Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Mick Strefford Mick Strefford is offline

Default My Wheelbarrow!

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news

"Mick Strefford" wrote in message
I had been after one of these wheelbarrows for years and when at the
Garden Centres they always said that they never stocked them because they
were too expensive! Then I found out how expensive they were - I did a
Google and found out that people were charging between 195 and 250
British Pounds for them!

So - off I went and bought some good ole Scottish Elm, Oak and Ash and
built me one for myself!
The boards, shafts and legs are Elm, the wheel hub is Elm, the spokes are
Oak and the felloes are Ash (I got the plans for the wheel for free from
www.bobsplans.com ) These are the traditional woods for this type of
barrow - so the experts say!

Good on'ya Mick. Very nice work. Is the metal tyre going to be like the
old wagon wheels, sort of a metal strap around it?

For those that may not know, the British Pounds is about $2 US right now.

I am hoping that one of our local blacksmiths can make a wagon wheel tyre -
the type that is put on hot and then doused so it shrinks and compresses the
wheel
to help to give it strength - wheelrighting is a dying art these days and I
don't know if the
skills are being passed on to the new generation of 'smiths.

If that option is not available then it will have to be an open loop that is
screwed onto
the felloes.

Mick