Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grass / Weeds growing between patio blocks

Last summer I put in a small patio, using 16" pre-cast blocks. I put
sand under the blocks, and it's remained pretty level. But due to it's
location, I have had muddy water run across it after heavy rain. I'm
presently working on installing some drainage pipes for rain water.

But the reason for posting this is because there is grass and weeds
growing between the blocks, and before I got down on my knees and
starting pulling them, it was starting to look like a lawn, not a patio.
I'm guessing the mud added some soil to the cracks, which stimulated
growth of vegetation.

Is there some chemical made to stop this?

I did try pouring some gasoline in the cracks, because I had some gas
that got water in it, but that was just a quart or so. I have not
noticed any new growth in those cracks (with the gas), but thats
probably not the safest method, and I doubt it will last long.

Any tips????

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 6, 2015 at 6:37:34 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

i use gasoline to kill grass and weeds growing in cracks in my front sidewalk. mostly because when it snows in the winter the weeds make shoeviling difficult.

it lasts a long time. i have done this for my entire life

you can use round up. its perhaps better for the environmet, and will certinally also kill the vegation
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 06 Aug 2015 05:34:53 -0500, wrote in

Is there some chemical made to stop this?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Roundup-1...0210/203687082

Works great.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/2015 7:31 AM, CRNG wrote:
On Thu, 06 Aug 2015 05:34:53 -0500, wrote in

Is there some chemical made to stop this?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Roundup-1...0210/203687082

Works great.

Wife found one of these a couple of weeks ago when putting shopping cart
in remote container and there it sat in an another supposedly empty
cart. Wondered what it cost.

I've been using it on weeds growing in cracks and areas where nothing is
to grow. Takes a few days to see results but as you say, works great.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Roundup works to kill what's there, but won't prevent more from
immediately starting to germinate. Also, if you use more than

The other choice is one of the extended duration products that
not only kills the weeds, but keeps new ones from germinating
for most of the season.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/2015 5:34 AM, wrote:
Last summer I put in a small patio, using 16" pre-cast blocks. I put
sand under the blocks, and it's remained pretty level. But due to it's
location, I have had muddy water run across it after heavy rain. I'm
presently working on installing some drainage pipes for rain water.

But the reason for posting this is because there is grass and weeds
growing between the blocks
Any tips????

Laticrete Paver LinkLocking Sand - Grey Color

Secure your pavers in place with Paver Link Locking Sand from
Laticrete. Specially designed for wide joints, this revolutionary
brush-in joint filler is seven times stronger than traditional
polymeric sand. To use, simply open the pail, disperse the product and
brush into the joints to get a safe and strong bond. Since the locking
sand sets hard when exposed to air, it requires no water, skilled
labor, tools or cleanup.

Grey Color
7 times stronger than polymeric sand
For joints ¼" or wider
Air Cured - No watering required
No washout
Helps prevent weed growth and joint erosion

http://www.menards.com/main/building...79936368323347

***

GST International Lock 'N Seal Concrete Paver, Sealer and Joint Sand
Stabilizer - 5 gal.

The GST International Lock 'N Seal Concrete Paver, Sealer and Joint
Sand Stabilizer is designed specifically as a penetrating sealer for
interlocking paving stone installations. It gives superior protection
against stains while providing a flexible, water-resistant bond that
inhibits potential water damage to the joints and paver system.
Sealing the space between the pavers with Lock 'N Seal reduces the
permeability of the sand joint, which inhibits weed growth and ant
mines. Lock 'N Seal enhances, brightens and beautifies the natural
beauty and color of the pavers while improving durability and
resistance to fading. This product can be applied immediately after
paver installation. It will resist most stains up to several days, but
oils and solvents should be wiped up immediately following a spill.
This product is VOC , EPA and OSHA compliant, water-based and
UV-resistant, making it the ultimate concrete interlocking paver
sealer and joint sand stabilizer.

Bonds and locks down joint sand
Repels oil, grease and radiator rust stains
Inhibits weeds and grass between pavers
Resistant to UV and acid rain
Recoatable and fast drying
Enhances color without darkening
Eases sweeping and cleaning
For use on shopping centers, seaport installations and
interlocking concrete pavers
Also for use on unglazed tiles such as Saltillo, paving stones,
masonry brick and natural stone

http://www.menards.com/main/building...79936368323347

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-08-06, trader_4 wrote:

Apparently you don't deplore it as much as you do using a chemical
that's safe.....

"Safe"? Now there's a term I've never heard applied to glyphosate.

Is that "safe" as in Agent Orange "safe" or PCB "safe" or DDT "safe"?

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-08-06, trader_4 wrote:

Apparently you don't deplore it as much as you do using a chemical
that's safe.....

"Safe"? Now there's a term I've never heard applied to glyphosate.

Of course you haven't because you only look at one side and
have your mind made up regardless of the facts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-08-06, trader_4 wrote:

Of course you haven't because you only look at one side and
have your mind made up regardless of the facts.

I notice you did not address the other part of my post. What is an
indisputable "fact", is, Monsanto has been lying to, --let's not
forget poisoning!-- us, for decades.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-08-06, trader_4 wrote:

Apparently you don't deplore it as much as you do using a chemical
that's safe.....

"Safe"? Now there's a term I've never heard applied to glyphosate.

Is that "safe" as in Agent Orange "safe" or PCB "safe" or DDT "safe"?

Uh, it's "you can drink it" safe.

Never heard the term applied to glycophosphate?
You don't get around much.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

spoken like a true liberal

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-08-06, Dan Espen wrote:

Uh, it's "you can drink it" safe.

You are quoting who? Monsanto?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovKw6YjqSfM

Never heard the term applied to glycophosphate?

I get around enough to know when I'm being lied to.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

In the urban centers of Southern Africa, the middle class Africans use lion blood to kill weeds that pop up between the stones on their patios. The natural insecticide isn't as widely available as it once was because of dwindling supplies which will now be cut off because of new government regulations. The hapless homeowners are hunting for a supply of the environmentally safe herbicide wherever they can find it but may be forced to rely on illegal foreign sources for the extremely effective natural product. Foreign suppliers are complaining that it's so difficult for them to get ahead. Ê•—žà¸´ì˜¤—Ÿà¸´Ê”

[8~{} Uncle Weed Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-08-06, trader_4 wrote:

Apparently you don't deplore it as much as you do using a chemical
that's safe.....

"Safe"? Now there's a term I've never heard applied to glyphosate.

Is that "safe" as in Agent Orange "safe" or PCB "safe" or DDT "safe"?

Uh, it's "you can drink it" safe.

Never heard the term applied to glycophosphate?
You don't get around much.

I can drink orange juice, but that doesn't mean it
is safe to pour in my lawn.

Can't quote the source, but on TV one time I saw
a guy claim it was drink it safe. The TV guy
reached under the table and pulled out a spray
bottle of roundup he said he bought earlier that
day. Invited the guy to drink it, the guy
refused. Wisely so, I think.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-08-06, Dan Espen wrote:

Uh, it's "you can drink it" safe.

You are quoting who? Monsanto?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovKw6YjqSfM

No. Monsanto had nothing to do with establishing
the Lethal Dose. That's done by guys wearing lab coats at the EPA:

Laboratory Testing: Before pesticides are registered by
the U.S. EPA, they must undergo laboratory testing for
short-term (acute) and long-term (chronic) health effects.
Laboratory animals are purposely given high enough doses
to cause toxic effects. These tests help scientists judge how
these chemicals might affect humans, domestic animals,
and wildlife in cases of overexposure.

Try something with some information in it instead
of "theater".

http://tinyurl.com/oqds7kr

Never heard the term applied to glycophosphate?

I get around enough to know when I'm being lied to.

Why would I lie? I could be mistaken, but I have
no motive to lie.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/15 7:31 AM, CRNG wrote:
On Thu, 06 Aug 2015 05:34:53 -0500, wrote
in

Is there some chemical made to stop this?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Roundup-1...0210/203687082

Works great.

More than once, a neighbor bought that stuff for me to apply along her
fences and driveway cracks. I was always glad when I ran out because I
found it a hassle.

Enough store-brand glyphosate to make 20 gallons costs less than the
above item. I mix it in a 1-gallon Chapin 20000. The sprayers HD sells
may be similar; some may even be the same thing under different labels.

To measure, I use a sort of plastic test tube with a scoop on the end,
sold in a healthcare aisle for measuring medicine. It's marked in ml. I
just have to remember, 15ml = 1 tablespoon, 30ml = 1 ounce.

I'll often mix just a quart. The sprayer will spray down to the last
ounce. The wand extends 15" beyond my hand, which makes it easier to
apply precisely if I'm walking along treating hundreds of feet. The
pattern is infinitely adjustable from a broad mist to a stream. For
real precision, it can spray at a low pressure, where the herbicide
trickles out.

I won't mix a batch for weeds in cracks, but it's easy to get them on
the way by when I mix a quart for other problems.

It takes several days to see results from glyphosate. HD has some
Spectracide concentrate that works in hours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/06/2015 10:00 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

No. Monsanto had nothing to do with establishing
the Lethal Dose. That's done by guys wearing lab coats at the EPA:

Laboratory Testing: Before pesticides are registered by
the U.S. EPA, they must undergo laboratory testing for
short-term (acute) and long-term (chronic) health effects.
Laboratory animals are purposely given high enough doses
to cause toxic effects. These tests help scientists judge how
these chemicals might affect humans, domestic animals,
and wildlife in cases of overexposure.

The e-pee-a is a wholly-owned subsidiary of mon-scam-toe.

If you think there is anyone in the government protecting you from the toxic sludge bigPharma or bigChem makes, I got a bridge to sell you.

Now run along and take the statins that your allopathic drug pusher prescribed...if you can still remember where you put them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/6/2015 2:49 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
In the urban centers of Southern Africa, the

middle class Africans use lion blood to kill
weeds that pop up between the stones on their
patios. The natural insecticide isn't as widely
available as it once was because of dwindling
supplies which will now be cut off because of
new government regulations. The hapless home
owners are hunting for a supply of the
environmentally safe herbicide wherever they can
find it but may be forced to rely on illegal
foreign sources for the extremely effective
natural product. Foreign suppliers are complaining
that it's so difficult for them to get ahead. Ê•—žà¸´ì˜¤—Ÿà¸´Ê”

[8~{} Uncle Weed Monster

The middle class Africans might contact Lioned Parenthood,
and see what they charge for lion fetal tissue. Rich
in all the weed killing properties. Just give it a spin
in a Waring Blendor, and add a couple ice cubes. Good to
go. No sampling on the way to the sidewalk.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy writes:

On 08/06/2015 10:00 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

No. Monsanto had nothing to do with establishing
the Lethal Dose. That's done by guys wearing lab coats at the EPA:

Laboratory Testing: Before pesticides are registered by
the U.S. EPA, they must undergo laboratory testing for
short-term (acute) and long-term (chronic) health effects.
Laboratory animals are purposely given high enough doses
to cause toxic effects. These tests help scientists judge how
these chemicals might affect humans, domestic animals,
and wildlife in cases of overexposure.

The e-pee-a is a wholly-owned subsidiary of mon-scam-toe.

If you think there is anyone in the government protecting you from the
toxic sludge bigPharma or bigChem makes, I got a bridge to sell you.

Now run along and take the statins that your allopathic drug pusher
prescribed...if you can still remember where you put them.

You're sentiments reflect the sad state of our society.

People find a ridiculous bit of theater on youtube more
convincing than a fact sheet full of numbers based on
laboratory studies.

Oh well.

Good luck with your homeopathy, I'm going to stick with
conventional medicine. Silly me.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 9:08:06 AM UTC-5, net cop wrote:
Andy writes:

[...]

Hell, physicians have damn near killed me but I survived and I'm, and I'm, err, what was I saying? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Confused Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 10:08:06 AM UTC-4, net cop wrote:
Andy writes:

[...]

+1

Also, we're talking about using some Roundup to spray cracks
in a patio, which is very minimal usage. If you're worried about
that, better through out all the chemical cleaners, detergents,
and other common products found in your house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-08-07, Dan Espen wrote:

No. Monsanto had nothing to do with establishing
the Lethal Dose. That's done by guys wearing lab coats at the EPA:

Unfortunately, "the guys wearing lab coats at the EPA" do not make
policy. The bureaucrats at the EPA do. Who are they? Why "they" are
mostly ex-Monsanto 'crats. Whatta surprise!:

http://tinyurl.com/oasdxkz

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-08-07, Muggles wrote:
On 8/7/2015 7:14 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

in a Waring Blendor.........

{{{gag}}}

In Africa, I think they are called Warring Blendors.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-08-07, Dan Espen wrote:

No. Monsanto had nothing to do with establishing
the Lethal Dose. That's done by guys wearing lab coats at the EPA:

Unfortunately, "the guys wearing lab coats at the EPA" do not make
policy. The bureaucrats at the EPA do. Who are they? Why "they" are
mostly ex-Monsanto 'crats. Whatta surprise!:

http://tinyurl.com/oasdxkz

So, you see "policy" in that fact sheet?
If there was any there, I skipped over it.
The opinions of bureaucrats and fear mongerers are just that,
opinions.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2015 9:08 AM, Dan Espen wrote:
Andy writes:

[...]

I've read that the chemicals in Roundup can not only cause cancer, but
also liver and kidney problems.

http://www.gmoevidence.com/criigen-g...emature-death/

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-08-07, Dan Espen wrote:

So, you see "policy" in that fact sheet?

Oh, I see how yer kinda reality works. You didn't see it, so
therefore it must not exist. Kinda like GMOs. You haven't exploded,
yet, so they must be OK.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/15 2:03 PM, Muggles wrote:

I've read that the chemicals in Roundup can not only cause cancer, but
also liver and kidney problems.

http://www.gmoevidence.com/criigen-g...emature-death/

I clicked the link to the study and got a 404. I went to the CRIIGEN
site. That study isn't in their files of studies.

A few years ago, a couple of reputable scientists fed beagles various
doses of borax for three months. The highest was equivalent to my
eating nearly a pound a week for three months.

They noted that all the beagles appeared and acted healthy. Then they
butchered a male and a female from each group. They noted that the brain
and testicles of the male fed the highest dose weighed less than those
of the beagles who had been fed less or none at all.

Suddenly, borax was out of fashion among bodybuilders. Scientists who
reviewed the study said one could not draw meaningful conclusions from a
single dog. I don't think the scientists who did the study drew a
conclusion. I think the pharmaceutical industry used that anomaly as
propaganda. Shortly after discontinuing the borax, the scientists had
butchered a second set of beagles and found that those fed the most
borax had the same organ weights as the others.

That's why I'd like to see on what basis they say GMO corn or Roundup
causes problems. CRIIGEN was founded as an anti-GMO group. French
authorities have banned words of English origin ever since Shakespeare's
time. I think CRIIGEN is a manifestation of the same French bigotry.

I don't eat French fries. I have my own secret recipe for freedom
fries. I'll bet CRIIGEN would love to find out what it is so they could
lobby the EPA to outlaw it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2015 3:03 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 8/7/15 2:03 PM, Muggles wrote:

[...]

These days I'm not sure who to believe when it comes to chemicals like
what's in RoundUp. I'd like to believe it's safe to use, but I just
don't know.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/15 4:19 PM, Muggles wrote:
These days I'm not sure who to believe when it comes to chemicals like
what's in RoundUp. I'd like to believe it's safe to use, but I just
don't know.

I play it safe by eating freedom fries in the morning and pinto beans in
the evening. Potato and bean farmers don't use Roundup.

http://positivemed.com/2013/09/17/15...-french-fries/

This page talks about the benefits of French fries, which they point out
are actually Belgian fries. I suspect that Belgian fries are identical
to my freedom fries because freedom from France is the whole point of
being Belgian.

#7 says without adequate potassium, you'll be tireder, weaker, and
slower in reflexes. Not good for working on a sloped roof.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 3:03:29 PM UTC-5, J Burns wrote:
On 8/7/15 2:03 PM, Muggles wrote:

[...]

I clicked on the link and went right to it. I saw horrifying pictures of poor cute fuzzy white lab rats horribly disfigured by huge tumors. They looked like the elephant rat. The poor things, those researchers should be fed Roundup for what they did to those adorable fuzzy wuzzies. o_O

http://www.gmoevidence.com/wp-conten...umors-Rats.jpg

[8~{} Uncle Lab Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/15 5:30 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I clicked on the link and went right to it. I saw horrifying pictures
of poor cute fuzzy white lab rats horribly disfigured by huge tumors.
They looked like the elephant rat. The poor things, those researchers
should be fed Roundup for what they did to those adorable fuzzy
wuzzies. o_O

http://www.gmoevidence.com/wp-conten...umors-Rats.jpg

[8~{} Uncle Lab Monster

Walt Disney would hit the ceiling if he caught them squeezing Roger Rat
so hard that his guts popped out. They should be locked up in the
Bastille with the Marquis de Sade.

#7 says without adequate potassium, you'll be tireder, weaker, and
slower in reflexes. Not good for working on a sloped roof.

I would have to read this right about dinner time. I quit eating french
fries because of the oil/fat content in them. After putting up that
shelf I'm good and hungry now, too. {{resist temptation}}

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 4:03:29 PM UTC-4, J Burns wrote:
On 8/7/15 2:03 PM, Muggles wrote:

I've read that the chemicals in Roundup can not only cause cancer, but
also liver and kidney problems.

http://www.gmoevidence.com/criigen-g...emature-death/

I clicked the link to the study and got a 404. I went to the CRIIGEN
site. That study isn't in their files of studies.

A few years ago, a couple of reputable scientists fed beagles various
doses of borax for three months. The highest was equivalent to my
eating nearly a pound a week for three months.

Congratulations Sir! Your skepticism and critical thinking is spot
on. There's a reason you got a 404 error. That study was withdrawn
from the peer reviewed science journal it was published in because
of overwhelming criticism and debunking by peer scientists, with concerns
ranging from poor methods to fraud.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...78691512005637

"This article has been retracted: please see Elsevier Policy on Article Withdrawal (http://www.elsevier.com/locate/withdrawalpolicy).

The journal Food and Chemical Toxicology retracts the article "Long term toxicity of a Roundup herbicide and a Roundup-tolerant genetically modified maize," which was published in this journal in November 2012. This retraction comes after a thorough and time-consuming analysis of the published article and the data it reports, along with an investigation into the peer-review behind the article. The Editor in-Chief deferred making any public statements regarding this article until this investigation was complete, and the authors were notified of the findings."

But the folks with an agenda apparently keep using it anyway and some
people are easily duped.

#7 says without adequate potassium, you'll be tireder, weaker, and
slower in reflexes. Not good for working on a sloped roof.

I would have to read this right about dinner time. I quit eating french
fries because of the oil/fat content in them. After putting up that
shelf I'm good and hungry now, too. {{resist temptation}}

I'll have to measure how much oil I use. It's just enough to transfer
heat from the pan to the bottoms of the potato cubes. If it's a
tablespoon, and it all ends up on my plate, that's about 100 calories.
The government recommends that 30% of calories be fat, so that's a
fraction of what I need.

It's probably not more than 150 grams of potato. That would be about
600 mg of potassium and 140 calories. Hmmm.... 41% of calories from fat,
not far from government guidelines.

My butter consumption went down after I started eating freedom fries
every day. So I guess they help meet my fat needs. I use canola oil.
It's mostly monounsaturated, like olive oil, which Popeye loved as much
as spinach.

It has lots of omega-3, which is supposed to improve cognitive ability
for those of us who are a little slow. Maybe that explains how after
all these years, I finally figured out how to use a stud finder, and it
took only 15 minutes! I'm a regular wiz kid!

#7 says without adequate potassium, you'll be tireder, weaker, and
[...]

lol you're funny! I appreciate the humor.

I have southern blood running through my veins, and fried potatoes are
like home town cooking for me. The oil in them doesn't like me as much
as I like the oil in the fried potatoes ever since I had my gall bladder
out some years ago.

--
Maggie

I want to kill the weeds in my St. Augustine grass bob callaway Home Repair 45 March 17th 10 04:55 PM
Grass growing jIM Home Repair 16 June 17th 06 12:33 AM
Kill The Weeds, Not The Grass John Home Repair 8 January 27th 05 02:45 AM
Grass growing.. now what? Michael Cunningham Home Ownership 4 September 25th 04 02:05 AM
Laying sodded grass over weeds? [email protected] Home Ownership 5 September 21st 04 02:14 AM