Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

Default mini diesel engines

On Fri, 19 May 2006 01:44:48 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader wrote:

I found it interesting everybody makes diesel engines, you just won't find
them in the US or in their US site. Honda seems to have a line called GD
or something like that that looks like the GX gas series. I only see them
on the uk and canadian sites.

Why is diesel so unpopular here in the US compared to the rest of the
world?

Because the USA'n automakers, in the 1970s, released some real crap
products with diesel engines. Some, believe it or not, were gasoline
engines with minor changes, instead of actual designed diesel engines.
The reputation was made of dirty, smelly, and unreliable because of,
especially, GM's brain-deaded decisions.

I'm seeing a lot more diesels on the road these days, but I _still_
can't buy a diesel-electric hybrid. If I could, I'd seriously consider
going into debt to do so. I drive 70 miles a day to get to and from
work, and at 3 bucks a gallon (yeah, I know...) it adds up. My ancient
Saab gets 24-26 MPG, but still...