Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pure gas vs E85

On 6/20/2020 12:56 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 6/18/20 7:29 PM, T wrote:

[snip]

Don't forget to add nitrogen to your tires to help improve mileage.
(—”_—”)

I also use Diydrogen Monoxide to wash my car.Â* Removes
bug guts from my windshield really nicely.

:-)

That reminds me of some TV show where they were talking about
"environmental" groups that were really just political and knew nothing
about the environment. A lot of people would sign a petition to ban
dihydrogen monoxide. Anyone asking what that is were told something like
"It's a chemical used in industrial processes, which gets into lakes and
rivers. People who have contact with it get cancer.".

Have you known anyone to ever fall for that trash?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/18/20 7:29 PM, T wrote:

[snip]

Don't forget to add nitrogen to your tires to help improve mileage. (—”_—”)

I also use Diydrogen Monoxide to wash my car.Â* Removes
bug guts from my windshield really nicely.

:-)

That reminds me of some TV show where they were talking about "environmental" groups that were really just political and knew nothing about the environment. A lot of people would sign a petition to ban dihydrogen monoxide. Anyone asking what that is
were told something like "It's a chemical used in industrial processes, which gets into lakes and rivers. People who have contact with it get cancer.".

Have you known anyone to ever fall for that trash?

Sure, look at all the masktards hiding from a nothingburger virus.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 16:52:07 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

writes:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 06:24:07 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 6:38:34 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 6/18/2020 6:19 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
T writes:
Hi All,

I watch my mileage. I have been running pure gasoline now
for a bunch on months.

My mileage jump up from 23.5 on 15% alcohol to 25.5 miles
per gallon on pure gasoline

It hasn't been news for two decades that alcohol fuel mixes reduce mileage simply
due to less energy content in the fuel.

Where have you been?

Very true and they are screwing him by charging more for pure gasoline
as it is cheaper to make.

You have cites for that? That it actually costs the refiner more for
alcohol than to refine crude? Also factor in the retailer needs a
separate tank and pump that's low volume to support it.

The price of both alcohol and crude vary widely but I assume both go
into the price along with more than a little wiggle room to flatten
the curve. I know the $40 XOM I bought during the panicdemic is doing
OK so they must be doing something right. ($47 today, +17.5% in a
month or so)

Economies of scale. The more thay make of something, the cheaper
it is to sell.

Oil is fairly volatile but ethanol is a corn product and the
government has it's finger on the scale for all things corn.
It is interesting that hand sanitizer is $25-50 a gallon but that same
alcohol in gasoline goes for $2.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-22 15:06, wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 16:52:07 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)

T writes:
[...]

Isopropyl versus ethyl alcohol. Plus moisturizers,
stabilizers, toxic perfumes, packaging, car payments
to the seller, etc..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/18/20 7:29 PM, T wrote:

[snip]

Don't forget to add nitrogen to your tires to help improve mileage.
(?_?)

I also use Diydrogen Monoxide to wash my car.Â* Removes
bug guts from my windshield really nicely.

:-)

That reminds me of some TV show where they were talking about
"environmental" groups that were really just political and knew nothing
about the environment. A lot of people would sign a petition to ban
dihydrogen monoxide. Anyone asking what that is were told something like
"It's a chemical used in industrial processes, which gets into lakes and
rivers. People who have contact with it get cancer.".

Have you known anyone to ever fall for that trash?

The show he is talking about is Penn and Teller "Bull****" (on Amazon
Prime) and yes they did get a bunch of greenie weenies to sigh their
petition on camera. They have lots of fun with environmentalists.
I have been in the ecology world for quite a while now and I find a
lot of "environmentalism" is just a cult religion that does not deal
well with science. They do not have to understand an issue to be
adamant about it.
Recycling is an excellent example. Our waste management company is
trying hard to tell people what not to put in the barrel but hard core
environmentalists think if they throw it in the barrel, it will be
recycled and better than putting it in the landfill. Unfortunately it
usually results in everything in that truck going to the landfill if
the plant decides there is too much trash in there when they tip the
truck.
The reality is most of the stuff we think we are recycling goes to the
dump anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-22 15:06, wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 16:52:07 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)

T writes:
[...]

Most hand sanitizer in ethanol.
In fact we are getting "moonshine" hand sanitizer with that
unmistakable smell of "first run" moonshine.
It is probably run off at 80-90% in a single pass, not multiple passes
like good vodka,.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-22 15:06,
wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 16:52:07 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)

T writes:
[...]

"moon shine sanitizers". Chuckle.

Don't forget the perfume to give everyone around
you asthma

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 11:46:56 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
T writes:
Hi All,

I watch my mileage. I have been running pure gasoline now
for a bunch on months.

My mileage jump up from 23.5 on 15% alcohol to 25.5 miles
per gallon on pure gasoline

It hasn't been news for two decades that alcohol fuel mixes reduce mileage simply
due to less energy content in the fuel.

Where have you been?

Very true and they are screwing him by charging more for pure gasoline
as it is cheaper to make.

You have cites for that? That it actually costs the refiner more for
alcohol than to refine crude? Also factor in the retailer needs a
separate tank and pump that's low volume to support it.

Educate yourself by looking at it into the whole process.

I take that to mean that like usual, you have no cites. Thanks for playing.
Are you going to Tulsa?

I could easily find cites and I know you do not like to think for
yourself. But, you called me into question and it is up to you to prove
me wrong.

Typical trumpet logic. Make some claim, then when questioned to back it up,
demand that someone else prove it wrong. Thanks for representing for the
trumpets again Frank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

T writes:
[...]

I see my BP is way down but I held it for years starting as Amoco.

Here is a little ethanol tidbit for the libs:

https://www.thoughtco.com/understand...ubsidy-3321701

Mentions subsidy along with raising the price of food as an unintended
consequence. I understand maybe a 50 cent a gallon tariff was put on
ethanol from Brazil where it is cheaper.

Which of course is not the claim you made. Funny how you have no problem
coming up with that, but nothing to support your actual claim. Attempt
at moving the goal posts noted. Were you at Tulsa Sat night?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 1:33:52 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 6/19/2020 9:15 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 19:50:13 -0400, Frank wrote:

T writes:
[...]

Most environmentalists have given up on Ethanol as being their dream
fuel. The ecological costs are too high and Brazil is the poster child
for this. We see a microcosm of this here is South Florida where we
are blaming sugar for all of our water ills. Granted most US ethanol
comes from corn instead of the sugar they use in Brazil but our corn
crop is far from benign too. The latest boogie man is Glyphosate but
there are also concerns about the GMO frankencorn Monsanto has a
strangle hold on.

Even that great god of the left, Al Gore, has said it was a mistake.
Big agribusiness like ADM greased the palms of both parties to put in
the oxygen mandate. Industry found they could meet the mandate cheaper
with MTBE but then it was found that if gasoline leaked into the soil
then aquifers that even 1 ppb of MTBE made the water taste bad and it
was banned.

And of course you pointed that out and spoke out in opposition when Trump
increased the ethanol mandate, right Frank?

Posted to alt.home.repair

T writes:
[...]

Yeah, or one that was signed by GWB back in 2007?
Posted to alt.home.repair

T writes:
[...]

Nothing I do will convince you but I can annoy you easily.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-22 15:06,
wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 16:52:07 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)

wrote:

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 6:38:34 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 6/18/2020 6:19 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
T writes:
Hi All,

I watch my mileage.Â* I have been running pure gasoline now
for a bunch on months.

My mileage jump up from 23.5 on 15% alcohol to 25.5 miles
per gallon on pure gasoline

It hasn't been news for two decades that alcohol fuel mixes
reduce mileage simply
due to less energy content in the fuel.

Where have you been?

Very true and they are screwing him by charging more for pure
gasoline
as it is cheaper to make.

You have cites for that?Â* That it actually costs the refiner more
for
alcohol than to refine crude?Â* Also factor in the retailer needs a
separate tank and pump that's low volume to support it.

The price of both alcohol and crude vary widely but I assume both go
into the price along with more than a little wiggle room to flatten
the curve. I know the $40 XOM I bought during the panicdemic is doing
OK so they must be doing something right. ($47 today, +17.5% in a
month or so)

Economies of scale.Â*Â* The more thay make of something, the cheaper
it is to sell.

Oil is fairly volatile but ethanol is a corn product and the
government has it's finger on the scale for all things corn.
It is interesting that hand sanitizer is $25-50 a gallon but that same
alcohol in gasoline goes for $2.

Isopropyl versus ethyl alcohol.Â* Plus moisturizers,
stabilizers, toxic perfumes, packaging, car payments
to the seller, etc..

Most hand sanitizer in ethanol.
In fact we are getting "moonshine" hand sanitizer with that
unmistakable smell of "first run" moonshine.
It is probably run off at 80-90% in a single pass, not multiple passes
like good vodka,.

"moon shine sanitizers".Â* Chuckle.

Don't forget the perfume to give everyone around
you asthma

When this started and hand sanitizer was in short supply I found local
liquor store chain to be sold out of the high proof stuff. I think all
above 60% which it takes to kill virus.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/18/20 7:29 PM, T wrote:

[snip]

Don't forget to add nitrogen to your tires to help improve mileage.
(—”_—”)

I also use Diydrogen Monoxide to wash my car.Â* Removes
bug guts from my windshield really nicely.

:-)

That reminds me of some TV show where they were talking about
"environmental" groups that were really just political and knew
nothing about the environment. A lot of people would sign a petition
to ban dihydrogen monoxide. Anyone asking what that is were told
something like "It's a chemical used in industrial processes, which
gets into lakes and rivers. People who have contact with it get cancer.".

Have you known anyone to ever fall for that trash?

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/4534017/ns...-fall-ho-hoax/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-22 15:06,
wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 16:52:07 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)

T writes:
[...]

liquor store chain to be sold out of the high proof stuff.Â* I think all
above 60% which it takes to kill virus.

A little off the subject, but squirting some isopropyl on
some of the recycled John Wayne TP we got a hold of
after about 5 minutes showed pretty green, blue, and
purple spots. Hmmmmmm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/18/20 7:29 PM, T wrote:

[snip]

Don't forget to add nitrogen to your tires to help improve mileage.
(?_?)

I also use Diydrogen Monoxide to wash my car.* Removes
bug guts from my windshield really nicely.

:-)

That reminds me of some TV show where they were talking about
"environmental" groups that were really just political and knew nothing
about the environment. A lot of people would sign a petition to ban
dihydrogen monoxide. Anyone asking what that is were told something like
"It's a chemical used in industrial processes, which gets into lakes and
rivers. People who have contact with it get cancer.".

Have you known anyone to ever fall for that trash?

One of the late night shows did a street segment where they asked people if
they masticate, and if so, how often and when was the last time. Keep in
mind that they can cut and edit the video for maximum comedic effect, but
plenty of people answered as if they'd been asked about masturbate rather
than masticate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default tricky speech, was: Pure gas vs E85

In Jim Joyce writes:

[snip]

One of the late night shows did a street segment where they asked people if
they masticate, and if so, how often and when was the last time. Keep in
mind that they can cut and edit the video for maximum comedic effect, but
plenty of people answered as if they'd been asked about masturbate rather
than masticate.

Brings to mind this classic, it does, and a tear to the eye,
from Mad Magazine, 1970

[snip]

Let us take a very quick look at that childhood: It is a known fact
that, on a number of occasions, he emulated older boys at a certain
playground. It is also known that his parents not only permitted
him to masticate excessively in their presence, but even urged him
to do so. Most explicable of all, this man who poses as a paragon of
virtue exacerbated his own sister while they were both teenagers !
======
rest:
http://gis.washington.edu/phurvitz/o...mearSpeech.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/22/2020 6:15 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

As with all such programs (e.g. Leno's Man in the Street), they have
to interview 100 people to find two gullible suckers. One certainly
shouldn't draw any conclusions from such programs, other that you can
always find ignorance if you look for it hard enough.

Unfortunately, it seems the odds are more than not the other way 'round
in general populace.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 00:05:30 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In Jim Joyce writes:

[snip]

[...]

Lots of good lines in there. Mad Magazine was frequently ahead of its time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-22 15:06, wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 16:52:07 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)

T writes:
[...]

That's methanol.

It is probably run off at 80-90% in a single pass,
not multiple passes like good vodka,.

Absolutely certain, no point in multiple passes with hand sanitiser.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/18/20 7:29 PM, T wrote:

[snip]

Don't forget to add nitrogen to your tires to help improve mileage.
(?_?)

I also use Diydrogen Monoxide to wash my car.ÂÂ* Removes
[...]

In this particular case they got the organizer of the rally along with
some of the speakers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-22 15:06,
wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 16:52:07 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)

T writes:
[...]

They had some 151 rum when I looked but I wasn't sure I wanted to
smell like Bacardi. Later I did go for the moonshine tho. It claims to
be 80% ethanol.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-22 15:06,
wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 16:52:07 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)

T writes:
[...]

I haven't see isopropanol in a store for months.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 15:06:32 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp addressing Rodent Speed:
"You really are a clueless pillock."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 8:05:33 PM UTC-4, danny burstein wrote:
In Jim Joyce writes:

[snip]

[...]

I remember reading that issue of Mad magazine. A tear, indeed.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-22 15:06, wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 16:52:07 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)

T writes:
[...]

Moonshine is raw distillate that has not been aged in charred barrels.

Fore-shots of the distillate will contain some lower boiling methanol
and must be discarded.

A chemistry professor told our class that during prohibition he would
run analyses for bootleggers to make sure the booze was safe. He said
there were more people with blindness due to methanol contamination
going to the hospital then there were pregnant women delivering babies.

I heard a caution on TV this am that a lot of hand sanitizers from
Mexico contained methanol and should be discarded. The hazardous
warning is mainly aimed at alcoholics who may drink the stuff.

A shot of methanol can kill you and a little less can blind you. Trace
amounts present in a lot of alcoholic beverages and food will not harm you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 23:15:38 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)

On 6/18/20 7:29 PM, T wrote:

[...]

Which is still a small fraction of the number of people that they had
to interview to find a sucker. As I said, all it indicates is that you
can find ignorance if you look for it hard enough. It doesn't say
anything about environmentalists as a group.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-22 15:46,

On 2020-06-22 15:06,
wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 16:52:07 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)

T writes:
[...]

Picked up two bottle two weeks ago, but none since.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-22 22:43, wrote:

=20
I haven't see isopropanol in a store for months.
=20

Picked up two bottle two weeks ago, but none since.

I've got a 5-gallon can of optical grade (used to clean
optical fibers) isopropal that I use as a solvent for
shellac. Should last forever.

It is a good idea if you are going to use it often to add something to
it that helps your skin from excessive dryness.

I see also that a bit of water is needed:

https://blog.gotopac.com/2017/05/15/...-ipa-used-for/

Reminds me in my student days swiping a bottle of 200 proof alcohol from
the lab.

I showed it to a friend and he took the top off and took a swig. I
though we were going to have to take him to the hospital.

I also recall an incident years ago with a 5 gallon can of isopropanol
found sitting around in storage. There was a big concern of peroxide
formation. Our safety people carefully transported it to a remote area
on the grounds and shot it up with a 22 rifle starting at the top and
working down in case the peroxides at the bottom exploded. Fortunately
nothing happened.

If your can of isopropanol has had a lot of air exposure you might be
alert for this problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-22 15:06, wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 16:52:07 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)

T writes:
[...]

If you are distilling fermented sugar, there shouldn't be any
methanol. The prohibition introduced denatured alcohol and they added
methanol as the denaturing agent. You could try to distill that out
but the boiling points are so close it was hard to do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 15:09:38 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

writes:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 23:15:38 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)

On 6/18/20 7:29 PM, T wrote:

[snip]

Don't forget to add nitrogen to your tires to help improve mileage.
(?_?)

I also use Diydrogen Monoxide to wash my car.ÀšÃ‚Â* Removes
[...]

If they got the people who organized the rally and the people who
spoke, it does point out how easily that crowd was swayed.
It probably had more to do with the mindset of the people who go to
these things. They were there to be ****ed off about anything that was
presented and this was presented in that venue.
I do find people who identify as environmentalists are quick to
condemn damned near anything if it is presented right. It is more like
a cult religion as opposed to the science of ecology.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-22 15:46,

On 2020-06-22 15:06,
wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 16:52:07 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)

T writes:
[...]

Up here you just need to ask the pharmacist and he'll dig out a
bottle for you. They will NOT put it on the shelf untill the supply
catches up
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 15:09:38 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

writes:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 23:15:38 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)

On 6/18/20 7:29 PM, T wrote:

[...]

Either way it says about the same about Americans as
Environmentalists. You have a certain portion who are educated,
another portion who are uneducated, and the rest who are badly
missinformed -- The proportion varies a LOT depending on what part of
the country you are in, among other "variables"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-22 15:06, wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 16:52:07 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)

Bull****.

The prohibition introduced denatured alcohol and they added
methanol as the denaturing agent. You could try to distill that
out but the boiling points are so close it was hard to do.

More bull****, it is in fact trivial to do with a reflux still. You discard
the
first run from the still and do that by volume if you cant analyse the
alcohol.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Jun 2020 05:17:02 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

pamela about Rodent Speed:
"His off the cuff expertise demonstrates how little he knows..."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-22 15:06, wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 16:52:07 GMT,
(Scott
Lurndal)

T writes:
[...]

run analyses for bootleggers to make sure the booze was safe.Â* He said
there were more people with blindness due to methanol contamination
going to the hospital then there were pregnant women delivering babies.

I heard a caution on TV this am that a lot of hand sanitizers from
Mexico contained methanol and should be discarded.Â* The hazardous
warning is mainly aimed at alcoholics who may drink the stuff.

A shot of methanol can kill you and a little less can blind you.Â* Trace
amounts present in a lot of alcoholic beverages and food will not
harm you.

If you are distilling fermented sugar, there shouldn't be any methanol.

Bull****.

The prohibition introduced denatured alcohol and they added
methanol as the denaturing agent. You could try to distill that
out but the boiling points are so close it was hard to do.

More bull****, it is in fact trivial to do with a reflux still. You
discard the
first run from the still and do that by volume if you cant analyse the
alcohol.

I would not have thought of that either until looking it up.