Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Default Off topic. Windows XP home: small problem

Hello all.

I went to a Windows XP news group with my problem, but got no answers. Not
one. This group has some nasty trolls, who are very distracting and
disrupting in that news group.
Anyway, I hope that someone here can help.
Windows XP is able to ask you, when you have finished a task, "if you want
to turn the modem off" (or words to that effect), or continue. As I'm
absent-minded, I found this very useful. Now, I find that I'm forgetting to
turn the modem off occasionally; which is annoying and is costing me money.
This reminder has been available on and off, but I have no idea how to
install it (make it available) on a permanent basis.
Any ideas? I really miss it.

Thanks in advance.

Sylvain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
Hello all.

I went to a Windows XP news group with my problem, but got no
answers. Not one. This group has some nasty trolls, who are very
distracting and disrupting in that news group.
Anyway, I hope that someone here can help.
Windows XP is able to ask you, when you have finished a task, "if you
want to turn the modem off" (or words to that effect), or continue.
As I'm absent-minded, I found this very useful. Now, I find that I'm
forgetting to turn the modem off occasionally; which is annoying and
is costing me money. This reminder has been available on and off, but
I have no idea how to install it (make it available) on a permanent
basis.
Any ideas? I really miss it.

Thanks in advance.

Sylvain.

Can remeber where exactly?,but look at modem properties? there is a routine
that says...*disconnect if idle for more than X amount of time,this being a
manual setting for the time that the mouse is idle when in the browser.

DU, jesus! ain't it about time you moved to BB and live a little. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Women are like old TV's...the older they get the more prone they are to
switching off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

I went to a Windows XP news group with my problem, but got no answers. Not
one. This group has some nasty trolls, who are very distracting and
disrupting in that news group.

Our trolls are distracting in that group? Wow drivel's reach is awsome
even after death....

Anyway, I hope that someone here can help.
Windows XP is able to ask you, when you have finished a task, "if you want
to turn the modem off" (or words to that effect), or continue. As I'm
absent-minded, I found this very useful. Now, I find that I'm forgetting to
turn the modem off occasionally; which is annoying and is costing me money.
This reminder has been available on and off, but I have no idea how to
install it (make it available) on a permanent basis.
Any ideas? I really miss it.

Right click on My Network Places and select properties (or run Network
Connections app from control panel)

Right click on the entry for your ISP dialup and select properties

Select the Options tab

Set the "Idle time before hanging up" to a value other than "Never"

(note however that XP is very "net happy" and will tend to make
connections all over the place for no apparent reason, so it can take
longer you might expect for a link to truly become idle))

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
[...]

I've tried that, before and today. 10 mins. before. and 1 minute today. The
connection is terminated after 1 minute approx., with no message. I _used_
to get a message giving a countdown in seconds.
So, that's not the solution I require.

DU, jesus! ain't it about time you moved to BB and live a little. ;-)

??? Can you please explain.

Sylvain.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Women are like old TV's...the older they get the more prone they are to
switching off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

I went to a Windows XP news group with my problem, but got no answers.
Not one. This group has some nasty trolls, who are very distracting and
disrupting in that news group.

Our trolls are distracting in that group? Wow drivel's reach is awsome
even after death....

They're worse than he is.

[...]

I tried this before, but this just cuts off the connection.
I want the message which comes up everytime _I finish a task_.

Sylvain.

--
Cheers,

John.