Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default ON topic (wow!) OA Welding tank problem

I seem to have a problem here.

Victor F-100, 0, 00, and #3(?) tips (aircraft project stuff),
regulators, small dia hoses, and tanks in a dolly.

No, the rig works fine, but I'm moving into a rental house and noticed
in the lease a clause prohibiting storage of flammable or explosive
materials.

Small amounts of ammo (less than 2000 rounds per piece are deemed ok,
but the acetylene tanks might make the insurance company itchy, so...

So, anybody in the D/FW area who would like have this rig?

Tanks were last exchanged in 05.

I don't recall the correct size designations.
O2 is ~5' tall, Acetylene is about 3.

What would it be worth in cash or trade?

Richard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard: Just chain them up behind the garage and tarp them. Or keep
them on the
patio. I kept my rig on the balcony of several apratments here in the
DFW area and
never had a problem as long as they were
covered...disguised.....ahem...ahem..

Craig

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What do you know about the landlord? It ought to be OK to just move
them in and tarp them; if the landlord says anything apologize and get
serious about finding them a new home.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

What do you know about the landlord? It ought to be OK to just move
them in and tarp them; if the landlord says anything apologize and get
serious about finding them a new home.

He pointed out that it's an insurance issue.
The lease reads, "anything that might increase risk or rates"...

As for a "new home", I'm getting ready to go sailing for a while.
Three to six months for sure, maybe longer...?

But my lady friend isn't going - yet.
She has a daughter in high school, so it will be a while for her.

I'm trying to lighten up the storage requirements on stuff that I
really don't need to store.

Remember George Carlin's rant an;it "stuff"?

Richard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself writes:

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

What do you know about the landlord? It ought to be OK to just move
them in and tarp them; if the landlord says anything apologize and get
serious about finding them a new home.

He pointed out that it's an insurance issue.
The lease reads, "anything that might increase risk or rates"...

Ah, you asked? That makes it awkward. But if it says "might increase
risk or rates" I wonder if an oxy rig really would?

As for a "new home", I'm getting ready to go sailing for a while.
Three to six months for sure, maybe longer...?

But my lady friend isn't going - yet.
She has a daughter in high school, so it will be a while for her.

Sorry, I meant a new home for the oxy rig if it turned out to be
necessary.

I'm trying to lighten up the storage requirements on stuff that I
really don't need to store.

Remember George Carlin's rant an;it "stuff"?

I'm afraid that if you followed the pack rats when they made a
pilgrimage to their shrine, you'd find them kneeling in before a bunch
of little candles in front of a picture of me.... (sadly enough)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 21 Jul 2007 22:47:35 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer
wrote:

cavelamb himself writes:

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

[...]

Can't you just return the bottles and get the deposit back. Then you
can store the4 torch and regulators?

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:
I seem to have a problem here.

Victor F-100, 0, 00, and #3(?) tips (aircraft project stuff),
regulators, small dia hoses, and tanks in a dolly.

No, the rig works fine, but I'm moving into a rental house and noticed
in the lease a clause prohibiting storage of flammable or explosive
materials.

Small amounts of ammo (less than 2000 rounds per piece are deemed ok,
but the acetylene tanks might make the insurance company itchy, so...

So, anybody in the D/FW area who would like have this rig?

Tanks were last exchanged in 05.

I don't recall the correct size designations.
O2 is ~5' tall, Acetylene is about 3.

What would it be worth in cash or trade?

Richard

It really depends on how often you might need them in the future.
There has to be several options other than parting with them.
the insurance clause is onerous and stupid.. what about gas for a
grass mower? chainsaw etc, or fire wood and paper? Ask the landlord
about this?
.. there all other combustible materials like upholstered furniture
magazines cooking oil as well as cotton clothing plastic etc.
What about releasing the gas? fromthe tank. No gas no fire risk.
then you get to Keep the gear.
Youve a natural justice right to raise these concerns
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Bruce wrote:

Can't you just return the bottles and get the deposit back. Then you
can store the4 torch and regulators?

If the tanks are yours, you could just empty them and have zero
fire hazard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

snip

He pointed out that it's an insurance issue.
The lease reads, "anything that might increase risk or rates"...

Richard, considering your affection for building and flying homebuilt
experimentals thus preclude you? VBG

George

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

George wrote:

snip

He pointed out that it's an insurance issue.
The lease reads, "anything that might increase risk or rates"...

Richard, considering your affection for building and flying homebuilt
experimentals thus preclude you? VBG

George

LoL!
Yep, there is that.
But I have repented.

I'm just a simple sailor now...

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

No, the rig works fine, but I'm moving into a rental house and noticed
in the lease a clause prohibiting storage of flammable or explosive
materials.

Empty the tanks.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

No, the rig works fine, but I'm moving into a rental house and noticed
in the lease a clause prohibiting storage of flammable or explosive
materials.

Empty the tanks.

Wes

And then?

I'm trying to get rid of them...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

snip

But I have repented.

I'm just a simple sailor now...

That is sad to hear, but then it is all about aerodynamics isn't it?

Where are you planning to sail? Caribbean or further?

Of course you are going to continue dropping in to r.a.h. aren't you? If
not, you will be missed.

Anyway and whatever, all the best.

George
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 14:44:18 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes
quickly quoth:

cavelamb himself wrote:

No, the rig works fine, but I'm moving into a rental house and noticed
in the lease a clause prohibiting storage of flammable or explosive
materials.

Empty the tanks.

Into his landlord's car? bseg

- Metaphors Be With You -

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb himself" wrote: And then?

I'm trying to get rid of them...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I just went back and re-read your original post. The lease on the new place
you have rented does not allow storage of combustibles or explosives. Empty
the acetylene tank. Oxygen is neither combustible or explosive. (You may
have to argue with some people about it.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"cavelamb himself" wrote: And then?
I'm trying to get rid of them...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I just went back and re-read your original post. The lease on the new place
you have rented does not allow storage of combustibles or explosives. Empty
the acetylene tank. Oxygen is neither combustible or explosive. (You may
have to argue with some people about it.)

I'm a little vague on how this will help him sell an O/A rig he no
longer needs. The guy has unneeded gear and wants money, this is not a
tough problem guys. If I was closer I'd throw you an offer. BTW
emptying an acetylene tank of Acetylene will leave you with a tank full
of acetone...which is still highly flammable.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stuart Wheaton writes:

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"cavelamb himself" wrote: And then?
I'm trying to get rid of them...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I just went back and re-read your original post. The lease on the
new place you have rented does not allow storage of combustibles or
explosives. Empty the acetylene tank. Oxygen is neither
combustible or explosive. (You may have to argue with some people
about it.)

I'm a little vague on how this will help him sell an O/A rig he no
longer needs. The guy has unneeded gear and wants money, this is not
a tough problem guys. If I was closer I'd throw you an offer. BTW
emptying an acetylene tank of Acetylene will leave you with a tank
full of acetone...which is still highly flammable.

be trying to get rid of the rig because of the terms of the lease (in
which case, solutions that involved keeping the rig seemed
preferable). It was only later that it came out he might just want to
get rid of it anyway.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

George wrote:

snip

But I have repented.

I'm just a simple sailor now...

That is sad to hear, but then it is all about aerodynamics isn't it?

Where are you planning to sail? Caribbean or further?

Of course you are going to continue dropping in to r.a.h. aren't you? If
not, you will be missed.

Anyway and whatever, all the best.

George

Aw, George, don't make me get all misty now...

I truly did enjoy the work.
And especially the people.
Yeah, I'll miss it. But on to new things.
The only permanent thing in life is change.

I did manage to accomplish that childish childhood dream.
Design, build and fly my own airplanes.

What a hoot that was!
Like all the excitement of your first solo -
layered with all the dread of wondering what you forgot...
Lots of raw wild emotion there.

You are right.
Flying and sailing are identical opposites.
So I fly a one-winged glider now and 6 knots is really hauling!

I'm going to launch from Khema in a few months.
Heading along the coast with the vague intent of making the Bahamas
and back before the season starts up again.

Just trying to get the girls all settled into their new home first.
School starts up soon so they need to get it done now.

I just posted a garage sale notice in R.A.H.
Cleaning out boxes of stuff and found a few aviation related things
that I just couldn't toss in the trash - and don't want to store.

There are some beautiful models there - if anyone here is interested.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~tp-1/index.htm

And - yes - I still need to do something with these welding tanks!?!

Aw well - sniff -

Thanks George.

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

Stuart Wheaton writes:

Leo Lichtman wrote:

[...]

My bad, guys. Sorry.

No, I don't need them any more.
Yes, the lease at the new house prohibits storage.

No, they won't fit in the boat...
Yes, I hope somebody can get some use of them.

Richard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

No, the rig works fine, but I'm moving into a rental house and noticed
in the lease a clause prohibiting storage of flammable or explosive
materials.

Empty the tanks.

Into his landlord's car? bseg

- Metaphors Be With You -

Well, that's one form of eviction...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

Stuart Wheaton writes:

Leo Lichtman wrote:

[...]

Allright already, I'm north of Dallas and I don't yet have an O/A setup
(got TIG and plasma). What do you want for it? My budget is a bit dented
of late due to SCUBA stuff...

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

Allright already, I'm north of Dallas and I don't yet have an O/A setup
(got TIG and plasma). What do you want for it? My budget is a bit dented
of late due to SCUBA stuff...

Pete C.

Yea, Pete!
Come on down and thanks you for playing!

How 'bout a hunderd bucks - tanks, torch, tips, hoses, et al?
Or trade for good U.S. Diver mask and fins? Size 11 !!!

Well, it's a start?

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Allright already, I'm north of Dallas and I don't yet have an O/A setup
(got TIG and plasma). What do you want for it? My budget is a bit dented
of late due to SCUBA stuff...

Pete C.

Yea, Pete!
Come on down and thanks you for playing!

How 'bout a hunderd bucks - tanks, torch, tips, hoses, et al?
Or trade for good U.S. Diver mask and fins? Size 11 !!!

Well, it's a start?

Richard

Allrighty, sold. I'm afraid I don't have any SCUBA gear to trade, I just
started SCUBA in January so I haven't built up a gear surplus yet. I
also use size 10. I'll be down in the Dallas area on Wednesday
afternoon. Send me an email (remove .DOH.) to coordinate.

Thanks,

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

Done done it, Pete.

I gotta get some fins and a mask.
AND a good stiff brush.

The bottom of the little boat is getting kinda green...
We have a couple of local divers that do that kind of stuff.
They may be crazy, but they aint stupid.
Not at all, considering what they charge!

Look forward to meeting you.

Richard

Allrighty, sold. I'm afraid I don't have any SCUBA gear to trade, I just
started SCUBA in January so I haven't built up a gear surplus yet. I
also use size 10. I'll be down in the Dallas area on Wednesday
afternoon. Send me an email (remove .DOH.) to coordinate.

Thanks,

Pete C.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:47:24 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Allrighty, sold. I'm afraid I don't have any SCUBA gear to trade, I just
started SCUBA in January so I haven't built up a gear surplus yet. I
also use size 10. I'll be down in the Dallas area on Wednesday
afternoon. Send me an email (remove .DOH.) to coordinate.

Thanks,

Pete C.

Pete, thanks for saving me from myself. I did not need a fourth torch.

Andy

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Allrighty, sold. I'm afraid I don't have any SCUBA gear to trade, I just
started SCUBA in January so I haven't built up a gear surplus yet. I
also use size 10. I'll be down in the Dallas area on Wednesday
afternoon. Send me an email (remove .DOH.) to coordinate.

Pete, thanks for saving me from myself. I did not need a fourth torch.

Me too -- I don't own a torch, and I would have been trying to talk my
brother in law in Dallas into storing it until somebody next passed
through. Wait a minute, my son will be visiting his grandparents in
Ft. Worth on his way home next month (he's currently a co-op at JSC in
Houston)... hmmm, maybe it would have fit in the trunk of his Mustang
(on its side, of course) along with all his worldly belongings....
just as well. *Really* just as well.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Allrighty, sold. I'm afraid I don't have any SCUBA gear to trade, I just
started SCUBA in January so I haven't built up a gear surplus yet. I
also use size 10. I'll be down in the Dallas area on Wednesday
afternoon. Send me an email (remove .DOH.) to coordinate.

Pete, thanks for saving me from myself. I did not need a fourth torch.

Me too -- I don't own a torch, and I would have been trying to talk my
brother in law in Dallas into storing it until somebody next passed
through. Wait a minute, my son will be visiting his grandparents in
Ft. Worth on his way home next month (he's currently a co-op at JSC in
Houston)... hmmm, maybe it would have fit in the trunk of his Mustang
(on its side, of course) along with all his worldly belongings....
just as well. *Really* just as well.

OOOoooo....

That brings an ugly thought to mind.

Pete, do you have a way to transport the tanks safely.

I have laid them down on side before, but got properly rear reamed
afterwords. Along with a scary explination of the hazzards involved.

I don't want to screw up the deal, but Im sure you don't want to
blow up your car, either!

Richard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 03:34:26 GMT, cavelamb himself
wrote:

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

OOOoooo....

That brings an ugly thought to mind.

Pete, do you have a way to transport the tanks safely.

I have laid them down on side before, but got properly rear reamed
afterwords. Along with a scary explination of the hazzards involved.

I don't want to screw up the deal, but Im sure you don't want to
blow up your car, either!

In a perfect world the cylinders are always transported vertically
in an open stake-bed truck with lots of tie-downs - but life is rarely
perfect, so you do the best you can with what you've got.

The important part is to take the regulators off, put the safety
caps on the cylinders (if they have the threaded collars), and secure
them very tightly with multiple straps so they can't shift or slide.

The acetylene really should be upright at all times, but if you
can't you can't - if transported horizontally let it sit upright
overnight before trying to use it.

And if you have to transport them in a car trunk leave the trunk lid
wedged open several inches so there's plenty of air circulation and
the tanks stay cool - Wedge a large cardboard box in the trunk lid gap
and secure the lid down with a motorcycle strap. Park in the shade.

And sniff test around the trunk every time before you start driving
- Leaking acetylene smells faintly of almonds.

The Lower Explosive Limit on acetylene is something like 4% in air,
meaning little leaks can have big consequences. The taillight circuit
is enough. If you think there my be a leak, get away from the car and
call in the Fire Dept. to check. Better safe then six feet under.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

wrote:

[...]

As far as I know, horizontal is perfectly fine if the cylinders are
properly capped and secured, and the acetylene cylinder is allowed to
sit vertical for at least a few hours or overnight to allow the acetone
to settle back down (rather like the compressor oil in a refrigerator).
At any rate I've got a 1T pickup to put them in, just no ladder rack to
secure them vertical.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote:

The Lower Explosive Limit on acetylene is something like 4% in air,
meaning little leaks can have big consequences. The taillight circuit
is enough. If you think there my be a leak, get away from the car and
call in the Fire Dept. to check. Better safe then six feet under.

-- Bruce --

The MSDS indicates a lower flammable limit of 2.5% (upper 82%).

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote:

The Lower Explosive Limit on acetylene is something like 4% in air,
meaning little leaks can have big consequences. The taillight circuit
is enough. If you think there my be a leak, get away from the car and
call in the Fire Dept. to check. Better safe then six feet under.

-- Bruce --

The MSDS indicates a lower flammable limit of 2.5% (upper 82%).

Pete, he said "explosive limit". There is a difference. Like acetone,
acetylene has an extremely wide range of flammability in air. Basically,
there is no safe amount. If you can smell it, fear it.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote:

The Lower Explosive Limit on acetylene is something like 4% in air,
meaning little leaks can have big consequences. The taillight circuit
is enough. If you think there my be a leak, get away from the car and
call in the Fire Dept. to check. Better safe then six feet under.

-- Bruce --

The MSDS indicates a lower flammable limit of 2.5% (upper 82%).

Pete, he said "explosive limit". There is a difference. Like acetone,
acetylene has an extremely wide range of flammability in air. Basically,
there is no safe amount. If you can smell it, fear it.

LLoyd

The MSDS didn't include a LEL, only LFL.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
cavelamb himself wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Very well.
Just wanted to make sure.
The tanks are aleady capped.

Richard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:
"Pete C." wrote...
"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote:

The Lower Explosive Limit on acetylene is something like 4% in air,
meaning little leaks can have big consequences. The taillight circuit
is enough. If you think there my be a leak, get away from the car and
call in the Fire Dept. to check. Better safe then six feet under.

The MSDS indicates a lower flammable limit of 2.5% (upper 82%).

Pete, he said "explosive limit". There is a difference. Like acetone,
acetylene has an extremely wide range of flammability in air. Basically,
there is no safe amount. If you can smell it, fear it.

The MSDS didn't include a LEL, only LFL.

2.5%, 4%, explosive limit, flammable limit, Whatever - My original
point being (and it still remains) that it doesn't take much at all to
make really bad things happen.

A little leak, one little spark...

And in light of that, a little healthy paranoia goes a long way in
keeping you healthy. Treat it like it could go BOOM! precisely
because it *can* go BOOM! if you don't follow the rules.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:
"Pete C." wrote...
"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote:

[...]

Yep, I'm always paranoid, that's why I can spend a day working alone in
the woods with a chain saw and a backhoe and no cell coverage and live
to talk about it. My shop is also a separate building 80' from the
house.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

2.5%, 4%, explosive limit, flammable limit, Whatever - My original
point being (and it still remains) that it doesn't take much at all to
make really bad things happen.

A little leak, one little spark...

And in light of that, a little healthy paranoia goes a long way in
keeping you healthy. Treat it like it could go BOOM! precisely
because it *can* go BOOM! if you don't follow the rules.

-- Bruce --

You know, that's one of the most useful things I've picked up from this
newsgroup.

The (very) healthy attitude to ask myself, "how is this thing going to
try to hurt me this time".

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cell Phone - was: ON topic (wow!) OA Welding tank problem

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 13:02:48 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Yep, I'm always paranoid, that's why I can spend a day working alone in
the woods with a chain saw and a backhoe and no cell coverage and live
to talk about it. My shop is also a separate building 80' from the
house.

Pete C.

SWMBO has a cell phone for emergency use. Once the original contract
ran out, I switched to "pay and talk" @ $10.00/ month. Her current
balance is over $300.00 (15+ hours local call time) after yearly
deduction of $40.00 for emergency road service which we carry for
other vehicles - ours is already covered.
OTOH second son maintains five cell phones - himself, current wife,
two step children (one living 3000 miles away) and step daughter's ex
BF. When his vehicle dies he calls dad to use mothers cell phone for
rescue.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 07:47:35 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

As far as I know, horizontal is perfectly fine if the cylinders are
properly capped and secured, and the acetylene cylinder is allowed to
sit vertical for at least a few hours or overnight to allow the acetone
to settle back down (rather like the compressor oil in a refrigerator).
At any rate I've got a 1T pickup to put them in, just no ladder rack to
secure them vertical.

You don't need a full ladder rack - just trim a chunk of 2X4 to fit
snugly in the stake pocket, and strap them to that. Done.

Or make a simple "Goalpost" rack with two 2X4 uprights in the front
pockets, one 2X6 cross-bar across the back window, and a few carriage
bolts to put it together.

Might need to put a few D-rings or "Footman's Loops" in the side
corners of the bed for a second strap, so the bottom of the cylinders
can't kick out and slide out from under the top strap.

If these are the 5' or 6' tall full-size cylinders, secure with
three straps - one at the top around the stake, one at the top of the
bed, and one about 6" up from the floor of the bed.

Myself, I'm tempted to go get some Aeroquip Track for the commercial
cargo straps and stick in full lengths all the way around (low and
high) inside the bed. The utility bed already has a ventilated
compartment sized for a B and 50CF set, but I might need to transport
spares for a bigger job, or a set of "real" bottles. ;-)

-- Bruce --

Off topic. Windows XP home: small problem Sylvain VAN DER WALDE UK diy 5 June 28th 06 12:50 PM
Neighbours faulty septic tank. Off topic? Broadback UK diy 8 October 28th 04 11:42 PM
welding an air tank stone Metalworking 8 August 20th 04 07:01 PM
motorcycle gas tank welding -advice needed wallster Metalworking 27 August 17th 04 10:52 PM
Welding tank refills R. Zimmerman Metalworking 24 August 10th 03 05:38 AM