Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Cydrome Leader

Default mini diesel engines

Does anybody have any opinions/stories of 4-6 HP 1 cylinder diesel
engines, like the Yanmar L70 or anything from Lombardini?

Compared to gas engines, they look like they might cost 2-3 times more,
and weight at least twice as much.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus10275

On Thu, 18 May 2006 00:45:36 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader wrote:
Does anybody have any opinions/stories of 4-6 HP 1 cylinder diesel
engines, like the Yanmar L70 or anything from Lombardini?

Yeah, small diesels from Lombardini SUCK. I had one on a generator,
what a ****ing POS. Impossible to start in cold weather and
prohibitively loud. I am so happy to have gotten rid of that turd of a
generator.

Compared to gas engines, they look like they might cost 2-3 times
more, and weight at least twice as much.

I would not take that crap for free.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim

Ignoramus10275 wrote:

On Thu, 18 May 2006 00:45:36 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader wrote:
Does anybody have any opinions/stories of 4-6 HP 1 cylinder diesel
engines, like the Yanmar L70 or anything from Lombardini?

Yeah, small diesels from Lombardini SUCK. I had one on a generator,
what a ****ing POS. Impossible to start in cold weather and
prohibitively loud. I am so happy to have gotten rid of that turd of a
generator.

Compared to gas engines, they look like they might cost 2-3 times
more, and weight at least twice as much.

I would not take that crap for free.

Yeah? Finally you consider yourself qualified to offer an opinion?
Noting your history of being a cheapskate in most matters, your
opinion is more than likely as a result of some cheap purchase of
something requiring overhaul.

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 18 May 2006 13:22:13 +1200, Jim wrote:
Ignoramus10275 wrote:

Yeah, small diesels from Lombardini SUCK. I had one on a generator,
what a ****ing POS. Impossible to start in cold weather and
prohibitively loud. I am so happy to have gotten rid of that turd of a
generator.

Yeah? Finally you consider yourself qualified to offer an opinion?

What the fark is that supposed to mean, "jim"?

Noting your history of being a cheapskate in most matters, your
opinion is more than likely as a result of some cheap purchase of
something requiring overhaul.

Overgeneralize much? All you semi-anonymous types do, of course.

Dave "fully expecting the irony to go over his head, I am" Hinz

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP*

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
Does anybody have any opinions/stories of 4-6 HP 1 cylinder diesel
engines, like the Yanmar L70 or anything from Lombardini?

Compared to gas engines, they look like they might cost 2-3 times more,
and weight at least twice as much.

I have had a Yanmar 3500 watt generator for about 20 years. Very cheap to
run compared to gas, always starts, no maintenance required except for oil
changes. But also very loud, especially at night, it's like a hammering
sound as opposed to the hum of a gas generator. It's also a bear to lift in
and out of my truck.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim

Ignoramus10275 wrote:

Yeah, small diesels from Lombardini SUCK. I had one on a generator,
what a ****ing POS. Impossible to start in cold weather and
prohibitively loud. I am so happy to have gotten rid of that turd of a
generator.

Yeah? Finally you consider yourself qualified to offer an opinion?

What the fark is that supposed to mean, "jim"?

Noting your history of being a cheapskate in most matters, your
opinion is more than likely as a result of some cheap purchase of
something requiring overhaul.

Overgeneralize much? All you semi-anonymous types do, of course.

Dave "fully expecting the irony to go over his head, I am" Hinz

Dave "I can't help being a over-opinionated ****wit" Hinz once
again pokes his petty little oar in, ignoring the fact that the
poster "Ignoramus10275" has a proven history that backs the use
of his soubriquet. To disparage all and sundry single cylinder
diesels because of his singular experience is akin to opinions
posted by Dave "I've got a **** encased liver" Hinz.

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Peter Wiley

wrote:
Does anybody have any opinions/stories of 4-6 HP 1 cylinder diesel
engines, like the Yanmar L70 or anything from Lombardini?

Yeah, small diesels from Lombardini SUCK. I had one on a generator,
what a ****ing POS. Impossible to start in cold weather and
prohibitively loud. I am so happy to have gotten rid of that turd of a
generator.

Compared to gas engines, they look like they might cost 2-3 times
more, and weight at least twice as much.

I would not take that crap for free.

Well, the one you had, maybe. But I've got a Yanmar 3HP air cooled
diesel with 2:1 F-N-R marine g/box on it and it's a gem. Don't write
off all small diesel engines simply because you had ONE bad one.

PDW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus10275

On Thu, 18 May 2006 05:40:45 +0100, Peter Wiley wrote:

wrote:
Does anybody have any opinions/stories of 4-6 HP 1 cylinder diesel
engines, like the Yanmar L70 or anything from Lombardini?

Yeah, small diesels from Lombardini SUCK. I had one on a generator,
what a ****ing POS. Impossible to start in cold weather and
prohibitively loud. I am so happy to have gotten rid of that turd of a
generator.

Compared to gas engines, they look like they might cost 2-3 times
more, and weight at least twice as much.

I would not take that crap for free.

Well, the one you had, maybe. But I've got a Yanmar 3HP air cooled
diesel with 2:1 F-N-R marine g/box on it and it's a gem. Don't write
off all small diesel engines simply because you had ONE bad one.

I do not know much about Yanmars, I was referring to Lombardini.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
B.B.

Ignoramus10275 wrote:

[...]

This thread could use a round of beers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Cydrome Leader

ATP* wrote:

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
Does anybody have any opinions/stories of 4-6 HP 1 cylinder diesel
engines, like the Yanmar L70 or anything from Lombardini?

Compared to gas engines, they look like they might cost 2-3 times more,
and weight at least twice as much.

I have had a Yanmar 3500 watt generator for about 20 years. Very cheap to
run compared to gas, always starts, no maintenance required except for oil
changes. But also very loud, especially at night, it's like a hammering
sound as opposed to the hum of a gas generator. It's also a bear to lift in
and out of my truck.

I've been bugging the local tiny diesel engine dealers in the area, and
the stupid ****ers never call back, or answer the phone. I don't get why
it's so hard to try to buy stuff from non-internet based companies.

I see that lots of these tiny diesels are pull start. Do the need
electricity at all for the glo plug, or how does that work?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ATP* wrote:

[...]

Mine has electric start and pull start, plus a compression release. No glo
plug and it hasn't been necessary so far, at least here on Long Island.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor

On Thu, 18 May 2006 15:04:23 +1200, Jim wrote:

snip load of crap
Jim

Who is this guy? Never mind... plonk.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
Does anybody have any opinions/stories of 4-6 HP 1 cylinder diesel
engines, like the Yanmar L70 or anything from Lombardini?

Compared to gas engines, they look like they might cost 2-3 times more,
and weight at least twice as much.

I used to maintain one-lung-er Onans on boats in 'Nam. (generator duty).
They were _always_ broken. My experience with flat-pack 'wide-vee' fours
from Onan in RV gensets is about the same.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

Dave Hinz wrote:

Yeah? Finally you consider yourself qualified to offer an opinion?

What the fark is that supposed to mean, "jim"?

Noting your history of being a cheapskate in most matters, your
opinion is more than likely as a result of some cheap purchase of
something requiring overhaul.

Overgeneralize much? All you semi-anonymous types do, of course.

Dave "I can't help being a over-opinionated ****wit" Hinz once
again pokes his petty little oar in, ignoring the fact that the
poster "Ignoramus10275" has a proven history that backs the use
of his soubriquet. To disparage all and sundry single cylinder
diesels because of his singular experience is akin to opinions
posted by Dave "I've got a **** encased liver" Hinz.

Yawn. Seemed to me he was talking about a specific one. Maybe you
could clean the froth off your monitor and reread his post.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 18 May 2006 03:27:51 GMT, Ignoramus10275 wrote:
On Thu, 18 May 2006 03:11:11 GMT, Ignoramus10275 wrote:

No, it was a "like new" generator. (the muffler looked almost new) I
bought it from the military, who, as I realized, wrote it off because
it was junk. It worked -- but would not start in cold weather and was
loud.

and I have pictures to prove its condition...

Pearls before swine, Igor. Don't waste your time on it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

wrote:

Yeah, small diesels from Lombardini SUCK. I had one on a generator,
what a ****ing POS. Impossible to start in cold weather and
prohibitively loud. I am so happy to have gotten rid of that turd of a
generator.

Well, the one you had, maybe. But I've got a Yanmar 3HP air cooled
diesel with 2:1 F-N-R marine g/box on it and it's a gem. Don't write
off all small diesel engines simply because you had ONE bad one.

He isn't. He says, clearly, right up there about 10 lines, that he's
talking about a specific manufacturer, he's not writing off "all small
diesel engines".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Fred R

Pete Keillor wrote:
On Thu, 18 May 2006 15:04:23 +1200, Jim wrote:

snip load of crap
Jim

Who is this guy? Never mind... plonk.

Ditto the 'plonk'. Is this the same 'Jim' who posts as
? I will put both addresses in anyway.

--
Fred R
"It doesn't really take all kinds; there just *are* all kinds".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Ignoramus10275 wrote:

On Thu, 18 May 2006 00:45:36 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader wrote:
Does anybody have any opinions/stories of 4-6 HP 1 cylinder diesel
engines, like the Yanmar L70 or anything from Lombardini?

Yeah, small diesels from Lombardini SUCK. I had one on a generator,
what a ****ing POS. Impossible to start in cold weather and
prohibitively loud. I am so happy to have gotten rid of that turd of a
generator.

Compared to gas engines, they look like they might cost 2-3 times
more, and weight at least twice as much.

I would not take that crap for free.

Yeah? Finally you consider yourself qualified to offer an opinion?
Noting your history of being a cheapskate in most matters, your
opinion is more than likely as a result of some cheap purchase of
something requiring overhaul.

Jim

Hey, Jim, cut that out. Picking on Ig is my job!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Fred R wrote:

Pete Keillor wrote:

On Thu, 18 May 2006 15:04:23 +1200, Jim wrote:

snip load of crap

Jim

Who is this guy? Never mind... plonk.

Ditto the 'plonk'. Is this the same 'Jim' who posts as
? I will put both addresses in anyway.

I very much doubt it. What Jim Pentagrid posts is usually sound, useful
stuff.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Asberry

wrote:

No, it was a "like new" generator. (the muffler looked almost new) I
bought it from the military, who, as I realized, wrote it off because
it was junk. It worked -- but would not start in cold weather and was
loud.

I have one, a 6.7hp I believe. I haven't tried to get it running yet.
It came with an air compressor. The muffler is ceramic coated, so will
look new forever.

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Cydrome Leader

ATP* wrote:

[...]

I just stopped wasting time and ordered a honda gas engine instead.
Somebody was willing to take my money when I called up a farm supply
place.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Byrns

On Thu, 18 May 2006 07:43:03 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

I've been bugging the local tiny diesel engine dealers in the area, and
the stupid ****ers never call back, or answer the phone. I don't get why
it's so hard to try to buy stuff from non-internet based companies.

Maybe it's you- I work at a ag distributor and get pestered about the
small diesels our equipment uses. I just don't have the time to do the
customers homework- dimensions, power, fuel consumption, only to have
them hang up when they find out how much the engine costs. I can't
engage in a dead-end phone call for 15 minutes when guys with money
are standing at the counter.
If you want to be taken seriously, get off your ass and leave the
phone on the hook. Go to the engine dealer with a clear idea of what
you need and understand it'll cost a lot more than a Harbor Freight
Briggs reject.

-Carl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Cydrome Leader

wrote:

I've been bugging the local tiny diesel engine dealers in the area, and
the stupid ****ers never call back, or answer the phone. I don't get why
it's so hard to try to buy stuff from non-internet based companies.

Maybe it's you- I work at a ag distributor and get pestered about the
small diesels our equipment uses. I just don't have the time to do the
customers homework- dimensions, power, fuel consumption, only to have
them hang up when they find out how much the engine costs. I can't
engage in a dead-end phone call for 15 minutes when guys with money

Wrong. When somebody calls up asking for a quote and has an exact part
number down to the shaft style, you're just stupid to not try to come up
with a price. There's something inherently worthless about lots of sales
people in many industries.

are standing at the counter.
If you want to be taken seriously, get off your ass and leave the
phone on the hook. Go to the engine dealer with a clear idea of what

There's no need for me to travel 100 miles (yes, the nearest Yanmar
dealer to Chicago is in Wisconsin) just to meet lazy worthless sales
people in person.

you need and understand it'll cost a lot more than a Harbor Freight
Briggs reject.

That's an even better reason to get me my quote. I didn't call these
places to find out about used engines from a bargain bin that's under $50
and has a 5 year warranty.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Peter Wiley

In article , Cydrome Leader
wrote:

ATP* wrote:

[...]

My Yanmar has electric start but it doesn't need it. No glow plug.

Look, diesels are heavier, noisier, run compression ratios 2X a gas
motor and so can be difficult to start manually unless designed for it
- usually with a big flywheel and a compression release. For continuous
duty, they're far superior. For light intermittent duty, get a gas
engine. I have 12 gensets at work. 10 of them are Hondas, the other 2
are Kubotas.

PDW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Cydrome Leader

Peter Wiley wrote:
In article , Cydrome Leader
wrote:

ATP* wrote:

[...]

I found it interesting everybody makes diesel engines, you just won't find
them in the US or in their US site. Honda seems to have a line called GD
or something like that that looks like the GX gas series. I only see them
on the uk and canadian sites.

Why is diesel so unpopular here in the US compared to the rest of the
world?

are Kubotas.

PDW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 19 May 2006 01:44:48 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader wrote:

I found it interesting everybody makes diesel engines, you just won't find
them in the US or in their US site. Honda seems to have a line called GD
or something like that that looks like the GX gas series. I only see them
on the uk and canadian sites.

Why is diesel so unpopular here in the US compared to the rest of the
world?

Because the USA'n automakers, in the 1970s, released some real crap
products with diesel engines. Some, believe it or not, were gasoline
engines with minor changes, instead of actual designed diesel engines.
The reputation was made of dirty, smelly, and unreliable because of,
especially, GM's brain-deaded decisions.

I'm seeing a lot more diesels on the road these days, but I _still_
can't buy a diesel-electric hybrid. If I could, I'd seriously consider
going into debt to do so. I drive 70 miles a day to get to and from
work, and at 3 bucks a gallon (yeah, I know...) it adds up. My ancient
Saab gets 24-26 MPG, but still...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim

Dave Hinz wrote:

Yeah? Finally you consider yourself qualified to offer an opinion?

What the fark is that supposed to mean, "jim"?

Noting your history of being a cheapskate in most matters, your
opinion is more than likely as a result of some cheap purchase of
something requiring overhaul.

Overgeneralize much? All you semi-anonymous types do, of course.

Dave "I can't help being a over-opinionated ****wit" Hinz once
again pokes his petty little oar in, ignoring the fact that the
poster "Ignoramus10275" has a proven history that backs the use
of his soubriquet. To disparage all and sundry single cylinder
diesels because of his singular experience is akin to opinions
posted by Dave "I've got a **** encased liver" Hinz.

Yawn. Seemed to me he was talking about a specific one. Maybe you
could clean the froth off your monitor and reread his post.

Well, well, Dave "I've got ADD" Hinz still burbles on.

Ignoramus10275 wrote:

"Yeah, small diesels from Lombardini SUCK.I had one on a generator,
what a ****ing POS. Impossible to start in cold weather and
prohibitively loud. I am so happy to have gotten rid of that turd of a
generator."

Is that an over-generalization or what? The man buys a used genset
for cents on the dollar and expects perfection. Rube comes to mind.

Still, rationality is not something I expect from you, your past
precedes you.

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Larry Jaques wrote:

Question for those outside the USA: How is diesel priced compared to
the various grades of gasolines? Until last year, when diesel prices
skyrocketed into the same league as gas, it was about half the price.
Now it's higher than regular gas.

I filled up yesterday ( 1990 VW Jetta diesel ) Gas (regular) was at
$1.003/liter, diesel was 89.9 cents. The price of gas tends to fluctuate
rapidly, diesel not as fast, asnd diesel lags a fair bit behind gas
price changes. A couple months back gas spiked up, the diesel price
followed about a week after. When the price of gas dropped way back
down, it took a few weeks for the diesel to drop back below gas.

I'm in northeast Alberta. At least it's the northeast of the part with
people in it. Oilpatch area, probably a heavier usage of diesel per
capita than most areas, but diesel cars are really common.

Cheers
Trevor Jones
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 19 May 2006 14:52:17 +1200, Jim wrote:

Well, well,

Hm. This one needs a second flush, it seems.
Buh-bye Jim. Find someone else to dance for you; you're just not
interesting.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mweb

Hello, Larry!
You wrote on Fri, 19 May 2006 05:22:24 -0700:

LJ Question for those outside the USA: How is diesel priced compared to
LJ the various grades of gasolines? Until last year, when diesel prices
LJ skyrocketed into the same league as gas, it was about half the price.
LJ Now it's higher than regular gas.

I drive the latest 320d BMW and when you get 1100km on a 65 liter tank @
140kmh, the price of diesel is half that of petrol. Here in South Africa
they cost the same apprx. $1 / liter. The petrol BMW will do say 600 - 700
km on 65 liters at 140kmh.

So - diesel is king especially with super sophisticated BMW, Mercedes, Audi
and VW engines. With 300 Nm torque from a 2 liter motor, even American V8's
are eaten for breakfast - I know, I have a 350 Chevy powered Cobra as well.
Wish that was diesel!!!!

With best regards, mweb. E-mail:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand

On Fri, 19 May 2006 05:22:24 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Question for those outside the USA: How is diesel priced compared to
the various grades of gasolines? Until last year, when diesel prices
skyrocketed into the same league as gas, it was about half the price.
Now it's higher than regular gas.

Here in the UK Petrol is just reaching £1/litre and Diesel is around
£1.05/litre.

IIRC that works out at:-
Petrol $6.83/US Gal
Diesel $7.17/US Gal

The economy of turbocharged diesels and small petrol engines is a significant
factor :-(

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Fri, 19 May 2006 14:52:17 +1200, Jim wrote:

Well, well,

Hm. This one needs a second flush, it seems.
Buh-bye Jim. Find someone else to dance for you; you're just not
interesting.

Yawn. Dave, the classic case of a copout poster, all mouth
and no substance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Asberry

wrote:

No, it was a "like new" generator. (the muffler looked almost new) I
bought it from the military, who, as I realized, wrote it off because
it was junk. It worked -- but would not start in cold weather and was
loud.

I have one, a 6.7hp I believe. I haven't tried to get it running yet.
It came with an air compressor. The muffler is ceramic coated, so will
look new forever.

There was even very little soot on it. The whole generator was very
shiny and new looking.

Is your engine manual start or electric start? Mine was very
difficult to start.

Manual.

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 19 May 2006 21:26:30 -0400, Tony wrote:
You tell em Jim woohooo!

Yeah, he really told me. Confuses "Wow, you won" with "wow, what a
waste of bits that one is." Funny how they just never get it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Cydrome Leader

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 19 May 2006 01:44:48 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor
qualm, Cydrome Leader quickly quoth:

I found it interesting everybody makes diesel engines, you just won't find
them in the US or in their US site. Honda seems to have a line called GD
or something like that that looks like the GX gas series. I only see them
on the uk and canadian sites.

Why is diesel so unpopular here in the US compared to the rest of the
world?

BEs rule here. Brainless Environmentalists. They look at particulate
smoke being sent out of a poorly maintained diesel truck exhaust stack
and think it's somehow 1,000 times worse than the low-rider belching
oil smoke, CO, NOx, RAP and 9mm lead slugs.

Only US made ones. It was pointed out to me you don't see black clouds
coming from foreign made diesel trucks. It seems to hold true.

Question for those outside the USA: How is diesel priced compared to
the various grades of gasolines? Until last year, when diesel prices
skyrocketed into the same league as gas, it was about half the price.
Now it's higher than regular gas.

Murphy was an Optimist
----------------------------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Cydrome Leader

wrote:

[...]

I just had a great experience with this place

http://www.helmuthrepair.com/

for a gas honda engine. I had it delived in less than 24 hours after
calling in the order. So, at least some people still understand how
business works.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Sat, 20 May 2006 07:56:42 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 19 May 2006 01:44:48 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor
qualm, Cydrome Leader quickly quoth:

I found it interesting everybody makes diesel engines, you just won't find
them in the US or in their US site. Honda seems to have a line called GD
or something like that that looks like the GX gas series. I only see them
on the uk and canadian sites.

Why is diesel so unpopular here in the US compared to the rest of the
world?

BEs rule here. Brainless Environmentalists. They look at particulate
smoke being sent out of a poorly maintained diesel truck exhaust stack
and think it's somehow 1,000 times worse than the low-rider belching
oil smoke, CO, NOx, RAP and 9mm lead slugs.

Only US made ones. It was pointed out to me you don't see black clouds
coming from foreign made diesel trucks. It seems to hold true.

Mabee today, but I've seen enough smoky M.A.N,Leyland, Dubkrava,
Mercedes, Peugot and Duetz (as well as a polethora of other makes in
both east and west africa) diesel exhausts that were extremely black
and foul.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Byrns

wrote:

I've been bugging the local tiny diesel engine dealers in the area, and
the stupid ****ers never call back, or answer the phone. I don't get why
it's so hard to try to buy stuff from non-internet based companies.

Again, maybe it's you- the guy who calls me with a good idea of what
he wants, when he wants it, and understands the cost gets my undivided
attention. He's either a pro or has gone out of his way to educate
himself.
I never hang up on someone who isn't on top of the game, however, I
won't sell him something over the phone and will ask him- politely- to
stop in so I can define what he's after. If he chooses not to, no
great loss. He can be a PIA to my competition.

-Carl