Posted to alt.home.repair
songbird songbird is offline

Default Wheelbarrow loads

Don Y wrote:
"Aggregate" products tend to be about 1T/cu yd. If you
have a 6 cu ft wheelbarrow (which is a "larger size"),
that's about 400+ pounds, fully loaded. But, once
you address limits on fill to avoid spillage (once you
tip the wheelbarrow to move it), you're probably down in
the ~4 cu ft ballpark (250 pounds).

i wouldn't say it is that much less, i filled
it usually within just a few inches from the top
in front so that when i lifted the wheelbarrow
it shifted just enough to be full. this is
important when you are moving tons and tons, you
really don't want yet one more load...

Of course, the machine supports some of that load for
you, in transit. So, "you" can transport more than
"you" can carry!

[I've moved 300 pound refrigerators, 700 pound gun safes,
etc.; I assure you , I can't CARRY anywhere near that sort
of weight!]

for sure! that's why i used it. for small
jobs i carry a few buckets in the wheelbarrow
or even just carry them. depends upon what time
of the year it is and how in shape i am. right
now, the wheelbarrow carries stuff.

songbird wrote:
the el cheapo one i don't even like to use...
the tire is narrow and the frame is wobbly.

Pneumatic tires also tend to "fail" (the seal breaks)
when twisted or leaned (sideways) too heavily. This
leaves you with a loaded wheelbarrow and a tire that
you CAN'T inflate (without taking the load off the
SINGLE tire!)

OTOH, they tend to be better on soft/uneven surfaces.

we have too much uneven stuff to even contemplate
something like a hard tire.

they now make some wheelbarrows with two wheels!
i would like to get one of those some day when the
rest of these wear out and get recycled or something...

Yes, they also make 4 wheel carts, ATV drawn conveyances, bobcats,
back hoes, etc. :

[I've a friend with a "personal back hoe"; another with a front
loader. Sad NOT to see them in CONSTANT use!]

they do have these for rent... i am very much doing
the gardening i do as physical exercise with some
meaning behind it so i tend to dig with a shovel or
haul things by hand. noisy machines would have been
useful at first, but now everything is in place so
such a machine has little use for us. not that i
could not find something fun to do... but the
manager might object.

songbird