Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default My Wheelbarrow!

Hi Folks - My first post to this group - I 've been lurking for years and
thought it was about time I showed off some of my work.

I had been after one of these wheelbarrows for years and when at the Garden
Centres they always said that they never stocked them because they were too
expensive! Then I found out how expensive they were - I did a Google and
found out that people were charging between 195 and 250 British Pounds for
them!

So - off I went and bought some good ole Scottish Elm, Oak and Ash and built
me one for myself!
The boards, shafts and legs are Elm, the wheel hub is Elm, the spokes are
Oak and the felloes are Ash (I got the plans for the wheel for free from
www.bobsplans.com ) These are the traditional woods for this type of
barrow - so the experts say!

So now all I have to do is get the metal tyre (tire!) for the wheel and it's
ready for work........

Regards from Sunny Scotland

Mick

Attached Thumbnails
My Wheelbarrow!-micks-wheelbarrow-jpg  My Wheelbarrow!-micks-wheelbarrow2-jpg

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Mick Strefford" wrote in message
I had been after one of these wheelbarrows for years and when at the
Garden Centres they always said that they never stocked them because they
were too expensive! Then I found out how expensive they were - I did a
Google and found out that people were charging between 195 and 250 British
Pounds for them!

So - off I went and bought some good ole Scottish Elm, Oak and Ash and
built me one for myself!
The boards, shafts and legs are Elm, the wheel hub is Elm, the spokes are
Oak and the felloes are Ash (I got the plans for the wheel for free from
www.bobsplans.com ) These are the traditional woods for this type of
barrow - so the experts say!

Good on'ya Mick. Very nice work. Is the metal tyre going to be like the
old wagon wheels, sort of a metal strap around it?

For those that may not know, the British Pounds is about $2 US right now.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

It's a thing of beauty - will you be able to bear putting it to work?

If there's ever a Mark II instance, you might want to move the box
forward. The mechanics of picking the handles up with a loaded barrow
improve if the front board is as close to the wheel as possible. No
matter with leaves or dry peat, a big deal with dirt or gravel.

My favorite barrow to use was my great uncle's, which had a large wooden
wheel and only three sides (front, two removable sides, no back). Great
for firewood with both sides removed, or dirt with the sides on, and
then removing one side to dump sideways.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

[...]

I would be afraid to put any dirt in this one.

It is just too pretty!!

Nice job on this project.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news

[...]

I am hoping that one of our local blacksmiths can make a wagon wheel tyre -
the type that is put on hot and then doused so it shrinks and compresses the
wheel
to help to give it strength - wheelrighting is a dying art these days and I
don't know if the
skills are being passed on to the new generation of 'smiths.

If that option is not available then it will have to be an open loop that is
screwed onto
the felloes.

Mick

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
It's a thing of beauty - will you be able to bear putting it to work?

If there's ever a Mark II instance, you might want to move the box
forward. The mechanics of picking the handles up with a loaded barrow
improve if the front board is as close to the wheel as possible. No
matter with leaves or dry peat, a big deal with dirt or gravel.

snip

Thanks Lawrence, a sensible suggestion to move the load nearer the fulcrum.
I'm sure there will be Mark II's once the neighbours see me trundling it
round the garden!

Mick

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Mon, 28 May 2007 17:10:40 GMT, "Mick Strefford"
wrote:

.... snip
I had been after one of these wheelbarrows for years and when at the Garden
Centres they always said that they never stocked them because they were too
expensive! Then I found out how expensive they were - I did a Google and
found out that people were charging between 195 and 250 British Pounds for
them!

So - off I went and bought some good ole Scottish Elm, Oak and Ash and built
me one for myself!
The boards, shafts and legs are Elm, the wheel hub is Elm, the spokes are
Oak and the felloes are Ash (I got the plans for the wheel for free from
www.bobsplans.com ) These are the traditional woods for this type of
barrow - so the experts say!

That's a pretty classy project

So now all I have to do is get the metal tyre (tire!) for the wheel and it's
ready for work........

Seems a shame to ruin such a fine finish by making it do work. :-)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Mick Strefford wrote:
[...]

A Work of Art!

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

The trouble with not having a job is
that you can't take a day off!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

In article ,
"Mick Strefford" wrote:

If that option is not available then it will have to be an open loop that is
screwed onto the felloes.

Despite not being as nice as the solid iron tire, the strap type can
work well in practice - one method if you have to use that is to use 2
or 3 narrow straps and put the joints at different places - none of the
joints should line up with a felloe joint.