Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I want to kill the weeds in my St. Augustine grass

What is the process to use to kill the weeds in my st. Augustine grass. I
know it's not a overnight process, but I have to start somewhere?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob callaway" wrote in message
What is the process to use to kill the weeds in my st. Augustine
grass. I know it's not a overnight process, but I have to start
somewhere?

You don't say where you are, and it makes a difference. Corn
Glutton is
very good to keep weed seeds from germinating, but must be used
before
seeds germinate.

Whatever, do NOT use poison / herbicide such as Round Up.

A very effective way to get rid of weeds, and also good for
yourself,
is to pull them - probably the best way.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob callaway wrote:
What is the process to use to kill the weeds in my st. Augustine
grass. I know it's not a overnight process, but I have to start
somewhere?

A lush St Augistine lawn will choke most out, so properly tending to the
grass - and keeping it neatly mowed - will be a big help.

As for the rest, it depends entirely on the type of weed as to which poison
is appropriate. Ask at your local lawn and garden shop. Take a sample weed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 15:27:32 -0500, "bob callaway"
wrote:

What is the process to use to kill the weeds in my st. Augustine grass. I
know it's not a overnight process, but I have to start somewhere?

Is St. Augustine somehow different from other grass? I generally just apply
fertilizer with a broadleaf weed killer in the spring, after the second or
third mowing. Something like (but pretty much any brand will do):
http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/pr...roId=prod70020

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What is the process to use to kill the weeds in my st. Augustine grass. I
know it's not a overnight process, but I have to start somewhere?

Is St. Augustine somehow different from other grass? I generally just apply
fertilizer with a broadleaf weed killer in the spring, after the second or
third mowing. Something like (but pretty much any brand will do):
http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/pr...roId=prod70020

St. Augustine is very different and requires special herbicides. Weed
BGone always worked for us for BROADLEAF weeds...used it when hubby was
building manager for our condo. We had loads of dollar weed and other
broadleaafs...WBG killed almost all of the dollar weed first appl. It
is not necessary to use every year...once treated, with proper mowing
and watering, only spot treatment is needed. Grassy weeds, like goose
grass, need other herbicides and very careful timing because they are
pre-emergents herbicides.

Have to be careful with WBG not to get it on shrubs and other broadleaf
plants. There is a caution, I think, about using in root zones but it
never hurt any other plants when we used it. Weeds should be "actively
growing", so we would fertilize and then treat for weeds about two weeks
later. WBG, last time I used it, was labeled for St. Augustine
specifically; don't use an herbicide that is not. Don't want to use
when weather is very hot/dry.

A slow-release fertilizer is also best to use. $cott's is a brand I avoid;

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 18:56:34 -0400, "

wrote:

[...]

The link above does say it's for St. Augustine. I've used similar products on
Kentucky Blue, Creeping Red Fescue, and the Zoysia we have now, all with good
results. Zoysia is another species that grows so dense nothing else has a
chance. Well, I do see a little clover since it wakes up earlier in the
spring.

A slow-release fertilizer is also best to use. $cott's is a brand I avoid;

It's only a little on the pricey side.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 4:27*pm, "bob callaway" wrote:
What is the process to use to kill the weeds in my st. Augustine grass. I
know it's not a overnight process, but I have to start somewhere?

St Augustine grass usually needs little help. It will choke out just
about anything if it is healthy. Best thing is to keep it watered and
fertilized and it will do its thing. St Augustine does go dormant in
the winter. If the weeds are coming up before it comes out of its
dormant period you can go ahead and spray with Roundup and it wont
hurt the grass. This gets rid of most weeds, wild onions and competing
grasses.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Mar 14, 8:10*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 17:09:47 -0500, "

wrote:
Is St. Augustine somehow different from other grass? *I generally just apply
fertilizer with a broadleaf weed killer in the spring, after the second or
third mowing. *

St Augustine is a weed but it is about the only thing that grows in
Florida. It is probably Floratam. They have plenty of chemicals to
keep this weed going but I won't screw with it. Too much water
required to keep it alive and too much maintenance (there are some
bugs that just love it). *Plant Bahia after it dies out from a drought
and get on with your life.

Bahia?? I hope that was a joke. Ok for pastures but definitely a bad
choice for a lawn with it's 12" overnight growth seed heads.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Scott's sells a lot of chemical that is not needed..."if a little is
good, a lot is a hell of a lot better"...nobody needs routine weed
control. Proper mowing, feeding and watering will do a great deal to
keep weeds down. All-over weed control might be good once; after that,
maintenance will keep weeds down. Hand pulling one weed might get rid
of hundreds of seeds...common sense. If they begin to get out of
control, then spot treat. IMO, Scotts are like the exterminators who
will not do a one time treatment but insist on only selling "programs"
that overdose the environ with poison.

There are different versions of Weed B Gone, or were last time I shopped.
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
On Mar 14, 4:27 pm, "bob callaway" wrote:
What is the process to use to kill the weeds in my st. Augustine grass. I
know it's not a overnight process, but I have to start somewhere?

St Augustine grass usually needs little help. It will choke out just
about anything if it is healthy. Best thing is to keep it watered and
fertilized and it will do its thing. St Augustine does go dormant in
the winter. If the weeds are coming up before it comes out of its
dormant period you can go ahead and spray with Roundup and it wont
hurt the grass. This gets rid of most weeds, wild onions and competing
grasses.

Jimmie

Roundup kills everything, including grass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 23:12:01 -0400, "

wrote:

[...]

Sure. The reason for the early application of the broadleaf/crabgrass killer
is to get it as it emerges. You don't know it's there until it does and then
it's too late to do anything about it. It's a lot easier to nip this stuff in
the bud, so to speak.

Proper mowing, feeding and watering will do a great deal to
keep weeds down. All-over weed control might be good once; after that,
maintenance will keep weeds down.

Sure, that's pretty much what I do. Watering isn't always possible, however.
Weeds can get a foothold pretty quickly.

Hand pulling one weed might get rid
of hundreds of seeds...common sense. If they begin to get out of
control, then spot treat. IMO, Scotts are like the exterminators who
will not do a one time treatment but insist on only selling "programs"
that overdose the environ with poison.

The "poisons" are very short lived. Like I said, I do it once in the spring
and fertilize once in the late summer or early fall. ...and pile on the ant
killer by the ton. ;-)

There are different versions of Weed B Gone, or were last time I shopped.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Mar 14, 7:50*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Mar 14, 4:27*pm, "bob callaway" wrote:

What is the process to use to kill the weeds in my st. Augustine grass. I
know it's not a overnight process, but I have to start somewhere?

St Augustine grass usually needs little help. It will choke out just
about anything if it is healthy. Best thing is to keep it watered and
fertilized and it will do its thing. St Augustine does go dormant in
the winter. If the weeds are coming up before it comes out of its
dormant period you can go ahead and spray with Roundup and it wont
hurt the grass. This gets rid of most weeds, wild onions and competing
grasses.

Jimmie

Yeah, well that depends on where you live, what kind of seeds are
being spread in the air, and what kind of bugs are present.

At the last home that I owned all I did was water my St Augustine lawn
and use some Scott's Weed and Feed once or twice a year.

In the home I'm in now, I've re-sodded it 3 times in 8 yrs, and as of
now I have nothing but weeds.....again And that was with watering,
fertilizing, spot killing weeds, bug treatment (mostly for chinch
bugs), re-sodding small areas that died, everything short of using a
lawn service. It's gonna stay weeds now. As long as it's green I have
other things to spend money on. F it.

BTW, in the cul-de-sac that I live in, one person that uses a lawn
service has a decent lawn, and she still gets brown patches every yr
for whatever reason. In my last home, there were never any brown
patches, and the turf was so thick you could walk on it with your bare
feet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Mar 14, 3:27*pm, "bob callaway" wrote:
What is the process to use to kill the weeds in my st. Augustine grass. I
know it's not a overnight process, but I have to start somewhere?

Scott's Weed and Feed if it's a nice healthy lawn. Unless you have
those weeds that have "spurs". I can't think of the name of them right
now, but there is only one product that will kill them. It's very
expensive and you have to get it from a specialty store. Home Depot or
Lowes doesn't carry it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:
On Mar 14, 7:50 pm, JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

Resod 3 x in 8 years?!! That's insane. You in Florida? Sounds like
Florida lawns....we couldn't kill our lawn 3 x in 8 years if we tried
) Common mistake here is to treat for chinch bugs when the actual
problem is watering too much or wrong time of day so the lawn stays wet
too long. Water deep, early morning, 2x week. St. Augustine can look a
little wilty before it needs water badly. Weed and feed 2x year is
overkill. No lawn should need all-over herbicide 2x year. Slow release
nitrogen, cheap version, does very nicely.

My mom used indoor/outdoor "program" for pest control .. could smell the
malathion indoors with the house closed up. I don't worry about the
bugs that live outdoors, but kill the ones that come indoors. Our condo
had carpenter ant infestations all around the property and with two
units having bad indoor infestations when we moved here...cleaned up
dead wood in hedges, trimmed trees, repaired damaged wood on outside of
bldg., repaired damaged roof and the carpenter ants were gone and
haven't returned.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Mar 15, 9:03*pm, Ron wrote:
On Mar 14, 3:27*pm, "bob callaway" wrote:

What is the process to use to kill the weeds in my st. Augustine grass. I
know it's not a overnight process, but I have to start somewhere?

Scott's Weed and Feed if it's a nice healthy lawn. Unless you have
those weeds that have "spurs". I can't think of the name of them right
now, but there is only one product that will kill them. It's very
expensive and you have to get it from a specialty store. Home Depot or
Lowes doesn't carry it.

Globe sedge is what it's called, and it is very hard to get rid of.
Some lawn services won't even guarantee complete removal.

http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/Weeds/Sedge_Globe.aspx

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Mar 15, 9:15*pm, "
wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Mar 14, 7:50 pm, JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

Yep, Orlando. Like I said, home 1 lawn fine with little work. Home 2
lawn sucks. No matter what I've tried I couldn't keep it alive. I'm
done with it. Obviously this cul-de-sac is just a bad area to try and
have a nice lawn. Had a neighbor that re-sodded theirs 2 yrs ago, and
now 75% of it is weeds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:
On Mar 14, 3:27 pm, "bob callaway" wrote:
What is the process to use to kill the weeds in my st. Augustine grass. I
know it's not a overnight process, but I have to start somewhere?

Scott's Weed and Feed if it's a nice healthy lawn. Unless you have
those weeds that have "spurs". I can't think of the name of them right
now, but there is only one product that will kill them. It's very
expensive and you have to get it from a specialty store. Home Depot or
Lowes doesn't carry it.

We have a nasty pest in Florida, one of many household plants that
become invasive...asparagus fern. Not a fern, but a nasty, spiky vine
with lots of tubers. They bear berries that birds carry off and really
mess up hedges, etc. Cut to the ground, wait for new growth to reach
about 3" and then paint with a brush and Roundup. Rather fussy, but
much easier than trying to dig them up. Did same with a few lawn weeds
that were tough. Would work nicely for the occasional dandelion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:
On Mar 15, 9:03 pm, Ron wrote:
On Mar 14, 3:27 pm, "bob callaway" wrote:

What is the process to use to kill the weeds in my st. Augustine grass. I
know it's not a overnight process, but I have to start somewhere?

Scott's Weed and Feed if it's a nice healthy lawn. Unless you have
those weeds that have "spurs". I can't think of the name of them right
now, but there is only one product that will kill them. It's very
expensive and you have to get it from a specialty store. Home Depot or
Lowes doesn't carry it.

Globe sedge is what it's called, and it is very hard to get rid of.
Some lawn services won't even guarantee complete removal.

http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/Weeds/Sedge_Globe.aspx

Our lawn service and the neighbor's were surprised when we got rid of
dollar weed (southern version) with Weed B Gone. Worked very quickly on
a lawn that was covered with it. The little that remained was spot
treated and S.A. grass fills in pretty quickly...good reason to use
after fertilizing grass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

Yep, Orlando. Like I said, home 1 lawn fine with little work. Home 2
lawn sucks. No matter what I've tried I couldn't keep it alive. I'm
done with it. Obviously this cul-de-sac is just a bad area to try and
have a nice lawn. Had a neighbor that re-sodded theirs 2 yrs ago, and
now 75% of it is weeds.

The first time I walked barefoot on St. Augustine grass it gave me
creeps. I've gotten accustomed to most Florida stuff ) Our condo
lawn was half dead and badly neglected when we moved in, partly due to a
broken down irrig. system. When my husband and I worked on it, it took
a full two years to get rid of all of the nasty crap people had planted
around patios, etc. We fert. 3x year, which is what U. of Fla.
recommends for "medium maintenance" lawn. We got a lush, healthy weed
free lawn. I'm not into spending all my time and money growing grass,
but know proper practices will keep it healthy and attractive. I've
watched other people dump bag after bag of poison on the lawn (which
adjoins waterway) trying to kill fire ants....a little bit of Amdro,
used properly, goes a long way. We never broadcast it, just sprinkle
along pavement and around mounds. When we were spending a lot of time
making repairs, we noticed how the bug populations ebbed and waned...lot
of fire ants, no mole crickets. Mole crickets eat everything, but fire
ants eat their babies )

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/topics/lawngarden/index.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:
On Mar 15, 9:15 pm, "
wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Mar 14, 7:50 pm, JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

You water with reclaimed water?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Mar 16, 8:41*am, "
wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Mar 15, 9:15 pm, "
wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Mar 14, 7:50 pm, JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

Nope. And don't water at all now...lol No grass and a lower water
bill....still have to mow the damn weeds though. Gotta mow today after
all the rain we had last week. Wish I could afford one of those
artificial lawns.
Posted to alt.home.repair
so so is offline

On Mar 15, 6:03*pm, Ron wrote:
On Mar 14, 3:27*pm, "bob callaway" wrote:

What is the process to use to kill the weeds in my st. Augustine grass. I
know it's not a overnight process, but I have to start somewhere?

Scott's Weed and Feed if it's a nice healthy lawn. Unless you have
those weeds that have "spurs". I can't think of the name of them right
now, but there is only one product that will kill them. It's very
expensive and you have to get it from a specialty store. Home Depot or
Lowes doesn't carry it.

Weed and Feed will kill St. Augustine grass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

so wrote:
On Mar 15, 6:03 pm, Ron wrote:
On Mar 14, 3:27 pm, "bob callaway" wrote:

What is the process to use to kill the weeds in my st. Augustine grass. I
know it's not a overnight process, but I have to start somewhere?

Scott's Weed and Feed if it's a nice healthy lawn. Unless you have
those weeds that have "spurs". I can't think of the name of them right
now, but there is only one product that will kill them. It's very
expensive and you have to get it from a specialty store. Home Depot or
Lowes doesn't carry it.

Weed and Feed will kill St. Augustine grass.

It won't if you water it in. It will kill the grass only if it stays in
the gress blades.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 19:03:49 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

Unless you have
those weeds that have "spurs". I can't think of the name of them right
now, but there is only one product that will kill them. It's very
expensive and you have to get it from a specialty store. Home Depot or
Lowes doesn't carry it.

"Sand Spurs", we called them. As a kid we had "sand spur" fights. If
you step on them bare footed, at the beach, they can be a PITA to get
them out

pic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:St..._echinatus.jpg

"The common sandbur or coastal sandbur (Cenchrus spinifex) is a
perennial grass that grows from 5 to 30 inches high in sandy or
gravelly terrain. It is found throughout the southern United States.."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cenchrus

We got rid of them with a shovel or burning..

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:

Unless you have
those weeds that have "spurs". I can't think of the name of them right
now, but there is only one product that will kill them. It's very
expensive and you have to get it from a specialty store. Home Depot or
Lowes doesn't carry it.

"Sand Spurs", we called them.

Not the same thing as what I'm talking about. Globe sedge.

http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/Weeds/Sedge_Globe.aspx

Damn seeds spread like crazy if you mow them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Unless you have
those weeds that have "spurs". I can't think of the name of them right
now, but there is only one product that will kill them. It's very
expensive and you have to get it from a specialty store. Home Depot or
Lowes doesn't carry it.

"Sand Spurs", we called them.

Not the same thing as what I'm talking about. Globe sedge.

http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/Weeds/Sedge_Globe.aspx

Damn seeds spread like crazy if you mow them.

The only solution is a "search and destroy" mission.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Mar 16, 10:12*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
My experience with living where St. Augustine flourishes: *A climate where
everything else grows as well. *One MUST mow their St. Augustine every week,
or if you don't, you have to do more than one mowing to cut it down a little
at a time. *Where St. Augustine flourishes, people don't know what an
irrigation system is, as there is plenty of moisture and rainfall to keep it
going.

Hence, an abundance of weeds. *You have gotten some good advice here with
specific weeds. *Your local nursery and co-op should be able to help you,
too. *Look into pre-emergent herbicides, and these, if applied at EXACTLY
the right time, can cut down on a LOT.

Spendy, though.

HTH

Steve

And always cut with the mower deck at 4".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
My experience with living where St. Augustine flourishes: A climate where
everything else grows as well. One MUST mow their St. Augustine every week,
or if you don't, you have to do more than one mowing to cut it down a little
at a time. Where St. Augustine flourishes, people don't know what an
irrigation system is, as there is plenty of moisture and rainfall to keep it
going.

Whaaaaaat? Florida? Don't know anyone with S.A. grass who doesn't have
an irrigation system....too much water in summer, none in winter. Last
year, Tampa was so dry they got down to forbidding lawn watering. But,
then, during the recent freeze the strawberry farms had to water to
protect their crops and caused a rash of sink-hole collapses. Ah,
paradise...pythons, fire ants, monitor lizards, poisonous toads, walking
catfish, tourists.

Hence, an abundance of weeds. You have gotten some good advice here with
specific weeds. Your local nursery and co-op should be able to help you,
too. Look into pre-emergent herbicides, and these, if applied at EXACTLY
the right time, can cut down on a LOT.

Spendy, though.

HTH

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 11:13*pm, "
wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
On Mar 14, 4:27 pm, "bob callaway" wrote:
What is the process to use to kill the weeds in my st. Augustine grass.. I
know it's not a overnight process, but I have to start somewhere?

St Augustine grass usually needs little help. It will choke out just
about anything if it is healthy. Best thing is to keep it watered and
fertilized and it will do its thing. St Augustine does go dormant in
the winter. If the weeds are coming up before it comes out of its
dormant period you can go ahead and spray with Roundup and it wont
hurt the grass. This gets rid of most weeds, wild onions and competing
grasses.

Jimmie

Roundup kills everything, including grass.

Not if the grass is dormant when you apply it.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 9:58*pm, Ron wrote:
On Mar 14, 7:50*pm, JIMMIE wrote:

[...]

Ive only had to use roundup a few times on a newly sprigged lawn. This
gave it the fighting chance it needed to take off. Only had chinch bug
one time and Spectracide took care of that.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 23:05:25 -0400, "
wrote:

Whaaaaaat? Florida? Don't know anyone with S.A. grass who doesn't have
an irrigation system....too much water in summer, none in winter. Last
year, Tampa was so dry they got down to forbidding lawn watering. But,
then, during the recent freeze the strawberry farms had to water to
protect their crops and caused a rash of sink-hole collapses. Ah,
paradise...pythons, fire ants, monitor lizards, poisonous toads, walking
catfish, tourists.

Just last week, became an open season on pythons and monitor lizards
in Florida. Fire ants, walking catfish and Buffo toads have been
there for years.

*Save the oranges and berries
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Mar 16, 11:05*pm, "
wrote:
Steve B wrote:
My experience with living where St. Augustine flourishes: *A climate where
everything else grows as well. *One MUST mow their St. Augustine every week,
or if you don't, you have to do more than one mowing to cut it down a little
at a time. *Where St. Augustine flourishes, people don't know what an
irrigation system is, as there is plenty of moisture and rainfall to keep it
going.

Whaaaaaat? *Florida? *Don't know anyone with S.A. grass who doesn't have
an irrigation system....too much water in summer, none in winter. *Last
year, Tampa was so dry they got down to forbidding lawn watering. *But,
then, during the recent freeze the strawberry farms had to water to
protect their crops and caused a rash of sink-hole collapses. *Ah,
paradise...pythons, fire ants, monitor lizards, poisonous toads, walking
catfish, tourists.

Home 1 that I mentioned in this thread didn't have a sprinkler
system.

When it needed watering I used the spikes.

One thing about that lawn though, it was lake front (back of house to
the lake) and that part of the lawn looked awesome! Never had to do
anything to it. And I'm talking about a LOT of St Augustine. Back yard
was about 200' W by 150' D (depending on how high the lake was).

First thing I did after buying that home was go to Sears and buy a 42"
riding mower.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 11:35*pm, Ron wrote:
On Mar 16, 11:05*pm, "
wrote:

Steve B wrote:
[...]

How far down in Fl do you have to be for SA to stay green all year
round?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Mar 17, 12:00*am, JIMMIE wrote:
On Mar 16, 11:35*pm, Ron wrote:

On Mar 16, 11:05*pm, "
wrote:

Steve B wrote:
[...]

I'm in Orlando, and home 1 stayed green all yr long. Just didn't have
to mow it in the "winter".

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Mar 17, 12:09*am, Ron wrote:
On Mar 17, 12:00*am, JIMMIE wrote:

On Mar 16, 11:35*pm, Ron wrote:

On Mar 16, 11:05*pm, "
wrote:

Steve B wrote:
[...]

Let me add to that. I bought the home from a contractor, and he added
about 2 ft of topsoil before laying the sod. The back and one side of
that house was always in direct sun light, so it was very healthy.

The home I own now, has no topsoil, so that doesn't help matters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:
On Mar 15, 9:03 pm, Ron wrote:
On Mar 14, 3:27 pm, "bob callaway" wrote:

What is the process to use to kill the weeds in my st. Augustine grass. I
know it's not a overnight process, but I have to start somewhere?

Scott's Weed and Feed if it's a nice healthy lawn. Unless you have
those weeds that have "spurs". I can't think of the name of them right
now, but there is only one product that will kill them. It's very
expensive and you have to get it from a specialty store. Home Depot or
Lowes doesn't carry it.

Globe sedge is what it's called, and it is very hard to get rid of.
Some lawn services won't even guarantee complete removal.

http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/Weeds/Sedge_Globe.aspx

This sounds as pesky as Johnson Grass, a noxious weed. I purchased a
fairly new home that had this stuff in it. I had to spray Roundup on
3/4 of it two years ago. My lawn looked disastrous all that summer. I
interviewed two lawn pro's and they both told me to do the same thing.
I was ready to rip the lawn out and rock it in as it is a small patch,
in my front yard. This is a five-year process and I need to keep on top
of it. This is my third summer coming up, and I have made quite a bit
of progress. I just need to keep on top of it.

You are not alone with lawn problems.

Good luck, I wish I had the answer for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Ron wrote:
[...]

This is what I have to do to get rid of a noxious weed in my lawn called
Johnson Grass. I got rid of most of it two years ago spraying Roundup
on 3/4 of my lawn. It looked awful all summer. Now, I just take a
paint brush and paint the leaves, and eventually the new stuff will die.
At least the yard does not look as bad as it used to. I was told this
is a five-year ordeal, and it is working. I am going on three years
now. Digging them up did not help as the tubers are way underground.

I was told the birds bring it in, plus I believe two of my neighbors
have it, and are not aware that it is a noxious weed.

I don't know, I may be wasting my time, because if the neighbors' have
it, the wind will blow it into my yard.

Oh the joys of home ownership.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:00:00 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE
wrote:

On Mar 16, 11:35 pm, Ron wrote:
On Mar 16, 11:05 pm, "
wrote:

Steve B wrote:
[...]

Tampa will be green all year but like Norminn says, for about 3-4
month of that year you will be putting about 27,000 gallons of water
per acre per week on it minimum to keep it green (1" of water per
week). If it turns brown you will probably lose it.

Hell's bells! By the time you put 1" of water on a Florida lawn, half
of it will be back in the aquifier. You can saturate the root zone with
a lot less than 1". This is where proper mowing and feeding come in -
cut it high, at least 3" and preferably 4", and keep it healthy so it
doesn't dry out. The city waters during the day, when homeowners are
forbidden....nice afternoon wind and the water blows across the
street) We converted a good deal of lawn to islands with hardy
plants, and difficult areas to river rock.
Building code forbids "all stone" lawns, allowing stone for just areas
that won't grow green stuff.

We got a real good chance to see that here in Ft Myers when the
foreclosures stopped getting watered. The yards were deserts in less
than a month and when the rains came there were just weeds.
I will stick with my Bahia. It comes back just fine from a drought.
They already restrict when and how much water you can put on the lawn.
I guarantee it is just a matter of time here in Florida before they
just ban watering your lawn completely. It is pretty short sighted to
be putting your drinking water on the grass. The problem will probably
just be cured with the price they will have to pay for it.

We are again talking about putting reclaimed water into the aquifiers.
Might save on medical expenses, given the levels of pharmaceuticals
found in ground water ) Drink your Prozac daily and nothing will
bother you, even lumpy water )
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What is the process to use to kill the weeds in my st. Augustine grass. I
know it's not a overnight process, but I have to start somewhere?

First step is to identify the "weeds." Not knowing that there's not
too much to offer a practical solution.