Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Wheelbarrow loads

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 21:51:02 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 4/20/2016 2:01 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/20/2016 3:37 PM, Don Y wrote:

Concrete, about 2T/cu yd

You would never try to load more than about half of that much concrete
in a wheel barrow and that would be for a guy who does it for a
living. Your average homeowner is going to struggle with 250lbs over
anything but a paved surface.

I'm not concerned with the homeowner/grunt. I'm concerned
with what the *wheelbarrow* can be expected to handle.

Make sure the tire is properly inflated so it can support the weight.

I've yet to find anything that defines what sort of weight it (any
particular manufacturer's offering) can support! Lots of offerings
but all they use to express capacity are volumes. I suspect they'd be
hard pressed to support 2 cu yds of FEATHERS, despite the (lack of) weight!

Probably why they don't give a weight rating. It will generally hold
more than a man can move if loaded fully with something very heavy
while some idiot will sue because he could not get 800 pounds of
feathers in it.

When you
load in the 1/6 yard of concrete, be sure it in in the permanent position
because you are not easily moving it. Nice lawn decoration though.

Again, not concerned with moving it -- if the wheel bearings, tire inflation
level, support arms, bucket, etc. can support the load (whatever # that
might be).

Stationary, it can support a lot. Moving, it is a matter of balance
and muscle. So you load it to capacity with gold bullion from under
the bed and you want to take it to the bank. The unit can take the
weight, but you lift and spill it because it is too heavy. You then
sue the manufacturer because they said you can move 2500 pounds.

Just like a measuring cup, volume is what counts, the rest is common
sense.