Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Better start hoarding those 60-watt incandescents...

The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to disappear from store shelves.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...l-burn-no-more
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to
disappear from store shelves.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...l-burn-no-more

I saw a pile of 57 watt bulbs at a store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/14, 2:07 PM, Bob wrote:
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to
disappear from store shelves.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...l-burn-no-more

Maybe in Canada, but if the US Senate passes the current spending
bill, there is an amendment in it that cancels the US ban on
incandescents.

This from :
http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/10/politi...html?hpt=hp_t1

"Old fashioned light bulbs still allowed: The bill blocks new energy
efficient standards that would have made incandescent light bulbs
obsolete. Consumers had complained about the new requirements."
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob[_66_] View Post
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to disappear from store shelves.

Incandescent bulbs will burn no more | The Chronicle Herald
The real question is: Why would anyone want to use an incandescent bulb when CFL's and LED's will provide the same amount of light at a lower cost.?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/12/2014 1:21 PM, Retired wrote:

Maybe in Canada, but if the US Senate passes the current spending bill,
there is an amendment in it that cancels the US ban on incandescents.

Unfortunately, the ship has already sailed I'm afraid...it seems
unlikely to me any manufacturer will pick up production from closed
facilities presuming even the restriction riders do stand up (which I'd
not put much faith in altho anything is theoretically possible in that
regard)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 12/12/2014 1:21 PM, Retired wrote:

Maybe in Canada, but if the US Senate passes the current spending bill,
there is an amendment in it that cancels the US ban on incandescents.

Unfortunately, the ship has already sailed I'm afraid...it seems unlikely
to me any manufacturer will pick up production from closed facilities
presuming even the restriction riders do stand up (which I'd not put much
faith in altho anything is theoretically possible in that regard)

some Malaysian factory will forego the possibility of selling items
consumers want? BAH!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 14:07:28 -0500, Bob wrote:

The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to disappear from store shelves.

Maybe I can kill me some baby seals with a club; render that blubber,
and kill whales with my harpoon. Store up some lamp oil for future
use.

What if we all riot and enter stores to put the bulbs back on the
shelf...?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 12, 2014 2:07:33 PM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to disappear from store shelves.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...l-burn-no-more

I bought a gross of 100, 60, and 40 when they started banning them, which should last my lifetime.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 14:07:28 -0500, Bob wrote:

The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to
disappear from store shelves.

Maybe I can kill me some baby seals with a club; render that blubber,
and kill whales with my harpoon. Store up some lamp oil for future
use.

What if we all riot and enter stores to put the bulbs back on the
shelf...?

Or you could just **** somebuddy's mother.
Don't forget about that.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to
disappear from store shelves.

Never tell me what to do, bob.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 11:39 AM, Reggie wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 12/12/2014 1:21 PM, Retired wrote:

Maybe in Canada, but if the US Senate passes the current spending bill,
there is an amendment in it that cancels the US ban on incandescents.

Unfortunately, the ship has already sailed I'm afraid...it seems unlikely
to me any manufacturer will pick up production from closed facilities
presuming even the restriction riders do stand up (which I'd not put much
faith in altho anything is theoretically possible in that regard)

some Malaysian factory will forego the possibility of selling items
consumers want? BAH!

Or the Chinese! Bulbs with a lifespan of two weeks and that
smell like cat pee when hot!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 writes:

On Friday, December 12, 2014 2:07:33 PM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to disappear from store shelves.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...l-burn-no-more

I bought a gross of 100, 60, and 40 when they started banning them, which should last my lifetime.

I just bought a couple of 40 and 60 watt LEDs.

I would not be surprised if _each_ of those bulbs lasts my lifetime.

Beautiful light quality and no more bulb changing.
What's not to like?

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 2:07 PM, Bob wrote:
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to
disappear from store shelves.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...l-burn-no-more

No need for them. LED is far superior
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 12/12/2014 2:07 PM, Bob wrote:
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to
disappear from store shelves.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...l-burn-no-more

No need for them. LED is far superior

not for a room or closet you rarely visit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 2:07 PM, Bob wrote:
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to
disappear from store shelves.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...l-burn-no-more

No need for them. LED is far superior

not for a room or closet you rarely visit.

Good thing most of us have some CFLs that are still going strong
for those uses.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 9:44 PM, Reggie wrote:

No need for them. LED is far superior

not for a room or closet you rarely visit.

True, but in the rarely visitd room the existing bulb will last for
decades. I have a couple like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 12/12/2014 9:44 PM, Reggie wrote:

No need for them. LED is far superior

not for a room or closet you rarely visit.

True, but in the rarely visitd room the existing bulb will last for
decades. I have a couple like that.

I am not going to put an expensive LED into a closet I never use when the
existing bulb goes out.

I do use LEDs in places that are hard to get to for changing bulbs, and
where the bulbs have a high duty cycle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 06:30 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/12/2014 2:07 PM, Bob wrote:
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to
disappear from store shelves.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...l-burn-no-more

No need for them. LED is far superior

Hi Ed,

They said the same thing about CFL's. In theory it
is the case, except that they packed the crappies
electronics they could find on them and the bulbs
(the electronics, not the bulb) would go out
in the same time as an incandescent, making them
a ton more expensive to run.

White LED's require heat ventilation or they will slowly
stop emitting light. Design that badly to cut costs
and place crappy electronics on them and I can see
LED burning out in record time, also making them
a ton more expensive to run.

If anyone knows of a good LED brand that does not do this,
I would love to hear.

-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 2:07 PM, Bob wrote:
[...]

Well, I've had too much experience with the ones that do behave as you
state - but with the LEDs it is the LEDs that are failing, not the
electronics. Crappy construction with poor heat sinking appears to be
the problem, I've got 7 mr16 type bulbs on a light strip.I wewnt
through at least 3 sets of 3X3 watt cree units, ans 2 sets of 4X3
watt, and 1 1/2 sets of COB type units in the last 3 years, after
having halogens last over 8 years. Voltage is not the problem
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 2:07 PM, Bob wrote:
[...]

When white LED's get hot they slowly stop putting out
light. They still draw the same amount of current, just
no light.

Without the proper heat sink, you are just wasting your money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 2:07 PM, Bob wrote:
[...]

It's best the led runs just slightly warm. When they are attached to a heat
sink, the led die usually is hotter than the heat sink. I always look at
led truck or bus stoplights. Many of them fail. They can really run too hot
in the sun.

I just put up an led fixture over the sink. It's supposed to be 60 watt
replacement, but lumens is on the low end just over 600. It seems ok, as
the whole fixture is some kind of metal, which is just slightly warm. As
long as the control circuit keeps working, I expect long life.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Welcome back to the Dark Ages, and a Future of Stupidity !!!! (AKA - Incandescent Prohibition)

The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 2015, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will
start to disappear from store shelves, returning us back to the Dark
Ages.

What these light bulb bans are doing is making our future generations
more stupid, due to a lack of light, and thus taking away our education.

Before the electric light, people were not very intelligent. Electric
lights allowed people to read books in the evening, after a hard days
work, and thus, our world became educated. This is why we saw so many
advancements in electronics, transportation, and even space travel
during the 20th century.

Several years ago, they banned the 100w incandescent bulbs, and reading
became more difficult. Next the 75w incan... bulb was banned, and
people had to curtail their bed time reading, or their eyes would hurt.
In 2015, the 60w and 40w incan.... bulbs will be banned, and we will
once again enter the dark ages, whereas the 25w and smaller bulbs will
barely exceed the illumination of the candles used in the past. Reading
will cease, and the minds of Americans will stop learning. We will once
again enter the age of stupidity, while eye doctors will become the most
demanded professionals. Yet, students in the optic medical profession
will fail their studies, not being able to do their homework after the
sun sets.

Welcome back to the Dark Ages, and a Future of Stupidity !!!!

---
[Be sure to thank our elected officials in Washington, for turning out
the lights in America. (Incandescent Prohibition).
But be it known, that the people in China and other parts of the world
will still have light, and they will soon surpass American educational
levels and thus they will soon dominate the world, and control our
future].

In the meantime, Americans can begin their progression of moving back
into caves, illuminated by candles, while they herd flocks of sheep in
the moonlight, to furnish wool for their future Chinese leaders.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 9:44 PM, Reggie wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

No need for them. LED is far superior

not for a room or closet you rarely visit.

No worries, just pay $40 a bulb for a closet.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 13, 2014 7:54:53 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/12/2014 9:44 PM, Reggie wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

No need for them. LED is far superior

not for a room or closet you rarely visit.

No worries, just pay $40 a bulb for a closet.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

I just saw some basic 60W LEDS at HD that were $5, more choices now under $10.
They are rapidly coming down in price. They even have LED retrofits for 6"
recessed ceiling lights for $15 now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 21:13:31 -0800, Todd wrote:

White LED's require heat ventilation or they will slowly
stop emitting light. Design that badly to cut costs
and place crappy electronics on them and I can see
LED burning out in record time, also making them
a ton more expensive to run.

If anyone knows of a good LED brand that does not do this,
I would love to hear.

Todd, I bought a Cree bulb for $5. It is OK, but the glow of the bulb
does not seem to be even, but the lumens seem about right for the 60w
equivalent rating.

I bought some Osram daylight bulbs for $10. I happen to like the
daylight color balance as it is much whiter. So far, I like them a
lot, but they are only about 6 month old so I cannot really talk about
longevity yet. So far, I'm happy with them and have about a dozen
around the house.

The 60W (850 lumen) seems to be the sweet spot right now. They are
$10 and the 75W equivalent is $20. I also have a couple of floods
that I paid $25 for.
Posted to alt.home.repair

4-packs are on sale now at HD for either $1.39
or $1.59. I don't remember exactly, but they're
cheap. I've got plenty of 75s and 100s to last
for a long time. And I have 40s for hall lights. I
never did use 60s. But if anyone wants 60s, this
is the time to stock up.

Many people mistakenly think incandescent are
illegal to use, because the electric company stuck
them with flourescent bulbs after doing an energy
audit. I get customers who ask if there's a better
solution for their kitchen recessed lights on dimmers
that keep burning out. I explain that fluorescent
are designed for uses where they're neither dimmed
nor turned on and off frequently and that they'd be
better off going back to incandescent. Then they
say, "Oh, I thought those were illegal".
It's amazing how much mis-information can persist
in a society with an allegedly free press.

"Bob" wrote in message
| The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
| Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to
disappear from store shelves.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...l-burn-no-more

Posted to alt.home.repair

| I just bought a couple of 40 and 60 watt LEDs.
|
| I would not be surprised if _each_ of those bulbs lasts my lifetime.
|
| Beautiful light quality and no more bulb changing.
| What's not to like?

Besides the price? I guess we'll just have to wait
and see. And of course it depends on how old you
are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 13, 2014 10:13:27 AM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:
4-packs are on sale now at HD for either $1.39
or $1.59. I don't remember exactly, but they're
cheap. I've got plenty of 75s and 100s to last
for a long time. And I have 40s for hall lights. I
never did use 60s. But if anyone wants 60s, this
is the time to stock up.

Many people mistakenly think incandescent are
illegal to use, because the electric company stuck
them with flourescent bulbs after doing an energy
audit.

Energy audit? If some people think it's illegal to use
incandescents, it's likely because they are confusing the
fact that it's illegal to manufacture them, import them,
with using them. And I haven't seen any of those folks
myself.

I get customers who ask if there's a better
solution for their kitchen recessed lights on dimmers
that keep burning out. I explain that fluorescent
are designed for uses where they're neither dimmed
nor turned on and off frequently and that they'd be
better off going back to incandescent. Then they
say, "Oh, I thought those were illegal".

I would take that to mean that they know it's illegal to manufacture
the most common incandescents and you generally can't buy the most
common ones anymore. And who knows which ones will
be illegal next.

It's amazing how much mis-information can persist
in a society with an allegedly free press.

There may be some confusion. But most people know the govt has
been banning and extending the ban on the most popular incandescent
lights. I don't see anyone here worried about using ones they already have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 13, 2014 10:14:56 AM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:
| I just bought a couple of 40 and 60 watt LEDs.
|
| I would not be surprised if _each_ of those bulbs lasts my lifetime.
|
| Beautiful light quality and no more bulb changing.
| What's not to like?

Besides the price? I guess we'll just have to wait
and see. And of course it depends on how old you
are.

They are down to $5, which certainly seems affordable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 01:19 PM, Reggie wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to
disappear from store shelves.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...l-burn-no-more

I saw a pile of 57 watt bulbs at a store.

Somewhere, I remember seeing an odd-wattage bulb like that. It was meant
for use in traffic lights.

BTW, most of those (traffic lights) seem to use LED arrays now. I
suppose because they last longer.

--
12 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"All great ideas are dangerous." -- Oscar Wilde
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 05:31 PM, Todd wrote:

[snip]
Or the Chinese! Bulbs with a lifespan of two weeks and that
smell like cat pee when hot!

Very hot, and give off unnatural yellowish light. You can get WHITE CFL
and LED lights.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2014 08:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[snip]

Hey, maybe with any luck, we can double
daylight saving time, and have an extra
two hours of daylight every 24 hours.

That's funny. The idea that government can control the amount if
daylight we have.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2014 1:26 PM, sam E wrote:
On 12/13/2014 08:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[snip]

Hey, maybe with any luck, we can double
daylight saving time, and have an extra
two hours of daylight every 24 hours.

That's funny. The idea that government can control the amount if
daylight we have.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Believe me, if it were physically possible,
they would have done so years ago. And many
do believe it's possible.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 12:26:49 -0600, sam E
wrote:

On 12/13/2014 08:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[snip]

Hey, maybe with any luck, we can double
daylight saving time, and have an extra
two hours of daylight every 24 hours.

That's funny. The idea that government can control the amount if
daylight we have.

Not funny at all. I have over 500 hours of daylight in my savings
account. I'm going to use it when I retire and can enjoy the extra
time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-12-12, Bob wrote:
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.

Not in my house. When the federal thugs first started talking about
banning light bulbs I stocked up. We have pretty much a lifetime supply
in the basement of 40, 60, 75, and 100 watt bulbs as well as 50/100/150
three-ways. (We also do not use low-flow toilets or shower heads.)

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-12-13, Mark Lloyd wrote:
BTW, most of those (traffic lights) seem to use LED arrays now. I
suppose because they last longer.

An unintended side effect of this is snow will accumulate on the traffic
light lenses and block them from view. A friend of mine had an accident
due to this when someone ran a (snow-blocked) red light.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2014 3:50 PM, Roger Blake wrote:

An unintended side effect of this is snow will accumulate on the traffic
light lenses and block them from view. A friend of mine had an accident
due to this when someone ran a (snow-blocked) red light.

Someone came up with a small heater, so
that helps keep the snow off. Like the
old filament bulbs, but costs more.

First they came for the 100 watt light bulbs.
I didn't speak up; as I didn't use 100 watt light bulbs.

Then, they came for the 75 watt light bulbs.
I didn't speak up; as I didn't use 75 watt light bulbs.

Then, they came for the 60 watt light bulbs.
I didn't speak up; as I didn't use 60 watt light bulbs.

Then, they came for me.
And there was no one left to speak up for me.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-12-12, Bob wrote:
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.

Not in my house. When the federal thugs first started talking about
banning light bulbs I stocked up. We have pretty much a lifetime supply
in the basement of 40, 60, 75, and 100 watt bulbs as well as 50/100/150
three-ways. (We also do not use low-flow toilets or shower heads.)

They will soon come door to door, looking
for Jews ^h^h^h^h light bulbs. Resistance
is futile.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 15:46:17 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Hey, maybe with any luck, we can double
daylight saving time, and have an extra
two hours of daylight every 24 hours.

That's funny. The idea that government can control the amount if
daylight we have.

Not funny at all. I have over 500 hours of daylight in my savings
account. I'm going to use it when I retire and can enjoy the extra
time.

Heck, I officially retired 12 years ago an still have plenty of
daylight right now. I've burned a lot of it in the past., though. In
fact I'm burning a few hours of daylight today.

Hoarding issues Brian Gaff[_2_] UK diy 8 June 25th 14 01:06 PM
Finally an alternative to incandescents? Nate Nagel Home Repair 133 May 25th 13 05:19 AM
Hoarding? Greg Guarino[_2_] Woodworking 29 November 9th 12 01:37 AM
CFLs vs LEDs vs incandescents: round 1,538 David Nebenzahl Home Repair 141 August 31st 09 10:00 PM
5500 watt elec hot water heater - 5000 watt generator spam disintegrator Home Repair 31 January 6th 07 01:48 PM