Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wheelbarrow loads

Soil is typ about 1T/cu yd
Sand is typ about 1.5T/cu yd
Concrete, about 2T/cu yd

Wheelbarrow capacity is typ 1/6 cu yd

So, sizing with concrete's density in mind
suggests it would never see more than ~700lb load.

Anything that you'd EXPECT to encounter with a
wheelbarrow that would EXCEED that? (i.e., you
wouldn't be lugging gold bullion around in one)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 09:05:20 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

Soil is typ about 1T/cu yd
Sand is typ about 1.5T/cu yd
Concrete, about 2T/cu yd

Wheelbarrow capacity is typ 1/6 cu yd

So, sizing with concrete's density in mind
suggests it would never see more than ~700lb load.

Anything that you'd EXPECT to encounter with a
wheelbarrow that would EXCEED that? (i.e., you
wouldn't be lugging gold bullion around in one)

I am not sure what you're getting at with this post, but being a farmer,
I have used wheelbarrows all my life. Mostly to haul manure. Never fill
them so much that you have to struggle to use them. All it takes is one
small hole in the ground and it will tip over if you cant hold it
upright, and then you will have to scoop it all up a second time. NOT
FUN!

Just fill it enough so you can handle it. Its better to make a few more
trips with the wheelbarrow than to lose control of it and spill it, or
hurt your back moving it. Concrete is heavier than manure. Half filled
might be plenty. With manure I fill it to the top, but I dont pile it
above the top.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Soil is typ about 1T/cu yd
Sand is typ about 1.5T/cu yd
Concrete, about 2T/cu yd

Wheelbarrow capacity is typ 1/6 cu yd

So, sizing with concrete's density in mind
suggests it would never see more than ~700lb load.
\

You would never try to load more than about half of that much concrete
in a wheel barrow and that would be for a guy who does it for a
living. Your average homeowner is going to struggle with 250lbs over
anything but a paved surface.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/2016 3:37 PM, Don Y wrote:

Concrete, about 2T/cu yd

You would never try to load more than about half of that much concrete
in a wheel barrow and that would be for a guy who does it for a
living. Your average homeowner is going to struggle with 250lbs over
anything but a paved surface.

I'm not concerned with the homeowner/grunt. I'm concerned
with what the *wheelbarrow* can be expected to handle.

Make sure the tire is properly inflated so it can support the weight.
When you load in the 1/6 yard of concrete, be sure it in in the
permanent position because you are not easily moving it. Nice lawn
decoration though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/2016 2:01 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/20/2016 3:37 PM, Don Y wrote:

Concrete, about 2T/cu yd

You would never try to load more than about half of that much concrete
in a wheel barrow and that would be for a guy who does it for a
living. Your average homeowner is going to struggle with 250lbs over
anything but a paved surface.

I'm not concerned with the homeowner/grunt. I'm concerned
with what the *wheelbarrow* can be expected to handle.

Make sure the tire is properly inflated so it can support the weight.

I've yet to find anything that defines what sort of weight it (any
particular manufacturer's offering) can support! Lots of offerings
but all they use to express capacity are volumes. I suspect they'd be
hard pressed to support 2 cu yds of FEATHERS, despite the (lack of) weight!

When you
load in the 1/6 yard of concrete, be sure it in in the permanent position
because you are not easily moving it. Nice lawn decoration though.

Again, not concerned with moving it -- if the wheel bearings, tire inflation
level, support arms, bucket, etc. can support the load (whatever # that
might be).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/2016 4:22 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 12:37:36 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

wrote:

Soil is typ about 1T/cu yd
Sand is typ about 1.5T/cu yd
Concrete, about 2T/cu yd

Wheelbarrow capacity is typ 1/6 cu yd

So, sizing with concrete's density in mind
suggests it would never see more than ~700lb load.

You would never try to load more than about half of that much concrete
in a wheel barrow and that would be for a guy who does it for a
living. Your average homeowner is going to struggle with 250lbs over
anything but a paved surface.

I'm not concerned with the homeowner/grunt. I'm concerned
with what the *wheelbarrow* can be expected to handle.

A commercial grade one will be OK with 450-500 but it will be a trick
doing it. Paved surface, beefy guy, no sweat.

Set the wheelbarrow on any surface you like. Imagine it need not be
moved -- or would be moved by someone of superhuman strength.

The question I am asking is: what sort of weight load would you expect
the wheelbarrow to be capable of handling? You can buy them in many
"manufacturing grades", built of many different types of materials,
etc.

But, aside from a volumetric capacity -- and the weight of the wheelbarrow
itself -- there is nothing to tell you what the limit (or even "typical")
weight loading they can support.

Dirt, sand and concrete come to mind as examples of the heavier sorts of
"loads". You probably would NOT use a wheelbarrow to lug around steel
blocks -- but might for cinder/concrete blocks (ditto stone).

*If* you loaded a wheelbarrow to capacity with (for example) concrete,
would you discover that the wooden "arms" would snap if you tried to
heft the load? Or, the tire's seal give way?

A cheap wheelbarrow readily claims the same volumetric capacity as
an expensive one. Presumably, the more expensive has other capacities
that the cheap one can't match -- yet these are never spelled out
(numerically -- saying things like "all metal construction" doesn't
mean anything quantifiable)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 21:58:29 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

But, aside from a volumetric capacity -- and the weight of the wheelbarrow
itself -- there is nothing to tell you what the limit (or even "typical")
weight loading they can support.

http://www.cn-wheelbarrow.com/

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...barrow-5-cu-ft
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

But, aside from a volumetric capacity -- and the weight of the wheelbarrow
itself -- there is nothing to tell you what the limit (or even "typical")
weight loading they can support.

http://www.cn-wheelbarrow.com/

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...barrow-5-cu-ft

"GardenHoses-WeightCapacity"? Interesting unit of measure...

None seem to handle more than ~400+ pounds. That suggests only
1/8 cu yd of concrete; 1/4 cu yd of dirt

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 4/20/2016 4:22 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 12:37:36 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

The limiting factor will usually be the tire itself and that will be
stamped on the side wall. When you are using the wheelbarrow correctly
virtually all of the load will be on the tire.
A 5/8" steel axle might deflect a little but it will not break and if
the handles are hardwood they are not breaking either. That is why I
said "commercial grade"
There are some pretty cheap wheelbarrows out there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

But, aside from a volumetric capacity -- and the weight of the wheelbarrow
itself -- there is nothing to tell you what the limit (or even "typical")
weight loading they can support.

http://www.cn-wheelbarrow.com/

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...barrow-5-cu-ft

"GardenHoses-WeightCapacity"? Interesting unit of measure...

None seem to handle more than ~400+ pounds. That suggests only
1/8 cu yd of concrete; 1/4 cu yd of dirt

I think you have to apply about 1/3 of the weight on the fulcrum in
lifting force, so there's reasonable limits.
I've got a cheap wheelbarrow, and only move about 250lbs in it. It
gets tipsy beyond that. A well designed wheelbarrow will basically
carry what you can handle - until something breaks.
Think of it as a crowbar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/2016 3:37 PM, Don Y wrote:

Concrete, about 2T/cu yd

You would never try to load more than about half of that much concrete
in a wheel barrow and that would be for a guy who does it for a
living. Your average homeowner is going to struggle with 250lbs over
anything but a paved surface.

I'm not concerned with the homeowner/grunt. I'm concerned
with what the *wheelbarrow* can be expected to handle.

Make sure the tire is properly inflated so it can support the weight.

I've yet to find anything that defines what sort of weight it (any
particular manufacturer's offering) can support! Lots of offerings
but all they use to express capacity are volumes. I suspect they'd be
hard pressed to support 2 cu yds of FEATHERS, despite the (lack of) weight!

Probably why they don't give a weight rating. It will generally hold
more than a man can move if loaded fully with something very heavy
while some idiot will sue because he could not get 800 pounds of
feathers in it.

When you
load in the 1/6 yard of concrete, be sure it in in the permanent position
because you are not easily moving it. Nice lawn decoration though.

Again, not concerned with moving it -- if the wheel bearings, tire inflation
level, support arms, bucket, etc. can support the load (whatever # that
might be).

Stationary, it can support a lot. Moving, it is a matter of balance
and muscle. So you load it to capacity with gold bullion from under
the bed and you want to take it to the bank. The unit can take the
weight, but you lift and spill it because it is too heavy. You then
sue the manufacturer because they said you can move 2500 pounds.

Just like a measuring cup, volume is what counts, the rest is common
sense.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/2016 3:37 PM, Don Y wrote:

[...]

Again, I'm looking at the limitations of the *tool*, not the *user*.

So you load it to capacity with gold bullion from under
the bed and you want to take it to the bank. The unit can take the
weight, but you lift and spill it because it is too heavy. You then
sue the manufacturer because they said you can move 2500 pounds.

Just like a measuring cup, volume is what counts, the rest is common
sense.

You've just conceded that volume is NOT what counts -- as the density of
the material also plays a role (feathers, gold bullion, cement, etc.)

I suspect they are described in terms of volumetric capacity simply
because folks can more readily relate to that as pertaining to
PHYSICAL SIZE.

I have a "conveyance" that is rated for 1200lb loads -- the frame, wheels,
wheel bearings, etc. Chances are, that doesn't help you visualize the
sorts of applications to which it would apply! (Hint: a refrigerator
is typically in the ~300lb range.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 07:59:38 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

You've just conceded that volume is NOT what counts -- as the density of
the material also plays a role (feathers, gold bullion, cement, etc.)

I imagine they are assuming most users are going to be carrying around
yard waste, mulch and other things that are not that dense. If a
homeowner is using a wheelbarrow for concrete, they are usually mixing
it in the wheelbarrow and that will be a bag or 2 at a time. That is
about all you can work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/21/2016 8:37 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 08:23:39 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

wrote:

You've just conceded that volume is NOT what counts -- as the density of
the material also plays a role (feathers, gold bullion, cement, etc.)

I imagine they are assuming most users are going to be carrying around
yard waste, mulch and other things that are not that dense. If a
homeowner is using a wheelbarrow for concrete, they are usually mixing
it in the wheelbarrow and that will be a bag or 2 at a time. That is
about all you can work.

Homeowners aren't the only folks who buy wheelbarrows.

They are the ones most likely to buy a cheap one. A good one is not
going to break with any load a user can pick up. I have seen them
loaded to the brim with concrete, too much to actually move without
spilling it but the wheelbarrow was fine.

But I'm not concerned with "how much weight a CHEAP wheelbarrow can
carry".

I couldn't find a number. So, I looked at it from an "application"
standpoint: how are they typically USED?

To lug dirt around. Dirt is about a ton per cubic yard. Wheelbarrows
tend to be 4-6cu ft capacity. Guesstimate 4.5 cu ft (1/6yd) as a nominal
load size (to account for angle of repose, etc.) suggests a wheelbarrow
would typically see ~300 pounds -- when hauling dirt.

Ah, but there are things that are heavier than dirt -- like sand! At
1.5T/cu yd, that suggests a load of 450 pounds!

Then, I recall seeing the grunts hauling the concrete from the cement
truck into the neighbors' back yard in wheelbarrows. At ~2T/cu yd,
that suggests 600 pounds.

I know "aggregate" is about the same density as dirt. And, I'll
guess that "stone" (e.g., washed river rock) is about the same
density as that.

I don't know anyone who hauls gold bullion or large quantities
of coins around in a wheelbarrow. Nor anyone who hauls feathers.
The folks at the metal yard have different conveyances for the
large blocks of steel they transport. Wood isn't dense enough to
even be of interest in the calculations.

Is there anything more dense than concrete that would likely be hauled
in a wheelbarrow? Dunno. Let's ASK! (which brings me to my original
post...) I've not heard anything denser ("more challenging") than
concrete as a suggested typical load.

[I've seen landscapers transport large (potted) plants around a job
site prior to planting. But, don't see that as much heavier than
a big load of dirt -- the rootball]

Note that Vic turned up some references that describe capacities
(dimensioned by weight) that were all over the map -- presumably
to reflect the various "quality levels" of wheelbarrow products
Of course, differences in capacity may also be side-effects of other
desirable features: someone wanting a light-weight wheelbarrow
might be willing to settle for one that can't carry as much weight.
Or, someone who wants something more "watertight", etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 09:00:07 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

I couldn't find a number. So, I looked at it from an "application"
standpoint: how are they typically USED?

The real answer is any decent wheelbarrow will carry more than a user
can handle.

out

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 04/21/2016 11:16 AM, Don Y wrote:

And that still doesn't answer the question! :

And that will be specific to each model of barrow from each
manufacturer...if you actually need such a number which I doubt, ask the
folks who built the specific one you need to know for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
Soil is typ about 1T/cu yd
Sand is typ about 1.5T/cu yd
Concrete, about 2T/cu yd

Wheelbarrow capacity is typ 1/6 cu yd

So, sizing with concrete's density in mind
suggests it would never see more than ~700lb load.

Anything that you'd EXPECT to encounter with a
wheelbarrow that would EXCEED that? (i.e., you
wouldn't be lugging gold bullion around in one)

some wheelbarrows are not very sturdy. we have
one of those that Ma picked up for cheap from some
chain store.

we also have two other contractor grade wheel
barrows that were/are used for much heavier loads.

on a good surface i can fill the contractor
grade ones completely, but you have to be skilled
enough to not dump them. i'm not sure how heavy
crushed limestone or pea gravel is per load, but
it's pretty heavy, i've moved a lot of tons of
those.

the el cheapo one i don't even like to use...
the tire is narrow and the frame is wobbly.

they now make some wheelbarrows with two wheels!
i would like to get one of those some day when the
rest of these wear out and get recycled or something...

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/21/2016 10:29 AM, dpb wrote:
On 04/21/2016 11:16 AM, Don Y wrote:

And that still doesn't answer the question! :

And that will be specific to each model of barrow from each manufacturer...if
you actually need such a number which I doubt, ask the folks who built the
specific one you need to know for.

Those numbers are not published. And, I suspect if you called and
asked, it wouldn't be a simple matter of "let me look it up for you".

"Could you email me a list of the capabilities for ALL your models?
So I can evaluate that characteristic in my purchase choice?
Meanwhile, I'll check with other manufacturers -- as I don't know if
YOUR models are at the high end, or low end, of the market..."

"How many M&M's are there in this bag?"

"I don't know"

"Well, I *guess* that's a CORRECT answer. But, its not an answer to
MY question!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/21/2016 10:33 AM, songbird wrote:

So, sizing with concrete's density in mind
suggests it would never see more than ~700lb load.

Anything that you'd EXPECT to encounter with a
wheelbarrow that would EXCEED that? (i.e., you
wouldn't be lugging gold bullion around in one)

some wheelbarrows are not very sturdy. we have
one of those that Ma picked up for cheap from some
chain store.

Obviously addressing different requirements and
price points.

we also have two other contractor grade wheel
barrows that were/are used for much heavier loads.

on a good surface i can fill the contractor
grade ones completely, but you have to be skilled
enough to not dump them. i'm not sure how heavy
crushed limestone or pea gravel is per load, but
it's pretty heavy, i've moved a lot of tons of
those.

"Aggregate" products tend to be about 1T/cu yd. If you
have a 6 cu ft wheelbarrow (which is a "larger size"),
that's about 400+ pounds, fully loaded. But, once
you address limits on fill to avoid spillage (once you
tip the wheelbarrow to move it), you're probably down in
the ~4 cu ft ballpark (250 pounds).

Of course, the machine supports some of that load for
you, in transit. So, "you" can transport more than
"you" can carry!

[I've moved 300 pound refrigerators, 700 pound gun safes,
etc.; I assure you , I can't CARRY anywhere near that sort
of weight!]

the el cheapo one i don't even like to use...
the tire is narrow and the frame is wobbly.

Pneumatic tires also tend to "fail" (the seal breaks)
when twisted or leaned (sideways) too heavily. This
leaves you with a loaded wheelbarrow and a tire that
you CAN'T inflate (without taking the load off the
SINGLE tire!)

OTOH, they tend to be better on soft/uneven surfaces.

they now make some wheelbarrows with two wheels!
i would like to get one of those some day when the
rest of these wear out and get recycled or something...

Yes, they also make 4 wheel carts, ATV drawn conveyances, bobcats,
back hoes, etc. :

[I've a friend with a "personal back hoe"; another with a front
loader. Sad NOT to see them in CONSTANT use!]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 10:52:46 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

"How many M&M's are there in this bag?"

.... all of 'em
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 08:56:59 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

They are the ones most likely to buy a cheap one. A good one is not
going to break with any load a user can pick up. I have seen them
loaded to the brim with concrete, too much to actually move without
spilling it but the wheelbarrow was fine.

g: Give up. Don doesn't care about your answers, he only cares about
his question. It's his typical "I asked a specific question and not only
won't I tell you why I asked that question, I also don't want to hear
anything that doesn't answer my exact question."

Just tell him that the industry standard for the average wheelbarrow
is 674.32 lbs and be done with it.

:-)
--
"Dodgeball in Burkas" -- Greg Gutfeld
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 11:05:20 -0500, Don Y
wrote:

Soil is typ about 1T/cu yd
Sand is typ about 1.5T/cu yd
Concrete, about 2T/cu yd

Wheelbarrow capacity is typ 1/6 cu yd

So, sizing with concrete's density in mind
suggests it would never see more than ~700lb load.

Anything that you'd EXPECT to encounter with a
wheelbarrow that would EXCEED that? (i.e., you
wouldn't be lugging gold bullion around in one)

The only thing that comes to mind might be iron for
one reason or another. That probably wouldn't be something
Joe Homeowner would do.
Farmers wouldn't generally haul anything too heavy. They have
all sorts of equipment sitting around.
The only tning that comes to mind as far as sturdiness would
be shipping weight. It wouldn't be all that accurate but might
serve as a rough guide.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/21/2016 11:08 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Anything that you'd EXPECT to encounter with a
wheelbarrow that would EXCEED that? (i.e., you
wouldn't be lugging gold bullion around in one)

The only thing that comes to mind might be iron for
one reason or another.

Maybe "scrap iron". I can't imagine tradesmen using a wheelbarrow
to haul any (many?) metal things as metal pieces are often inconvenient
sizes for a wheelbarrow.

That probably wouldn't be something
Joe Homeowner would do.
Farmers wouldn't generally haul anything too heavy. They have
all sorts of equipment sitting around.

Yes. Ditto for large-scale landscapers. And, nothing liquid
as it would slosh around making a wheelbarrow a poor choice.

OTOH, someone might put a vessel IN a wheelbarrow and use it
to transport the contents of the vessel, that way. But, the
size and shape of the wheelbarrow limit the type of vessel that
might be used. E.g., you wouldn't try to move a 55G barrel
as it simply wouldn't fit (55G = ~450 pounds)

Concrete blocks (or bricks) could probably be piled higher than
something that "sags" (like WET concrete). So, you might
be able to get a heavier load (than concrete) with that sort
of approach.

I guess I can also look at what capacities bobcats can handle
and use that as a ballpark figure for the high end of what
might be expected of a wheelbarrow (specious reasoning as
you might opt to use a bobcat for reasons OTHER THAN "too
heavy for a wheelbarrow")

The only tning that comes to mind as far as sturdiness would
be shipping weight. It wouldn't be all that accurate but might
serve as a rough guide.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 12:05:40 -0400, wrote:

The real answer is any decent wheelbarrow will carry more than a user
can handle.

....and almost all wheelbarrows, if not all, will carry far less than
full capacity

:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Those numbers are not published.

Ed gave you links to about a dozen models and every one had the
recommended max weight in the specifications page
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's his typical "I asked a specific question and not only
won't I tell you why I asked that question, I also don't want to hear
anything that doesn't answer my exact question."

Attributed to Don Y

I've observed the same in the past. Sometimes he will not reply to
your answer. His intellect does no equate to common sense?
--
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

Benjamin Franklin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/21/2016 12:31 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 12:26:15 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

wrote:

Those numbers are not published.

Ed gave you links to about a dozen models and every one had the
recommended max weight in the specifications page

*Vic* gave me two links (which I acknowledged) to some models
from two vendors.

I've no idea which "house names" are made by QINGDAO YICHUN METAL
MANUFACTURE CO. so can't make even a GUESS as to how many of
the EIGHT wheelbarrows listed are sold under "more recognizable"
names -- nor where they sit quality-wise relative to other offerings.

The *one* wheelbarrow in the second link is sold at ONE store
in town -- 20 miles from here. And, again, no way to gauge
how it sits relative to other offerings.

Are these "exceptions"? Or, "The Rule"? (in the latter case,
does that mean 200, 160, 100, or 80kg is "The Rule"? : )

I told you. look at the ****ing tire. That is the weak link

Great. I'll restate my original question:

Soil is typ about 1T/cu yd
Sand is typ about 1.5T/cu yd
Concrete, about 2T/cu yd

Wheelbarrow capacity is typ 1/6 cu yd

So, sizing with concrete's density in mind
suggests it would never see more than ~700lb load.

Anything that you'd EXPECT to encounter with a
wheelbarrow that would EXCEED that? (i.e., you
wouldn't be lugging gold bullion around in one)

WHAT SIZE TIRE WOULD YOU EXPECT TO ENCOUNTER ON A WHEELBARROW?

Can you answer that one any better? Will I be able to go out
and prove your answer *wrong* with a visit to any of the local
places that sell (a VARIETY OF) wheelbarrows? Some, OBVIOUSLY
not designed with concrete (or any of those other "anythings"
that you'd expect to encounter with a wheelbarrow) in mind?

[I didn't ask about YOUR wheelbarrow or a particular model
of wheelbarrow. Why do you have so much trouble with a
question that deals with an abstraction? Why do you
need to think of it in terms of who is using it, what they
are using it for, what COLOR it is, how much it costs, etc.?]

You really don't want an answer, you just want to keep asking silly
questions

No, you keep answering a question that you THINK I'm asking instead of
the question that I *am* asking.

You might want to reread the thread (or not) and see where your
thought process "left the tracks"...

Or, simply realize that you don't have the knowledge to answer it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
"Aggregate" products tend to be about 1T/cu yd. If you
have a 6 cu ft wheelbarrow (which is a "larger size"),
that's about 400+ pounds, fully loaded. But, once
you address limits on fill to avoid spillage (once you
tip the wheelbarrow to move it), you're probably down in
the ~4 cu ft ballpark (250 pounds).

i wouldn't say it is that much less, i filled
it usually within just a few inches from the top
in front so that when i lifted the wheelbarrow
it shifted just enough to be full. this is
important when you are moving tons and tons, you
really don't want yet one more load...

Of course, the machine supports some of that load for
you, in transit. So, "you" can transport more than
"you" can carry!

[I've moved 300 pound refrigerators, 700 pound gun safes,
etc.; I assure you , I can't CARRY anywhere near that sort
of weight!]

for sure! that's why i used it. for small
jobs i carry a few buckets in the wheelbarrow
or even just carry them. depends upon what time
of the year it is and how in shape i am. right
now, the wheelbarrow carries stuff.

songbird wrote:
the el cheapo one i don't even like to use...
the tire is narrow and the frame is wobbly.

Pneumatic tires also tend to "fail" (the seal breaks)
when twisted or leaned (sideways) too heavily. This
leaves you with a loaded wheelbarrow and a tire that
you CAN'T inflate (without taking the load off the
SINGLE tire!)

OTOH, they tend to be better on soft/uneven surfaces.

we have too much uneven stuff to even contemplate
something like a hard tire.

they now make some wheelbarrows with two wheels!
i would like to get one of those some day when the
rest of these wear out and get recycled or something...

Yes, they also make 4 wheel carts, ATV drawn conveyances, bobcats,
back hoes, etc. :

[I've a friend with a "personal back hoe"; another with a front
loader. Sad NOT to see them in CONSTANT use!]

they do have these for rent... i am very much doing
the gardening i do as physical exercise with some
meaning behind it so i tend to dig with a shovel or
haul things by hand. noisy machines would have been
useful at first, but now everything is in place so
such a machine has little use for us. not that i
could not find something fun to do... but the
manager might object.

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/21/2016 12:46 PM, songbird wrote:
Don Y wrote:
"Aggregate" products tend to be about 1T/cu yd. If you
have a 6 cu ft wheelbarrow (which is a "larger size"),
that's about 400+ pounds, fully loaded. But, once
you address limits on fill to avoid spillage (once you
tip the wheelbarrow to move it), you're probably down in
the ~4 cu ft ballpark (250 pounds).

i wouldn't say it is that much less, i filled
it usually within just a few inches from the top
in front so that when i lifted the wheelbarrow
it shifted just enough to be full. this is
important when you are moving tons and tons, you
really don't want yet one more load...

Understood. I moved 20T of aggregate into the back yard...
*after* 6T of topsoil. And, another 6T for the front yard.
There is a very deliberate calculation that you make when you
trade off weight of "this load" vs. "yet another trip".

OTOH, having to go back and rake up stuff that spilled
along the way is yet another "effort" to be factored in.

Of course, the machine supports some of that load for
you, in transit. So, "you" can transport more than
"you" can carry!

[I've moved 300 pound refrigerators, 700 pound gun safes,
etc.; I assure you , I can't CARRY anywhere near that sort
of weight!]

for sure! that's why i used it. for small
jobs i carry a few buckets in the wheelbarrow
or even just carry them. depends upon what time
of the year it is and how in shape i am. right
now, the wheelbarrow carries stuff.

Nowadays, I only use the wheelbarrow to mix cement/concrete.
Any digging that I do can pile the soil up adjacent to the
hole instead of having to MOVE it any distance (a shower
curtain or tarp ON the aggregate helps keep the soil from
blending in with the aggregate to complicate cleanup).

songbird wrote:
the el cheapo one i don't even like to use...
the tire is narrow and the frame is wobbly.

Pneumatic tires also tend to "fail" (the seal breaks)
when twisted or leaned (sideways) too heavily. This
leaves you with a loaded wheelbarrow and a tire that
you CAN'T inflate (without taking the load off the
SINGLE tire!)

OTOH, they tend to be better on soft/uneven surfaces.

we have too much uneven stuff to even contemplate
something like a hard tire.

I learned the "practical limit" for the pneumatic tire unit
The Hard Way. I.e., that "extra trips" took less time and
effort than "bigger loads" -- esp when the tire could so
dramatically deflate under load.

Had I the need to do it over, I'd consider spreading
planks on the surface and riding over those.

[Or, a bobcat, like the neighbor did]

they now make some wheelbarrows with two wheels!
i would like to get one of those some day when the
rest of these wear out and get recycled or something...

Yes, they also make 4 wheel carts, ATV drawn conveyances, bobcats,
back hoes, etc. :

[I've a friend with a "personal back hoe"; another with a front
loader. Sad NOT to see them in CONSTANT use!]

they do have these for rent... i am very much doing
the gardening i do as physical exercise with some
meaning behind it so i tend to dig with a shovel or
haul things by hand.

I've dug out all of the (large!) root crowns of all of the
trees I felled, here. The largest resulted in a net deficit
of almost 7T of soil (to account for the "wood" I removed
from the ground). You can't really use a motorized tool
for this as you never have "a clear shot". And, can't get
*under* the root crown to address those tap roots.

I also watched a neighbor using a small back hoe to trench
for a new electric service "make a mistake" and catch the
natural gas line. Doesn't take much to realize there are
extra risks (potential costs) associated with those labor
savers.

noisy machines would have been
useful at first, but now everything is in place so
such a machine has little use for us. not that i
could not find something fun to do... but the
manager might object.

I would consider a back hoe to install the cistern. There
shouldn't be MUCH there that would complicate the digging.
And, get double-duty out of it by trenching for the french
drain at the same time.

As I get older, the idea of that much digging doesn't
appeal to me... (if it EVER DID!)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 12:39:27 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

WHAT SIZE TIRE WOULD YOU EXPECT TO ENCOUNTER ON A WHEELBARROW?

One that fits the wheel rim.... sheesh
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 13:04:09 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

Understood. I moved 20T of aggregate into the back yard...
*after* 6T of topsoil. And, another 6T for the front yard.
There is a very deliberate calculation that you make when you
trade off weight of "this load" vs. "yet another trip".

I just got me some Messians to do the work, like that. I love to watch
people work for a living.