Zwanz of Never

Default smoke from neighbor's condo - coming thru electrical outlet

finally found the source of the smoke smell that has been leaking into my
aparment somehow...it's coming from a specific electrical outlet in the
living room - how do I seal that bad boy up so no air seems thru? I dont
need to use it, so thats not an issue. Thanks

PrecisionMachinisT

"Zwanz of Never" wrote in message
finally found the source of the smoke smell that has been leaking into my
aparment somehow...it's coming from a specific electrical outlet in the
living room - how do I seal that bad boy up so no air seems thru? I dont
need to use it, so thats not an issue. Thanks

Just one word............

"Duck tape"

--

SVL

Zwanz of Never

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

"Zwanz of Never" wrote in message
finally found the source of the smoke smell that has been leaking into my
aparment somehow...it's coming from a specific electrical outlet in the
living room - how do I seal that bad boy up so no air seems thru? I dont
need to use it, so thats not an issue. Thanks

Just one word............

"Duck tape"

I love duck tape as much as anybody... but I want something thats not gonna
be unsightly!

xrongor

low expansion spray foam.

John A. Weeks III

In article OTfPd.27588$uc.20679@trnddc03,
"Zwanz of Never" wrote:

finally found the source of the smoke smell that has been leaking into my
aparment somehow...it's coming from a specific electrical outlet in the
living room - how do I seal that bad boy up so no air seems thru? I dont
need to use it, so thats not an issue. Thanks

I had that happen in an apartment years ago. I covered the plates
with black electrical tape. I had to put silicone sealant around
one of the wall plates to keep it from leaking between the plastic
and the drywall.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

Abe

finally found the source of the smoke smell that has been leaking into my
apartment somehow...it's coming from a specific electrical outlet in the
living room - how do I seal that bad boy up so no air seems thru? I don't
need to use it, so that's not an issue. Thanks

I had that happen in an apartment years ago. I covered the plates
with black electrical tape. I had to put silicone sealant around
one of the wall plates to keep it from leaking between the plastic
and the drywall.

----------
I wouldn't seal the plate to the wall. Take the plate off, and seal
between the box and drywall, and seal the wire inlets (don't
electrocute yourself). Then put the plate back on.
Robert Morien

In article ,
Abe wrote:

finally found the source of the smoke smell that has been leaking into my
apartment somehow...it's coming from a specific electrical outlet in the
living room - how do I seal that bad boy up so no air seems thru? I don't
need to use it, so that's not an issue. Thanks

I had that happen in an apartment years ago. I covered the plates
with black electrical tape. I had to put silicone sealant around
one of the wall plates to keep it from leaking between the plastic
and the drywall.

----------
I wouldn't seal the plate to the wall. Take the plate off, and seal
between the box and drywall, and seal the wire inlets (don't
electrocute yourself). Then put the plate back on.

All nice answers, but as it's a defect in the apartment, why not let the
apartment manager fix the problem.

I sure hope the smoke smell mentioned is tobacco not wires.
bumtracks

Clear Duct Tape

or electrical duct seal packed in behind the recpt sealing the box screw
holes, pipe fittings, and other openings.

Have to assume cigarette smoke from a neighbor? Hard to believe that odor
only would noticeable coming through just one recpt.

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

"Zwanz of Never" wrote in message
finally found the source of the smoke smell that has been leaking into

my
aparment somehow...it's coming from a specific electrical outlet in the
living room - how do I seal that bad boy up so no air seems thru? I

dont
need to use it, so thats not an issue. Thanks

Just one word............

"Duck tape"

I love duck tape as much as anybody... but I want something thats not

gonna
be unsightly!

Dr. Hardcrab

"Zwanz of Never" wrote in message
finally found the source of the smoke smell that has been leaking into my
aparment somehow...it's coming from a specific electrical outlet in the
living room - how do I seal that bad boy up so no air seems thru? I dont
need to use it, so thats not an issue. Thanks

You can buy packets of insulation made specifically for wall switchplates,
outlets, etc. Check Home Depot or Lowes in the section where they sell
weatherstripping and stuff.....

Steve B.

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 04:47:42 GMT, "Zwanz of Never"
wrote:

finally found the source of the smoke smell that has been leaking into my
aparment somehow...it's coming from a specific electrical outlet in the
living room - how do I seal that bad boy up so no air seems thru? I dont
need to use it, so thats not an issue. Thanks

Get you an exterior grade outlet cover. They have foam seals that
should do a decent job sealing out the smoke and you can just open up
the cover on either plug if you need to use it sometime.

I think they also make a foam insulator that goes between the face
plate and outlet box that may also work.

Steve B.

Clark Griswold

"Robert Morien" wrote in message
In article ,

All nice answers, but as it's a defect in the apartment, why not let the
apartment manager fix the problem.

I sure hope the smoke smell mentioned is tobacco not wires.

I have to agree with Robert. You should notify your landlord before you do
anything to the apartment. You may be in violation of your lease agreement.
And, do you know for sure the smoke is coming from his apartment and the
type of smoke?

An outlet can go bad even if nothing is plugged into it.

PrecisionMachinisT

"Kathy" wrote in message

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

"Zwanz of Never" wrote in message
finally found the source of the smoke smell that has been leaking into

my
aparment somehow...it's coming from a specific electrical outlet in

the
living room - how do I seal that bad boy up so no air seems thru? I

dont
need to use it, so thats not an issue. Thanks

Just one word............

"Duck tape"

That's 2 words.

And the winner is...

Kath !!!

--

SVL

Robert Morien

In article ,
"Kathy" wrote:

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

"Zwanz of Never" wrote in message
finally found the source of the smoke smell that has been leaking into

my
aparment somehow...it's coming from a specific electrical outlet in the
living room - how do I seal that bad boy up so no air seems thru? I dont
need to use it, so thats not an issue. Thanks

Just one word............

"Duck tape"

That's 2 words.

that's one word

even though it's a contraction
Phisherman

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 07:04:32 GMT, "Zwanz of Never"
wrote:

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

"Zwanz of Never" wrote in message
finally found the source of the smoke smell that has been leaking into my
aparment somehow...it's coming from a specific electrical outlet in the
living room - how do I seal that bad boy up so no air seems thru? I dont
need to use it, so thats not an issue. Thanks

Just one word............

"Duck tape"

I love duck tape as much as anybody... but I want something thats not gonna
be unsightly!

You can purchase those clear plastic protectors that fit into the
outlets. They are "safety" items made to keep kids from poking metal
objects into outlets. I use these on exterior wall outlets to cut
down on drafts. I think you buy them in a six pack for cheap.

John A. Weeks III

In article ,
"Clark Griswold" wrote:

"Robert Morien" wrote in message
In article ,

All nice answers, but as it's a defect in the apartment, why not let the
apartment manager fix the problem.

I sure hope the smoke smell mentioned is tobacco not wires.

I have to agree with Robert. You should notify your landlord before you do
anything to the apartment. You may be in violation of your lease agreement.
And, do you know for sure the smoke is coming from his apartment and the
type of smoke?

As a person who is extremely sensitive to cigarette smoke, I can
assure you that there was no doubt about it. The two people that
lived next door to me somked 2 to 3 packs each per day. You could
smell it coming out from under their door when you walked by, and
you could smell their car several stalls away. They kept a west
window open all the time, which put positive pressure inside their
apartment, so the smoke oozed out of their unit anywhere it could.

I never bothered the apartment manager with small details that
I could easily take care of myself.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Betsy

I had this problem when I lived in an upstairs apartment from a chain smoker
(old house).

First, get an electrically safe can of foam insulation. Take the cover off
the outlet and fill the gaps around the box (NOT IN THE BOX) with the foam.

Then get the insulation foams "plates" from Home Depot or wherever. Place
this over the outlet. It should fit snugly. Then replace the cover.

If there is still an odor, get the plastic plugs that prevent kids from
poking their fingers into the outlet and plug them in.

Good luck.

"Zwanz of Never" wrote in message
finally found the source of the smoke smell that has been leaking into my
aparment somehow...it's coming from a specific electrical outlet in the
living room - how do I seal that bad boy up so no air seems thru? I dont
need to use it, so thats not an issue. Thanks

effi

"Zwanz of Never" wrote in message
finally found the source of the smoke smell that has been leaking into my
aparment somehow...it's coming from a specific electrical outlet in the
living room - how do I seal that bad boy up so no air seems thru? I dont
need to use it, so thats not an issue. Thanks

to stop the airflow "so no air seems thru":

get the flat foam gaskets mentioned in this thread, at one of the warehouse
home improvement stores if no place else has them, put them around all wall
swithces and wall plugs, may as well get management to do your whole
apartment, since the cost of the foam seals is very inexpensive

supposedly you can increase the efficiency of those foam gaskets by
strategically applying some silicone caulk

also the child proof plastic plug ins for wall plugs might stop a tiny
percentage of air flow (but the foam gaskets will stop most of the air flow
around the wall plug)

there may be other holes in your walls or ceiling besides wall swithces and
wall plugs (around windows and doors, maybe from a centrail hvac unit to
your attic, from a fireplace area into the attic, around plumbing under
sinks and behind showers, etc.), those other holes would need to be sealed
also to stop the airflow into your apartment

look at it as your ship and you need to seal all leaks into it

there are more exotic things you could do to stop the airflow through your
walls etc.if you were the homeowner but the above, done by your apartment
management at their expense, may be best for you

GFRfan

Zwanz of Never wrote:
"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

"Zwanz of Never" wrote in message

finally found the source of the smoke smell that has been leaking into my
aparment somehow...it's coming from a specific electrical outlet in the
living room - how do I seal that bad boy up so no air seems thru? I dont
need to use it, so thats not an issue. Thanks

Just one word............

"Duck tape"

I love duck tape as much as anybody... but I want something thats not gonna
be unsightly!

Maybe if you have 'duck' wallpaper the 'duck' tape might match and not
look so bad. Maybe you could use some of that 'duck' tape to seal up the
'duct' work too.
Steve Manes

wrote:

finally found the source of the smoke smell that has been leaking into my
aparment somehow...it's coming from a specific electrical outlet in the
living room - how do I seal that bad boy up so no air seems thru? I dont
need to use it, so thats not an issue. Thanks

I suspect that even if you seal up that outlet you're still going to
get that smell. A little void like this creating a noticeable smell
in your condo suggests a negative pressure situation. That is, their
condo has a slightly higher air pressure than yours. If so, sealing
up that outlet will probably just move the smell to another one.

Do they leave a window cracked or keep their condo cooler than yours?

Steve Manes
Brooklyn, NY
http://www.magpie.com/house/bbs

willshak

On 2/13/2005 12:40 PM US(ET), GFRfan took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/duckvsduct.html

--
Bill
Zwanz of Never

wrote:

finally found the source of the smoke smell that has been leaking into my
aparment somehow...it's coming from a specific electrical outlet in the
living room - how do I seal that bad boy up so no air seems thru? I dont
need to use it, so thats not an issue. Thanks

I suspect that even if you seal up that outlet you're still going to
get that smell. A little void like this creating a noticeable smell
in your condo suggests a negative pressure situation. That is, their
condo has a slightly higher air pressure than yours. If so, sealing
up that outlet will probably just move the smell to another one.

Do they leave a window cracked or keep their condo cooler than yours?

Not sure...dont even know who they are! Just passed by their apartment and
smelled the wafe of smoke coming from underneath the door...so thats how i
know where its coming from

GFRfan

Zwanz of Never wrote:

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in
message ...

"Zwanz of Never" wrote in message

finally found the source of the smoke smell that has been leaking
into my
aparment somehow...it's coming from a specific electrical outlet in
the
living room - how do I seal that bad boy up so no air seems thru? I
dont
need to use it, so thats not an issue. Thanks

Just one word............

"Duck tape"

I love duck tape as much as anybody... but I want something thats not
gonna be unsightly!

Maybe if you have 'duck' wallpaper the 'duck' tape might match and
not look so bad. Maybe you could use some of that 'duck' tape to seal
up the 'duct' work too.

http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/duckvsduct.html

Thanks. That's interesting. Now I can't chastise the wife any more for
calling it Duck tape.
Stormin Mormon

The wiseass answer is four layers of duct tape. More practical, the other
folks have the right idea with the foam cutouts.

I'm wondering if that's going to really solve the problem, but it's better
than nothing.

Aerosol "Ozium" from the auto parts store works fairly well on smoke odor.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Zwanz of Never" wrote in message
finally found the source of the smoke smell that has been leaking into my
aparment somehow...it's coming from a specific electrical outlet in the
living room - how do I seal that bad boy up so no air seems thru? I dont
need to use it, so thats not an issue. Thanks

Bevington

It's "Duct" Tape.

1. Don't use expanding foam (fire hazard)
2. The best way would be to wrap the box in 6 mill vapour barrier.
Unfortunatly not an option in your situation. Stuffing the area around
the outlet box would appear to be the most viable solution. Use "Roxul"
Insulation for that application. This product will not burn. It is
available at any building supply store.
3. It probably wouldn't hurt to go and speak to your neighbor. BE
FRIENDLY!!!
You will get better results.
4. If you allow your landlord to do this work, make sure you are their
to supervise. You don't need a bad situation made worse.

Good luck!

--
Bevington
Bevington's Profile: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=53

Nick Hull

In article ,
Bevington wrote:

It's "Duct" Tape.

1. Don't use expanding foam (fire hazard)

You can get fireproof expanding foam (doesn't expand much) intended for
fireproofing electrical feed thrus, I have some.

A little vinegar will make the smoke smell disappear.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Nick Hull

In article ,
"John A. Weeks III" wrote:

As a person who is extremely sensitive to cigarette smoke, I can
assure you that there was no doubt about it. The two people that
lived next door to me somked 2 to 3 packs each per day. You could
smell it coming out from under their door when you walked by, and
you could smell their car several stalls away. They kept a west
window open all the time, which put positive pressure inside their
apartment, so the smoke oozed out of their unit anywhere it could.

If you inject some phosgene under their door it will make cigarettes
taste real bad.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Sam Marlison

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message
You can buy packets of insulation made specifically for
wall switchplates, outlets, etc. Check Home Depot or Lowes
in the section where they sell weatherstripping and
stuff.....

Yes! This worked for me when I lived in a condo above
smokers.

Clark Griswold

"Nick Hull" wrote in message

If you inject some phosgene under their door it will make cigarettes
taste real bad.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Not something to screw around with
http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/phosgene/basics/facts.asp

Stormin Mormon

Drill a 1/8 hole right through the wall, and put a WD-40 straw onto the 16
ounce Ozium can. Dump the entire can into their apartment. Problem solved.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Usmiech" wrote in message
news:1108410890.60977829cf4cfd112b6f7cb1d4eb9990@b ubbanews...
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

The wiseass answer is four layers of duct tape. More practical, the
other folks have the right idea with the foam cutouts.

I'm wondering if that's going to really solve the problem, but it's
better than nothing.

Aerosol "Ozium" from the auto parts store works fairly well on smoke
odor.

Once that's blocked I wonder where the smoke is going to try to find to get
out. Maybe right thru the walls, but you won't know because it's slowly
seep in? Possibly around pipes? Damned smokers. Sue their asses.

Stormin Mormon

How long do you have to soak the smoekrs in vinegar?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
In article ,
Bevington wrote:

It's "Duct" Tape.

1. Don't use expanding foam (fire hazard)

You can get fireproof expanding foam (doesn't expand much) intended for
fireproofing electrical feed thrus, I have some.

A little vinegar will make the smoke smell disappear.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

mc

There are kits for leakproofing an outlet in an outside wall, to keep the
cold air from coming in. (Look for energy-saving things at the hardware
store.) The same thing should work here.

"Zwanz of Never" wrote in message
finally found the source of the smoke smell that has been leaking into my
aparment somehow...it's coming from a specific electrical outlet in the
living room - how do I seal that bad boy up so no air seems thru? I dont
need to use it, so thats not an issue. Thanks

Travis Jordan

Zwanz of Never wrote:
finally found the source of the smoke smell that has been leaking
into my aparment somehow...it's coming from a specific electrical
outlet in the living room - how do I seal that bad boy up so no air

If your home is really a condo, then you don't own the interior wall and
the best you can do is to cover the surface of the outlet. If it were
me I'd involve the condo board and ask them to seal up the leaky walls
anywhere they exist.

blueman

"Travis Jordan" writes:
If your home is really a condo, then you don't own the interior wall and
the best you can do is to cover the surface of the outlet. If it were
me I'd involve the condo board and ask them to seal up the leaky walls
anywhere they exist.

Not true in our neck of the woods. Here traditionally, the individual
owns from the studs in -- i.e. studs are common space.
Also, the actual public vs. private ownership should be the detailed
in the condo docs.

electrical question on 30A outlet xrongor Woodworking 13 June 26th 04 05:22 AM
Strange Electrical Outlet in Airing Cupboard TheScullster UK diy 9 May 17th 04 11:23 PM
Repeated noise coming from a GFCI outlet Dan Koellhofer Home Repair 1 February 18th 04 07:30 AM
New Electrical Regs PoP UK diy 22 September 1st 03 08:41 PM
Installing Electrical Outlet In Sink Cabinet Matty Home Repair 0 August 27th 03 03:08 PM