece of pure tungsten, 3 to 15 lbs.

"Doug White" wrote in message

You can also try contacting these guys:

http://members.aol.com/blkholela/home/

I bought some tungsten rod from them a number of years ago. If you talk
to Ed (the owner), tell him I sent you. I grew up in Los Alamos & he and
I go WAY back.

Doug White

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 25, 8:43 pm, "Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

On Oct 19, 11:53 pm, "Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:
"Todd Rich" wrote in message

Adam Corolla wrote:
snip-----

If it wasn't my only one, I've got a sintered 5# block from work.
An
unneeded engineering sample. I'll ask and see if they have any
others,
but I don't think they'll have one for a couple of weeks/months. It
is
weird how dense it is.

If you thinktungsten'sweird to handle, try gold, or even platinum.
Both
are heavier, platinum by a considerable amount. It's about 10%
heavier
than
gold, which is about 12% heavier thantungsten. Both are very strange
hold, and easily slip from your grip.

Harold

Harold,

If I'm not mistaken, gold has a density of 19.32 grams/cc andtungsten
has a density of 19.3, making them almost identical. You are correct
about the platinum, though, as it has a density of 21.45.

Thanks. Earlier, someone pointed out that I was mistaken, thattungsten
and gold are almost identical in specific gravity. I quickly verified
that they were correct, although there's considerable debate on the true
specific gravity oftungsten. There seems to be a consensus on the
reason. Tungstenis not melted when processed, but is worked via powder
metallurgical procedures. It, apparently, doesn't always end up at the
same level of density, or concentration. Can you add anything to that
concept?

Harold- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I can elaborate a bit. Tungsten has the highest melting point of
any metal, making it difficult to consolidate by smelting, melting,
and casting. Typically, tungsten is liberated from the ore by
chemical extraction as opposed to smelting. Crushed ore is sent
through a series of chemical reactions until one is left, finally with
tungsten oxide powder. This powder is then roasted in a hydrogen
furnace to yeild water and very pure tungsten powder. This powder
then must be consolidated. In the powder metallurgy process, the
powder is blended with a small amount of binder and pressed under high
pressure to form a fragile bar. This bar is placed in a molybdenum
tray and put into a hydrogen furnace to presinter. The solidifies the
bar a bit and drives out the binder. This bar is then placed in a
"sintering bottle" which is a quartz tube with two spring-loaded,
water-cooled contacts. A large electric current is then passed
through the bar, which heats it to very high temperatures. The bar
then sinters, or consolidates, shrinking as this happens, thus the
need for the spring loaded holders. The sintered bar is not fully
dense. Depending on the particle size and the sintering temperature
it is about 88% to 96% dense. However, this bar is usually densified
further by millwork, typically rolling or drawing, so that the final
product will come quite close to theoretical density. This is by far
the most common way of consolidating tungsten, but there are others
such as arc casting, electron beam melting, and plasma spraying. Some
of these methods will produce a result that is very near or at
theoretical density.

Inkydog

That's fascinating. You might want to consider adding that info to
Wikipedia.

Would tungsten be melted if there was a way to make an effective crucible
that wouldn't melt or react with the tungsten?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 26, 11:07 am, "Adam Corolla"
wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Oct 25, 8:43 pm, "Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:

oups.com...

"Todd Rich" wrote in message

Adam Corolla wrote:
[...]

that wouldn't melt or react with thetungsten?- Hide quoted text -

Tungsten does melt. You have correctly discerned that the issue
becomes containing it. Molds of carbon which may be water-cooled and/
or plasma sprayed with a tungsten coating are used in the arc casting
process. There are other methods as well which utilize water cooled
tubes where powder forms thin layer which is continually melted by an
arc or an electron beam. Powder is continually added and the
solidified cylinder which is created moves downward out of the tube as
each new layer is melted. Thus only a small amount of material is
melted at any one time. You will generally not ever see large
quantities of molten tungsten in a big crucible, such as those found
in a steel refinery.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:

I've noticed when holding something *expensive* that my grip is a lot
tighter and more tiring. I want to put it down as soon as I can.

You mean like when holding Aunt Martha's Tifffany compote? :-)

I was thinking more of a gentlemans fine rifle or shotgun.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:

I've noticed when holding something *expensive* that my grip is a lot
tighter and more tiring. I want to put it down as soon as I can.

You mean like when holding Aunt Martha's Tifffany compote? :-)

I was thinking more of a gentlemans fine rifle or shotgun.

Oh, yeah! I must remember, not all folks here are art glass collectors!
(We are) :-)

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ups.com...
wrote:
wrote in message

Would tungsten be melted if there was a way to make an effective crucible
that wouldn't melt or react with the tungsten?- Hide quoted text -

Tungsten does melt. You have correctly discerned that the issue
becomes containing it. Molds of carbon which may be water-cooled and/
or plasma sprayed with a tungsten coating are used in the arc casting
process. There are other methods as well which utilize water cooled
tubes where powder forms thin layer which is continually melted by an
arc or an electron beam. Powder is continually added and the
solidified cylinder which is created moves downward out of the tube as
each new layer is melted. Thus only a small amount of material is
melted at any one time. You will generally not ever see large
quantities of molten tungsten in a big crucible, such as those found
in a steel refinery.

Why don't they just use a tantalum hafnium carbide crucible? Is that stuff
too expensive? If not, it should work--it's melting point is over 1400
degrees F. higher than Tungsten's. Or for that matter, they could use a
carbon crucible. Carbon remains solid at temperatures considerably higher
than tungsten. Maybe they can't be used as crucibles for tungsten because
those materials would react with the molten tungsten?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 19:07:48 -0500, "Adam Corolla"
wrote:

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
. ..

I did ask about prices and learned that the current price for ingots
is around $60 to $70 per kilo. I didn't get to the guy who sells the
scrap, but I'd guess it goes for around half that, which would make it
about 1-1/2 times the price of carbide scrap.

--
Ned Simmons

Sounds great! 1/2" square by 2' long would be fine. I am guessing they
would weigh almost 1.9 kilo or a little under 4.2 pounds each? Unless my
math is rusty...? One of those would be perfect! So, I'm guessing it
would
cost around $65-70 before shipping? Very reasonable.

Let me see if I can pin down the price. It may be a couple weeks
before I'm up there again.

--
Ned Simmons

Hi, Ned! I was just wondering if you had a chance to check on that.
Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:38:38 -0600, "Adam Corolla"
wrote:

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message

Let me see if I can pin down the price. It may be a couple weeks
before I'm up there again.

--
Ned Simmons

Hi, Ned! I was just wondering if you had a chance to check on that.
Thanks!

No, I haven't been at my customer's place since our last exchange, but
I'll do my best to remember when I do get there.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
wrote:

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message

Let me see if I can pin down the price. It may be a couple weeks
before I'm up there again.

--
Ned Simmons

Hi, Ned! I was just wondering if you had a chance to check on that.
Thanks!

No, I haven't been at my customer's place since our last exchange, but
I'll do my best to remember when I do get there.

--
Ned Simmons

Thanks! :-)

Pure tung oil not drying -- help! [email protected] Woodworking 9 August 20th 06 01:30 PM
OT - New One piece Bearings versus two piece style stone Metalworking 4 March 27th 06 03:56 PM
Pure tung oil Ken Moon Woodturning 7 January 20th 06 11:48 PM
Toilet questions- 1 piece versus 2 piece toilets KOS Home Ownership 1 September 29th 05 03:25 PM
OT-Pure Insanity Cliff Metalworking 3 September 1st 05 05:46 PM