Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stone

Default OT - New One piece Bearings versus two piece style

What's the deal with bearings?

I went to replace a bearing in my old trencher machine
and it was a bearing and a race.

The new replacement bearing is all one piece.

Besides not knowing how to put the thing back together,
I'm wondering why this is now the situation.

The old roller type bearing was pressed on the axle
with a retainer ring behind it. And I see no way to
do this with a one piece bearing.

I'm guessing that the new bearing must be installed
on the hub, along with the seals, and then the
axle slid through all this?

Is this correct?

It's always something...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Davey

stone wrote:
What's the deal with bearings?

I went to replace a bearing in my old trencher machine
and it was a bearing and a race.

The new replacement bearing is all one piece.

Besides not knowing how to put the thing back together,
I'm wondering why this is now the situation.

The old roller type bearing was pressed on the axle
with a retainer ring behind it. And I see no way to
do this with a one piece bearing.

I'm guessing that the new bearing must be installed
on the hub, along with the seals, and then the
axle slid through all this?

Is this correct?

It's always something...

Like they sent you the wrong bearing??

Ken.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend

Is this correct?

It's always something...

Like they sent you the wrong bearing??

No doubt. You'll have to take the old race and bearing to a place that sells
bearing and ask them to match them. McMaster Carr has most, not all, sizes.
Or, you can ask your parts place to try again.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stealth Pilot

On 26 Mar 2006 16:35:50 -0800, "stone" wrote:

What's the deal with bearings?

I went to replace a bearing in my old trencher machine
and it was a bearing and a race.

The new replacement bearing is all one piece.

Besides not knowing how to put the thing back together,
I'm wondering why this is now the situation.

The old roller type bearing was pressed on the axle
with a retainer ring behind it. And I see no way to
do this with a one piece bearing.

I'm guessing that the new bearing must be installed
on the hub, along with the seals, and then the
axle slid through all this?

Is this correct?

It's always something...

taper roller bearings are still in two parts.
is the new one a parallel roller?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stone

It must be parallel. It was definitely one piece.

I did send it back and found another one at
a Bearings Inc.

It is a tapered roller bearing. And it's a good thing to know
that these only come in two parts.

I was almost ready to try to make this 'work'.
Thanks.

It's kind of amazing how you can agonize over things
looking for a solution. But then the light goes on, hey,
it's the wrong part.

All the numbers were right, but it was the wrong part.
It's always something.

Toilet questions- 1 piece versus 2 piece toilets KOS Home Ownership 1 September 29th 05 04:25 PM
Craftsman Table Saw eating bearings type 6202Z Joe Woodworking 21 March 29th 05 04:08 PM
Steam Bending Lumber - Any Good Sites Big John Woodworking 2 December 26th 04 07:30 PM
FAQ - Steambending gregg Woodworking 0 December 26th 04 03:06 PM
Sliding bearings for telescoping square tubing? Terry King Metalworking 11 July 21st 03 05:00 AM