Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Can't repair home office printer, so need a new one

Ed,

I gave up on inkjet printers years ago. They're slow, the print
bleeds if it gets wet, and the ink cartridges dry up if you don't
print regularly.

They are 3X as fast as they were years ago. Ink does not dry up as
fast either from my experience.

I'm sure there have been many improvements to the newer inkjet printers.
However, the inkjet printers I have seen are still limited to 5-10 pages
per minute. Laser printers usually print 20-30 pages per minute.

And the ink still bleeds when wet, and/or requires you to use special
paper.

I also don't like all-in-one devices (printers, tv/dvd players,
etc.). You have to replace the entire machine even if a single part
fails, and you can't pick the best of each device (a standalone
scanner is usually better than what comes in the all-in-ones).

I agreed with this 10 years ago when they cost $500. At $79, who
cares if one function craps out?

You get what you pay for. A $79 combo printer/scanner is not going to match
the quality of a $200-300 dedicated flatbed scanner. If all you do is scan
text documents, it may not matter. But if you scan photos, negatives, etc.
the quality will be subpar at best.

The OP wanted color though.

Thus my recommendation for the Xerox 6022 color laser.

Great if you have the flat surfaces to put them all.

Agreed, that's the one advantage the combo printer/scanners have.

I have two laser printers, but a single color laser could serve most needs.

If you don't need high resolution scanning, a combo unit might be OK.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com