JTMcC

Default OT Environmentalists may be in deep Kimchee

"Carl Nisarel" wrote in message
om...
"JTMcC" wrote ....

Why do you gunners keep using that irrelevant and idiotic appeal to
emotion fallacy?

You're just demonstrating that you are not intelligent enough to
figure out how to deal with life without a gun.

Your moronic, and unoriginal, retort does not have anything to do with
Lott's invalidated research.

OK, I guess you don't have a lovely wife then.

When did you stop beating your wife?

Of course you are trying to stigmatize anyone that supports the 2nd
Amendment as a wife beater, but just to be clear, I've never hit any woman
and I'm pretty sure no friend of mine has either, I have been beaten pretty
thouroghly by some real irate women as a part of my employment g, but I
took it in stride. I would stop any man from beating any woman, by any means
available to me. And I have done so quite a few times, to the point of
breaking multiple bones, women are just not to be hit, period.

JTMcC.

Carl Nisarel

jim rozen wrote in message ...
In article , Carl Nisarel
says...

When are you going to admit that John Lott has lied about his research?

Hey, I thought he lied about being Mary Roush.
Oh. That too. Never mind. LOL. Truly
amazing that after a long morning of moving
snow around, small things can make one smile.

Here's another for you:

"I have not participated in the firearms discussion group nor in the
apparent
online newsgroup discussions" John Lott 1-14-03

"The MaRyRoSh pen name account was created years ago for an account
for my children, using the first two letters of the names of my four
sons." John Lott 1-21-03

"I always presumed that many people suspected me to be behind Mary
Rosh, I certainly was not particularly surprised when Julian Sanchez
made the exact same linkage based upon the similarity in the language
used in my postings." John Lott 4-06-03
Gunner

On 7 Dec 2003 13:50:12 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

I notice you keep bringing this up.

Umm, gunner - as far as 'keeps bringing a subject
up' I would suggest you install a lightning rod
soonest on your dwelling.

Jim

I understand your comment. And from your place in the Cave of
Apathy..it makes sense.

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith

Gunner

On 7 Dec 2003 16:25:03 -0800, (Carl
Nisarel) wrote:

jim rozen wrote in message ...
[...]

And as I asked..did Lott lie in his research? The Mary Rouss story is
well known.

So again I ask..what lies are in his research. Keep in mind that the
Department of Justice, FBI, the Kleck and Mustard studies all confirm
his data.

Your cites are?

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith
Gunner

On 7 Dec 2003 14:11:53 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

Did he lie IN his research,....
or about his research?

The first being, he fabricated the data, and
then told the truth about the bogus information;
the second being that he did impeccable
research and published it accurately, but then
lied about the contents when publicizing it?

Lott's data and research has been well reviewed and found to be
accurate, and published correctly. Thats a given. His various studies
have been attacked time and time again and no challenge to it has been
founded.

The Mary Roush stuff..shrug..

If you want to take a look at what Churl Neaseus's cronies have to say
about it:

http://www.askjohnlott.org/answers.html

Browse around...I should mention..this is Not a John Lott site but a
Bash Lott site...all done nice and neatly to make the reader think it
is.

Kind of makes a person wonder why they have to go to such extremes to
demonize the individual, and not the data.

Perhaps the Data is unimpeachable, so they have to try to poison the
researcher? You be the judge.

Some bits of interest on that site btw...

http://www.crosswalk.com/news/1213358.html

"The fraud and abuse manager for one Internet Service Provider (ISP),
whose features had been used by the fraudulent website, confirmed to
CNSNews.com Tuesday that the website was "piggy-backed" on the account
of an anti-gun organization.

"There is a merchant that is related, and I do see that there is some
correlation," he said, speaking on condition that neither he nor his
business would be identified. "They seem to be some sort of anti-gun
advocate, something to that effect.

"However," he added, "it does seem that mostly they're using the
service to conduct legitimate business."

The ISP manager said the "AskJohnLott.org" services formerly provided
by his company appeared to have been terminated and that an attempt
appeared to have been made to delete the records of the services' use.
He would not name the "anti-gun advocate" to which the fraudulent
website's services had been billed, noting that he could not confirm
from his records whether his legitimate client had authorized the
specific use."

Here..btw..is the real John Lott site. Take some time and look
around, look at his data sources etc..its all there in black and
whitel

http://www.johnlott.org/

You might want to read this paper as well

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...ract_id=372361

Gunner

Gunner

I guess I'm in a quandry here. I'm not
sure I really see the difference (is there
one?) between the two.

Perhaps I'm missing something here.

Jim

================================================= =
please reply to:
================================================= =

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith
jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

So again I ask..what lies are in his research.

What's with your comment, that he lied 'about' his
research but not 'in' the research. I really
don't understand the distinction.

Jim

please reply to:

Ed Huntress

"Richard Lewis" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Same here, dickhead. You never did come up with the "4/5 of the murders"
that "Ford" claimed in the statement you were defending.

I cited 2000 numbers if you recall, idiot. You claim to have cites
that disprove them....feel free to do so.

It looks like you need some work on your memory to go with your remedial
math and remedial reading. Here's what YOU said about it, dickhead:

That's in 2000, of course....couldn't find this year's numbers. The total

US
that year has 15,517 murders so that makes 11,762 in states that restrict
open carry as per Gunner's quote....and that makes a grand total of right
at 76% of all murders committed in restricted carry states etc etc etc.

76% is closer to 3/4 than 4/5, Einstein. And 2001 produces exactly the same
numbers, using your list of states. I never said anything to the contrary.

Then you included states that have no preemption and lots of local permit
and/or no-carry laws,

Bull****, idiot. Nothing but state laws as cited on the NRA-ILA site
that you claim to know so well.

I haven't been to the NRA-ILA site for a couple of years. You do have a
reading comprehension problem there, dickhead. And you ought to get out more
and see what some other sources have to say about it, from the USDOJ for the
"prohibited persons" list to Packing.org for another take on which states
really are "open carry." And when you're through with them, read the actual
damned laws. Then you won't look like a dope for saysing that Utah has some
"strict restrictions" on open carry. Right. You have to pull the trigger
twice. Dickhead.

--
Ed Huntress
(remove "3" from email address for email reply)

Ed Huntress

"Gunner" wrote in message

Here..btw..is the real John Lott site. Take some time and look
around, look at his data sources etc..its all there in black and
white

Black? Is Mary wearing one of those little black Halston dresses? Or is he
playing John on this site? g

I miss Mary. Imagine my disappointment when I found out she really was
John...

Ed Huntress

Gunner

On 7 Dec 2003 19:49:50 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

So again I ask..what lies are in his research.

What's with your comment, that he lied 'about' his
research but not 'in' the research. I really
don't understand the distinction.

Jim

Hummmm..you are slower than I thought. The lies about his research is
a reference to the Mary Roush bug****. Where he used a female persona
on newsgroups to defend his research, and not have every nut case
antigun wonk lined up for miles to fill his email account or the
newsgroup he was on with trash.

He never did lie IN the research. Thats been verified 12 ways from
Sunday. The only lying he did About his research was the use of a
persona.

Still confused? Please say no..else my very high respect for your
intelligence level will go down several notches.

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith
Gunner

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 04:40:12 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

Here..btw..is the real John Lott site. Take some time and look
around, look at his data sources etc..its all there in black and
white

Black? Is Mary wearing one of those little black Halston dresses? Or is he
playing John on this site? g

I miss Mary. Imagine my disappointment when I found out she really was
John...

Ed Huntress

but "she" was good in debate.

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith
Carl Nisarel

Gunner sputtered:

He never did lie IN the research. Thats been verified 12 ways from
Sunday.

Heh. Lott's been caught numerous times.

He reported results from a survey he never conducted.
http://tinyurl.com/y8er

He back-dated a chart in an analysis and tried to pretend he didn't
change an analytical model.
http://tinyurl.com/y8f5

He constantly lies by omission when he excludes research that
contradicts his results.
http://tinyurl.com/y8fb

and much, much mo
http://tinyurl.com/xlnr

Donald Kennedy, the Editor of Science, correctly described John Lott's
work as a "fraud".
Carl Nisarel

Gunner wrote ...

Did he lie IN his research,(which has been backed up by Kleck,

This is what Kleck thinks about Lott's MGLC research:

"more likely the declines in crime coinciding with relaxation of carry
laws were largely attributable to other factors not controlled in the
Lott and Mustard analysis."

- Kleck G. Targeting Guns: Firearms and Their Control. New York, NY:
Aldine de Gruyter; 1997.

Kleck has never produced any research that 'backs up' Lott.

Carl Nisarel

BottleBob wrote in message ...
Carl Nisarel wrote:

BottleBob wrote

Carl Nisarel wrote:

(Richard Lewis) wrote

Armed robberies in the US in 2000....408K; rape....90K;
assault....910K etc etc etc.

Robberies 420,637

Do *you* understand the difference between robbery and armed robbery?

Carl:

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_02/pdf/2sectiontwo.pdf

The main heading for robberies at the above side doesn't distinguish
between armed and unarmed robberies. But further down it does list the
percentage (42.1%) of robberies where a firearm is used.
Why is this "armed" distinction of robbery important to you?

If you think dishonesty is fine, that's your choice.

Lewis incorrectly labeled the statistics and still hasn't admitted
that he did it.

Do you understand the difference between having "a 'loved one'
assaulted by a unethical criminal, intent on taking stuff and doing
bodily harm" and those statistics?

I would venture to guess that most of those robbery and assault victims
had someone to care about them and were therefore the "loved one" of
someone else.

Ok, you don't understand the difference.

Lewis created the idiotic definition and is moving the goalpost trying
to get anything crammed into it.

If you do not, you're simply one of the idiots. Richard's data does
not match Richards claim. His claim was simply emotional drivel
unsupported by actual data.

You seem pretty free with calling other people idiots on marginal
data.

The data is in the thread and it isn't marginal.

Dude, those are not the relevant statistics. Richard created the
definition and then moved the goalpost.

Are you aware of the fact that most assaults and rapes are committed
by someone known to the victim?

I saw where you said that before. I have no information on which to
judge whether it's actually a "fact" or not. Do you have a credible
site that DOES have this information?

I have credible information and I am much more familiar with the
research and the data than anyone else who's appeared in the thread.

BTW, thinking about it right now, as soon as an "acquaintance" or
"family member" engages in the act of robbery, rape, or assault of
another... then they BECOME "an unethical criminal, intent on taking
stuff and doing bodily harm", do they not? One minute a friend, next
minute a felon.

1) It demonstrates the idiocy of Lewis' emotionally driven fallacious
definition.

2) People tend to be rather hesitant about a self-defense shooting
people they know.
Ed Huntress

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 04:40:12 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

Here..btw..is the real John Lott site. Take some time and look
around, look at his data sources etc..its all there in black and
white

Black? Is Mary wearing one of those little black Halston dresses? Or is

he
playing John on this site? g

I miss Mary. Imagine my disappointment when I found out she really was
John...

Ed Huntress

but "she" was good in debate.

Gunner

The hell she was. After describing those armed guys as "students," she
neglected to mention that they were also police officers -- one of them
currently employed. That he had a bulletproof vest and handcuffs in his car
should have attracted her curiosity about that fact. g

That's a habit of mind, Gunner. If a writer is that sloppy in researching an
editorial, not checking out his facts, then there's a good chance he was
sloppy in researching his book. If there was money in it I'd love to go do
some digging on that book that you guys are talking about. But that's at
least $5,000 worth of work.

BTW, it's Mary Rosh, not Roush.

Ed Huntress

jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

but "she" was good in debate.

Ha ha ha. The image of lott prancing around in a dress
is, well, frankly - priceless.

The guy has *zero* credibility after that. Face it,
he's a laughingstock. I'm sorry to have to disillusion
you, but your man (?) did let you down. No matter how
good he is at what he does, a stunt like that undoes
any former good work he ever did for that cause.

Jim

please reply to:

Carl Nisarel

"JTMcC" wrote
"Carl Nisarel" wrote
"JTMcC" wrote ....

Why do you gunners keep using that irrelevant and idiotic appeal to
emotion fallacy?

You're just demonstrating that you are not intelligent enough to
figure out how to deal with life without a gun.

Your moronic, and unoriginal, retort does not have anything to do with
Lott's invalidated research.

OK, I guess you don't have a lovely wife then.

When did you stop beating your wife?

Of course you are trying to stigmatize anyone that supports the 2nd
Amendment as a wife beater

No, I'm not. It's the classic example of the complex question fallacy.
It seems you aren't bright enough or educated enough to recognize it.

But thanks for demonstrating that you're just another gunner who's
mindset is still back in the 1950s.

Gunner

Carl Nisarel wrote:

(Richard Lewis) wrote

Armed robberies in the US in 2000....408K; rape....90K;
assault....910K etc etc etc.

Robberies 420,637

Do *you* understand the difference between robbery and armed robbery?

Do you understand the difference between having "a 'loved one'
assaulted by a unethical criminal, intent on taking stuff and doing
bodily harm" and those statistics?

If you do not, you're simply one of the idiots. Richard's data does
not match Richards claim. His claim was simply emotional drivel
unsupported by actual data.

I wouldn't let a personal negative bias against a person, or group,
interfere with an impartial evaluation of relevant statistics.

Dude, those are not the relevant statistics. Richard created the
definition and then moved the goalpost.

Are you aware of the fact that most assaults and rapes are committed
by someone known to the victim?

OK, so someone my wife, or daughter KNOWS tries to assult my wife, or
daughter.

That someone is more likely to be you, or your son, than a stranger.

Cites?

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith
Gunner

On 8 Dec 2003 06:47:20 -0800, (Carl
Nisarel) wrote:

Gunner wrote ...

Did he lie IN his research,(which has been backed up by Kleck,

This is what Kleck thinks about Lott's MGLC research:

"more likely the declines in crime coinciding with relaxation of carry
laws were largely attributable to other factors not controlled in the
Lott and Mustard analysis."

Nice cut and paste out of context.

- Kleck G. Targeting Guns: Firearms and Their Control. New York, NY:
Aldine de Gruyter; 1997.

Kleck has never produced any research that 'backs up' Lott.

http://www.rdfrost.com/Reference/RKBA/Kleck.html
http://www.gunsandcrime.org/dgufreq.html

"222 of the 4799 respondents reported having at least one DGU in their
household in the past 5 years. After correcting for oversampling in
some regions, this figure drops to 66 personal accounts of DGUs in the
preceding year, indicating that 1.326 percent of adults nationwide had
experienced at least one DGU. When multiplied by 1.478, the average
number of DGUs reported per DGU claimant for the preceding year, and
by the total adult population, an estimate of 2.55 million DGUs per
year was arrived at.

However, Kleck reviewed the record associated with each reported DGU
and flagged every report for which: (1)it was not clear if the
respondent had actually confronted the perpetrator; (2)the respondent
was a police officer, soldier, or security guard; (3)the interviewer
had not properly recorded exactly what the respondent had done with
the gun, so it was not certain that the respondent had actually used
the gun; or, (4)the record did not state a specific crime the
respondent thought was being committed.

When all such cases were eliminated, the results were 1.125 percent of
adults had used guns defensively an average of 1.472 times each, for a
total of 2.16 million DGUs per year. This, then is the K-G
conservative estimate of annual DGUs. So, rather than saying that K-G
found that there are 2.5 million DGUs per year, we should say that
there are up to 2.5 million, or be more conservative and say something
like over 2 million."
http://www.guncite.com/gcdgklec.html

So Churl..if you dont like Lott's study...we can simply go with
Klecks. Ok with you?

Laugh laugh laugh

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith
Gunner

On 8 Dec 2003 08:59:37 -0800, (Carl
Nisarel) wrote:

"JTMcC" wrote
"Carl Nisarel" wrote
"JTMcC" wrote ....

Why do you gunners keep using that irrelevant and idiotic appeal to
emotion fallacy?

You're just demonstrating that you are not intelligent enough to
figure out how to deal with life without a gun.

Your moronic, and unoriginal, retort does not have anything to do with
Lott's invalidated research.

OK, I guess you don't have a lovely wife then.

When did you stop beating your wife?

Of course you are trying to stigmatize anyone that supports the 2nd
Amendment as a wife beater

No, I'm not. It's the classic example of the complex question fallacy.
It seems you aren't bright enough or educated enough to recognize it.

But thanks for demonstrating that you're just another gunner who's
mindset is still back in the 1950s.

Once again, Churl demonstrates that denial is not a river in Egypt and
whom will say anything to try to advance his agenda. A lacky for
HCI..shrug, what more can be said?

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith
jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

Umm, gunner - as far as 'keeps bringing a subject
up' I would suggest you install a lightning rod
soonest on your dwelling.

I understand your comment. And from your place in the Cave of
Apathy..it makes sense.

No. It comes from the Cave of My Metalworking Shop.
It's a metalworking ng, so the odd man out is you,
bringing up off topic stuff. That's fine, clearly
there's a big interest. But it is off topic, and
you are the one who keeps churning it. Apathetic
about metalworking, no.

Jim

please reply to:

Gunner

On 8 Dec 2003 09:44:46 -0800, (Carl
Nisarel) wrote:

Gunner wrote ..

The link below is a pretty decent report on the bogus data or spin put
on any gun study.

http://reason.com/9704/fe.cdc.shtml

It's the typical BS from Don Kates.

The authors use the typical gunner lies.

They wrote about Kellerman: "Consider a 1993 New England Journal of
Medicine study that, according to press reports, "showed that keeping
a gun in the home nearly triples the likelihood that someone in the
household will be slain there." This claim cannot be verified because
Kellerman will not release the data."

Kellerman's data was released and is easy to find.
http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/cgi/archive.prl?study=6898

And easily refuted

http://www.joepierre.com/Kellerman.htm

"The Kellerman pseudo-study was refuted by several well-qualified
sources, including sociology professor H. Taylor Buckner; Henry E.
Schaffner, Ph.D.; and J. Neil Schulman, in his book Stopping Power:
The Humanistic Case for Civilian Arms, Centurion Press, 1994. His
sampling methods, methodology, analysis of data and conclusions have
all been censured as unscientific.

But, perhaps most telling was the study by Professor Gary Kleck, head
of the criminology department at Florida State University, which was
summarized in his paper Guns and Violence: A Summary of the field
prepared for delivery at the Annual Meeting of the American Political
Science Association, which was held at the Washington Hilton, August
29 through September 1, 1991.

Unlike Kellerman, Kleck's award-winning study has been peer-reviewed."

A typical comment from a criminalogist about Kellerman:

" Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 12:09:16 -0600 From: Rick Lowe
Subject: ACICR: Firearms "Facts"

Sirs:

I am not a medical doctor; my degree is in criminology. With
that in mind, having read your "Firearms Facts", I have grave
concerns about the validity of the data you are putting out.

I am not familiar with all the research you quote in your
"Firearms Facts". I am however, as a criminologist, particularly
well informed regarding Kellerman et al who you cite at the
bottom of your "firearms facts" as one of your sources.

Kellerman's studies have been thoroughly refuted by
practically every prominent criminologist working in the
violence/firearms field - in criminology circles they have a
well deserved reputation for being founded on personal bias. In
fact, the only place I am aware they can claim "peer review" is
in NEJM - hardly a criminology periodical. Furthermore, if
memory serves me correctly, the NEJM was involved in funding and
supporting this "research" and was not exactly at what one would
call arm's length relating to this study. I believe I also
recall that the very same editor of NEJM from that time was
recently fired for publishing poorly done and prejudiced
research in other areas.

Whatever the fate of the editor of NEJM was, I find it
appalling that an organization connected with a university would
use refuted and discredited research as a reference for
published claims. I suspect that any graduate students at your
university who tried to defend their thesis using discredited
research would be given short shrift indeed. Why then, would you
feel it perfectly acceptable to use refuted research in your
firearms "facts"? Were you incapable of finding the work of
Kleck... Wright, Rossi&Daly... Suter??? All of whom, I suspect,
are prominent and available in your university's criminology
library?

If Kellerman is indicative of the quality of research used
by your organization as the basis for information disseminated
to the public, then the public is poorly served. Those using
such research to back up their allegations should be sent back
to redo some basic first year university courses until they gain
the necessary understanding of the importance of using peer
reviewed research - not claptrap psuedo science written to serve
the author's personal prejudice.

You do the university which hosts you little credit. I
wonder whose "research" you will cite next... Keegstra's? "

You're mindlessly repeating another gunner lie.

Just cant handle the refutation of your whole mindset can you?
Laugh laugh laugh

Let's watch how you handle it since I just demonstrated that Kates
lied in the article.

Here's another one that you can't handle:

"Having a gun at home is a risk factor for adults to be shot fatally
(gun homicide) or commit suicide with a firearm."

Of course it is. Haveing a swimming pool is a risk factor for an
accidental drowning as well. Driving a motor vehicle is a risk factor
for being involved in a fatal traffic accident.

Your point is exactly what? That Kellerman was wrong and disproved
many times? Thank you for your admission.

Wiebe, D. 2003. "Injury Prevention Homicide and suicide risks
associated with firearms in the home: A national case-control study,"
Annals of Emergency Medicine, 41:781-781.

http://www.locksley.com/6696/guns2.htm

And of course..if you dont like Lott, and disregard Kleck (laugh laugh
laugh) we can always change to the Wright and Rossi's study funded by
the US Department of Justice...

Some comments on that study...
http://www.firearmsandliberty.com/sc....mcdowall.html
http://www.2ampd.net/prnet/whois_lp.html

"FACT: It is not well known that President Jimmy Carter and his people
wanted to push a major gun control law through Congress in the late
'70s. They decided that the best way to accomplish this would be to
have an exhaustive scientific study conducted which, in the end, would
proclaim that gun control laws were effective in reducing crime.

Two highly respected, pro-gun-control professors from Massachusetts,
James D. Wright and Peter Rossi, were hired to conduct the study.
Wright and Rossi spent four years and hundreds of thousands of dollars
to produce the most comprehensive, critical study of gun control ever
undertaken. In 1981, they published the results of their research: an
exhaustive, three-volume work entitled "Under the Gun." Their
findings, and I quote co-author Wright: "Gun control laws do not
reduce crime."

Keep up the good work Churl...and as long as you keep spewing your
lies..Ill keep up posting the rebuttals. Think of me has having found
a new hobby. You.

At this point..you may well want to fold up your tent and move on to
more receptive pastures. Perhaps one of the MTV2 newsgroups, or even
alt.sarahbrady.rocks? Im sure you can fine enough mush brained
liberals to believe you that your ego will get stroked just fine, and
maybe even a young man whom will be thrilled enough with your "wisdom"
to keep you occupied on these cold winter nights, under a nice thick
quilt.

Laugh laugh laugh

Gunner Asch
No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith
Gunner

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 15:33:13 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 04:40:12 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

Here..btw..is the real John Lott site. Take some time and look
around, look at his data sources etc..its all there in black and
white

Black? Is Mary wearing one of those little black Halston dresses? Or is

he
playing John on this site? g

I miss Mary. Imagine my disappointment when I found out she really was
John...

Ed Huntress

but "she" was good in debate.

Gunner

The hell she was. After describing those armed guys as "students," she
neglected to mention that they were also police officers -- one of them
currently employed. That he had a bulletproof vest and handcuffs in his car
should have attracted her curiosity about that fact. g

They Were students. And if one is not currently employed..he is not a
policeman. Correct?

If I had been one of the participants, would that have made any
difference? Ive been a policeman, I carry handcuffs in the truck and
occasionally have body armor about.

In the grand scheme of things, this means exactly what? That two armed
citizens stopped the criminal? Yes indeed they did. As happens 2.5
million times a year.

That's a habit of mind, Gunner. If a writer is that sloppy in researching an
editorial, not checking out his facts, then there's a good chance he was
sloppy in researching his book. If there was money in it I'd love to go do
some digging on that book that you guys are talking about. But that's at
least $5,000 worth of work.

Sloppy or just didn't present facts that really were not germane to
the story? Were either student there for the express purpose of
responding to the criminals action? No. Were either of them on duty
and in uniform at the time? No. Would it have made any difference if
either of them had been gay interior decorators? No.
BTW, it's Mary Rosh, not Roush.

Shrug.

Ed Huntress

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith
Gunner

On 8 Dec 2003 07:43:57 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

but "she" was good in debate.

Ha ha ha. The image of lott prancing around in a dress
is, well, frankly - priceless.

The guy has *zero* credibility after that. Face it,
he's a laughingstock. I'm sorry to have to disillusion
you, but your man (?) did let you down. No matter how
good he is at what he does, a stunt like that undoes
any former good work he ever did for that cause.

Jim

Granted, it was a stupid thing to do. Shrug. You are aware that old
Ben Franklin had a thing for pubescent girls..under 13 yrs old, right?
And this affects his impact on the Constitution exactly how?
Id imagine you still think Bill Clinton was a generally good
president, right? Rape, murder, Monica Missiles..blow jobs under the
dest, are are to be disregarded in the Grand Scheme of things,
correct?

Your partisianship is noted. Lott ****ed up using the Mary Roush
thing. It makes no differene to his research, other than giving you
antigun individuals something to try to hand your hat on.
If it wasnt one thing, the antigunners would try something else to
demonize the man, as the data is untouchable. Lott was the first
individual to put the lie to the Antigunners agenda, and as such the
biggest target. The others whom conducted other studies, came up with
largely the same conclusions, are not demonized, for to do so, would
bring those studies also into the light of day and thats the Least
thing the Antis want to happen.

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith
Ed Huntress

"Gunner" wrote in message

I miss Mary. Imagine my disappointment when I found out she really was
John...

Ed Huntress

but "she" was good in debate.

Gunner

The hell she was. After describing those armed guys as "students," she
neglected to mention that they were also police officers -- one of them
currently employed. That he had a bulletproof vest and handcuffs in his

car
should have attracted her curiosity about that fact. g

They Were students. And if one is not currently employed..he is not a
policeman. Correct?

Oh, for Christ's sake, Gunner. A "student," with a bulletproof vest and
handcuffs in his car?

Lott's editorial was about the role of "armed citizens" in stopping a crime.
He neglected to mention that the "armed citizens" were a currently employed
cop equipped with vest and 'cuffs, and another cop who was studying law.

Do you really want to go through that again? Lott gave up on it himself.

Sloppy or just didn't present facts that really were not germane to
the story? Were either student there for the express purpose of
responding to the criminals action? No. Were either of them on duty
and in uniform at the time? No. Would it have made any difference if
either of them had been gay interior decorators? No.

Then the story is that we need more off-duty and former cops. He said
nothing about cops. That's because, if he had, anyone with a lick of sense
would have realized that the story wasn't what he said it was.

If that doesn't sink into your head, then you don't understand why Lott saw
fit to write an editorial about it in the first place...and why he neglected
to say anything about bulletproof vests, handcuffs, or cops.

--
Ed Huntress
(remove "3" from email address for email reply)

Gunner

On 8 Dec 2003 10:59:53 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

Umm, gunner - as far as 'keeps bringing a subject
up' I would suggest you install a lightning rod
soonest on your dwelling.

I understand your comment. And from your place in the Cave of
Apathy..it makes sense.

No. It comes from the Cave of My Metalworking Shop.
It's a metalworking ng, so the odd man out is you,
bringing up off topic stuff. That's fine, clearly
there's a big interest. But it is off topic, and
you are the one who keeps churning it. Apathetic
about metalworking, no.

Jim

I thae this to mean you have run out of arguments and are taking your
ball and going home?
Your participation in this thread has been ongoing..and noted.

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith

Dan

--

"Such is the complacency these great men have for the smiles of their prince
that they will gratify every desire of ambition and power at the expense of

- John Dickinson, 1771 -

"Gunner" wrote

The part the argument want off on..was about the 4/5 murders being
done in the other 25 states, or do you not recall that? Recent head
injury?

And he showed conclusively that the quote was in error. So what is your
point?

Dan

Ed Huntress

"Gunner" wrote

"Such is the complacency these great men have for the smiles of their

prince
that they will gratify every desire of ambition and power at the expense

of
truth, reason, and their country."

- John Dickinson, 1771 -

The Brain - is wider than the Sky -
For - put them side by side -
The one the other will contain
With ease - and You - beside. -- Emily Dickinson

Ed Huntress

Dan

--

"Gunner" wrote in message
On 8 Dec 2003 09:44:46 -0800, (Carl

Kellerman's data was released and is easy to find.
http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/cgi/archive.prl?study=6898

And easily refuted

http://www.joepierre.com/Kellerman.htm

"Fifty out of 5,000 people responded that they had used handguns in an
actual confrontation against another human attempting a crime. In 47.2
percent of the cases, the criminal was armed. About one in six were armed
with a firearm, the rest with knives, clubs or some other weapon. In 73.4
percent of these gun-defense incidents, the attacker was a stranger to the
intended victims. Defenses against a family member or intimate were
rare--well under 10 percent. This disproves the Kellerman myth that a gun
kept for defense will most likely be used against a family member or someone
you love."

This is the level of "refutation" in the above cite.

I'll leave the logical fallacies and lack of statistical relevance to the
reader...

One really ought to READ the material one cites, or at least point out some
of the known shortcomings of the material, if one expects to be taken as
an honest person...

Given the above, it is hard to give credence to anything else in the
piece.

Can you say "bias?"

Dan

BottleBob

Carl Nisarel wrote:

BottleBob wrote in message ...
Carl Nisarel wrote:

BottleBob wrote

Carl Nisarel wrote:

(Richard Lewis) wrote

Armed robberies in the US in 2000....408K; rape....90K;
assault....910K etc etc etc.

Robberies 420,637

Do *you* understand the difference between robbery and armed robbery?

Carl:

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_02/pdf/2sectiontwo.pdf

The main heading for robberies at the above side doesn't distinguish
between armed and unarmed robberies. But further down it does list the
percentage (42.1%) of robberies where a firearm is used.
Why is this "armed" distinction of robbery important to you?

If you think dishonesty is fine, that's your choice.

Carl:

No, I DON'T think dishonesty is fine.

Lewis incorrectly labeled the statistics and still hasn't admitted
that he did it.

Do you think he did it deliberately? Should a mistake in labeling be
equated to being a liar?

Do you understand the difference between having "a 'loved one'
assaulted by a unethical criminal, intent on taking stuff and doing
bodily harm" and those statistics?

I would venture to guess that most of those robbery and assault victims
had someone to care about them and were therefore the "loved one" of
someone else.

Ok, you don't understand the difference.

Rapes 95,136
Robberies 420,637
Assaults 894,348
--------
Total 1,410,121

Do you mean to imply that no significant quantity of those 1,410,121
victims were the "loved ones" of another?
Now since we have 1,410,121 victims, don't you think that tends to
validate Richard's original claim that "a loved one is assaulted by an
unethical criminal, intent on taking stuff and doing bodily harm"
hundreds of thousands of times a year?
Now even *IF* we were to subtract an amount to simulate your alleged
"MOST assaults and rapes are committed by someone known to the victim",
let's say an even 1,000,000 (about 70% of the cases), we still would
have 410,121 cases. Which seems to leave 100's of thousands of cases to
me.

Lewis created the idiotic definition and is moving the goalpost trying
to get anything crammed into it.

ARE 100's of thousands of people the victims of violent crime per
year? DID Richard make up those statistics out of thin air?

If you do not, you're simply one of the idiots. Richard's data does
not match Richards claim. His claim was simply emotional drivel
unsupported by actual data.

You seem pretty free with calling other people idiots on marginal
data.

The data is in the thread and it isn't marginal.

The data as I see it, seems to show that 100's of thousands of people
are the victims of violent crime per year. Wasn't THAT one of your
points of contention with Richard?

Are you aware of the fact that most assaults and rapes are committed
by someone known to the victim?

I saw where you said that before. I have no information on which to
judge whether it's actually a "fact" or not. Do you have a credible
site that DOES have this information?

I have credible information and I am much more familiar with the
research and the data than anyone else who's appeared in the thread.

You "claim" to have credible information but how can we judge *IF* it's
credible without seeing it, or it's source? Not saying it ISN'T
credible, and not saying it IS.
As far as your statement that you are "...much more familiar with the
research and the data than anyone else who's appeared in the thread."
Well that's an opinion, perhaps true, perhaps not. There seems to be a
battle of the statistics going on between you and Gunner which may, or
may not, jeopardize your claim to being more familiar with the data than
anyone else.

BTW, thinking about it right now, as soon as an "acquaintance" or
"family member" engages in the act of robbery, rape, or assault of
another... then they BECOME "an unethical criminal, intent on taking
stuff and doing bodily harm", do they not? One minute a friend, next
minute a felon.

1) It demonstrates the idiocy of Lewis' emotionally driven fallacious
definition.

Are 410,121 victims 100's of thousands?

2) People tend to be rather hesitant about a self-defense shooting
people they know.

I would be inclined to see that as a relatively true statement.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
Carl Nisarel

Gunner wrote

Nisarel) wrote:

Gunner wrote ..

The link below is a pretty decent report on the bogus data or spin put
on any gun study.

http://reason.com/9704/fe.cdc.shtml

It's the typical BS from Don Kates.

The authors use the typical gunner lies.

They wrote about Kellerman: "Consider a 1993 New England Journal of
Medicine study that, according to press reports, "showed that keeping
a gun in the home nearly triples the likelihood that someone in the
household will be slain there." This claim cannot be verified because
Kellerman will not release the data."

Kellerman's data was released and is easy to find.
http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/cgi/archive.prl?study=6898

And easily refuted

Kates' assertion cannot be 'refuted' since it is false.

That fact whizzed right over your head.

Unlike Kellerman, Kleck's award-winning study has been peer-reviewed."

Kellerman's studies were peer-reviewed.

A typical comment from a criminalogist about Kellerman:

" Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 12:09:16 -0600 From: Rick Lowe

Rick Lowe is in law enforcement and only has undergraduate degrees. He
is neither qualified nor trained to evaluate research.

You're mindlessly repeating another gunner lie.

Just cant handle the refutation of your whole mindset can you?

I'm fine, you're an idiot.

You just mindlessly parrot what other people have written and don't
even realize that what they wrote is false.

Let's watch how you handle it since I just demonstrated that Kates
lied in the article.

Here's another one that you can't handle:

Wiebe, D. 2003. "Injury Prevention Homicide and suicide risks
associated with firearms in the home: A national case-control study,"
Annals of Emergency Medicine, 41:781-781.

http://www.locksley.com/6696/guns2.htm

There's nothing in there that refutes Wiebe's research.

At this point..you may well want to fold up your tent and move on to
more receptive pastures.

The 'receptive pastures' are right here. You're an easy target and
it's entertaining to make you look like a fool.

Gunner

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 21:50:37 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

I miss Mary. Imagine my disappointment when I found out she really was
John...

Ed Huntress

but "she" was good in debate.

Gunner

The hell she was. After describing those armed guys as "students," she
neglected to mention that they were also police officers -- one of them
currently employed. That he had a bulletproof vest and handcuffs in his

car
should have attracted her curiosity about that fact. g

They Were students. And if one is not currently employed..he is not a
policeman. Correct?

Oh, for Christ's sake, Gunner. A "student," with a bulletproof vest and
handcuffs in his car?

No **** Sherlock. If they were taking classes, they were students, No?
Or were they ice cream sellers, or hummmm barnacle grinders?

Lott's editorial was about the role of "armed citizens" in stopping a crime.
He neglected to mention that the "armed citizens" were a currently employed
cop equipped with vest and 'cuffs, and another cop who was studying law.

Do you really want to go through that again? Lott gave up on it himself.

You seem to be missing the other 2.5 million individuals in your
distain for Lott. Thats hardly like you.

Sloppy or just didn't present facts that really were not germane to
the story? Were either student there for the express purpose of
responding to the criminals action? No. Were either of them on duty
and in uniform at the time? No. Would it have made any difference if
either of them had been gay interior decorators? No.

Then the story is that we need more off-duty and former cops. He said
nothing about cops. That's because, if he had, anyone with a lick of sense
would have realized that the story wasn't what he said it was.

Why would we need more off duty and former cops? An armed citizenry
does a fair job as it is now.

If that doesn't sink into your head, then you don't understand why Lott saw
fit to write an editorial about it in the first place...and why he neglected
to say anything about bulletproof vests, handcuffs, or cops.

They were not cops. They were students. When they went on duty, they
were cops. I have oodles more training than 95% of most cops..and Im
not a cop. Im just a citizen.

Your harping on this is a bit interesting. The issues you must be
carrying around with you are fascinating.

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith
Gunner

On 8 Dec 2003 19:28:40 -0800, (Carl
Nisarel) wrote:

Gunner wrote

On 8 Dec 2003 06:47:20 -0800,
(Carl
Nisarel) wrote:

Gunner wrote ...

Did he lie IN his research,(which has been backed up by Kleck,

This is what Kleck thinks about Lott's MGLC research:

"more likely the declines in crime coinciding with relaxation of carry
laws were largely attributable to other factors not controlled in the
Lott and Mustard analysis."

Nice cut and paste out of context.

Lousy try at spinning it.

It's not out of context.

- Kleck G. Targeting Guns: Firearms and Their Control. New York, NY:
Aldine de Gruyter; 1997.

Kleck has never produced any research that 'backs up' Lott.

http://www.rdfrost.com/Reference/RKBA/Kleck.html
http://www.gunsandcrime.org/dgufreq.html

"222 of the 4799 respondents reported having at least one DGU

Kleck's DGU research does not 'back up' Lott's MGLC research. It's tangential.

But you're too stupid to realize it.

And they reached roughly the same conclusions. Thank you very much for
playing.

You really ARE this stupid. Sarah B is not getting her moneys worth
from you.

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith
Gunner

On 8 Dec 2003 19:20:55 -0800, (Carl
Nisarel) wrote:

Gunner wrote

On 8 Dec 2003 09:44:46 -0800,
(Carl
Nisarel) wrote:

[...]

And found incorrect.

A typical comment from a criminalogist about Kellerman:

" Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 12:09:16 -0600 From: Rick Lowe

Rick Lowe is in law enforcement and only has undergraduate degrees. He
is neither qualified nor trained to evaluate research.

LOL...and you?

You're mindlessly repeating another gunner lie.

Just cant handle the refutation of your whole mindset can you?

I'm fine, you're an idiot.

Spoken like a true useful idiot.

You just mindlessly parrot what other people have written and don't
even realize that what they wrote is false.

So far..Im batting 300..and you? Strike Out!

Let's watch how you handle it since I just demonstrated that Kates
lied in the article.

Here's another one that you can't handle:

Wiebe, D. 2003. "Injury Prevention Homicide and suicide risks
associated with firearms in the home: A national case-control study,"
Annals of Emergency Medicine, 41:781-781.

http://www.locksley.com/6696/guns2.htm

There's nothing in there that refutes Wiebe's research.

Cites?

At this point..you may well want to fold up your tent and move on to
more receptive pastures.

The 'receptive pastures' are right here. You're an easy target and
it's entertaining to make you look like a fool.

You entertain easily. You into S&M I take it? So far the beating has
all been on you. Hire a Dominatrix..she will hurt you just the way
you want it.

Sarah really isnt getting her moneys worth

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith
Ed Huntress

"Gunner" wrote in message

They were not cops. They were students. When they went on duty, they
were cops. I have oodles more training than 95% of most cops..and Im
not a cop. Im just a citizen.

Well, then, let's get more cops, and more Gunner-like former cops, out there
with guns. If you've been a cop and if you'd had 95% more training than most
cops, I doubt if many would object to the idea of you being armed and handy
when a cop or a cop stand-in is needed.

On the other hand, if you argue that armed, ordinary college students, who
HAVEN'T had your training, are what we need more of, you're going to get a
hell of a lot of objection. Which is why Lott's editorial was worth
publishing -- it made this very provocative argument, that armed college
students saved the day. Of all the people I heard from while that discussion
was going on, and for months afterward, you're the only one I can recall who
just doesn't get it.

Let me spell it out slowly, one last time. If you (or John Lott/Mary Rosh)
had said that the situation at that law school shows that it's good to have
some armed cops around, or former cops -- anyone who was trained as a cop,
who passed muster to become a cop, and who has both the knowledge that cops
have about handling armed criminals and guns and the experience of having
thought like a cop, served as a cop, and qualified as a cop -- hardly a peep
of objection would have been heard. Whether they were on duty or off,
serving actively or on leave to study law, retired, resigned, or whatever,
they had the background that makes the difference to much of the public. You
don't hear many people saying that they don't want armed cops around, and
those that *do* say it tend to be the people we want the cops to protect us
from.

You seem not to recognize this point. Lott probably *does* recognize it,
which is why he said nothing about it. If he had written an editorial about
the value of having armed cops/former cops/whatever cops in a situation like
that, it would have been so unremarkable, and so uncontroversial, that the
NY Post would have had no reason in this world to publish the editorial.
Lott knew it, the Post knew it, and almost every sentient being in the
country who read the story knew it. Except you, of course. g

If you want to argue that having armed college students running around
campus is a good thing, go ahead and argue it. That isn't the point here,
and I won't get involved with it because it's purely speculative, unless you
want to count the carefully selected anecdotes you probably could dredge up
from the NRA or whatever -- and I don't count anecdotes, because they're
often misleading, especially when they're selected by fervent advocates on
one side of an issue.

The issue was never whether ordinary college students should be armed. The
point was that Lott selected bits from the larger story and glossed over
some very telling ones when he told it. That's one form of propaganda:
selecting bits of truth and weaving them into an argument that draws a
misleading conclusion. From the actual evidence, there's nothing that can be
said about what would have happened if those armed "students" had just been
ordinary college kids with guns, and not college students who happened to be
trained as cops, and who happened to have served as cops.

If you don't recognize this, ask yourself why, if the point isn't "germane,"
as you said in your last post, you would get excited about the fact that it
came up in this discussion. If it isn't germane, you have no reason to
remark about it. I never said ANYTHING about it being bad, or wrong, for
college students to be armed (although I would if you had asked -- I
remember college students and their qualities of judgment and maturity very
well, because I was one g). What you're getting excited about is the fact
that I researched it and found out that they were cops, and then pointed it
out. If it's not germane, then what's your beef?

Ed Huntress