Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Can't repair home office printer, so need a new one

On 10/5/2016 12:59 AM, HerHusband wrote:

I gave up on inkjet printers years ago. They're slow, the print bleeds if
it gets wet, and the ink cartridges dry up if you don't print regularly.

They are 3X as fast as they were years ago. Ink does not dry up as fast
either from my experience.

I also don't like all-in-one devices (printers, tv/dvd players, etc.). You
have to replace the entire machine even if a single part fails, and you
can't pick the best of each device (a standalone scanner is usually better
than what comes in the all-in-ones).

I agreed with this 10 years ago when they cost $500. At $79, who crs if
one function craps out?

With that in mind, I highly recommend Brother laser printers. My main
printer is a Brother HL-5240DN with a second paper tray. It's fast,
produces great output, and can print to both sides of a page. Toner lasts a
long time also.

The OP wanted color though.

I also have a Xerox 6022 color laser that I have been very happy with. It
won't replace a photo printer, but for general office flyers, brochures,
cards, or generic color printouts it works great. It also takes up very
little space. My only gripe is it only comes in white.

My scanner is an Epson V500 flatbed scanner that also does a great job with
negatives.

Great if you have the flat surfaces to put them all.