Simon Avery

Default Lawn-mower petrol stabiliser

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Hello The

BTW, sorry people for any late replies. My isp decided to fix their
peering at last which resulted in 28,000 new and duplicate messages in
this group alone, dating from November.

[Westwood mowers]

Sound exactly the same. Ours was 2nd hand when we bought
it about 8 years ago and has been used extensively to top
~16 acres of highly variable grazing, including a fair bit
of stony ground. Unfortunately, ours is the oft-cussed
contra-rotating cutter, which needs a special belt, is an
utter *sod* to fix and costs ~50/quid a pop.

TNP| Huh? So is mine, but the belt was just a standard ISTR and
TNP| the new blades well a bit of a cow as the whoile deck has to
TNP| comne off - but not *too* bad..ooohop, contra rotating? Umm.
TNP| No Mine ISN't come to think of it.

Apparently they only did them for a fairly short period. It has an
internal belt sealed (very tightly, I couldn't undo it) within the
main cutter assembly. It's toothed too small too, so the slightest
ding, even on a log, means that one blade skips a tooth. A few of
those and the blades start hitting each other.

cutter a couple of years ago and I bought it home to
recondition but soon gave up. The steering's VERY tight,
you need to pull the pedal up to engage the clutch (which
slips, especially when going downhill),

TNP| Thats a belt on mine.

Same. It's the pedal siezed rather than the clutch itself, which is
slipping anyway. CBA with it now, just parked up outside gathering
rust. Just need to re-drill the towbar mounting bracket on my new
Husqy so I can plonk my trailer on it. Don't have any 1" metal bits,
so it'll be a file and skinned knuckles I expect.

TNP| Ah. I need to sell you mtty series three landrover, last
TNP| used to reciover a ghot air ballon that labnnded in teh
TNP| adjacent field, after towing the westwood out of a
TNP| dip...three times :-)

No thanks! Work's LR 90 is /finally/ about to be retired. Just been
test-driving a shiny new Hilux, which is a completely different class
of machine. *Superb* engine.

TNP| A snip at 900 squids.

And wild guesses as to what a tatty D-plate 90, on its third non-turbo
engine is going to be worth?

Umm. Not sure. I've just bought a Husqvarna LT125 on the

TNP| Hmm. Husqvarna. John deeres look nice, but I vcan;t afford
TNP| one..

I wasn't that impressed tbh, but then again the salesmen weren't very
good at hiding their dorsal fins.

Still pleased with the Husqy now the novelty's worn off. Managed to
bend the steering arm after hitting a tree, but ten seconds in the
vice fixed that.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/

The Natural Philosopher

Simon Avery wrote:

TNP| A snip at 900 squids.

And wild guesses as to what a tatty D-plate 90, on its third non-turbo
engine is going to be worth?

2500 I should think if its diesel.