Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kodak ESP 5210 printer scanner copier and perhaps fax, i never triedfaxing with it

push any button and it powers off immediately

i like this printer and just bought multi packs of ink.....

any ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 13:42:18 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

push any button and it powers off immediately

i like this printer and just bought multi packs of ink.....

any ideas?

I went through a fit with a Kodak printer. Love it as the ink is less
cost than other printers. Try using another (new /extra) USB cable
Worked for me. What is your error message?

bob_villa is the smartest guy around. Perhaps she has an answer
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote in news:257ab892-5317-4f2d-b9d7-
:

push any button and it powers off immediately

i like this printer and just bought multi packs of ink.....

any ideas?

Had a similar problem with a Kodak printer (can't remember the model). I
ended up having to throw it out. I never could find a solution.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 15, 2015 at 3:42:22 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
push any button and it powers off immediately

i like this printer and just bought multi packs of ink.....

any ideas?

Did it happen after changing cartridges or loading paper? Paper jam? Has anyone else used it? I'm sure you must have tried unplugging and powering it up again. It sounds like a power problem with print head carriage or paper feed...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 15, 2015 at 6:41:45 PM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, June 15, 2015 at 3:42:22 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
push any button and it powers off immediately

i like this printer and just bought multi packs of ink.....

any ideas?

Did it happen after changing cartridges or loading paper? Paper jam? Has anyone else used it? I'm sure you must have tried unplugging and powering it up again. It sounds like a power problem with print head carriage or paper feed...

it was acting flakey right before it died, no error message touch any button and it shuts down.

i guess i could try the other color cartridge, since i already own the cartridge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 15, 2015 at 1:42:22 PM UTC-7, bob haller wrote:
push any button and it powers off immediately

i like this printer and just bought multi packs of ink.....

any ideas?

Try posting to sci.electronics.repair
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
On Monday, June 15, 2015 at 6:41:45 PM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, June 15, 2015 at 3:42:22 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
push any button and it powers off immediately

i like this printer and just bought multi packs of ink.....

any ideas?

Did it happen after changing cartridges or loading paper? Paper jam? Has anyone else used it? I'm sure you must have tried unplugging and powering it up again. It sounds like a power problem with print head carriage or paper feed...

it was acting flakey right before it died, no error message touch any button and it shuts down.

i guess i could try the other color cartridge, since i already own the cartridge.

Logic tells me you may have a short on the control panel board.
Unplug it and work/tap every button on the panel and try again.
I am never going back to inkjet printer. Love multi function color
laser printer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/15/2015 11:09 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

[snip]

Logic tells me you may have a short on the control panel board.
Unplug it and work/tap every button on the panel and try again.
I am never going back to inkjet printer. Love multi function color
laser printer.

I find my laser printer much better than an inkjet.

One reason it that is is more reliable. No printheads that don't work
because they're clogged.

One limitation is the laser won't print on glossy photo paper, but I
don't need that very often.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"I'm an atheist, and that's *it*. I belive there's nothing we can know
except that we should be kind to each other and do what we can for other
people." [Katherine Hepburn]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/15/2015 4:42 PM, bob haller wrote:
push any button and it powers off immediately

i like this printer and just bought multi packs of ink.....

any ideas?

Pretty poor reviews on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-Wireless...ews/B006MWZM08

Personally I'd suspect brand name only probably cheap Chinese piece of junk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 9:04:45 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:

Worst case, he can probably sell the new ink cartridges on Ebay

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 06/15/2015 11:09 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

[snip]

Logic tells me you may have a short on the control panel board.
Unplug it and work/tap every button on the panel and try again.
I am never going back to inkjet printer. Love multi function color
laser printer.

I find my laser printer much better than an inkjet.

One reason it that is is more reliable. No printheads that don't work
because they're clogged.

One limitation is the laser won't print on glossy photo paper, but I
don't need that very often.

Ditto. Laser is not good for picture printing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
On 6/15/2015 4:42 PM, bob haller wrote:
push any button and it powers off immediately

i like this printer and just bought multi packs of ink.....

any ideas?

Pretty poor reviews on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-Wireless...ews/B006MWZM08

Personally I'd suspect brand name only probably cheap Chinese piece of
junk.

There are vine reviewers every where. have to read them with grain of salt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Logic tells me you may have a short on the control panel board.
Unplug it and work/tap every button on the panel and try again.
I am never going back to inkjet printer. Love multi function color
laser printer.

thanks i worked over the control panel, blew the dust out with a compressor. and cleaned the unit completely.

the unit says its connected by wi fi but it wouldnt print.

so i am still troubleshooting that......

the wierd push any button unit powers off problem is gone
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/16/2015 12:28 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Frank wrote:
On 6/15/2015 4:42 PM, bob haller wrote:
push any button and it powers off immediately

i like this printer and just bought multi packs of ink.....

any ideas?

Pretty poor reviews on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-Wireless...ews/B006MWZM08

Personally I'd suspect brand name only probably cheap Chinese piece of
junk.

There are vine reviewers every where. have to read them with grain of salt.

One or two excellent reviews are always suspect.

I've reviewed several items which were great out of the box but became a
headache a month later and you can't go back and change them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:

Logic tells me you may have a short on the control panel board.
Unplug it and work/tap every button on the panel and try again.
I am never going back to inkjet printer. Love multi function color
laser printer.

thanks i worked over the control panel, blew the dust out with a compressor. and cleaned the unit completely.

the unit says its connected by wi fi but it wouldnt print.

so i am still troubleshooting that......

the wierd push any button unit powers off problem is gone

Have a user manual? No? Download it or read the PDF.
Did you go thru set up? Like security passphrase, etc. Printer
is seeing the WiFi signal but you did not finish set up to
connect. Are you using WiFi router? What is the SSID? Printer sees
it? Then initiate connection routine to that SSID answering questions it
is asking, like WPA2, then passphrase, etc. Or if know how to do WPS,
and if the router and printer has WPS buttons, it makes things simple.
You push WPS button on the router, then push the same on the printer.
Otherwise you have to manually set up. I'd give the printer a fixed IP
address. Some routers like Netgear has software WPS button others like
Linksys(Belkin) has a real button. I never owned a Kodak printer.
If it is really connected did you try to (test)print? What does printer
queue say? My WiFi laser printer is always in sleep, as soon as printer
queue has something print, it wakes up, print, goes back to sleep. Never
goes off line. If you need any more info/help just let me know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
On 6/15/2015 4:42 PM, bob haller wrote:
push any button and it powers off immediately

i like this printer and just bought multi packs of ink.....

any ideas?

Pretty poor reviews on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-Wireless...ews/B006MWZM08

Personally I'd suspect brand name only probably cheap Chinese piece of
junk.

There are vine reviewers every where. have to read them with grain of
salt.

One or two excellent reviews are always suspect.

I've reviewed several items which were great out of the box but became a
headache a month later and you can't go back and change them.

Hi,
You caan do a update as follow up, I think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 7:46:06 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

Logic tells me you may have a short on the control panel board.
Unplug it and work/tap every button on the panel and try again.
I am never going back to inkjet printer. Love multi function color
laser printer.

thanks i worked over the control panel, blew the dust out with a compressor. and cleaned the unit completely.

the unit says its connected by wi fi but it wouldnt print.

so i am still troubleshooting that......

the wierd push any button unit powers off problem is gone

It should have a self test, print a page test that can be
activated by pushing some combination of buttons, printers
typically do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 9:51:51 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 7:46:06 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

Logic tells me you may have a short on the control panel board.
Unplug it and work/tap every button on the panel and try again.
I am never going back to inkjet printer. Love multi function color
laser printer.

thanks i worked over the control panel, blew the dust out with a compressor. and cleaned the unit completely.

the unit says its connected by wi fi but it wouldnt print.

so i am still troubleshooting that......

the wierd push any button unit powers off problem is gone

It should have a self test, print a page test that can be
activated by pushing some combination of buttons, printers
typically do.

self test prints a nice test sheet

havent had time to troubleshoot the wouldnt print issue from the computer
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 11:00:56 AM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
[...]

Well, that's good news. It's very likely the remaining issue
is just getting it setup with the PC.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Jun 2015 08:36:59 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

....and check the web site for newer software and driver. My Kodak
needed a flash fix on a chip. When a print head when out after
warranty, customer service sent me one free of any charge, though out
of warranty. ISTR Kodak no longer makes printers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 15, 2015 at 3:42:22 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
push any button and it powers off immediately

i like this printer and just bought multi packs of ink.....

any ideas?

http://www.funai.us/archives/485/

Besides Kodak, this company has the branding rights for Sylvania, Emerson, Sanyo, Magnavox, and others.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
On 6/15/2015 4:42 PM, bob haller wrote:
push any button and it powers off immediately

i like this printer and just bought multi packs of ink.....

any ideas?

Pretty poor reviews on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-Wireless...ews/B006MWZM08

Personally I'd suspect brand name only probably cheap Chinese piece of
junk.

There are vine reviewers every where. have to read them with grain of
salt.

One or two excellent reviews are always suspect.

I've reviewed several items which were great out of the box but became a
headache a month later and you can't go back and change them.

Hi,
You caan do a update as follow up, I think.

Did not think you could but people will come back and ask questions
about your review and you can answer them and include comments such as
it worked fine out of the box but has given me headaches since.

Amazon frequently asks for a review before you have opened the package.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/16/2015 07:01 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

[snip]

Have a user manual? No? Download it or read the PDF.
Did you go thru set up? Like security passphrase, etc. Printer
is seeing the WiFi signal but you did not finish set up to
connect. Are you using WiFi router? What is the SSID? Printer sees
it? Then initiate connection routine to that SSID answering questions it
is asking, like WPA2, then passphrase, etc. Or if know how to do WPS,
and if the router and printer has WPS buttons, it makes things simple.
You push WPS button on the router, then push the same on the printer.
Otherwise you have to manually set up. I'd give the printer a fixed IP
address. Some routers like Netgear has software WPS button others like
Linksys(Belkin) has a real button. I never owned a Kodak printer.

Or, how about an ethernet cable? It's a lot simpler and more reliable.
No SSID, WPA, WPS, etc... to get right.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"People who feel themselves to be exiles in this world are mightily
inclined to believe themselves citizens of another." [George Santayana]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Jun 2015 12:22:51 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

[...]

Bingo. +1

I started with a cable and never set-up WiFi for printing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

my GF has a laptop so the wi fi is really useful

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Jun 2015 11:15:26 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

I started with a cable and never set-up WiFi for printing.

my GF has a laptop so the wi fi is really useful

I can appreciate that need. If I set up our Kodak printer as WiFi I
could print stuff wireless.. I normally just print from her machine
or send her text to print. Not very often I need something printed.

Girls sure do print a lot of stuff
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 06/16/2015 07:01 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

[snip]

Have a user manual? No? Download it or read the PDF.
Did you go thru set up? Like security passphrase, etc. Printer
is seeing the WiFi signal but you did not finish set up to
connect. Are you using WiFi router? What is the SSID? Printer sees
it? Then initiate connection routine to that SSID answering questions it
is asking, like WPA2, then passphrase, etc. Or if know how to do WPS,et up right on the
and if the router and printer has WPS buttons, it makes things simple.
You push WPS button on the router, then push the same on the printer.
Otherwise you have to manually set up. I'd give the printer a fixed IP
address. Some routers like Netgear has software WPS button others like
Linksys(Belkin) has a real button. I never owned a Kodak printer.

Or, how about an ethernet cable? It's a lot simpler and more reliable.
No SSID, WPA, WPS, etc... to get right.

The printer has WiFi or USB connection, I believe. WiFi set up is right
on the control panel menu.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You can't connect the printer directly to WiFi card, you connect it
to your home network via WiFi router. If you don't have a network,
use USB connection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Jun 2015 15:19:19 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Hi,
You can't connect the printer directly to WiFi card, you connect it
to your home network via WiFi router. If you don't have a network,
use USB connection.

I mentioned a USB cable; earlier in my threads.

A cable test would separate the problem as cable vs WiFi issue.

.... p.s. - don't drink whiskey and change your computer operating
system! wink
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 5:19:29 PM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:

my GF has a laptop so the wi fi is really useful

Hi,
You can't connect the printer directly to WiFi card, you connect it
to your home network via WiFi router. If you don't have a network,
use USB connection.

That's typically how it's done. Wireless printer talks to wireless
router and then other devices, wireless or wired that are connected
to the router access the printer via the router. Bob must have a
wireless router if the laptop is getting on the internet. So, he
could use an Ethernet cable connection between the printer and router
as has been suggested. That's how my printer is connected. It's
always the preferred way, if it can be easily done physically,
instead of relying on wireless.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/17/2015 01:15 PM, bob haller wrote:

[snip]

Or, how about an ethernet cable? It's a lot simpler and more reliable.
No SSID, WPA, WPS, etc... to get right.

Bingo. +1

I started with a cable and never set-up WiFi for printing.

my GF has a laptop so the wi fi is really useful

It often is, and I have no objection to WiFi where you need it. I'm just
against it for a fixed installation, like a desktop or printer that's
seldom if ever moved.

BTW, I have a Epson printer (all-in-one inkjet). It has WiFi which has
never been used.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it." [Oscar
Wilde]
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I started with a cable and never set-up WiFi for printing.

my GF has a laptop so the wi fi is really useful

I can appreciate that need. If I set up our Kodak printer as WiFi I
could print stuff wireless.. I normally just print from her machine
or send her text to print. Not very often I need something printed.

Girls sure do print a lot of stuff

In suppose you know that most networks use a switch and/or WiFi access
point (usually physically pare of a router). The connections are
laptop-router and router-printer (not directly laptop-printer). The
laptop connection being WiFi has nothing to do with the printer connection.

BTW, now I am typing this on a laptop with a WiFi connection (it's one
of those thin laptops with no wired ethernet). I frequently print to a
network printer that has only a wired connection.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it." [Oscar
Wilde]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/17/2015 04:16 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

[snip]

The printer has WiFi or USB connection, I believe. WiFi set up is right
on the control panel menu.

You could check. Most have an ethernet port (looks like a phone jack,
but is wider with 8 contacts). If you have one, it's the best way to
connect.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it." [Oscar
Wilde]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/17/2015 04:19 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

[snip]

Hi,
You can't connect the printer directly to WiFi card, you connect it
to your home network via WiFi router. If you don't have a network,
use USB connection.

Yes. Still, a lot of people have home networks now.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it." [Oscar
Wilde]
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 06/17/2015 01:15 PM, bob haller wrote:

[snip]

Or, how about an ethernet cable? It's a lot simpler and more reliable.
No SSID, WPA, WPS, etc... to get right.

Bingo. +1

I started with a cable and never set-up WiFi for printing.

my GF has a laptop so the wi fi is really useful

It often is, and I have no objection to WiFi where you need it. I'm just
against it for a fixed installation, like a desktop or printer that's
seldom if ever moved.

BTW, I have a Epson printer (all-in-one inkjet). It has WiFi which has
never been used.

WiFi connection enables all users on the network share the printer.
Actually it is WiFi network printer. Ethernet connection will do same.
USB connected printer can be shared too but the PC it connects to has to
stay powered up to do that. This particular Kodak seems to have WiFi or
USB connection only. Now new printers are Airprint capable, Apple iOS
can use it easily. We're more and more wireless dependent every day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 11:21:03 AM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 06/17/2015 01:15 PM, bob haller wrote:

[snip]

Or, how about an ethernet cable? It's a lot simpler and more reliable.
No SSID, WPA, WPS, etc... to get right.

Bingo. +1

I started with a cable and never set-up WiFi for printing.

my GF has a laptop so the wi fi is really useful

It often is, and I have no objection to WiFi where you need it. I'm just
against it for a fixed installation, like a desktop or printer that's
seldom if ever moved.

BTW, I have a Epson printer (all-in-one inkjet). It has WiFi which has
never been used.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it." [Oscar
Wilde]

The main purpose in using wifi for a printer would be if it's located
where it would be difficult to connect to the router via Ethernet. Mine
is connected with Ethernet, much more reliable in my experience.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 11:45:09 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

And if he wants to connect it via Ethernet, I'd download the install
software that should be on Kodak's website. Then go into control panel,
delete the existing printer, then run the install software.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/18/2015 10:45 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

The main purpose in using wifi for a printer would be if it's located
where it would be difficult to connect to the router via Ethernet. Mine
is connected with Ethernet, much more reliable in my experience.

True, there are always places where you can't run a cable. I just meant
a cable should be considered first.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it." [Oscar
Wilde]
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 06/18/2015 10:45 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

The main purpose in using wifi for a printer would be if it's located
where it would be difficult to connect to the router via Ethernet. Mine
is connected with Ethernet, much more reliable in my experience.

True, there are always places where you can't run a cable. I just meant
a cable should be considered first.

Copper is always more secure. Either way, the purpose of network
printing is to share one printer amongst users. In my house
there are 3 desktop PCs, 3 laptops, 2 iPADs, 1 Macbook sharing the printer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/18/2015 02:19 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

[snip]

Copper is always more secure.

Right. No WiFi security could be as secure as not having physical
access. and something like WPA2 adds a lot to the complexity, so there's
more to go wrong.

Either way, the purpose of network
printing is to share one printer amongst users. In my house
there are 3 desktop PCs, 3 laptops, 2 iPADs, 1 Macbook sharing the printer.

I have seven physical computers here, plus a couple of guest's machines,
and all those can assess my laser printer.

BTW, most of the time the only WiFi connection is with this laptop,
which I do carry around some.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/