Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Adam Corolla Adam Corolla is offline

Default I want to buy a solid piece of pure tungsten, 3 to 15 lbs.

. net...

"Todd Rich" wrote in message
Adam Corolla wrote:

snip-----

If it wasn't my only one, I've got a sintered 5# block from work. An
unneeded engineering sample. I'll ask and see if they have any others,
but I don't think they'll have one for a couple of weeks/months. It is
weird how dense it is.

If you think tungsten's weird to handle, try gold, or even platinum.
Both are heavier, platinum by a considerable amount. It's about 10%
heavier than gold, which is about 12% heavier than tungsten. Both are
very strange to hold, and easily slip from your grip.

Harold

Gold is almost the same density as tungsten. Maybe you are thinking of
tungsten carbide? You're right about Platinum being about 10% heaviet than
gold, though.

Tungsten Density (near r.t.) 19.25 g/cc

Gold Density (near r.t.) 19.3 g/cc

Platinum Density (near r.t.) 21.45 g/cc

What I'd really like is a ten-pound chunk of iridium:

22.42 g/cc

But that stuff goes for around 25 bucks a GRAM, even if it was $25 a POUND
I'd have trouble justifyinggetting ten pounds of it, so there's no way
unless I win the lottery, LOL.