Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can't repair home office printer, so need a new one

On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 13:36:59 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

So, I'm thinking it's time to chuck this printer that's at least 10
years old and get a new one.

Any recommendations? I like inkjet, color, and all-in-ones
(printer/scanner/copier...)

--
Maggie

If you got 10 years out of it, you're doing well. Most people buy a
inkjet printer, use it till the ink runs out, finds that the ink costs
as much as another printer, and they toss the printer in the garbage and
buy a new one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm going cross-eyed looking at ads for home office printers. Every
time I look at the customer ratings and comments, it seems I'll see
mixed reviews, many good ones and then some awful ones, which makes me
want to go look at the next machine.

My current printer is an HP Photosmart that keeps having an ink error.
In the past I've been able to do a master reset, which allows me to
print in black only, because that's all I need right now, but a 3rd
color cartridge ran out of ink and set up that ink error again. The
master reset hasn't worked this time, and I've tried it about 10 times
thus far.

I can buy the color ink cartridges and install them, but it's no
guarantee that it will them allow a master reset. It had been leaking
one of the color cartridges, and that started all of a sudden, but
allowed me to print in black until now.

So, I'm thinking it's time to chuck this printer that's at least 10
years old and get a new one.

Any recommendations? I like inkjet, color, and all-in-ones
(printer/scanner/copier...)

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We have two of these inkjets in the business and they perform
admirably.

http://amzn.to/2dtdNMG

My personal preference is black and white lasers for 99% of our
printing and for the occasional color job, we have a shared color
laser.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

you prefer B&W lasers, but give a recommendation for an inkjet.

What is your recommendation for a B&W laser?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Obviously you are confused, the OP indicated she preferred color,
inkjet printers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 1:37:01 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
[...]

We have an Epson Workforce 635...even does 2-sided printing (slicker than sh*t). It has never jammed in 6 years and we use it a fair amount for church and technical stuff. 3-color does excellent photo printing and they're not dinky cartridges. *****5-stars
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Oct 2016 20:27:25 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

Obviously you are confused, the OP indicated she preferred color,
inkjet printers.

See http://www.toptenreviews.com/computers/printers/

Professional reviews and not by opinioned, biased actors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/4/2016 3:14 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 10/4/2016 11:46 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

We have two of these inkjets in the business and they perform
admirably.

http://amzn.to/2dtdNMG

My personal preference is black and white lasers for 99% of our
printing and for the occasional color job, we have a shared color
laser.

you prefer B&W lasers, but give a recommendation for an inkjet.

What is your recommendation for a B&W laser?

Brother HL-L2340DW

By and large, Brother laser printers are your best bet. Extremely
reliable, easy to set up, not at all temperamental, very affordable
printer and replacement toner cartridges/drums.

Amazon frequently runs them on Gold Box deals. The model above is
typically $99, but will run on sale for as low as $69-$75. Seems like
they'll have a Brother laser printer sale every 6-8 weeks or so, and
more often in November-December.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No, I'm not confused. I wanted a recommendation for a B&W laser.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 14:10:00 -0700, Taxed and Spent
wrote:

No, I'm not confused. I wanted a recommendation for a B&W laser.

http://www.toptenreviews.com/computers/printers/best-laser-printers/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-10-04, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

By and large, Brother laser printers are your best bet.

I tend to agree.

I'm on my 2nd Brother B/W laser printer. The first still works,
despite having been in 2 car accidents, stored in sub-zero shed, and
works ona Linux setup. My second is a FAX2840, which I needed cuz a
lotta govt agencies still demand docs be sent by FAX. Beware or
whether or not you have a 32 or 64 bit machine, as many Brother
drivers are 64 bit only.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Oct 2016, Stormin' Norman wrote:

My personal preference is black and white lasers for 99% of our
printing and for the occasional color job, we have a shared color
laser.

I am also a fan of having two printers (though I have three*). With fax
almost dead, does one really need a full all-in-one? I agree with the
Brother recommendation. For the B&W laser I have the Brother HL2280. It was
much cheaper three years ago. What it gives me is a convenient flatbed
copier in addition to a laser printer.

Over seven years ago I bought a color laser printer. Long since
discontinued. I rarely print in color. I only turn it on when I need it.

For my all-in-one I bought the older model of the Brother MFCJ6920DW:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EANUUDK

It gives me the feeder if I want to scan a stack. And most important to me,
it gives me an 11"x17" scanner for a reasonable price (it was cheaper back
when I bought it). I have never bought 11x17 paper and with the color laser
I don't use it to print at all.

* four if you count the Seiko label printer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My current unit is a Canon Maxify MB2020 - no complaints so far but
do NOT try to use aftermarket ink.
Any HP Officejet Pro unit will be decent. Their home printers are
pretty iffy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I would recomend a printer with separate ink tanks if you are doing
any volume at all - and field replaceable print heads are also a big
advantage. I have some (somewhere around 25?) officejet pro printers
some with over 600,000 prints on them but most around 20,000 more or
less. They are 8000s and I refill the ink 8 or 10 times a year each
and replace them when the date runs out or when they stop being
accepted by the printer. I get about 4 years or so out of each
printhead.

If you do very little printing the HP combination cartridge/printhead
with several colors combined are OK, particularly if you have a good
ink refill company nearby who can refill them for you at a reasonable
cost. I just HATE it when you run out of, say, yellow and the other 2
colors in the cartridge are still half full.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Okidata LED printer - hands down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Oct 2016 17:42:17 -0400, wrote:

Likely the same people who'd vote for Trump and for the same reason.
Ignorance of facts.

When do you get a vote?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Oct 2016 17:53:12 -0400, wrote:

Okidata LED printer - hands down.

$600-900 is a bit expensive for a home office printer.

Don.
www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We have 5 of the following personal b/w laser printers, one in each
manager's office. I have been extremely satisfied and impressed with
the machines.

http://amzn.to/2dtGXvi

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/4/2016 2:36 PM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

Have not been happy with my HP all in one. Could not get the fax set up
and scanner recently started giving me fits so I still use old fax
machine and scanner. There is a paucity of instructions coming with new
machines of all type (not just printers).

Over the years, HP's have evolved from accepting cartridges that you
could re-ink yourself, to others re-inked cartridges that cost much less
to only accepting cartridges of their own manufacture. They learned
what old folks working at Eastman Kodak told me when they said they made
no profit of their cameras but made a bundle on their film.
Don't know about other brands but while HP makes good printers, ink cost
may be far less with others.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/4/16 5:10 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
I wanted a recommendation for a B&W laser.

Brother lasers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm going cross-eyed looking at ads for home office printers. Every
time I look at the customer ratings and comments, it seems I'll see
mixed reviews, many good ones and then some awful ones, which makes me
want to go look at the next machine.
Any recommendations? I like inkjet, color, and all-in-ones
(printer/scanner/copier...)

I gave up on inkjet printers years ago. They're slow, the print bleeds if
it gets wet, and the ink cartridges dry up if you don't print regularly.

I also don't like all-in-one devices (printers, tv/dvd players, etc.). You
have to replace the entire machine even if a single part fails, and you
can't pick the best of each device (a standalone scanner is usually better
than what comes in the all-in-ones).

With that in mind, I highly recommend Brother laser printers. My main
printer is a Brother HL-5240DN with a second paper tray. It's fast,
produces great output, and can print to both sides of a page. Toner lasts a
long time also.

I also have a Xerox 6022 color laser that I have been very happy with. It
won't replace a photo printer, but for general office flyers, brochures,
cards, or generic color printouts it works great. It also takes up very
little space. My only gripe is it only comes in white.

My scanner is an Epson V500 flatbed scanner that also does a great job with
negatives.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/04/2016 06:36 PM, Muggles wrote:
So, I'm thinking it's time to chuck this printer that's at least 10
years old and get a new one.

Any recommendations? I like inkjet, color, and all-in-ones
(printer/scanner/copier...)

I prefer color laser so my vote goes to Brother HL-3170CDW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2016 12:59 AM, HerHusband wrote:

I gave up on inkjet printers years ago. They're slow, the print bleeds if
it gets wet, and the ink cartridges dry up if you don't print regularly.

They are 3X as fast as they were years ago. Ink does not dry up as fast
either from my experience.

I also don't like all-in-one devices (printers, tv/dvd players, etc.). You
have to replace the entire machine even if a single part fails, and you
can't pick the best of each device (a standalone scanner is usually better
than what comes in the all-in-ones).

I agreed with this 10 years ago when they cost $500. At $79, who crs if
one function craps out?

With that in mind, I highly recommend Brother laser printers. My main
printer is a Brother HL-5240DN with a second paper tray. It's fast,
produces great output, and can print to both sides of a page. Toner lasts a
long time also.

The OP wanted color though.

I also have a Xerox 6022 color laser that I have been very happy with. It
won't replace a photo printer, but for general office flyers, brochures,
cards, or generic color printouts it works great. It also takes up very
little space. My only gripe is it only comes in white.

My scanner is an Epson V500 flatbed scanner that also does a great job with
negatives.

Great if you have the flat surfaces to put them all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 2:37:01 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
[...]

I just bought a Hewlett-Packard Envy 7645 that prints, scans, copies, and faxes. Works well for me, although I haven't bothered to hook up the fax option. This was to replace a similar HP that I had for five or six years that started to malfunction.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

Now that the kids are grown and not doing school work, we don't print enough color for an ink jet. They dry out or something over time.

I have a Canon black and white laser printer that also scans, and does both well. The OEM toner cartridge is unaffordable but the nonOEM replacements are reasonable and work perfectly.

The only issue is that drivers for old printers are eventually not available especially for new PCs. This one will be obsolete long before it stops working.

When I really need color I email the file to Walmart or Staples and pick up the printouts next time I'm by there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have a cheap Samsung laser (ML-1865W ~$60) and it is a workhorse. The
only way I'll replace it is if it dies. I like it because you get a new
drum with each toner cartridge. When the "replace toner cartridge
light" comes on, you can continue printing for a long, long time and
still get good quality prints. The only features lacking are auto
duplex and ethernet connection. I don't use the wireless feature as it
didn't seem to work well ... whenever there was a power failure, I would
have to re-setup each of the PCs to work again, but frankly, it might be
that I was doing something wrong. The newer Samsungs have ethernet and
auto duplexing and even have a smaller profile because of the paper
drawer, but of course, cost a bit more ... but not too much more!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2016 7:44 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

Bought my wife an HP Envy 4500 series printer that prints and scans but
lacks fax function. It was very easy to install but lost wifi
connectivity a few times and puzzling to get working again because, as I
mentioned elsewhere in thread, a paucity of instructions comes with the
printer. Nice thing about the wifi is that we can print from her
laptop, my desktop or her iPad with it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 05:52:26 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 10/5/2016 12:59 AM, HerHusband wrote:
I gave up on inkjet printers years ago. They're slow, the print bleeds if
it gets wet, and the ink cartridges dry up if you don't print regularly.

They are 3X as fast as they were years ago. Ink does not dry up as fast
either from my experience.

This isn't quite correct. What the printers now do is every 24 hours they
clean off the tips of the ink cartridges. So if you never use the printer,
it will still run out of ink in a couple years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 05:24:48 -0700 (PDT), TimR wrote:

When I really need color I email the file to Walmart or Staples and pick up the printouts next time I'm by there.

Before I retired, when I really needed color I e-mailed to the office. I
know exactly how old my color laser printer is. I bought it when I retired
and could no longer print at the office.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 04:44:55 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314 wrote:

I just bought a Hewlett-Packard Envy 7645 that prints, scans, copies, and faxes. Works well for me, although I haven't bothered to hook up the fax option. This was to replace a similar HP that I had for five or six years that started to malfunction.

How often do you fax?

There is one downside to scanning with an all-in-one. They do not scan to
the edges. The printer cannot print to the edge, and they only scan where
on the page they can print.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 4:39:45 PM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:
[...]

I, too have an Epson Workforce. I believe it's in the 3600 series...I'm not
home to check. I paid $149 a few years ago. Love it!

2 sided printing and copying, document feeder, rear feed for one-off
paper sizes, 2 drawers for different papers. Flatbed and document feeder
scanning/copying. Separate ink cartridges for each color, high capacity
cartridges available. It warns you when a color is getting low and gives
you the option to print anyway, adjusting the colors slightly instead of
refusing to print.

It's wireless so we can print from our PC, iPads or Android phones.

I use an free app called NAPS2 (Not Another PDF Scanner 2) for scanning
docs to PDF. My two daughters list my house as their home address while
they are away at school, so I often have to "forward" mail to them. Scan,
save, email, done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So, I'm thinking it's time to chuck this printer that's at least 10
years old and get a new one.

Any recommendations? I like inkjet, color, and all-in-ones
(printer/scanner/copier...)

--
Maggie

If you got 10 years out of it, you're doing well. Most people buy a
inkjet printer, use it till the ink runs out, finds that the ink costs
as much as another printer, and they toss the printer in the garbage and
buy a new one.

*Most* people throw their printers away when the ink runs out? Really?

Do you have any stats that back that up?

Have *you* actually done that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 9:41:05 AM UTC-4, Don Wiss wrote:
On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 04:44:55 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314 wrote:

I just bought a Hewlett-Packard Envy 7645 that prints, scans, copies, and faxes. Works well for me, although I haven't bothered to hook up the fax option. This was to replace a similar HP that I had for five or six years that started to malfunction.

How often do you fax?

In my case, never, but the FAX feature is built in to most (all?)
all-in-ones so the question is kind of irrelevant.

There is one downside to scanning with an all-in-one. They do not scan to
the edges. The printer cannot print to the edge, and they only scan where
on the page they can print.

How often is either of them an issue? (That's a real question) In my use,
I can't recall a situation where either of those have been a problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Muggles" wrote

| I'm going cross-eyed looking at ads for home office printers.

I'm no expert on this, but have owned several
printers. For what it's worth: At one point I switched
to Epson because HP ink was so wildly overpriced.
The Epson was much worse. Ink was cheaper but
cartridges were tiny. Ink dried out. The Epson
absolutely refused to do anything once it decided
that ink was low. It seemed to calculate some
combination of time and usage to arrive at that
decision. My older HP would always still print when
ink got low, and I knew it was low because the
printing would be faint, while the Epson just decided
it was low, despite still printing fine.

So I'll never buy an Epson again. Though I should
point out that my ladyfriend is a photographer and
uses a high-end Epson for printing photos. It's
considered to be among the best for that task and
does a beautiful job. But it does require 8 colors of
those tiny cartidges to work.

My current printer is an HP Envy 5660. $80. All
the stores claimed it "normally sold" for far more than
that, but they were all selling it for $80. I only
use a printer on an irregular basis, mostly to print
contracts, business stationery, return address stickers,
etc. So far the HP has been fine, aside from irritating
nags about how I should claim online coupons. (The
nags seem to be built into the printer software, so I'm
not sure that I can stop them.)

I'm afraid all printer companies are getting more
sleazy while also becoming more clever about
cotrolling the device through software. Epson seems
to not be breaking any laws by actually preventing me
from using the device I bought as I see fit. So what
can one do? On the bright side, the prices are relatively
low. It's almost cheaper to just buy a new printer
every time the ink runs out.

As for the scanner, I've always been happy with those,
since the first scanners came out. My new HP is somewhat
of a scanner for dummies, in therms of the software. The
newer WIA interface that replaces TWAIN tends to come
with dumbed down utilities. But the options it provides
are serviceable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 9:41:05 AM UTC-4, Don Wiss wrote:

In my case, never, but the FAX feature is built in to most (all?)
all-in-ones so the question is kind of irrelevant.

As I wrote earlier, Brother has a two-in-one B&W laser that I use as my
main printer. Nice flatbed scanner/copier. No feeder. I haven't sent or
received a fax in years.

There is one downside to scanning with an all-in-one. They do not scan to
the edges. The printer cannot print to the edge, and they only scan where
on the page they can print.

How often is either of them an issue? (That's a real question) In my use,
I can't recall a situation where either of those have been a problem.

Scanning to the edge is very important to me. I often have things to scan
for my websites that go right to the edge. For most scanning I have a Canon
Canoscan. It scans to the edge. When I need the 11x17 scanner I have 1/8" x
1/4" plastic I-beams that I put along an edge, so the piece to be scanned
all gets scanned.

For things even bigger than my 11x17 scanner, I use Microsoft's free Image
Composite Editor to automatically stitch together.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed,

I gave up on inkjet printers years ago. They're slow, the print
bleeds if it gets wet, and the ink cartridges dry up if you don't
print regularly.

They are 3X as fast as they were years ago. Ink does not dry up as
fast either from my experience.

I'm sure there have been many improvements to the newer inkjet printers.
However, the inkjet printers I have seen are still limited to 5-10 pages
per minute. Laser printers usually print 20-30 pages per minute.

And the ink still bleeds when wet, and/or requires you to use special
paper.

I also don't like all-in-one devices (printers, tv/dvd players,
etc.). You have to replace the entire machine even if a single part
fails, and you can't pick the best of each device (a standalone
scanner is usually better than what comes in the all-in-ones).

I agreed with this 10 years ago when they cost $500. At $79, who
cares if one function craps out?

You get what you pay for. A $79 combo printer/scanner is not going to match
the quality of a $200-300 dedicated flatbed scanner. If all you do is scan
text documents, it may not matter. But if you scan photos, negatives, etc.
the quality will be subpar at best.

The OP wanted color though.

Thus my recommendation for the Xerox 6022 color laser.

Great if you have the flat surfaces to put them all.

Agreed, that's the one advantage the combo printer/scanners have.

I have two laser printers, but a single color laser could serve most needs.

If you don't need high resolution scanning, a combo unit might be OK.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tim,

When I really need color I email the file to Walmart or Staples and
pick up the printouts next time I'm by there.

My color laser is handy when I need to make a quick color printout, such as
a map for hiking, or a last minute birthday card I forgot to get at the
store.

However, when I need prints of our photos I order them online from my local
Office Depot or Fred Meyer store, and pick them up when I run to town. The
quality is much better than anything I can print at home, and I don't do it
enough to justify a dedicated photo printer.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com