Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_28_] Frank[_28_] is offline

Default Pure gas vs E85

On 2020-06-22 22:43, wrote:

=20
I haven't see isopropanol in a store for months.
=20

Picked up two bottle two weeks ago, but none since.

I've got a 5-gallon can of optical grade (used to clean
optical fibers) isopropal that I use as a solvent for
shellac. Should last forever.

It is a good idea if you are going to use it often to add something to
it that helps your skin from excessive dryness.

I see also that a bit of water is needed:

https://blog.gotopac.com/2017/05/15/...-ipa-used-for/

Reminds me in my student days swiping a bottle of 200 proof alcohol from
the lab.

I showed it to a friend and he took the top off and took a swig. I
though we were going to have to take him to the hospital.

I also recall an incident years ago with a 5 gallon can of isopropanol
found sitting around in storage. There was a big concern of peroxide
formation. Our safety people carefully transported it to a remote area
on the grounds and shot it up with a 22 rifle starting at the top and
working down in case the peroxides at the bottom exploded. Fortunately
nothing happened.

If your can of isopropanol has had a lot of air exposure you might be
alert for this problem.