Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman Bruce L. Bergman is offline

Default ON topic (wow!) OA Welding tank problem

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 03:34:26 GMT, cavelamb himself
wrote:

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

OOOoooo....

That brings an ugly thought to mind.

Pete, do you have a way to transport the tanks safely.

I have laid them down on side before, but got properly rear reamed
afterwords. Along with a scary explination of the hazzards involved.

I don't want to screw up the deal, but Im sure you don't want to
blow up your car, either!

In a perfect world the cylinders are always transported vertically
in an open stake-bed truck with lots of tie-downs - but life is rarely
perfect, so you do the best you can with what you've got.

The important part is to take the regulators off, put the safety
caps on the cylinders (if they have the threaded collars), and secure
them very tightly with multiple straps so they can't shift or slide.

The acetylene really should be upright at all times, but if you
can't you can't - if transported horizontally let it sit upright
overnight before trying to use it.

And if you have to transport them in a car trunk leave the trunk lid
wedged open several inches so there's plenty of air circulation and
the tanks stay cool - Wedge a large cardboard box in the trunk lid gap
and secure the lid down with a motorcycle strap. Park in the shade.

And sniff test around the trunk every time before you start driving
- Leaking acetylene smells faintly of almonds.

The Lower Explosive Limit on acetylene is something like 4% in air,
meaning little leaks can have big consequences. The taillight circuit
is enough. If you think there my be a leak, get away from the car and
call in the Fire Dept. to check. Better safe then six feet under.

-- Bruce --