Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toyota keys (why do they lock themselves in the car?)

These are the key fobs that lock themselves in the car!
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4828475keyfob.jpg

It takes one key to open the car, and two of those doohickies to start the
car with the one key that opened the car. I don't understand why.

Anyway, I borrowed a friend's Corolla for the weekend and just now I had to
ask her to let me back into the car because the car locks itself after an
unknown period of time without any user intervention whatsoever.

What's with that?
She says the car locks itself all the time on its own schedule.

Is there a way for her to turn this off so it can be normal?
Is there a way to make it so that just the key starts the car?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 10:31:27 PM UTC-5, June Bug wrote:

These are the key fobs that lock themselves in the car!
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4828475keyfob.jpg

It takes one key to open the car, and two of those doohickies to start the
car with the one key that opened the car. I don't understand why.

Anyway, I borrowed a friend's Corolla for the weekend and just now I had to
ask her to let me back into the car because the car locks itself after an
unknown period of time without any user intervention whatsoever.

What's with that?
She says the car locks itself all the time on its own schedule.

Is there a way for her to turn this off so it can be normal?
Is there a way to make it so that just the key starts the car?

Does the car not have a key pad on the door column that you enter a
series of numbers to lock or unlock it if you don't have the key
fob on you? Some of the newer cars won't lock if the key fob is
left inside the vehicle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The date is 24/09/2017 22:35

Does the car not have a key pad on the door column that you enter a
series of numbers to lock or unlock it if you don't have the key
fob on you? Some of the newer cars won't lock if the key fob is
left inside the vehicle.

No keypad.
Only a driver door lock, a trunk lock, and an ignition lock.
But you need all three (apparently) items to start the car.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/24/2017 11:31 PM, June Bug wrote:
These are the key fobs that lock themselves in the car!
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4828475keyfob.jpg

It takes one key to open the car, and two of those doohickies to start the
car with the one key that opened the car. I don't understand why.

Anyway, I borrowed a friend's Corolla for the weekend and just now I had to
ask her to let me back into the car because the car locks itself after an
unknown period of time without any user intervention whatsoever.

What's with that?
She says the car locks itself all the time on its own schedule.

Is there a way for her to turn this off so it can be normal?
Is there a way to make it so that just the key starts the car?

My wife has a 2016 Camry and the only thing you need to start the car is the key.Â* The doors don't lock by themselves.Â* RTFM, google it or pester your Toyota service department.

Of course, we never leave the keys in the car because there are too many thieving democrats lurking in the bushes and/or hiding under rocks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 11:31:27 PM UTC-4, June Bug wrote:
These are the key fobs that lock themselves in the car!
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4828475keyfob.jpg

They don't lock themselves in the car. The driver who is too dumb
to remove the key from the ignition locks the keys in the car.

My husband's Toyota works just like your friend's Corolla. He has
never locked the keys in the car.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/17 5:33 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 11:31:27 PM UTC-4, June Bug wrote:
These are the key fobs that lock themselves in the car!
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4828475keyfob.jpg

They don't lock themselves in the car. The driver who is too dumb
to remove the key from the ignition locks the keys in the car.

My husband's Toyota works just like your friend's Corolla. He has
never locked the keys in the car.

Cindy Hamilton

Is it too soon to blame the locked cars on the people who can't
live five minutes without their phone? Can't phones unlock cars yet?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/17 5:42 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 9/25/17 5:33 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 11:31:27 PM UTC-4, June Bug wrote:
These are the key fobs that lock themselves in the car!
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4828475keyfob.jpg

They don't lock themselves in the car.Â* The driver who is too dumb
to remove the key from the ignition locks the keys in the car.

My husband's Toyota works just like your friend's Corolla.Â* He has
never locked the keys in the car.
Cindy Hamilton

Â*Â*Â*Â* Is it too soon to blame the locked cars on the people who can't
live five minutes without their phone?Â*Â* Can'tÂ* phones unlock cars yet?

I got curious so did a quick search. It looks like a couple
people have had this
problem.
https://community.cartalk.com/t/doors-lock-automatically-while-outside-of-car/48399

or http://alturl.com/wubiq
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2017 4:34 AM, Bubba wrote:
[...]

I have a 2016 Forester with ignition key and chauffeur key. I wanted to
whittle down the fob on the chauffeur key to carry in my wallet but was
told it contains a chip in it needed to start the car.

With all the electronics in a car today you may be able to get into the
software and reprogram some items. I did it recently with the oil
change warning light coming on too soon as dealer had set it to sell
twice the oil changes needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The date is 25/09/2017 03:33

They don't lock themselves in the car. The driver who is too dumb
to remove the key from the ignition locks the keys in the car.

There is absolutely no doubt the car locks itself for a few reasons.

One is that my friend says it does it all the time but that's when her
three doohickies are in her purse or in her husband's pant's pocket.

The second is that I leave my keys in the car when the car is parked in my
driveway, and even though this is a borrowed car, I habitually leave my
keys and glasses in the car - which is what I did.

So there is no way that the keys were "jumbled" or "pushed" or anything
since we got out of the car and just left it there without locking it.

Given that this has happened to the three people who used this car
separately and at various times and very consistently, you can rest assured
that the car is locking itself.

The question is why and how.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2017 6:33 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 11:31:27 PM UTC-4, June Bug wrote:
These are the key fobs that lock themselves in the car!
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4828475keyfob.jpg

They don't lock themselves in the car. The driver who is too dumb
to remove the key from the ignition locks the keys in the car.

My husband's Toyota works just like your friend's Corolla. He has
never locked the keys in the car.

Cindy Hamilton

There are times you may want to leave the key in the car while working
on it. Or even to run back into the house for something you forgot.
That is not a feature I'd want on my car even though I can unlock it
from my phone or computer. .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2017 6:42 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 9/25/17 5:33 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 11:31:27 PM UTC-4, June Bug wrote:
These are the key fobs that lock themselves in the car!
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4828475keyfob.jpg

They don't lock themselves in the car.Â* The driver who is too dumb
to remove the key from the ignition locks the keys in the car.

My husband's Toyota works just like your friend's Corolla.Â* He has
never locked the keys in the car.
Cindy Hamilton

Â*Â*Â*Â* Is it too soon to blame the locked cars on the people who can't
live five minutes without their phone?Â*Â* Can'tÂ* phones unlock cars yet?

Yes, I can lock/unlock, start it, turn the defroster on, set the
temperature.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2017 8:13 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 9/25/17 5:42 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 9/25/17 5:33 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 11:31:27 PM UTC-4, June Bug wrote:
These are the key fobs that lock themselves in the car!
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4828475keyfob.jpg

They don't lock themselves in the car.Â* The driver who is too dumb
to remove the key from the ignition locks the keys in the car.

My husband's Toyota works just like your friend's Corolla.Â* He has
never locked the keys in the car.
Cindy Hamilton

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Is it too soon to blame the locked cars on the people who can't
live five minutes without their phone?Â*Â* Can'tÂ* phones unlock cars yet?

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* I got curious so did a quick search.Â*Â* It looks like a couple
people have had this
problem.
https://community.cartalk.com/t/doors-lock-automatically-while-outside-of-car/48399

Â*Â* orÂ*Â* http://alturl.com/wubiq

IMO, a good reason to NOT buy a Toyota unless it can be disabled. I
prefer to decide when my car is locked or not.

The pro thief will get into your car in seconds, locked or not. The
amateur will cause damage trying to get into it. I rarely lock my car.
It was broken into twice and one time I lost a quart of oil laying in
the back seat. The locked cars around me had broken windows, pry marks
and scratches.

Friend of mine had her car locked and alarmed. It was parked right
outside her office window when it was stolen in broad daylight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 9:41:15 AM UTC-4, June Bug wrote:
The date is 25/09/2017 03:33

[...]

The car locks itself as a security feature. The driver who leaves the
keys in the car is inconvenience him/herself.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 25-Sep-17 9:39 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

The car locks itself as a security feature. The driver who leaves the
keys in the car is inconvenience him/herself.

And a "feature" can be too clever by half, oftentimes...there are many
valid reasons for not wanting to have to remove the stinkin' keys from
the car immediately that it's more of a nuisance than a help.

As Ed says, if a real thief is after it, it'll be gone in an eyeblink,
lock or no lock; about the only effective technique is one that actually
disables the car totally.

Looking for instances, it appears there is a design that if unlock with
the key fob but don't open door within 30/60 sec, the vehicle will
automagically relock.

I couldn't find a factory instance that conclusively indicated to me it
_should_ lock itself with the key in the ignition when just exiting the
vehicle, but there were many complaints on user forums of such behavior.

Many of those seemed to end up as being various electrical faults in the
locking electrical systems...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 25-Sep-17 8:41 AM, June Bug wrote:

that the car is locking itself.

The question is why and how.

See what wrote to smug Cindy as well, but I'd suggest reading the
operators manual carefully; it _should_ describe the system
functionality, _presuming_ there isn't an aftermarket security system
installed--I saw several comments that some of those apparently do have
such a "feature" that isn't factory.

If can't get satisfaction on whether this is expected behavior from that
venue, I'd just go ask a dealer if this is supposed to be the way it
behaves and how to reprogram it to a more user-friendly setting.

I found doc on the self-locking feature that is tied to the gearshift
and moving or not and that has some four options one of which is "off"
but that has no bearing on locking when ignition is off unless there is
a failure in the system causing a spurious locking action.

What there may be in newer "smart" systems I couldn't really find full
details on; hence the suggestion to read manual first, then go ask.

I also agree w/ Ed P, though; if it does that and I can't reprogram it
to not, I ain't buying the vehicle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 10:34:36 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

That was my theory too when I had a Fiat Spyder convertible and was
living in Boston and LA. I figured they would just slice the top.
So I put an alarm in and left it unlocked. Twice the alarm went off
because someone had opened the door, nothing taken because there
was nothing to take and no damage.

Friend of mine had her car locked and alarmed. It was parked right
outside her office window when it was stolen in broad daylight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 10:39:57 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

And leaving the car open to be stolen very easily. There have been
civil cases where someone got killed or seriously hurt by a car
that was stolen while the owner carelessly left it running while
at the convenience store. PRobably have been some where the keys were
left in it while it's in the driveway too. How liable that makes
you for potential damages, IDK. But leaving keys in the car,
when it's in the driveway isn't a good idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2017 11:17 AM, trader_4 wrote:

The car locks itself as a security feature. The driver who leaves the
keys in the car is inconvenience him/herself.

Cindy Hamilton

And leaving the car open to be stolen very easily. There have been
civil cases where someone got killed or seriously hurt by a car
that was stolen while the owner carelessly left it running while
at the convenience store. PRobably have been some where the keys were
left in it while it's in the driveway too. How liable that makes
you for potential damages, IDK. But leaving keys in the car,
when it's in the driveway isn't a good idea.

Most remote starters will allow you to exit the car and lock it. If you
were to open it and try to drive away, engine dies. They will not allow
you to start unless the doors are locked too.

Every winter cars are stolen by people that run out and start the car to
warm up while finishing their coffee. In one town in one morning four
cars were stolen like that. I know a guy that never took his keys out
of the car too. Poor practice to say the least.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 3:34:51 AM UTC-5, Bubba wrote:

My wife has a 2016 Camry and the only thing you need to start the car is the key.Â* The doors don't lock by themselves.Â* RTFM, google it or pester your Toyota service department.

Of course, we never leave the keys in the car because there are too many thieving democrats lurking in the bushes and/or hiding under rocks.

Hahahahaaaaa!!! I don't leave keys in my vehicle either as there
are too many thieves around but I don't have a clue as to their
political leanings.

But as to why the original poster left the keys in the car is a
mystery to me and it being a borrowed car on top of that.

I think the lesson learned here is to never lend your car. Especially
to people who are careless with the keys.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,alt.slack

On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 08:07:12 -0700, "fake vet Scatboi Colon Edmund J.
Burke" wrote:

On 9/24/2017 8:31 PM, June Bug wrote:
These are the key fobs that lock themselves in the car!
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4828475keyfob.jpg

It takes one key to open the car, and two of those doohickies to start the
car with the one key that opened the car. I don't understand why.

Anyway, I borrowed a friend's Corolla for the weekend and just now I had to
ask her to let me back into the car because the car locks itself after an
unknown period of time without any user intervention whatsoever.

What's with that?
She says the car locks itself all the time on its own schedule.

Is there a way for her to turn this off so it can be normal?
Is there a way to make it so that just the key starts the car?

This is the main reason the car keeps locking its doors.
http://tinyurl.com/yd2xrz8b

To keep moulies like YOU out!

--
Iudaei orbem terrarum infestant

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 10:00:01 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

On 25-Sep-17 8:41 AM, June Bug wrote:

that the car is locking itself.

The question is why and how.

See what wrote to smug Cindy as well, but I'd suggest reading the
operators manual carefully; it _should_ describe the system
functionality, _presuming_ there isn't an aftermarket security system
installed--I saw several comments that some of those apparently do have
such a "feature" that isn't factory.

This is a borrowed car the o.p. is asking about. I seriously doubt she
is going to be heading to the dealership or reading the manual to over-
ride this problem. Evidently she is careless with other people's
property and leaves the key in the car and then whines she can't unlock
the doors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2017 10:34 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/25/2017 8:13 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 9/25/17 5:42 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 9/25/17 5:33 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 11:31:27 PM UTC-4, June Bug wrote:
These are the key fobs that lock themselves in the car!
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4828475keyfob.jpg

They don't lock themselves in the car.Â* The driver who is too dumb
to remove the key from the ignition locks the keys in the car.

My husband's Toyota works just like your friend's Corolla.Â* He has
never locked the keys in the car.
Cindy Hamilton

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Is it too soon to blame the locked cars on the people who can't
live five minutes without their phone?Â*Â* Can'tÂ* phones unlock cars yet?

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* I got curious so did a quick search.Â*Â* It looks like a couple
people have had this
problem.
https://community.cartalk.com/t/doors-lock-automatically-while-outside-of-car/48399

Â*Â*Â* orÂ*Â* http://alturl.com/wubiq

IMO, a good reason to NOT buy a Toyota unless it can be disabled.Â* I
prefer to decide when my car is locked or not.

The pro thief will get into your car in seconds, locked or not.Â* The
amateur will cause damage trying to get into it.Â* I rarely lock my car.
It was broken into twice and one time I lost a quart of oil laying in
the back seat.Â* The locked cars around me had broken windows, pry marks
and scratches.

Friend of mine had her car locked and alarmed.Â* It was parked right
outside her office window when it was stolen in broad daylight.

I always lock mine but make sure not to leave anything exposed to make
it attractive to a thief. Some women will get out of the car, put their
purse in the trunk and leave. Thieves were lurking, saw this and
smashed window, opened trunk and stole purse.

I walk in a park and one new years morning got back to the car, guy I
knew walked up to his car right next to mine and saw door lock smashed
in and case with his cell phone stolen.

Locked older cars are easy to steal. Wife lost her 10 year old Mazda 20
years ago while attending a ballet lesson in a mall parking lot with car
locked and directly under a street lamp. It was found 3 days later on
cinder blocks in a bad part of town. The only part not taken was the
old radio. Tires and spare were gone as was everything under the hood.

I think most newer cars will not work without the key as the keys have
chips and while thief may start car, it will not keep running so if
there is nothing to steal then not locking may be OK.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2017 11:53 AM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 10:00:01 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

On 25-Sep-17 8:41 AM, June Bug wrote:

that the car is locking itself.

The question is why and how.

See what wrote to smug Cindy as well, but I'd suggest reading the
operators manual carefully; it _should_ describe the system
functionality, _presuming_ there isn't an aftermarket security system
installed--I saw several comments that some of those apparently do have
such a "feature" that isn't factory.

This is a borrowed car the o.p. is asking about. I seriously doubt she
is going to be heading to the dealership or reading the manual to over-
ride this problem. Evidently she is careless with other people's
property and leaves the key in the car and then whines she can't unlock
the doors.

I'm not going to condemn her just yet. How long before the doors lock?
She may have been in view of the car and just got out for a short time
to get the mail, lock the house, get the shopping bag or some other
simple thing we've all done. Leaving the key under those circumstances
is not careless at all. Self locking would be a surprise for most of us
that don't have that "feature" I don't want my car to be my nanny.
Posted to alt.checkmate,alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.war.vietnam

Checkmate! In article , burkesgurlz@std-
girls.com says...

On 9/24/2017 8:31 PM, June Bug wrote:
These are the key fobs that lock themselves in the car!
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4828475keyfob.jpg

It takes one key to open the car, and two of those doohickies to start the
car with the one key that opened the car. I don't understand why.

Anyway, I borrowed a friend's Corolla for the weekend and just now I had to
ask her to let me back into the car because the car locks itself after an
unknown period of time without any user intervention whatsoever.

What's with that?
She says the car locks itself all the time on its own schedule.

Is there a way for her to turn this off so it can be normal?
Is there a way to make it so that just the key starts the car?

This is the main reason the car keeps locking its doors.
http://tinyurl.com/yd2xrz8b

Does her car start with a fob? My car has a fob. No key in the common
form we all grew up with... it's a magical fob, with its very own fob
docking hole. If you don't have your fob, you aren't going anywhere, and
you have to go directly to a BMW dealer to get a new fob, and they're
expensive... because they're fobs, after all.

--
Another hand-crafted post from...
Checkmate

Please visit me at alt.checkmate, the new
go-to group for the discerning troll...

In loving memory of The Battle Kitten
May 2010-February 12, 2017
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/17 12:17 PM, Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
[...]

'16 Toyo Avalon Limited doesn't have a docking hole; fob just needs to
be in/near the car.

--
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those
who speak it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/17 11:41 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/25/2017 11:17 AM, trader_4 wrote:

The car locks itself as a security feature.Â* The driver who leaves the
keys in the car is inconvenience him/herself.

Cindy Hamilton

And leaving the car open to be stolen very easily.Â* There have been
civil cases where someone got killed or seriously hurt by a car
that was stolen while the owner carelessly left it running while
at the convenience store.Â* PRobably have been some where the keys were
left in it while it's in the driveway too.Â* How liable that makes
you for potential damages, IDK.Â* But leaving keys in the car,
when it's in the driveway isn't a good idea.

Most remote starters will allow you to exit the car and lock it.Â* If you
were to open it and try to drive away, engine dies.Â* They will not allow
you to start unless the doors are locked too.

Every winter cars are stolen by people that run out and start the car to
warm up while finishing their coffee.Â* In one town in one morning four
cars were stolen like that.Â* I know a guy that never took his keys out
of the car too.Â* Poor practice to say the least.

Those pre-warmers are pussies and deserve to have their rides stolen ;-)

--
$20 trillion debt, North Korea firing missiles, devastation from major
hurricanes and 98% of media oxygen is consumed over meaningless
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2017 12:36 PM, Feckless John wrote:
[...]

Same with my Genesis and it knows if the fob is out of the car by inches
too. If you leave the fob in the car you cannot lock the doors from the
outside either.
Posted to alt.checkmate,alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.war.vietnam

On 9/25/2017 12:17 PM, Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
[...]

Our new Subaru won't start without a fob, but it has no 'docking hole'.
As long as you have it in your pocket the car will start when you push
the button. Also, you have to push the button (on the fob) to lock
/unlock the doors once you exit the vehicle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2017 8:46 AM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 3:34:51 AM UTC-5, Bubba wrote:
My wife has a 2016 Camry and the only thing you need to start the car is the key.Â* The doors don't lock by themselves.Â* RTFM, google it or pester your Toyota service department.

Of course, we never leave the keys in the car because there are too many thieving democrats lurking in the bushes and/or hiding under rocks.

Hahahahaaaaa!!! I don't leave keys in my vehicle either as there
are too many thieves around but I don't have a clue as to their
political leanings.

If someone is carjacking, they're not a republican.

Republicans typically own businesses and congress-critters so they can
bilk the taxpayers out of billions with dirty under-the-table deals.

Posted to alt.checkmate,alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.war.vietnam

Checkmate! In article ,
says...

[...]

Yeah, my fob has lock and unlock buttons, but it has a little hole you
put it in before you press the start button. I don't know if it'll still
start if I keep my fob in my fob pocket. I've never tried that, but I
doubt it. Isn't it weird that Levi Strauss was making pants with a
little fob pocket long before fobs even existed? The man was a
visionary.

--
Another hand-crafted post from...
Checkmate
Usenet author, poet, comedian, and philosopher.
Copyright © 2017
all rights reserved

Please visit me at alt.checkmate, the new
go-to group for the discerning troll...

In loving memory of The Battle Kitten
May 2010-February 12, 2017

Posted to alt.checkmate,alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.war.vietnam

On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 11:58:51 -0700, Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:

Checkmate! In article ,
says...

On 9/25/2017 12:17 PM, Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:
Warning! Always wear ANSI approved safety goggles when reading posts
by Checkmate! In article ,
burkesgurlz@std-
girls.com says...

[...]

My new Mazda hatchback has a key fob to start the car. It can be left in
my pants pocket or my purse and it still starts the car as long as it's
in the car. Unless the battery in the key fob dies and then nothing
which happened to me recently. Changed the battery and all was good.
Posted to alt.checkmate,alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.war.vietnam

On 9/25/2017 3:06 PM, pandora wrote:

My new Mazda hatchback has a key fob to start the car. It can be left in
my pants pocket or my purse and it still starts the car as long as it's
in the car. Unless the battery in the key fob dies and then nothing
which happened to me recently. Changed the battery and all was good.

If it happens again, try holding the fob right next to the start button.
If the battery is weak it may give enough signal to get the car
started so you can go to the battery store for a new one.
Posted to alt.checkmate,alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.war.vietnam

On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 16:17:57 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 9/25/2017 3:06 PM, pandora wrote:

My new Mazda hatchback has a key fob to start the car. It can be left
in my pants pocket or my purse and it still starts the car as long as
it's in the car. Unless the battery in the key fob dies and then
nothing which happened to me recently. Changed the battery and all was
good.

If it happens again, try holding the fob right next to the start button.
If the battery is weak it may give enough signal to get the car
started so you can go to the battery store for a new one.

I know that now. That's exactly what the tow truck driver did when I
called him. Was *I* embarrassed. You betcha!
Posted to alt.checkmate,alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.war.vietnam

In article , ricksabian1
@gmail.com says...

Our new Subaru won't start without a fob, but it has no 'docking hole'.
As long as you have it in your pocket the car will start when you push
the button. Also, you have to push the button (on the fob) to lock
/unlock the doors once you exit the vehicle.

Yeah, my fob has lock and unlock buttons, but it has a little hole you
put it in before you press the start button. I don't know if it'll still
start if I keep my fob in my fob pocket. I've never tried that, but I
doubt it. Isn't it weird that Levi Strauss was making pants with a

That hole is probably the 'emergency start hole'. If the battery in the
fob is dead you put the fob in that hole. By a type of transformer
action the fob will get enough power to activate the start system. The
fob should work if the battery is good just being in you pocket.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 25-Sep-17 10:53 AM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

This is a borrowed car the o.p. is asking about. I seriously doubt she
is going to be heading to the dealership or reading the manual to over-
ride this problem. ...

Can't read the manual, even? Give me a break...

It didn't say for how long of a loan; I inferred more than for just an
afternoon or it wouldn't have been an issue worth raising; would've
already returned it.

If asked, it's a problem; why not do what can to solve it?

And again, there can be very good reasons to have left the keys
in...while not the usual instance, on the farm I rarely take the keys
out of anything, ever. OTOH, if I go to the store in town I do take
them. I'd be exceedingly upset if I went out to the tractor the next
morning and it had locked itself up on me, or one of the trucks...

Like real estate, "context!, context!" matters.

Posted to alt.checkmate,alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.war.vietnam

Checkmate! In article asWdnb01MfeI-1TEnZ2dnUU7-
, says...

On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 16:17:57 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 9/25/2017 3:06 PM, pandora wrote:

My new Mazda hatchback has a key fob to start the car. It can be left
in my pants pocket or my purse and it still starts the car as long as
it's in the car. Unless the battery in the key fob dies and then
nothing which happened to me recently. Changed the battery and all was
good.

If it happens again, try holding the fob right next to the start button.
If the battery is weak it may give enough signal to get the car
started so you can go to the battery store for a new one.

I know that now. That's exactly what the tow truck driver did when I
called him. Was *I* embarrassed. You betcha!

My ex once called for a tow because her car wouldn't start. She didn't
have it in park. LOL.

I used to get service calls where people would say their circuit was
dead. I'd ask them over the phone if they checked the breaker, because I
feel bad if I have to drive all the way out there, flip a breaker, and
then charge them a minimum $60. I'd even explain to them that you can't
just push it to the on position if it's tripped, you have to push it all
the way to off first to cock the mechanism inside, and then to on.
They'd always insist that they did all that, so I'd get out there, and at
least half a dozen times, all I had to do was exactly what they had
insisted they had already done.

I remember one poor secretary who was afraid her boss would get mad at
her when he found out it was just a tripped breaker, so I had to be a
little creative when I wrote up the invoice.

--
Another hand-crafted post from...
Checkmate
Usenet author, poet, comedian, and philosopher.
Copyright © 2017
all rights reserved

Please visit me at alt.checkmate, the new
go-to group for the discerning troll...

In loving memory of The Battle Kitten
May 2010-February 12, 2017
Posted to alt.checkmate,alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.war.vietnam

Checkmate! In article MPG.3433372c949d198f989688
@news.east.earthlink.net, says...

In article , ricksabian1
@gmail.com says...

Our new Subaru won't start without a fob, but it has no 'docking hole'.
As long as you have it in your pocket the car will start when you push
the button. Also, you have to push the button (on the fob) to lock
/unlock the doors once you exit the vehicle.

Yeah, my fob has lock and unlock buttons, but it has a little hole you
put it in before you press the start button. I don't know if it'll still
start if I keep my fob in my fob pocket. I've never tried that, but I
doubt it. Isn't it weird that Levi Strauss was making pants with a

That hole is probably the 'emergency start hole'. If the battery in the
fob is dead you put the fob in that hole. By a type of transformer
action the fob will get enough power to activate the start system. The
fob should work if the battery is good just being in you pocket.

Nope. It's a brand new fob directly from BMW. You push the fob into a
hole, and it locks in place. Then you push the start button directly
above it. You can't even remove the fob unless you stop the engine
first, and then push the fob inwards, which causes a release mechanism to
let go of it. I tried to start the car today without putting the fob in
the fob hole, but it won't start unless you fob-**** it first.

--
Another hand-crafted post from...
Checkmate
Usenet author, poet, comedian, and philosopher.
Copyright © 2017
all rights reserved

Please visit me at alt.checkmate, the new
go-to group for the discerning troll...

In loving memory of The Battle Kitten
May 2010-February 12, 2017
Posted to alt.checkmate,alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.war.vietnam

On 9/25/2017 7:30 PM, Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:

[...]

Aside from unlocking the door, it is just a fancy electronic key. Mine
never comes out of my pocket even to lock and unlock doors. If the
doors ar locked, I can open it just standing in back of the car. That
has been very handy..
Posted to alt.home.repair

The date is 25/09/2017 05:13

I got curious so did a quick search. It looks like a couple
people have had this
problem.
https://community.cartalk.com/t/doors-lock-automatically-while-outside-of-car/48399

or http://alturl.com/wubiq

Thanks for finding that. It's the same model and year. I thought the
borrowed car was a Corolla but it's a 2005 Camry LE (not a Corolla).

I still have the borrowed car, and I found the owners manual in the
glovebox which talks about the transponder in the key causing the car to
immobilize and that the doors automatically lock under most conditions (it
was confusing what conditions they were).

Even though it's very confusing what causes the car to automatically lock,
it's clear that it does that.

In this case, there are three "things" that are on the keyring.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4828475keyfob.jpg

1. The key (which is a non-chip all metal duplicate key) & is mandatory
2. The immobilizer (which is mandatory & must be "near" to start the car)
3. The automatic unlock/lock doohickey (this is optional)

When I leave the car, the doors automatically lock.
Apparently that's how Toyota has it set up.

I don't know if that setting can be changed to NOT lock the car, but what
it means, in the end, is that you can never just leave the keys in the car
when you park it overnight - which is what I normally do with all my own
cars and everyone in my family does the same.

Out here, we don't lock our cars and we leave the keys in the tray
overnight, but we also live in a very safe area and we don't do that when
we go shopping and park at the malls.