Posted to alt.home.repair
June Bug June Bug is offline

Default Toyota keys (why do they lock themselves in the car?)

The date is 25/09/2017 05:13

I got curious so did a quick search. It looks like a couple
people have had this
problem.
https://community.cartalk.com/t/doors-lock-automatically-while-outside-of-car/48399

or http://alturl.com/wubiq

Thanks for finding that. It's the same model and year. I thought the
borrowed car was a Corolla but it's a 2005 Camry LE (not a Corolla).

I still have the borrowed car, and I found the owners manual in the
glovebox which talks about the transponder in the key causing the car to
immobilize and that the doors automatically lock under most conditions (it
was confusing what conditions they were).

Even though it's very confusing what causes the car to automatically lock,
it's clear that it does that.

In this case, there are three "things" that are on the keyring.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4828475keyfob.jpg

1. The key (which is a non-chip all metal duplicate key) & is mandatory
2. The immobilizer (which is mandatory & must be "near" to start the car)
3. The automatic unlock/lock doohickey (this is optional)

When I leave the car, the doors automatically lock.
Apparently that's how Toyota has it set up.

I don't know if that setting can be changed to NOT lock the car, but what
it means, in the end, is that you can never just leave the keys in the car
when you park it overnight - which is what I normally do with all my own
cars and everyone in my family does the same.

Out here, we don't lock our cars and we leave the keys in the tray
overnight, but we also live in a very safe area and we don't do that when
we go shopping and park at the malls.