Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default I want to kill the weeds in my St. Augustine grass

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 15:27:32 -0500, "bob callaway"
wrote:

What is the process to use to kill the weeds in my st. Augustine grass. I
know it's not a overnight process, but I have to start somewhere?

Is St. Augustine somehow different from other grass? I generally just apply
fertilizer with a broadleaf weed killer in the spring, after the second or
third mowing. Something like (but pretty much any brand will do):
http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/pr...roId=prod70020

St. Augustine is very different and requires special herbicides. Weed
BGone always worked for us for BROADLEAF weeds...used it when hubby was
building manager for our condo. We had loads of dollar weed and other
broadleaafs...WBG killed almost all of the dollar weed first appl. It
is not necessary to use every year...once treated, with proper mowing
and watering, only spot treatment is needed. Grassy weeds, like goose
grass, need other herbicides and very careful timing because they are
pre-emergents herbicides.

Have to be careful with WBG not to get it on shrubs and other broadleaf
plants. There is a caution, I think, about using in root zones but it
never hurt any other plants when we used it. Weeds should be "actively
growing", so we would fertilize and then treat for weeds about two weeks
later. WBG, last time I used it, was labeled for St. Augustine
specifically; don't use an herbicide that is not. Don't want to use
when weather is very hot/dry.

A slow-release fertilizer is also best to use. $cott's is a brand I avoid;