Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can't repair home office printer, so need a new one

On Tue, 04 Oct 2016 18:46:50 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 13:36:59 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

I'm going cross-eyed looking at ads for home office printers. Every
time I look at the customer ratings and comments, it seems I'll see
mixed reviews, many good ones and then some awful ones, which makes me
want to go look at the next machine.

My current printer is an HP Photosmart that keeps having an ink error.
In the past I've been able to do a master reset, which allows me to
print in black only, because that's all I need right now, but a 3rd
color cartridge ran out of ink and set up that ink error again. The
master reset hasn't worked this time, and I've tried it about 10 times
thus far.

I can buy the color ink cartridges and install them, but it's no
guarantee that it will them allow a master reset. It had been leaking
one of the color cartridges, and that started all of a sudden, but
allowed me to print in black until now.

So, I'm thinking it's time to chuck this printer that's at least 10
years old and get a new one.

Any recommendations? I like inkjet, color, and all-in-ones
(printer/scanner/copier...)

We have two of these inkjets in the business and they perform
admirably.

http://amzn.to/2dtdNMG

My personal preference is black and white lasers for 99% of our
printing and for the occasional color job, we have a shared color
laser.

I would recomend a printer with separate ink tanks if you are doing
any volume at all - and field replaceable print heads are also a big
advantage. I have some (somewhere around 25?) officejet pro printers
some with over 600,000 prints on them but most around 20,000 more or
less. They are 8000s and I refill the ink 8 or 10 times a year each
and replace them when the date runs out or when they stop being
accepted by the printer. I get about 4 years or so out of each
printhead.

If you do very little printing the HP combination cartridge/printhead
with several colors combined are OK, particularly if you have a good
ink refill company nearby who can refill them for you at a reasonable
cost. I just HATE it when you run out of, say, yellow and the other 2
colors in the cartridge are still half full.