John

Default Kill The Weeds, Not The Grass

All:

I'm looking for some recommendations of dry weed killer that can be
applied to my lawn via a Scott's fertilizer spreader. Clearly, I don't
want it to kill my grass.

Thanks in advance.

John
Matt

I always had good luck with Ortho products... Weed B Gone. But I used
Liquid.... Dunno if there is a granule form.

Duane Bozarth

John wrote:

All:

I'm looking for some recommendations of dry weed killer that can be
applied to my lawn via a Scott's fertilizer spreader. Clearly, I don't
want it to kill my grass.

Go to your local home and garden supply...there're a "veritale plethora"
of products. Which is best depends on where you are and what you're
trying to combat...
John

snip

Go to your local home and garden supply...there're a "veritale plethora"
of products. Which is best depends on where you are and what you're
trying to combat...

Lots of liquids, and powdered "weed-and-feeds" but hardly any
powdered, weed-killer-only products. Hence the question.

Joseph Meehan

BTW Ignore the local troll with unless to harmful advice. He will be
gone as soon as the schools open up again.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
"Matt" wrote in message
ups.com...
I always had good luck with Ortho products... Weed B Gone. But I used
Liquid.... Dunno if there is a granule form.

Joseph Meehan

First step is to pick out any good brand and apply it EXACTLY as
directed. No more no less at the right time of the growing season and right
weather conditions.

Next you need to make it hard for the weeds and good for the grass. In
fact, depending on where you are, you should start that first. Don't follow
the standard procedures on the packages of fertilizers. Start by contacting
your local county extension agent (if US) or the equivalent in other
countries. Ask them about a soil test to determine what fertilizer if any
you may need as well as other soil conditioners. Don't cut your grass too
short, it is hard on the grass and makes it easy for the weeds. Most cool
weather grasses need at least 2 ½ inches if not three. Water only when
really needed. Let the grass dry out a little, it's harder on the weeds
than the grass. I suggest looking for slow release nitrogen (ideally organic
for long term soil improvement) I find I can fertilize twice a year, early
spring and mid fall and have a far better lawn than my neighbors who
fertilize four and five times a year. I might add that most of my neighbors
now follow my procedure.

I spot weed kill about once a month, takes 10 minutes.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
"John" wrote in message
news
All:

I'm looking for some recommendations of dry weed killer that can be
applied to my lawn via a Scott's fertilizer spreader. Clearly, I don't
want it to kill my grass.

Thanks in advance.

John

Duane Bozarth

John wrote:

snip

Go to your local home and garden supply...there're a "veritale plethora"
of products. Which is best depends on where you are and what you're
trying to combat...

Lots of liquids, and powdered "weed-and-feeds" but hardly any
powdered, weed-killer-only products. Hence the question.

Well, there's a reason for that...

The application is much more effective in liquid form and cheaper as
well...

Still can make no specific recommendation w/o knowing what you're after,
where you are, etc., etc., etc., (as the King said)

For dandylions and other "ordinary" broadleaf weeds, any of the common
broadleaf killers will do. Just be particularly careful about ones
which are labeled as "systemic" as they will potentially injure other
plants from root takeup, not just from leaf adsorption. Also be careful
of overspray, of course.
m Ransley

Joe Meehan I didnt see "matt " as a troll, or wrong , I have used
Liquids alot. I like them since my dogs can go out to an unpolluted
lawn sooner than waiting for Granules to disipate , a good rain usualy
does it . I had cancer years ago cut off a healthy dog ,then and now
years later she is OK. . I feel if chemicals are a must, get them out
of animals harm-way fast , such is Liquid .

Liquid fertilizer is crap, as is " Chemlawn " "Cancerlawn" Natural
nitrogen and amendments are best all around...

Joseph Meehan

m Ransley wrote:
Joe Meehan I didnt see "matt " as a troll, or wrong ,

As I recall the specific product mentioned will also kill the grass.