TheScullster

Default Strange Electrical Outlet in Airing Cupboard

Hi all

Can anyone help identify the outlet detailed below please:?

Within the airing cupboard there were two single boxes.
One, which I believe was the original immersion feed, had been hijacked, run
through a cooker point (to provide a socket for a shower supply, an
immersion supply and an alarm panel feed via a separate fuse). This was
supplied by 2.5sq mm T & E.

The strange thing is that the second single box (which looked like it had
never been disturbed) had an immersion heater type face plate, but only
1.5sq mm T & E feeding it!

Does anyone know what this second socket with the light feed would be for?

For reference the house is 1970s build in East Yorkshire.

TIA

Phil

Dave Plowman

In article ,
TheScullster wrote:
Can anyone help identify the outlet detailed below please:?

Within the airing cupboard there were two single boxes. One, which I
believe was the original immersion feed, had been hijacked, run through
a cooker point (to provide a socket for a shower supply, an immersion
supply and an alarm panel feed via a separate fuse). This was supplied
by 2.5sq mm T & E.

Err, I don't know of any shower capable of running off 2.5mm - let alone
with an immersion as well. The smallest showers I've seen are 7.2 kW which
is about 30 amps. 2.5mm is rated at 24 amps.

The strange thing is that the second single box (which looked like it had
never been disturbed) had an immersion heater type face plate, but only
1.5sq mm T & E feeding it!

Does anyone know what this second socket with the light feed would be
for?

Perhaps there used to be twin element immersions with a small second one?

For reference the house is 1970s build in East Yorkshire.

--
*Filthy stinking rich -- well, two out of three ain't bad

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Set Square

TheScullster wrote:

Hi all

Can anyone help identify the outlet detailed below please:?

Within the airing cupboard there were two single boxes.
One, which I believe was the original immersion feed, had been
hijacked, run through a cooker point (to provide a socket for a
shower supply, an immersion supply and an alarm panel feed via a
separate fuse). This was supplied by 2.5sq mm T & E.

The strange thing is that the second single box (which looked like it
had never been disturbed) had an immersion heater type face plate,
but only
1.5sq mm T & E feeding it!

Does anyone know what this second socket with the light feed would be
for?

For reference the house is 1970s build in East Yorkshire.

TIA

Phil

Is anything connected to it? Could it have been the feed for a central
heating system. It is not uncommon to find the wiring for a fully pumped
system all brought together in the airing cupboard.

Incidentally, what type of shower is being supplied by your 2.5mm cable? I
trust it's only a shower *pump* and not an electrically-heated shower?!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

TheScullster

Set Square/Dave

Worry not, the previous shower was a mira excel (I think), with gravity
supply hot and cold and an internal electric accelerator pump.
Now considering fitting a new shower, still gravity hot/cold, but external
pump.

Interesting thought the central heating control bit, but I am fairly sure
that the original system was fully pumped, with the pump located on the
boiler return at ground level. The motorised valve on the hot water side is
in the airing cupboard but on the opposite side of the cupboard to this box
and wired independently.

Phil

Andrew Welham

I have a pair of switches on my airing cupboard. One is an immersion
heater, the other is the central heating. Only found out when i turned
it off, and the central heating stopped.
Andrew

Set Square wrote:
TheScullster wrote:

[...]

To reply via email, first reverse the address below then replace the
(at) with @ and the (dot) with .
moc(tod)xepip(tod)lsd(ta)spuorgswen_werdna

troubleinstore

Dave Plowman wrote:

In article ,
TheScullster wrote:

[...]

Can't help with the original post, but back in the 70's when I was
working for City Electrical Factors, don't know if they are still
about, we used to sell a 3Kw unit called a 'Carosel' can't remember
the makers name. This unit could be used with a Shower head in the
bathroom or next to a kitchen sink with a short length of chrome pipe
as an Instantaneous water heater.
I know Mum & Dad asked me to get one for them and fit it on the
kitchen sink.
--
troubleinstore
www.tuppencechange.co.uk
Peter Parry

On Mon, 17 May 2004 13:11:59 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote:

Does anyone know what this second socket with the light feed would be for?

Not sure about the wiring but it was common at that time to have two
immersion heaters - the lower one ran at night on cheap rate
electricity and provided the bulk of the hot water. The upper one
topped up the hot water during the day if necessary.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Bob Eager

On Mon, 17 May 2004 16:07:45 UTC, "TheScullster"
wrote:

(mystery outlet like immersion heater one wired with 1.5mm2)

I'd guess it was to feed one of those low power 'tube' heaters that used
to be really common at the bottom of airing cupboards. Usually connected
with flexible cable, so the flex outlet part would make sense.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Lurch

On Mon, 17 May 2004 13:11:59 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "TheScullster"
strung together this:

Hi all

Can anyone help identify the outlet detailed below please:?

I'll try.

Within the airing cupboard there were two single boxes.
One, which I believe was the original immersion feed, had been hijacked, run
through a cooker point (to provide a socket for a shower supply, an
immersion supply and an alarm panel feed via a separate fuse). This was
supplied by 2.5sq mm T & E.

And where is it fed from, is it a spur from the ring?

The strange thing is that the second single box (which looked like it had
never been disturbed) had an immersion heater type face plate, but only
1.5sq mm T & E feeding it!

Nothing strange there.

Does anyone know what this second socket with the light feed would be for?

It's not a light feed, it's a 1.5mm feed, which can in most cases be
used as a 16A supply, which is ample for an immersion heater. I've
seen quite a few properties of 70s\80s era with immersions wired in
1.5mm cable.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Dev Null

On Mon, 17 May 2004 13:11:59 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "TheScullster"
strung together this:

Can anyone help identify the outlet detailed below please:?
Within the airing cupboard there were two single boxes.

I have seen systems where it is possible to plug in the immersion
heater to either an "off-peak" supply or the normal "full-rate" where
the off-peak is on a time switch.

Perhaps this is the remnants of such a system?

DN

Building a cupboard into a (new) plasterboard wall James UK diy 1 May 3rd 04 12:20 PM
New Electrical Regs PoP UK diy 22 September 1st 03 08:41 PM
Forthcoming Building Regulations on electrical work (Part P) Andrew McKay UK diy 42 July 30th 03 08:05 AM