Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can't repair home office printer, so need a new one

There is one downside to scanning with an all-in-one. They do not
scan to the edges. The printer cannot print to the edge, and they
only scan where on the page they can print.

How often is either of them an issue? (That's a real question) In my
use, I can't recall a situation where either of those have been a
problem.

Do you scan photos? I would think the edges would get cut off unless you
position the photo in the middle of the scanner. Then alignment is more
difficult, requiring software rotation after scanning (quality loss).

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 9:09:09 AM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:
"Muggles" wrote

| I'm going cross-eyed looking at ads for home office printers.

I'm no expert on this, but have owned several
printers. For what it's worth: At one point I switched
to Epson because HP ink was so wildly overpriced.
The Epson was much worse. Ink was cheaper but
cartridges were tiny. Ink dried out. The Epson
absolutely refused to do anything once it decided
that ink was low. It seemed to calculate some
combination of time and usage to arrive at that
decision.

Never had any issues like this with Epson...they would bitch if you used a "compatible" cartridge, but still print. My 1st Epson I was refilling (freeware to reset the chip), but Epson ink is high quality and water resistant. I used to repair Epson dot-matrix POS printers...brilliantly engineered.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-10-04, Don Wiss wrote:

With fax almost dead, does one really need a full all-in-one?

It's why I have a 2nd Brother printer (FAX2840). The CA Franchise Tax
Board (state level IRS) will accept a document no other way. Before I
bought a FAX machine, I hadda pay a local printer send 'em a FAX.
This about 4 yrs ago.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-10-04, Don Wiss wrote:

With fax almost dead, does one really need a full all-in-one?

It's why I have a 2nd Brother printer (FAX2840). The CA Franchise Tax
Board (state level IRS) will accept a document no other way. Before I
bought a FAX machine, I hadda pay a local printer send 'em a FAX.
This about 4 yrs ago.

nb

you cannot mail in documents to the FTB?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I am also a fan of having two printers (though I have three*). With fax
almost dead, does one really need a full all-in-one?

Last time I needed fax service was a few weeks ago when dealing with a
former college.
Prior to that I needed it a few months back when a bank required a fax
of a document or for me to hand carry that document to an office that
was a 25 mile round trip by car.

Yes, less need for fax today but sometimes it can be handy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 13:27:30 -0400, Steve Stone wrote:

Last time I needed fax service was a few weeks ago when dealing with a
former college.
Prior to that I needed it a few months back when a bank required a fax
of a document or for me to hand carry that document to an office that
was a 25 mile round trip by car.

Yes, less need for fax today but sometimes it can be handy.

What I have done is to scan and e-mail the scan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 12:31:14 PM UTC-5, Don Wiss wrote:
On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 13:27:30 -0400, Steve Stone wrote:

Last time I needed fax service was a few weeks ago when dealing with a
former college.
Prior to that I needed it a few months back when a bank required a fax
of a document or for me to hand carry that document to an office that
was a 25 mile round trip by car.

Yes, less need for fax today but sometimes it can be handy.

What I have done is to scan and e-mail the scan.

Your point is moot...it only takes a little more software to fax...so why not include it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 13:31:06 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

Yes, less need for fax today but sometimes it can be handy.

What I have done is to scan and e-mail the scan.

Did a home refi recently. They sent a password protected *.zip file.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 10:09:09 AM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:
"Muggles" wrote

| I'm going cross-eyed looking at ads for home office printers.

I'm no expert on this, but have owned several
printers. For what it's worth: At one point I switched
to Epson because HP ink was so wildly overpriced.
The Epson was much worse. Ink was cheaper but
cartridges were tiny. Ink dried out. The Epson
absolutely refused to do anything once it decided
that ink was low. It seemed to calculate some
combination of time and usage to arrive at that
decision. My older HP would always still print when
ink got low, and I knew it was low because the
printing would be faint, while the Epson just decided
it was low, despite still printing fine.

So I'll never buy an Epson again. Though I should
point out that my ladyfriend is a photographer and
uses a high-end Epson for printing photos. It's
considered to be among the best for that task and
does a beautiful job. But it does require 8 colors of
those tiny cartidges to work.

My current printer is an HP Envy 5660. $80. All
the stores claimed it "normally sold" for far more than
that, but they were all selling it for $80. I only
use a printer on an irregular basis, mostly to print
contracts, business stationery, return address stickers,
etc. So far the HP has been fine, aside from irritating
nags about how I should claim online coupons. (The
nags seem to be built into the printer software, so I'm
not sure that I can stop them.)

I'm afraid all printer companies are getting more
sleazy while also becoming more clever about
cotrolling the device through software. Epson seems
to not be breaking any laws by actually preventing me
from using the device I bought as I see fit. So what
can one do? On the bright side, the prices are relatively
low. It's almost cheaper to just buy a new printer
every time the ink runs out.

As for the scanner, I've always been happy with those,
since the first scanners came out. My new HP is somewhat
of a scanner for dummies, in therms of the software. The
newer WIA interface that replaces TWAIN tends to come
with dumbed down utilities. But the options it provides
are serviceable.

"You're in a newsgroup. There's a topic. People
come for discussion of that topic. I shouldn't
need to explain that. Being "a regular" doesn't confer
special status to post unrelated chit-chat."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2016 10:45 AM, Don Wiss wrote:
On Tue, 04 Oct 2016 13:59:39 -0400, wrote:

Most people buy a
inkjet printer, use it till the ink runs out, finds that the ink costs
as much as another printer, and they toss the printer in the garbage and
buy a new one.

You shouldn't toss printers into the garbage. Here in NYC it is illegal to
do so. You must take all electronic waste to a place for recycling. A good
move. I simply take to Staples, which is less than a mile from me.

Don.
www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Best Buy will take any old electronic equipment. I disposed of 4 good
old crt TV's there.

Wife gets credit taking empty ink cartridges to Staples.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 04:59:31 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

I'm going cross-eyed looking at ads for home office printers. Every
time I look at the customer ratings and comments, it seems I'll see
mixed reviews, many good ones and then some awful ones, which makes me
want to go look at the next machine.
Any recommendations? I like inkjet, color, and all-in-ones
(printer/scanner/copier...)

I gave up on inkjet printers years ago. They're slow, the print bleeds if
it gets wet, and the ink cartridges dry up if you don't print regularly.

Pigmented ink pretty well solves the bleed problem

I also don't like all-in-one devices (printers, tv/dvd players, etc.). You
have to replace the entire machine even if a single part fails, and you
can't pick the best of each device (a standalone scanner is usually better
than what comes in the all-in-ones).

I bought a good standalone scanner, then when my printer needed
replacement the best deal on a printer just happened to be an
"all-in-one"

With that in mind, I highly recommend Brother laser printers. My main
printer is a Brother HL-5240DN with a second paper tray. It's fast,
produces great output, and can print to both sides of a page. Toner lasts a
long time also.

\Definitely nothing wrong with the Brother laser

I also have a Xerox 6022 color laser that I have been very happy with. It
won't replace a photo printer, but for general office flyers, brochures,
cards, or generic color printouts it works great. It also takes up very
little space. My only gripe is it only comes in white.

My scanner is an Epson V500 flatbed scanner that also does a great job with
negatives.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 2:11:19 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
Best Buy will take any old electronic equipment. I disposed of 4 good
old crt TV's there.

Where I live, Best Buy is the only legal way to get rid of a CRT TV. But they charge $25 each.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Oct 2016 10:41:29 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 9:41:05 AM UTC-4, Don Wiss wrote:

In my case, never, but the FAX feature is built in to most (all?)
all-in-ones so the question is kind of irrelevant.

As I wrote earlier, Brother has a two-in-one B&W laser that I use as my
main printer. Nice flatbed scanner/copier. No feeder. I haven't sent or
received a fax in years.

There is one downside to scanning with an all-in-one. They do not scan to
the edges. The printer cannot print to the edge, and they only scan where
on the page they can print.

How often is either of them an issue? (That's a real question) In my use,
I can't recall a situation where either of those have been a problem.

Scanning to the edge is very important to me. I often have things to scan
for my websites that go right to the edge. For most scanning I have a Canon
Canoscan. It scans to the edge. When I need the 11x17 scanner I have 1/8" x
1/4" plastic I-beams that I put along an edge, so the piece to be scanned
all gets scanned.

For things even bigger than my 11x17 scanner, I use Microsoft's free Image
Composite Editor to automatically stitch together.

I use a camera.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 13:27:30 -0400, Steve Stone wrote:

Last time I needed fax service was a few weeks ago when dealing with a
former college.
Prior to that I needed it a few months back when a bank required a fax
of a document or for me to hand carry that document to an office that
was a 25 mile round trip by car.

Yes, less need for fax today but sometimes it can be handy.

What I have done is to scan and e-mail the scan.

Many "legal" services will NOT accept an email. a scanned copy is
not accepted as an "original" because it can be manipulated/altered. A
fax is considered an "original" as it cannot be altered.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-10-05, Don Wiss wrote:

What I have done is to scan and e-mail the scan.

I can do that. The CA FTB would not accept it.

Hey, I also thought FAX'es were as dead as mimeograph machines. Silly
me!

Apparently, some govt agencies and private finacial institutions will
accept no other. Plus, almost every business online will accept a
FAX. I will not accept one, but I can send one.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 13:27:30 -0400, Steve Stone wrote:

Last time I needed fax service was a few weeks ago when dealing with a
former college.
Prior to that I needed it a few months back when a bank required a fax
of a document or for me to hand carry that document to an office that
was a 25 mile round trip by car.

Yes, less need for fax today but sometimes it can be handy.

What I have done is to scan and e-mail the scan.

Many "legal" services will NOT accept an email. a scanned copy is
not accepted as an "original" because it can be manipulated/altered. A
fax is considered an "original" as it cannot be altered.

I work for a firm that deals with a vast number of legally binding
documents.

We email PDF's to clients all the time and accept - via email - their
documents after they print them out, sign them and scan them back to PDF.
We then either print them out for filing and/or further processing or we
forward the email to the proper department.

We also have eFax numbers so clients can "fax" us documents. They arrive in
our email as PDF's which can be printed out and filed and/or submitted
for processing.

In other words, unless the client signs the document in my office or
mails or hand-carries the document in, we never see the "original".

We are slowly - very slowly - moving towards digital signing of documents
so that no paper copy even exists unless someone wants to print out a
copy for their own records.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles
Tue,
04 Oct 2016 18:36:59 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

I'm going cross-eyed looking at ads for home office printers.
Every time I look at the customer ratings and comments, it seems
I'll see mixed reviews, many good ones and then some awful ones,
which makes me want to go look at the next machine.

You'll find that problem with a lot of things. You can't always rely
on some customer reviews. Some issues the customer had are the direct
result of the customer not following directions and/or not
understanding something. Keep in mind, the ones leaving the reviews
could be like you. "I'm giving it a 1 star because I had trouble
installing the software" - customer may not have followed the
directions carefully, but, they aren't going to admit that.

I've actually had customers call for help because their printer
wouldn't print anything. It went thru the motions and ejected a blank
page. When I went to their home or had them bring the printer in, I'd
find the 'remove me before using' tear away sticker still attached to
the bottom of one or more cartridges.

Btw, please don't keep trying to print if you get a blank page; as,
the printer is putting droplets of ink all over the sticky side of
the remove before using sticker. It makes a mess in short order. The
ink tends to stay wet in those circumstances.

Any recommendations? I like inkjet, color, and all-in-ones
(printer/scanner/copier...)

Just a few suggestions, actually. Some people in the thread have
recommended decent machines and one poster even provided a decent url
to learn more. I'd suggest you visit the url and make your own
decision based on what your needs are. Since you didn't bother to
list them with your post.

And my second suggestion, don't buy an all in one anything. The print
quality isn't the greatest and the scanner resolution is often not
the best either. Depending on make/model of the all-in-one, if one
component fails or indicates it has a problem during the power up
self test, it may not let you use the other components. Kodak all in
one comes to mind...

You're better off with dedicated hardware. IE: a printer that prints
and a scanner that scans; seperate units entirely though. The print
quality will usually be better AND the scanner will usually offer
higher resolution scans vs an all-in-one.

My post isn't specifying which posters suggested decent printers
based on service work history I have with the majority of them, and,
it's intentional on my part, due to our past. I don't think highly of
you and time hasn't changed that opinion.

--
People you encounter every day are fighting battles you know nothing
about. Be kind.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2016 8:24 AM, TimR wrote:

I have a Canon black and white laser printer

Mine only prints black.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 17:15:56 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 10/5/2016 8:24 AM, TimR wrote:

I have a Canon black and white laser printer

Mine only prints black.

Which shade of black? There are 99 shades of white

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/05/2016 4:15 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/5/2016 8:24 AM, TimR wrote:

I have a Canon black and white laser printer

Mine only prints black.

Must be defective...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2016 8:24 AM, TimR wrote:

I have a Canon black and white laser printer

Mine only prints black.

Which shade of black? There are 99 shades of white

There is one shade of black...and 99 shades of gray. Oh, I mean 50 shades! 8^)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 14:11:06 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

Best Buy will take any old electronic equipment. I disposed of 4 good
old crt TV's there.

They may here also. But they are further away than Staples. I think Staples
won't take CRT TVs here. But they do take CRT monitors. If I had a CRT TV I
would get on the web and see where NYC has for my options

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The insurance business has been working towards that goal for over
10 years and they are still killing trees at an alarming rate!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/4/2016 1:46 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 13:36:59 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

I'm going cross-eyed looking at ads for home office printers. Every
time I look at the customer ratings and comments, it seems I'll see
mixed reviews, many good ones and then some awful ones, which makes me
want to go look at the next machine.

My current printer is an HP Photosmart that keeps having an ink error.
In the past I've been able to do a master reset, which allows me to
print in black only, because that's all I need right now, but a 3rd
color cartridge ran out of ink and set up that ink error again. The
master reset hasn't worked this time, and I've tried it about 10 times
thus far.

I can buy the color ink cartridges and install them, but it's no
guarantee that it will them allow a master reset. It had been leaking
one of the color cartridges, and that started all of a sudden, but
allowed me to print in black until now.

So, I'm thinking it's time to chuck this printer that's at least 10
years old and get a new one.

Any recommendations? I like inkjet, color, and all-in-ones
(printer/scanner/copier...)

We have two of these inkjets in the business and they perform
admirably.

http://amzn.to/2dtdNMG

My personal preference is black and white lasers for 99% of our
printing and for the occasional color job, we have a shared color
laser.

Why do you like a laser printer over an inkjet?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/4/2016 3:39 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 1:37:01 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
[...]

We have an Epson Workforce 635...even does 2-sided printing (slicker than sh*t). It has never jammed in 6 years and we use it a fair amount for church and technical stuff. 3-color does excellent photo printing and they're not dinky cartridges. *****5-stars

After a lot of looking and comparing, I finally settled on this one:
Epson WorkForce WF-3620 WiFi Direct All-in-One Color Inkjet Printer,
Copier, Scanner. It was on sale at Office Depot for $89 (normally
$160). I got it set up this afternoon, and it's not too big, and not
too small. I've printed on it and scanned to pc already. Haven't
hooked up the fax yet, but need to figure out where I have a phone
connection so I can do that. Oh, and I have it set up wired, now, but I
have the option to also set up wifi printing, too, if I need that.
Right now I don't really need wifi printing.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My current unit is a Canon Maxify MB2020 - no complaints so far but
do NOT try to use aftermarket ink.
Any HP Officejet Pro unit will be decent. Their home printers are
pretty iffy.

My dead HP gave me many years! I'm going to miss it, but I'm liking the
new one, too. It's a tad bit faster!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/4/2016 7:04 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 14:10:00 -0700, Taxed and Spent
wrote:

On 10/4/2016 1:27 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

wrote:

[...]

you prefer B&W lasers, but give a recommendation for an inkjet.

What is your recommendation for a B&W laser?

Obviously you are confused, the OP indicated she preferred color,
inkjet printers.

No, I'm not confused. I wanted a recommendation for a B&W laser.

We have 5 of the following personal b/w laser printers, one in each
manager's office. I have been extremely satisfied and impressed with
the machines.

http://amzn.to/2dtGXvi

I like the option of being able to print in color, sometimes.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/4/2016 7:33 PM, Frank wrote:
On 10/4/2016 2:36 PM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

Have not been happy with my HP all in one. Could not get the fax set up
and scanner recently started giving me fits so I still use old fax
machine and scanner. There is a paucity of instructions coming with new
machines of all type (not just printers).

Over the years, HP's have evolved from accepting cartridges that you
could re-ink yourself, to others re-inked cartridges that cost much less
to only accepting cartridges of their own manufacture. They learned
what old folks working at Eastman Kodak told me when they said they made
no profit of their cameras but made a bundle on their film.
Don't know about other brands but while HP makes good printers, ink cost
may be far less with others.

yeah Ink is really ridiculously expensive. This printer I just bought,
the Epson 3620, came with full cartridges, so it'll print out at least
300 pages. I can buy the XL cartridges that print 1100 pages, but for
now I'm good with the ink that came with it.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/4/2016 11:59 PM, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

After I got the new one set up this afternoon, I printed several things
that printed on both sides of the paper. The coolest this is I didn't
have to turn the paper over. The machine did the double side printing
automatically, and did it flawlessly! I was giggling!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2016 3:49 AM, HeyBob wrote:
Brother HL-3170CDW

Nice looking machine.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2016 6:44 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 2:37:01 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
[...]

I just bought a Hewlett-Packard Envy 7645 that prints, scans, copies, and faxes. Works well for me, although I haven't bothered to hook up the fax option. This was to replace a similar HP that I had for five or six years that started to malfunction.

Paul

Nice machine. Now, I'm wondering where do old printers go when they
pass away?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2016 7:37 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
auto duplexing

What exactly is auto duplexing?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2016 9:07 AM, Mayayana wrote:
"Muggles" wrote

| I'm going cross-eyed looking at ads for home office printers.

I'm no expert on this, but have owned several
printers. For what it's worth: At one point I switched
to Epson because HP ink was so wildly overpriced.
The Epson was much worse. Ink was cheaper but
cartridges were tiny. Ink dried out. The Epson
absolutely refused to do anything once it decided
that ink was low. It seemed to calculate some
combination of time and usage to arrive at that
decision. My older HP would always still print when
ink got low, and I knew it was low because the
printing would be faint, while the Epson just decided
it was low, despite still printing fine.

So I'll never buy an Epson again. Though I should
point out that my ladyfriend is a photographer and
uses a high-end Epson for printing photos. It's
considered to be among the best for that task and
does a beautiful job. But it does require 8 colors of
those tiny cartidges to work.

My current printer is an HP Envy 5660. $80. All
the stores claimed it "normally sold" for far more than
that, but they were all selling it for $80. I only
use a printer on an irregular basis, mostly to print
contracts, business stationery, return address stickers,
etc. So far the HP has been fine, aside from irritating
nags about how I should claim online coupons. (The
nags seem to be built into the printer software, so I'm
not sure that I can stop them.)

I'm afraid all printer companies are getting more
sleazy while also becoming more clever about
cotrolling the device through software. Epson seems
to not be breaking any laws by actually preventing me
from using the device I bought as I see fit. So what
can one do? On the bright side, the prices are relatively
low. It's almost cheaper to just buy a new printer
every time the ink runs out.

As for the scanner, I've always been happy with those,
since the first scanners came out. My new HP is somewhat
of a scanner for dummies, in therms of the software. The
newer WIA interface that replaces TWAIN tends to come
with dumbed down utilities. But the options it provides
are serviceable.

I don't print a lot all the time, but I do print off and on enough to
need a decent and reliable printer. I just switched from an HP to an
Epson, and I'm hoping I got a good one this time, too.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016, Muggles wrote:

On 10/5/2016 7:37 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
auto duplexing

What exactly is auto duplexing?

The printer prints on both sides of the paper. A nice feature. You don't
have to spend a lot to get it these days.