MartinC

Default Petrol in Diesel Engine

Can I expect any bad effects from adding (accidentally) approx 10% (6
litres in 60) unleaded petrol to a diesel engine car. The car appears
to run OK at present. Will the two fuels have mixed.

Please keep (deserved) abuse to a minimum and answers to a maximum!

TIA
Jonathan@Home

I believe they are different densities and the unleaded will sit on top of
the diesel like salad dressing. I might be better to drain off the tank
before the diesel runs out and you start to get unleaded into your engine.
As the level of diesel gets lower the sloshing about will cause some of it
to be drawn into the engine and it will start chugging.

I might well be wrong but the unleaded doesn't burn until the compressed and
hot diesel ignites thus causing a kick when the unleaded ignites. Another
possibly wrong fact is that putting diesel in an unleaded car is worse as
the diesel sinks to the bottom guts sucked into the engine and fails to
ignite thus filling up the cylinders.

Cheers

Jonathan

BigWallop

"MartinC" wrote in message
om...
Can I expect any bad effects from adding (accidentally) approx 10% (6
litres in 60) unleaded petrol to a diesel engine car. The car appears
to run OK at present. Will the two fuels have mixed.

Please keep (deserved) abuse to a minimum and answers to a maximum!

TIA

Taken from the AA Web Site:

7. Fuel problems
Empty fuel tanks cost AA patrols a lot of time and members unnecessary
inconvenience.
Fill up at the start of your journey.
Every year more than 100,000 motorists put the wrong fuel in their car -
petrol in diesel engines or vice versa. In these cases the car will have to
be recovered to a garage and draining the tank and disposing of contaminated
fuel is expensive.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Grunff

MartinC wrote:
Can I expect any bad effects from adding (accidentally) approx 10% (6
litres in 60) unleaded petrol to a diesel engine car. The car appears
to run OK at present. Will the two fuels have mixed.

They will mix just fine, and it will have no adverse effects on
your car (it's a diesel, how much worse can it get anyway??).

--
Grunff

BillR

Grunff wrote:
MartinC wrote:
Can I expect any bad effects from adding (accidentally) approx 10% (6
litres in 60) unleaded petrol to a diesel engine car. The car appears
to run OK at present. Will the two fuels have mixed.

They will mix just fine, and it will have no adverse effects on
your car (it's a diesel, how much worse can it get anyway??).

Wasn't adding a small amount of petrol to diesel a trick used in very cold
weather anyway?

David W.E. Roberts

"BillR" wrote in message
Grunff wrote:
MartinC wrote:
Can I expect any bad effects from adding (accidentally) approx 10% (6
litres in 60) unleaded petrol to a diesel engine car. The car appears
to run OK at present. Will the two fuels have mixed.

They will mix just fine, and it will have no adverse effects on
your car (it's a diesel, how much worse can it get anyway??).

Wasn't adding a small amount of petrol to diesel a trick used in very cold
weather anyway?

Yes - this is a perennial problem which appears on NGs from time to time.
Petrol into diesel is not usually a problem.
I can't remember the percentage but I have at least one car manual which
recommends mixing petrol in with diesel in cold winters to prevent waxing.
And it doesn't clog the carburettor or foul the plugs :-)

As stated elsewhere diesel into petrol is a whole different ball game!

Cheers
Dave R

Matthew Ames \(news\)

"MartinC" wrote in message
om...
Can I expect any bad effects from adding (accidentally) approx 10% (6
litres in 60) unleaded petrol to a diesel engine car. The car appears
to run OK at present. Will the two fuels have mixed.

Please keep (deserved) abuse to a minimum and answers to a maximum!

You should be fine. One of our diesel lease Focus's at work keeps getting
petrol in it. According to Ford it can run at about 30% petrol. However
keep topping up with diesel (ie. it dilute the mixture) and you should be
fine.

Matthew Ames \(news\)

"BillR" wrote in message
Wasn't adding a small amount of petrol to diesel a trick used in very cold
weather anyway?

Yes, as it lowers he temperature at which diesel stops being liquid like.

jerrybuilt

"Jonathan@Home" wrote:
I believe they are different densities

Yes, they are...

and the unleaded will sit on top of the diesel like salad
dressing.

But they are miscible, unlike, say, oil and water.

Another possibly wrong fact is that putting diesel in an
unleaded car is worse

It's unlikely to fire properly!

Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

David W.E. Roberts

"IMM" wrote in message

"Marcus" wrote in message
Yep, an old lorry drivers trick for winter for sure, no problems at all
caused by the 10% petrol addition.

Keep the diesel tank topped up all the times. Every other day to keep the
diesel/petrol ratio in favour of diesel. Eventually the petrol will
disappear.

Hmm..gullible and unscientific, it seems :-)

As your 10% petrol in diesel is unlikely to cause you any problems, use at
least half the tank, preferably at least 2/3 before refilling.
This will ensure you remove most of the petrol quickly then go to almost
100% diesel.

i.e.
[Assume that the tank hold 100 'units' of fuel]
Full tank of 90 units diesel 10 units petrol
Use 90% of the tank
Tank has 9 units diesel and one unit petrol
Fill up with 90 units diesel
Full tank with 99 units diesel and one unit petrol (effetively pure diesel).

This after using 90 units of fuel and only one visit to the fuel station.

-------

Gridingly boring worked example:

Full tank of 90 units diesel 10 units petrol

Use 10% of the tank
Tank has 81 units of diesel and 9 units of petrol
Fill up with 10 units of diesel
Tank has 91 units of diesel and 9 units of petrol

Use 10% of the tank
Tank has 81.9 units of diesel 8.1 units of petrol.
Fill up with 10 units of diesel
Tank has 91.9 units of diesel and 8.1 units of petrol after using 20 units
of fuel.

Compared to

Full tank of 90 units diesel 10 units petrol

Use 20% of the tank
Tank has 72 units of diesel and 8 units of petrol.
Fill up with 20 units of diesel
Tank has 92 units of diesel and 8 units of petrol after using 20 units of
fuel.

So already a small difference is showing in favour of using bigger amounts
of fuel before filling up.

So long since I did any maths I can't face working out a formula but suffice
it to say that it is more effective to use as much of the 10% mix as
possible before refilling your tank.

Someone out there must know the formula!

Damn I must find some motivation to work!

Cheers
Dave R

Christian McArdle

Can I expect any bad effects from adding (accidentally) approx 10% (6
litres in 60) unleaded petrol to a diesel engine car.

Probably not. Diesel's will usually burn any old filth. They're second only
to gas turbines (jet engines) in their tolerance. Your typical jet will burn
anything from propane, through petrol to the remains of your chip pan
without skipping a beat, or even noticing the difference. Diesels aren't far
behind.

The reason diesels are so tolerant is because the fuel is directly injected
into the compressed air and spontaneously combusts with precise timing. In a
petrol engine, the fuel is premixed and must be kept from burning until the
spark comes along. It needs high octane fuel for the fuel air mixture to not
be too impatient and blow before the spark.

Christian.

Al

"Jonathan@Home" wrote in message ...
I believe they are different densities and the unleaded will sit on top of
the diesel like salad dressing.
:

Do not be tempted to add mustard...
Grunff

Andrew McKay wrote:

On that subject I find it quite amazing that the gas companies and car
companies haven't seen fit to install different nozzles (say square
and circular) which won't fit the other type of vehicle. And putting
the diesel and regular gas alongside each other on the forecourt seems
like a plain daft idea to me!

Yes, and all knives should be sold with corks on the ends.

--
Grunff

Bob Eager

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:52:15 UTC, "IMM" wrote:

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"BillR" wrote in message
Grunff wrote:
MartinC wrote:
Can I expect any bad effects from adding (accidentally) approx 10% (6
litres in 60) unleaded petrol to a diesel engine car. The car appears
to run OK at present. Will the two fuels have mixed.

They will mix just fine, and it will have no adverse effects on
your car (it's a diesel, how much worse can it get anyway??).

Wasn't adding a small amount of petrol to diesel a trick used in very

cold
weather anyway?

Yes - this is a perennial problem which appears on NGs from time to time.
Petrol into diesel is not usually a problem.
I can't remember the percentage but I have at least one car manual which
recommends mixing petrol in with diesel in cold winters to prevent waxing.
And it doesn't clog the carburettor or foul the plugs :-)

carburettor? In a diesel?

Exactly...it can't possibly clog it up...

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..

Davey

In normal use they definitely do mix. An old truck drivers' trick to prevent
diesel freezing (from the days before 'anti-freeze' in diesel was standard)
was to put a few gallons of petrol in the diesel during cold snaps. This
does work, and - I think - proves they mix.

That's not to say that if you mixed the two and left them untouched for a
few days they wouldn't start to separate out.

I read on some 'reputable' site (AA or RAC I think) that up to 20% of petrol
in diesel was quite safe. Or vice-versa, if your petrol engine would run
with however much diesel you'd put in it, that was safe also. I shudder to
think of the smoke it would knock out though!

Davey

--

"MartinC" wrote in message
om...
Can I expect any bad effects from adding (accidentally) approx 10% (6
litres in 60) unleaded petrol to a diesel engine car. The car appears
to run OK at present. Will the two fuels have mixed.

Please keep (deserved) abuse to a minimum and answers to a maximum!

TIA

Grunff

Davey wrote:

That's not to say that if you mixed the two and left them untouched for a
few days they wouldn't start to separate out.

They wouldn't, any more than the individual fractions in diesel
or petrol self separate while it sits in you tank.

--
Grunff

Owain

"Grunff" wrote
| Yes, and all knives should be sold with corks on the ends.

Yes they should be, the last time I bought a big knife the pointy end had
been dinged and I took it back and prodded myself with it in demonstration
to the shop girl that "this isn't sharp"

Owain

harrogate

"Matthew Ames (news)" wrote in
message news:3f3a227b$0$915$9b0f33e3@clyde...
"MartinC" wrote in message
om...
Can I expect any bad effects from adding (accidentally) approx 10% (6
litres in 60) unleaded petrol to a diesel engine car. The car appears
to run OK at present. Will the two fuels have mixed.

Please keep (deserved) abuse to a minimum and answers to a maximum!

You should be fine. One of our diesel lease Focus's at work keeps getting
petrol in it. According to Ford it can run at about 30% petrol. However
keep topping up with diesel (ie. it dilute the mixture) and you should be
fine.

I used to have a Montego Countryman estate with that noisy but incredibly
frugal Perkins 2L engine. The handbook advised up to 25% petrol in cold
weather - and using leaded fuel sure quietened it down as well. Must mean
something.............

--
Woody

al

I can't remember the percentage but I have at least one car manual which
recommends mixing petrol in with diesel in cold winters to prevent waxing.
And it doesn't clog the carburettor or foul the plugs :-)

Doesn't diesel compress to ignite??? Petrol on the other hand needs to be
lit ... usually with a spark plug unless you live in Sauwf Landon mate ;o)

Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 08:57:59 GMT, BigWallop wrote:

Every year more than 100,000 motorists put the wrong fuel in their
car - petrol in diesel engines or vice versa. In these cases the car
will have to be recovered to a garage and draining the tank and
disposing of contaminated fuel is expensive.

I guess it depends on how much petrol you put into your diesel tank. A
few litres in an empty tank then filled with diesel isn't going to be
a problem but a tank diesel tank filled with petrol is another story.

Probably quite hard these days to fill a petrol tank with diesel as
the diesel nozzle is bigger than the unleaded petrol hole.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

OldScrawn

putting
the diesel and regular gas alongside each other on the forecourt

Made worse now that some cars have a black label / logo inside the filler cap
signifying unleaded. Well that was my excuse to our pool car lady when I
screwed up.....
tim

I can't remember the percentage but I have at least one car manual which
recommends mixing petrol in with diesel in cold winters to prevent waxing.
And it doesn't clog the carburettor or foul the plugs :-)

Doesn't diesel compress to ignite???

Yes, and as long as it still continues to do this the resultant explosion
will burn off the petrol in the mix. The compression ratio used must be
'over' by some tolerance as otherwise you never get it to start (even with
the pre-heaters). I am however suprised that a 10% petrol mix will
still work but if others think it will then OK.

Petrol on the other hand needs to be lit

Which it will be by the exploding diesel.

... usually with a spark plug unless you live in Sauwf Landon mate ;o)

Tim

al

Getting a little off topic, but since we're banging on about cars, does
anyone know what the music is from that new Peugeot 205 add? It's been
annoying me for days, sounds familiar ... very moody track??

Doctor D.

On that subject I find it quite amazing that the gas companies and car
companies haven't seen fit to install different nozzles (say square
and circular) which won't fit the other type of vehicle. And putting
the diesel and regular gas alongside each other on the forecourt seems
like a plain daft idea to me!

The smaller unleaded opening on newer cars will not accept a diesel nozzle
without significant difficulties, however it's really easy to fill a diesel
with unleaded! The differences in colour coding adopted by the oil companies
adds to the confusion. It needs a standard colour scheme world wide.

As for daft, how about calling standard unleaded 95 ron "Premium" and high
octane 97 ron "Super" unleaded! Most people regard "Premium" as better than
"Super" but at least the only harm you can do is waste money.

Doctor D.

They will mix just fine, and it will have no adverse effects on
your car (it's a diesel, how much worse can it get anyway??).

I thought this too until I actually tried one. Take a Golf 130 TDi, Megane
120 DCi or Focus 115 TDCi for a spin and eat your words!

Toby

Default Petrol in Diesel Engine [ad music]

al wrote:
Getting a little off topic, but since we're banging on about cars,
does anyone know what the music is from that new Peugeot 205 add?
It's been annoying me for days, sounds familiar ... very moody track??

The 206 GTI ad with the people with creases in the back of their shirts is
called 'play away from home' and the music is from the film soundtrack to
'28 days later' called 'In the house - In a heartbeat'
Quite dark, chilling, slightly deranged.

Toby.

Christian McArdle

On that subject I find it quite amazing that the gas companies and car
companies haven't seen fit to install different nozzles (say square
and circular) which won't fit the other type of vehicle.

They have. Unleaded nozzles are narrower with knobled ends. It is not
possible to put a diesel nozzle into a petrol car's hole (except for ancient
cars originally sold for leaded).

It is possible to put petrol in a diesel, but it probably doesn't matter so
much, as discusssed here...

Christian.

IMM

"harrogate" wrote in message
news
Diesel is all about torque at
low revs

And that's why they are good for tractors, and nothing else.

and flexibility - provided you don't want to do it in microseconds!

Having had diesel company cars for the last decade

I had two turbo diesels and was glad to get back to a real car.

you only have to go across the channel to see the truth of that!.

I know. Awful isn't it. All that pollution: black soot they spew out
(cacogenic) and the noise. They should be banned forthwith.

---

The Natural Philosopher

harrogate wrote:

"Doctor D." wrote in message

They will mix just fine, and it will have no adverse effects on
your car (it's a diesel, how much worse can it get anyway??).

I thought this too until I actually tried one. Take a Golf 130 TDi, Megane
120 DCi or Focus 115 TDCi for a spin and eat your words!

I can never understand why the (so-called) motoring journalists of this
world - Clarkson and all that lot - always promote the idea that running a
diesel is all about thrift and low fuel consumption.

Anyone who regularly drives a diesel will tell you this is far from the
case - it's all about laziness, not have to change gear to accelerate, not
having to change gear to go around corners, being able to pull away easily
on ice or snow when the petrolheads are spinning their wheels like
crazy................... and so it goes on. Diesel is all about torque at
low revs and flexibility - provided you don't want to do it in microseconds!

Having had diesel company cars for the last decade I find it difficult to go
back to driving a petrol car again - I keep having to work pedals and move
the gear lever. It's only because of our stupid taxation system that puts
the cost of diesel so high over here that stops diesel cars selling more -
you only have to go across the channel to see the truth of that!.

Ther are all sorts of diesels, and all sorts of petrol engines. Eiether
can be made torquey, revvy, narrow or wide power band.

Diesel is more effeiceint at part throttle mainly tgho modern injection
has made petrol very good, and its also more BTU per liter in terms of
energy.

The engines are heavier, and tend to spew out carbon at full throtttle,
where a diesel is least efficient.

I think the emissions are extremely nasty, and would buy a cat diesel if
I could.

You pays yer money. I drive both.Ther isn't ultimately a huge amount of
difference performance wise in a decent engine between them.

IMM

harrogate wrote:

"Doctor D." wrote in message

[...]

A diesel does not have a throttle, it is full air all the time.

---

IMM

IMM wrote:

harrogate wrote:

"Doctor D." wrote in message

[...]

It is conventional to refer to any speed reduction system on an IC
engine as a throttle.

It isn't.

---

harrogate

harrogate wrote:

"Doctor D." wrote in message

[...]

Vectra's for one have had a cat since they first came out. Think Golf's (and
their siblings) do as well.

--
Woody

harrogate

"Huge" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher writes:
harrogate wrote:

"Doctor D." wrote in message

They will mix just fine, and it will have no adverse effects on
your car (it's a diesel, how much worse can it get anyway??).

I thought this too until I actually tried one. Take a Golf 130 TDi,

Megane
120 DCi or Focus 115 TDCi for a spin and eat your words!

I can never understand why the (so-called) motoring journalists of this
world - Clarkson and all that lot - always promote the idea that

running a
diesel is all about thrift and low fuel consumption.

Immediately obvious you don't know what you're talking about; Clarkson
loathes diesels.

And I agree with him. Filthy, noisy things.

Well Clarkson seemed quite complimentary about the new Jag diesel - and
about Merc and BMW as well. I didn't actually say he likes them - I know he
generally doesn't - but he ususally bases it on economy, and that is NOT
what diesels are about.

--
Woody

Grunff

Huge wrote:

Immediately obvious you don't know what you're talking about; Clarkson
loathes diesels.

And I agree with him. Filthy, noisy things.

I could never figure out how the government could justify on the
one hand requiring incearsingly tougher emissions standards for
petrols, and on the other encouraging the use of diesel.

Diesel engines are inherently dirty - ever sat behind a brand
new diesel being floored? Big cloud of black smoke.

--
Grunff

IMM

harrogate wrote:

"Doctor D." wrote in message

[...]

diesels are about powering tractors.

---

Michael McNeil

Grunff wrote in message ...

STOPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PETROL IN A DIESEL WILL WARP THE HEAD IF NOT BLOW THE THING AWAY
ESPECIALLY SUCH A STRONG MIX.

TAKE THE FUEL LINE OFF AND PUMP IT OUT WITH THE ELECTRIC PUMP OR BUY
ANOTHER ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP FOR SUCH EMERGENCIES FROM A SCRAP YARD.
DRAIN INTO A DRUM AND GIVE IT TO A TREE SURGEON OR SOMEONE WITH A TWO
STROKE MOTOR.

The AA will charge an arm and a leg for doing the above even for it's
most respected members. Disposing of the fuel is the problem. You can
use the fuel in a petrol engine but slip it in one gallon at a time
when you fill it up.
John Rumm

IMM wrote:

And that's why they are good for tractors, and nothing else.

Damn - this is worrying - I suddenly find myself in full agreement with
IMM...

What shall I do? ;-)

Ah! I know - New Liebour is the party of (screwing) small business - ah
that's better feel ok now!

--
Cheers,

John.