Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman Bruce L. Bergman is offline

Default ON topic (wow!) OA Welding tank problem

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 07:47:35 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

As far as I know, horizontal is perfectly fine if the cylinders are
properly capped and secured, and the acetylene cylinder is allowed to
sit vertical for at least a few hours or overnight to allow the acetone
to settle back down (rather like the compressor oil in a refrigerator).
At any rate I've got a 1T pickup to put them in, just no ladder rack to
secure them vertical.

You don't need a full ladder rack - just trim a chunk of 2X4 to fit
snugly in the stake pocket, and strap them to that. Done.

Or make a simple "Goalpost" rack with two 2X4 uprights in the front
pockets, one 2X6 cross-bar across the back window, and a few carriage
bolts to put it together.

Might need to put a few D-rings or "Footman's Loops" in the side
corners of the bed for a second strap, so the bottom of the cylinders
can't kick out and slide out from under the top strap.

If these are the 5' or 6' tall full-size cylinders, secure with
three straps - one at the top around the stake, one at the top of the
bed, and one about 6" up from the floor of the bed.

Myself, I'm tempted to go get some Aeroquip Track for the commercial
cargo straps and stick in full lengths all the way around (low and
high) inside the bed. The utility bed already has a ventilated
compartment sized for a B and 50CF set, but I might need to transport
spares for a bigger job, or a set of "real" bottles. ;-)

-- Bruce --