Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can't repair home office printer, so need a new one

I'm going cross-eyed looking at ads for home office printers. Every
time I look at the customer ratings and comments, it seems I'll see
mixed reviews, many good ones and then some awful ones, which makes me
want to go look at the next machine.

My current printer is an HP Photosmart that keeps having an ink error.
In the past I've been able to do a master reset, which allows me to
print in black only, because that's all I need right now, but a 3rd
color cartridge ran out of ink and set up that ink error again. The
master reset hasn't worked this time, and I've tried it about 10 times
thus far.

I can buy the color ink cartridges and install them, but it's no
guarantee that it will them allow a master reset. It had been leaking
one of the color cartridges, and that started all of a sudden, but
allowed me to print in black until now.

So, I'm thinking it's time to chuck this printer that's at least 10
years old and get a new one.

Any recommendations? I like inkjet, color, and all-in-ones
(printer/scanner/copier...)

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 13:36:59 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

[...]

We have two of these inkjets in the business and they perform
admirably.

http://amzn.to/2dtdNMG

My personal preference is black and white lasers for 99% of our
printing and for the occasional color job, we have a shared color
laser.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

you prefer B&W lasers, but give a recommendation for an inkjet.

What is your recommendation for a B&W laser?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Obviously you are confused, the OP indicated she preferred color,
inkjet printers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Oct 2016 20:27:25 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

Obviously you are confused, the OP indicated she preferred color,
inkjet printers.

See http://www.toptenreviews.com/computers/printers/

Professional reviews and not by opinioned, biased actors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No, I'm not confused. I wanted a recommendation for a B&W laser.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 14:10:00 -0700, Taxed and Spent
wrote:

No, I'm not confused. I wanted a recommendation for a B&W laser.

http://www.toptenreviews.com/computers/printers/best-laser-printers/
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We have 5 of the following personal b/w laser printers, one in each
manager's office. I have been extremely satisfied and impressed with
the machines.

http://amzn.to/2dtGXvi

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/4/16 5:10 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
I wanted a recommendation for a B&W laser.

Brother lasers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have a cheap Samsung laser (ML-1865W ~$60) and it is a workhorse. The
only way I'll replace it is if it dies. I like it because you get a new
drum with each toner cartridge. When the "replace toner cartridge
light" comes on, you can continue printing for a long, long time and
still get good quality prints. The only features lacking are auto
duplex and ethernet connection. I don't use the wireless feature as it
didn't seem to work well ... whenever there was a power failure, I would
have to re-setup each of the PCs to work again, but frankly, it might be
that I was doing something wrong. The newer Samsungs have ethernet and
auto duplexing and even have a smaller profile because of the paper
drawer, but of course, cost a bit more ... but not too much more!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/4/2016 3:14 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 10/4/2016 11:46 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

We have two of these inkjets in the business and they perform
admirably.

http://amzn.to/2dtdNMG

My personal preference is black and white lasers for 99% of our
printing and for the occasional color job, we have a shared color
laser.

you prefer B&W lasers, but give a recommendation for an inkjet.

What is your recommendation for a B&W laser?

Brother HL-L2340DW

By and large, Brother laser printers are your best bet. Extremely
reliable, easy to set up, not at all temperamental, very affordable
printer and replacement toner cartridges/drums.

Amazon frequently runs them on Gold Box deals. The model above is
typically $99, but will run on sale for as low as $69-$75. Seems like
they'll have a Brother laser printer sale every 6-8 weeks or so, and
more often in November-December.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-10-04, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

By and large, Brother laser printers are your best bet.

I tend to agree.

I'm on my 2nd Brother B/W laser printer. The first still works,
despite having been in 2 car accidents, stored in sub-zero shed, and
works ona Linux setup. My second is a FAX2840, which I needed cuz a
lotta govt agencies still demand docs be sent by FAX. Beware or
whether or not you have a 32 or 64 bit machine, as many Brother
drivers are 64 bit only.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Okidata LED printer - hands down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Oct 2016 17:53:12 -0400, wrote:

Okidata LED printer - hands down.

$600-900 is a bit expensive for a home office printer.

Don.
www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Oct 2016, Stormin' Norman wrote:

My personal preference is black and white lasers for 99% of our
printing and for the occasional color job, we have a shared color
laser.

I am also a fan of having two printers (though I have three*). With fax
almost dead, does one really need a full all-in-one? I agree with the
Brother recommendation. For the B&W laser I have the Brother HL2280. It was
much cheaper three years ago. What it gives me is a convenient flatbed
copier in addition to a laser printer.

Over seven years ago I bought a color laser printer. Long since
discontinued. I rarely print in color. I only turn it on when I need it.

For my all-in-one I bought the older model of the Brother MFCJ6920DW:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EANUUDK

It gives me the feeder if I want to scan a stack. And most important to me,
it gives me an 11"x17" scanner for a reasonable price (it was cheaper back
when I bought it). I have never bought 11x17 paper and with the color laser
I don't use it to print at all.

* four if you count the Seiko label printer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-10-04, Don Wiss wrote:

With fax almost dead, does one really need a full all-in-one?

It's why I have a 2nd Brother printer (FAX2840). The CA Franchise Tax
Board (state level IRS) will accept a document no other way. Before I
bought a FAX machine, I hadda pay a local printer send 'em a FAX.
This about 4 yrs ago.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-10-04, Don Wiss wrote:

With fax almost dead, does one really need a full all-in-one?

It's why I have a 2nd Brother printer (FAX2840). The CA Franchise Tax
Board (state level IRS) will accept a document no other way. Before I
bought a FAX machine, I hadda pay a local printer send 'em a FAX.
This about 4 yrs ago.

nb

you cannot mail in documents to the FTB?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I am also a fan of having two printers (though I have three*). With fax
almost dead, does one really need a full all-in-one?

Last time I needed fax service was a few weeks ago when dealing with a
former college.
Prior to that I needed it a few months back when a bank required a fax
of a document or for me to hand carry that document to an office that
was a 25 mile round trip by car.

Yes, less need for fax today but sometimes it can be handy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 13:27:30 -0400, Steve Stone wrote:

Last time I needed fax service was a few weeks ago when dealing with a
former college.
Prior to that I needed it a few months back when a bank required a fax
of a document or for me to hand carry that document to an office that
was a 25 mile round trip by car.

Yes, less need for fax today but sometimes it can be handy.

What I have done is to scan and e-mail the scan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 12:31:14 PM UTC-5, Don Wiss wrote:
On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 13:27:30 -0400, Steve Stone wrote:

Last time I needed fax service was a few weeks ago when dealing with a
former college.
Prior to that I needed it a few months back when a bank required a fax
of a document or for me to hand carry that document to an office that
was a 25 mile round trip by car.

Yes, less need for fax today but sometimes it can be handy.

What I have done is to scan and e-mail the scan.

Your point is moot...it only takes a little more software to fax...so why not include it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 13:31:06 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

Yes, less need for fax today but sometimes it can be handy.

What I have done is to scan and e-mail the scan.

Did a home refi recently. They sent a password protected *.zip file.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 13:27:30 -0400, Steve Stone wrote:

Last time I needed fax service was a few weeks ago when dealing with a
former college.
Prior to that I needed it a few months back when a bank required a fax
of a document or for me to hand carry that document to an office that
was a 25 mile round trip by car.

Yes, less need for fax today but sometimes it can be handy.

What I have done is to scan and e-mail the scan.

Many "legal" services will NOT accept an email. a scanned copy is
not accepted as an "original" because it can be manipulated/altered. A
fax is considered an "original" as it cannot be altered.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-10-05, Don Wiss wrote:

What I have done is to scan and e-mail the scan.

I can do that. The CA FTB would not accept it.

Hey, I also thought FAX'es were as dead as mimeograph machines. Silly
me!

Apparently, some govt agencies and private finacial institutions will
accept no other. Plus, almost every business online will accept a
FAX. I will not accept one, but I can send one.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I would recomend a printer with separate ink tanks if you are doing
any volume at all - and field replaceable print heads are also a big
advantage. I have some (somewhere around 25?) officejet pro printers
some with over 600,000 prints on them but most around 20,000 more or
less. They are 8000s and I refill the ink 8 or 10 times a year each
and replace them when the date runs out or when they stop being
accepted by the printer. I get about 4 years or so out of each
printhead.

If you do very little printing the HP combination cartridge/printhead
with several colors combined are OK, particularly if you have a good
ink refill company nearby who can refill them for you at a reasonable
cost. I just HATE it when you run out of, say, yellow and the other 2
colors in the cartridge are still half full.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Why do you like a laser printer over an inkjet?

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

TCO (total cost of ownership), speed, moisture fast toner, toner does
not clog the mechanism or dry up in the cartridge, and that is just a
few reasons why I prefer a black and white lasers over color injkjets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016, Muggles wrote:

Why do you like a laser printer over an inkjet?

Also the laser print quality is much better than an inkjet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 06 Oct 2016 23:36:13 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016, Muggles wrote:

Why do you like a laser printer over an inkjet?

Also the laser print quality is much better than an inkjet.

Generally speaking, but not necessarily. A 1200dpi inkjet will
definitely produce better print quality than a 600dpi or less laser.

It also depends what kind of ink. Pigmented ink makes better quality
than dye based ink.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/06/2016 10:36 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
On Wed, 5 Oct 2016, Muggles wrote:

Why do you like a laser printer over an inkjet?

Also the laser print quality is much better than an inkjet.

A laser printer may not do so well on glossy photo paper. It IS better
on regular paper.

79 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The trouble with divine revelation is that we do not know who did the
business." [Lemuel K. Washburn, _Is The Bible Worth Reading And Other
Essays_]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So, I'm thinking it's time to chuck this printer that's at least 10
years old and get a new one.

Any recommendations? I like inkjet, color, and all-in-ones
(printer/scanner/copier...)

--
Maggie

If you got 10 years out of it, you're doing well. Most people buy a
inkjet printer, use it till the ink runs out, finds that the ink costs
as much as another printer, and they toss the printer in the garbage and
buy a new one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Oct 2016 17:42:17 -0400, wrote:

Likely the same people who'd vote for Trump and for the same reason.
Ignorance of facts.

When do you get a vote?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So, I'm thinking it's time to chuck this printer that's at least 10
years old and get a new one.

Any recommendations? I like inkjet, color, and all-in-ones
(printer/scanner/copier...)

--
Maggie

If you got 10 years out of it, you're doing well. Most people buy a
inkjet printer, use it till the ink runs out, finds that the ink costs
as much as another printer, and they toss the printer in the garbage and
buy a new one.

*Most* people throw their printers away when the ink runs out? Really?

Do you have any stats that back that up?

Have *you* actually done that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2016 10:45 AM, Don Wiss wrote:
On Tue, 04 Oct 2016 13:59:39 -0400, wrote:

Most people buy a
inkjet printer, use it till the ink runs out, finds that the ink costs
as much as another printer, and they toss the printer in the garbage and
buy a new one.

You shouldn't toss printers into the garbage. Here in NYC it is illegal to
do so. You must take all electronic waste to a place for recycling. A good
move. I simply take to Staples, which is less than a mile from me.

Don.
www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Best Buy will take any old electronic equipment. I disposed of 4 good
old crt TV's there.

Wife gets credit taking empty ink cartridges to Staples.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 2:11:19 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
Best Buy will take any old electronic equipment. I disposed of 4 good
old crt TV's there.

Where I live, Best Buy is the only legal way to get rid of a CRT TV. But they charge $25 each.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2016 3:19 PM, TimR wrote:
On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 2:11:19 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
Best Buy will take any old electronic equipment. I disposed of 4 good
old crt TV's there.

Where I live, Best Buy is the only legal way to get rid of a CRT TV. But they charge $25 each.

That is surprising. Its been nine months since I gave them my last one
and there was no charge. Neighbor was getting one ready for the dump
where they would charge and I told him about Best Buy. Don't think he
has gotten rid of it yet but I will have to ask him when he does.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 14:11:06 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

Best Buy will take any old electronic equipment. I disposed of 4 good
old crt TV's there.

They may here also. But they are further away than Staples. I think Staples
won't take CRT TVs here. But they do take CRT monitors. If I had a CRT TV I
would get on the web and see where NYC has for my options