Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Better start hoarding those 60-watt incandescents...

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 21:13:31 -0800, Todd wrote:

White LED's require heat ventilation or they will slowly
stop emitting light. Design that badly to cut costs
and place crappy electronics on them and I can see
LED burning out in record time, also making them
a ton more expensive to run.

If anyone knows of a good LED brand that does not do this,
I would love to hear.

Todd, I bought a Cree bulb for $5. It is OK, but the glow of the bulb
does not seem to be even, but the lumens seem about right for the 60w
equivalent rating.

I bought some Osram daylight bulbs for $10. I happen to like the
daylight color balance as it is much whiter. So far, I like them a
lot, but they are only about 6 month old so I cannot really talk about
longevity yet. So far, I'm happy with them and have about a dozen
around the house.

The 60W (850 lumen) seems to be the sweet spot right now. They are
$10 and the 75W equivalent is $20. I also have a couple of floods
that I paid $25 for.