Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Toyota keys (why do they lock themselves in the car?)

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 10:39:57 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 9:41:15 AM UTC-4, June Bug wrote:
The date is 25/09/2017 03:33

They don't lock themselves in the car. The driver who is too dumb
to remove the key from the ignition locks the keys in the car.

There is absolutely no doubt the car locks itself for a few reasons.

One is that my friend says it does it all the time but that's when her
three doohickies are in her purse or in her husband's pant's pocket.

The second is that I leave my keys in the car when the car is parked in my
driveway, and even though this is a borrowed car, I habitually leave my
keys and glasses in the car - which is what I did.

So there is no way that the keys were "jumbled" or "pushed" or anything
since we got out of the car and just left it there without locking it.

Given that this has happened to the three people who used this car
separately and at various times and very consistently, you can rest assured
that the car is locking itself.

The question is why and how.

The car locks itself as a security feature. The driver who leaves the
keys in the car is inconvenience him/herself.

Cindy Hamilton

And leaving the car open to be stolen very easily. There have been
civil cases where someone got killed or seriously hurt by a car
that was stolen while the owner carelessly left it running while
at the convenience store. PRobably have been some where the keys were
left in it while it's in the driveway too. How liable that makes
you for potential damages, IDK. But leaving keys in the car,
when it's in the driveway isn't a good idea.